Skip to content

Is Shurmer Calling Offensive Plays Causeing a Problem In Finding a Quality OC?

The Browns Board
20 16 1.4k
  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #5

    This is just conjecture. I'm sure that if Musgrave wanted to come here, Shurmur would not call his own plays.

    These coaches that don't come to Cleveland? I figure they don't have the heart to work hard ADDING the right pieces to the offense...

    and they figure the job would be easier elsewhere, where they have better talent already.

    Give me the coach that has no fear of a challenge. The Eagles' oline coach is the guy, I think. He has no fear of challenges !

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #6

    I am thinking we are targeting the Packers QB coach, Clements.

  • P peterbell wrote on last edited by
    #7

    What I'm wondering outloud is because of Cleveland's 5 coaches in 10 years a lot of potential candidates are passing on the offer of interviews with the Browns..I mean people move their families..etc..With the Browns track record of turning over coaches every 24 months it has to make people pause and

    consider is it worth it..Jauron is most likely taking the job to get another crack at a head job so he could be one and done..Who would want the OC job with Shumur and Holmgren looking over your shoulder? Seriously..

  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Couple guys I haven't heard mentioned that might be worth a look.

    Alex Van Pelt QB coach for the Bucs, was on Dick Jauron's staff in Buffalo. Has done an excellent job with Josh Freeman.

    Dennis Green, currently coaching in the UFL but obviously has tremendous experience and wont have the pressure of calling plays. Another guy to look at would be Mike Tice

  • BrownIndianB BrownIndian wrote on last edited by
    #9

    If the plan was to have a dummy OC why did we let of Daboll ? He would have fit the bill perfectly !

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #10
    i know i'm a doubter when it comes to holmgren but in the end i only hope the best for the browns. 'that being said' doesn't this call into question what holmgren is thinking? i mean is he really calling the plays from above? in the end shurmer is a puppet i understand, but why would he give a rookie HC this much responsibility? what exactly would the OC do if shurmer is acting as the OC?
  • i know i'm a doubter when it comes to holmgren but in the end i only hope the best for the browns. 'that being said' doesn't this call into question what holmgren is thinking? i mean is he really calling the plays from above? in the end shurmer is a puppet i understand, but why would he give a rookie HC this much responsibility? what exactly would the OC do if shurmer is acting as the OC?
    P peterbell wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @miktoxic said:

    i know i'm a doubter when it comes to holmgren but in the end i only hope the best for the browns. 'that being said' doesn't this call into question what holmgren is thinking? i mean is he really calling the plays from above? in the end shurmer is a puppet i understand, but why would he give a rookie HC this much responsibility? what exactly would the OC do if shurmer is acting as the OC?

    Its already feeling like a clusterf**k

  • NewEraDawgN NewEraDawg wrote on last edited by NewEraDawg
    #12

    If we are going to run Holmgren's offense , of which I guess Shurmer is a student , I guess all you really need is a dictator type to get in here and get it installed , and make sure players are using all the proper techniques to operate it . I really don't see the problem getting a young guy in here to crack the whip and be an understudy to become a full fledged OC.

    Just the way I see it .

  • P peterbell wrote on last edited by peterbell
    #13

    Holmgren has to be all the way involved or not..Either get a freakin whistle and a dry erase marker and coach or stay the f**k out of it..seriously..you can't do it any other way..This is not freakin Madden 2011..you have to get on that grind...I hope The Great Walrus this..

  • NewEraDawgN NewEraDawg wrote on last edited by
    #14

    I know I don't agree with that and I really doubt he does .

  • If we are going to run Holmgren's offense , of which I guess Shurmer is a student , I guess all you really need is a dictator type to get in here and get it installed , and make sure players are using all the proper techniques to operate it . I really don't see the problem getting a young guy in here to crack the whip and be an understudy to become a full fledged OC.

    Just the way I see it .

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @neweradawg said:

    If we are going to run Holmgren's offense , of which I guess Shurmer is a student , I guess all you really need is a dictator type to get in here and get it installed , and make sure players are using all the proper techniques to operate it . I really don't see the problem getting a young guy in here to crack the whip and be an understudy to become a full fledged OC.

    Just the way I see it .

    not only will holmgren be GROOMING his new rookie head coach, but he'll GROOM the new OC, and when he has enough time he'll GROOM mccoy.

    dude shoulda been a barber.

    life according to holmgren.

  • C ClevelandBigDawg wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Of course it is. If your OC is not calling plays, there is really no chance for him to get promoted and becoming a HC in the future. Basically we will end up getting someone that would be someone's receivers coach, but this is a "promotion" from that, and he will then get a better look at OC job elsewhere.

    My take...

  • Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Shurmer has said that he only plans on calling plays to start out but after a season or two will allow the OC to call them once he himself gets better acquainted at being a head coach. That's why I would be more than happy to see us bring the O Line coach from the Eagles here to be O Coordinator because he could help train up our O Line guys right away and in the future have a chance to be a great play caller.

  • N Nw220 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Yeah i like the Eagles O-Line coach as a great canadite also whoever mentioned TB QB coach wouldnt mind that ethier,Mike Tice,Dennis Green Enteresting to say the least

  • R rocknrollbrowns wrote on last edited by
    #19

    So do we really need an OC? With Jauron on board Shurmmer can leave the defense up to him and concentrate on the offense. He would only need offensive assistants to get the job done.

  • Shurmer has said that he only plans on calling plays to start out but after a season or two will allow the OC to call them once he himself gets better acquainted at being a head coach. That's why I would be more than happy to see us bring the O Line coach from the Eagles here to be O Coordinator because he could help train up our O Line guys right away and in the future have a chance to be a great play caller.

    Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    Shurmer has said that he only plans on calling plays to start out but after a season or two will allow the OC to call them once he himself gets better acquainted at being a head coach. That's why I would be more than happy to see us bring the O Line coach from the Eagles here to be O Coordinator because he could help train up our O Line guys right away and in the future have a chance to be a great play caller.

    George Warhop is coming back as the oline coach, he is one of the few coaches we are retaining and he is a good one. He did wonders with Billy Yates this year before he went down, but the point is he will handle the oline, not the ocoordinator---regardless who it is.