Skip to content

Best All Time QBs

The Browns Board
23 10 2.0k
  • Super Bowl winning QBs:

    Bart Starr 2

    Joe Namath 1

    Len Dawson 1

    John Unitas/Morrall (duties shared in season and in game) 1

    Roger Staubach 2

    Bob Griese 2

    Terry Bradshaw 4

    Ken Stabler 1

    Jim Plunkett 2

    Joe Montana 4

    Joe Theismann 1

    Jim McMahon 1

    Phil Simms 1

    Mark Rypien 1

    Jeff Hostetler 1

    Doug Williams 1

    Troy Aikman 3

    Brett Favre 1

    John Elway 2

    Kurt Warner 1

    Trent Dilfer 1

    Tom Brady 3

    Brad Johnson 1

    Ben Roethlisberger 2

    Payton Manning 1

    Eli Manning 1

    Drew Brees 1

    In case you were counting that was 6 titles by guys named Joe.

  • Super Bowl winning QBs:

    Bart Starr 2

    Joe Namath 1

    Len Dawson 1

    John Unitas/Morrall (duties shared in season and in game) 1

    Roger Staubach 2

    Bob Griese 2

    Terry Bradshaw 4

    Ken Stabler 1

    Jim Plunkett 2

    Joe Montana 4

    Joe Theismann 1

    Jim McMahon 1

    Phil Simms 1

    Mark Rypien 1

    Jeff Hostetler 1

    Doug Williams 1

    Troy Aikman 3

    Brett Favre 1

    John Elway 2

    Kurt Warner 1

    Trent Dilfer 1

    Tom Brady 3

    Brad Johnson 1

    Ben Roethlisberger 2

    Payton Manning 1

    Eli Manning 1

    Drew Brees 1

    In case you were counting that was 6 titles by guys named Joe.

    @the-gipper said:

    Super Bowl winning QBs:

    Bart Starr 2

    Joe Namath 1

    Len Dawson 1

    John Unitas/Morrall (duties shared in season and in game) 1

    Roger Staubach 2

    Bob Griese 2

    Terry Bradshaw 4

    Ken Stabler 1

    Jim Plunkett 2

    Joe Montana 4

    Joe Theismann 1

    Jim McMahon 1

    Phil Simms 1

    Mark Rypien 1

    Jeff Hostetler 1

    Doug Williams 1

    Troy Aikman 3

    Brett Favre 1

    John Elway 2

    Kurt Warner 1

    Trent Dilfer 1

    Tom Brady 3

    Brad Johnson 1

    Ben Roethlisberger 2

    Payton Manning 1

    Eli Manning 1

    Drew Brees 1

    In case you were counting that was 6 titles by guys named Joe.

    Colt McCoy 5

  • @the-gipper said:

    Super Bowl winning QBs:

    Bart Starr 2

    Joe Namath 1

    Len Dawson 1

    John Unitas/Morrall (duties shared in season and in game) 1

    Roger Staubach 2

    Bob Griese 2

    Terry Bradshaw 4

    Ken Stabler 1

    Jim Plunkett 2

    Joe Montana 4

    Joe Theismann 1

    Jim McMahon 1

    Phil Simms 1

    Mark Rypien 1

    Jeff Hostetler 1

    Doug Williams 1

    Troy Aikman 3

    Brett Favre 1

    John Elway 2

    Kurt Warner 1

    Trent Dilfer 1

    Tom Brady 3

    Brad Johnson 1

    Ben Roethlisberger 2

    Payton Manning 1

    Eli Manning 1

    Drew Brees 1

    In case you were counting that was 6 titles by guys named Joe.

    Colt McCoy 5

    @squintz said:

    Colt McCoy 5

    we can only hope!

  • I kind of stick to "post WCO" years, since Walsh and Montana, because the challenges and judging criteria changed so dramatically. Quarterbacks are now expected to complete around 65 percent of their passes and throws AT LEAST twice as many TDs and INTs. Nobody came remotely close to those numbers before.

    There are guys who have defined the league since then: Montana, Marino, Young, Aikman, Elway, Favre, Brady, and Manning. Just outside of that are Warner and Brees. I fully expect Aaron Rodgers to be included fairly soon, maybe two more years. After three years, he's the highest rated passer in both regular season and playoffs... but needs to do it longer and preferably win something. It pains me, but Roethlisberger has already won two Super Bowls and has to be included in that conversation.

    From those finalists, I would pull out Young (shorter career) and Aikman (wasn't asked to do as much) and Favre (played his team out of as many playoffs as into them, no Super Bowl for the last 12, 13 years of his career). I'd keep Montana, Marino, Elway, Brady, and Manning on that list, at least in my humble opinion.

    From there? Really a matter of taste. Some remove Marino for never winning the Super Bowl... but I wouldn't.

  • I was never a Jim Kelly fan, as he pointed fingers at his teammates when things broke down. I'm still amazed he got into Canton so quickly knowing his tendency to shirk blame.

  • I was never a Jim Kelly fan, as he pointed fingers at his teammates when things broke down. I'm still amazed he got into Canton so quickly knowing his tendency to shirk blame.

    @bob806 said:

    I was never a Jim Kelly fan, as he pointed fingers at his teammates when things broke down. I'm still amazed he got into Canton so quickly knowing his tendency to shirk blame.

    Kelly was pretty damn good but never made Me think I need to go out and get him for My team....If hes in the HOF then Bernie should be in too.

  • @bob806 said:

    I was never a Jim Kelly fan, as he pointed fingers at his teammates when things broke down. I'm still amazed he got into Canton so quickly knowing his tendency to shirk blame.

