Rozelle and The Super Bowl
-
I put this post on with my trivia thread but I thought it might deserve its own topic. This is blurb I read from a Pete Rozelle bio.
Rozelle and the "Super Bowl":
1. He Hated the Name “Super Bowl” The story of Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt suggesting the name “Super Bowl” after seeing his kids playing with a Super Ball is a familiar one, but what you might not know is that Rozelle hated the name. When he helped create the game, Rozelle wanted to call it the “AFL-NFL Championship Game,” which you’ve got to admit leaves something to be desired in the catchiness department. Owners then considered “the Big One,” before deciding that sounded a bit silly, too. Only then did Hunt propose the Super Bowl idea, which passed over Rozelle’s strong objections.
Rozelle hated the name so much that during the first two Super Bowls he actually asked his publicists and reporters not to use the name. Rozelle later explained, “I thought it was corny. ‘Super’ was a word we used at Compton High.”
Rozelle does, however, get credit for adding Roman numerals to the game’s name. He later explained that since the game was played in January following the fall season, simply referring to it with a year would be confusing. “It’s not an affectation, as some charge. It’s for clarification. When you say Super Bowl I, it helps you remember it as a 1967 game for the 1966 championship.”
-
I put this post on with my trivia thread but I thought it might deserve its own topic. This is blurb I read from a Pete Rozelle bio.
Rozelle and the "Super Bowl":
1. He Hated the Name “Super Bowl” The story of Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt suggesting the name “Super Bowl” after seeing his kids playing with a Super Ball is a familiar one, but what you might not know is that Rozelle hated the name. When he helped create the game, Rozelle wanted to call it the “AFL-NFL Championship Game,” which you’ve got to admit leaves something to be desired in the catchiness department. Owners then considered “the Big One,” before deciding that sounded a bit silly, too. Only then did Hunt propose the Super Bowl idea, which passed over Rozelle’s strong objections.
Rozelle hated the name so much that during the first two Super Bowls he actually asked his publicists and reporters not to use the name. Rozelle later explained, “I thought it was corny. ‘Super’ was a word we used at Compton High.”
Rozelle does, however, get credit for adding Roman numerals to the game’s name. He later explained that since the game was played in January following the fall season, simply referring to it with a year would be confusing. “It’s not an affectation, as some charge. It’s for clarification. When you say Super Bowl I, it helps you remember it as a 1967 game for the 1966 championship.”
Owners then considered “the Big One,”
looks like the superbowl and i have something in common. BUUUUUUUUUUZING!
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login