    Kelly was pretty damn good but never made Me think I need to go out and get him for My team....If hes in the HOF then Bernie should be in too.

    @nickers said:

    Kelly was pretty damn good but never made Me think I need to go out and get him for My team....If hes in the HOF then Bernie should be in too.

    I hear you...Kelly was probably the 5th best QB in the AFC at the time (Marino, Esiason, Kosar, Moon), but he's in the HOF. I think Bernie's career was derailed by the elbow injury in KC, so no HOF for him.

  • Bradshaw is the single most overrated QB in the history of the NFL. He really wasn't very good. It amazes me that "experts" continuously rank him in the top 50 let alone the top 15.

  • Bradshaw is the single most overrated QB in the history of the NFL. He really wasn't very good. It amazes me that "experts" continuously rank him in the top 50 let alone the top 15.

    @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    Bradshaw is the single most overrated QB in the history of the NFL. He really wasn't very good. It amazes me that "experts" continuously rank him in the top 50 let alone the top 15.

    you could make a fair case that Bradshaw wasnt a great reader of defenses...he even said and I qoute "I really didnt have great vision...we had 3 plays..run the the ball..throw to the back or tight end in the flat or throw deep down the sideline"...But his will and swagger was exceptional...I dont care what anyone says.

  • +1 ... Some QB's define their team.... some QB's fit their team's personality and Bradshaw is a fine example of the latter... as are Stabler and McMahon...

    My all-timer has to be Montana... rings or not he was so accurate.... so clutch.

    One that I see as underrated was Warren Moon... numbers aside due to the Run & Shoot, he had a very strong arm and was accurrate as hell... few, if any, threw a better long ball.

    And I think Manning or Brady have a great shot at #2 before all is said and done in their careers...

    McCoy??? Way too early to tell, but I'd settle for him in the Browns top 5, which I see as:

    1. Otto

    2. Brian

    3. Bernie

    4. Dr. Frank

    5. Bill Nelson

  • @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    Bradshaw is the single most overrated QB in the history of the NFL. He really wasn't very good. It amazes me that "experts" continuously rank him in the top 50 let alone the top 15.

    you could make a fair case that Bradshaw wasnt a great reader of defenses...he even said and I qoute "I really didnt have great vision...we had 3 plays..run the the ball..throw to the back or tight end in the flat or throw deep down the sideline"...But his will and swagger was exceptional...I dont care what anyone says.

    @nickers said:

    you could make a fair case that Bradshaw wasnt a great reader of defenses...he even said and I qoute "I really didnt have great vision...we had 3 plays..run the the ball..throw to the back or tight end in the flat or throw deep down the sideline"...But his will and swagger was exceptional...I dont care what anyone says.

    If by his will and swagger you mean Franco Harris and his defense then I agree with you.

  • Nice list... But MAny QBs on that list would Have a Major Hard time in Todays NFL. Like it or not...its True. Should be split into ERAs... 30s 40s the Formative ERA. 50`s 60`s the Original Contemporary ERA. 70s 80s the Modern ERA. and 90`s to Today the Advanced Modern ERA. The last Few Yrs of Each ERA do Overlap into the Next... But this list is NOT APPLES to APPLES ! If you think it is you are fooling yourself !

    Now maybe a couple Exception exist... But Guys that played in the 50s and before ... thats a TALL TASK !

  • @king-ghoolie-lives said:

    I stand humbly corrected.

    See, this is why STAN's board is THE place to post.

    Now, admittedly, you guys are ugly and have small penises, but you DO know your football.

    I'll STILL take Bradshaw.

    How can you say Browns Board patrons have small penises. Why, here is a photo taken at one of our tailgate parties in The Flats:

    turkey-cappadocia-goreme-penis-rock-love-valley.jpg

  • Nice list... But MAny QBs on that list would Have a Major Hard time in Todays NFL. Like it or not...its True. Should be split into ERAs... 30s 40s the Formative ERA. 50`s 60`s the Original Contemporary ERA. 70s 80s the Modern ERA. and 90`s to Today the Advanced Modern ERA. The last Few Yrs of Each ERA do Overlap into the Next... But this list is NOT APPLES to APPLES ! If you think it is you are fooling yourself !

    Now maybe a couple Exception exist... But Guys that played in the 50s and before ... thats a TALL TASK !

    @bunsofsteel08 said:

    Nice list... But MAny QBs on that list would Have a Major Hard time in Todays NFL. Like it or not...its True. Should be split into ERAs... 30s 40s the Formative ERA. 50`s 60`s the Original Contemporary ERA. 70s 80s the Modern ERA. and 90`s to Today the Advanced Modern ERA. The last Few Yrs of Each ERA do Overlap into the Next... But this list is NOT APPLES to APPLES ! If you think it is you are fooling yourself !

    Now maybe a couple Exception exist... But Guys that played in the 50s and before ... thats a TALL TASK !

    I disagree. I believe those old time QBs could have easily adopted to today's game. I am sure most of them had the intelligence and capability of playing now.

    "Todays" QBs may trend to be a little taller.

    As I have said many times, Otto Graham ran what was essentially the WCO of his day. He could have run it now.

    Saying that those QBs could not exceed now would be like saying that, say, Bob Feller could not have pitched now.

    Bob Feller had a 98-100 mph fastball. That is fast now, then, any time. And these QBs could have played no as well.Now, if you had said that a 230 lb. offensive lineman couldn't play today, that is a horse of a different color. That would be true, but, those 230 OL in 1950 would probably be 300 lb. linemen today.