Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Hot or Not?

Hot or Not?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
6 Posts 4 Posters 882 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • RugbyDawg R
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Reputation
    R RugbyDawg wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Alright, the Super Bowl is finally over and THANK GOD the farking stoolers lost. Now that it’s now officially the off-season, I wanted to start a full-fledged discussion about what we need to be doing to build this team for the future. Specifically, I’m interested to hear what ya’ll think about the upcoming NFL draft (assuming we have one).

    Now even fair-weather fans have an opinion on who their team should take in the first round, but we all know by now that teams really make their money by succeeding later on in the draft. So I wanted to know, outside of the obvious picks that have been discussed to death (like A.J. Green vs. the top D-liners or the awesomeness of having a Matthews playing linebacker for the Browns again), who are the off-the-beaten-path prospects that you really want donning our beautiful orange helmets? Conversely, who would you run out of town like a father keeping Ben Roethlisberger from his daughter? We all have our favorites and our not-so-favorites; to start it off here’s mine:

    Favorites:

    Sam Acho- DE, Texas: So I guess we’re moving from a 3-4 to a 4-3. I’m ok with it as long as: 1) it’s a well run defense, and 2) it suits our personnel. It’s too early to figure out number 1 but it’s plain to see we need some D-lineman for number 2. While we can debate their talent, we’ve already got quite a few of 300+ lbs. dudes on the team to pair with Rubin. What we don’t have ANY of is 4-3 DEs. I’m hopeful that Roth could make the transition if we keep him (and do I think he can be average to above average at the RDE spot). But outside of him? Nadda.

    Enter Mr. Acho, a guy I think that can fill in that RDE spot regardless of whether Roth comes back. Sure I could talk about the 136 tackles, 19 sacks and 5 forced fumbles he’s had in just over two years of play. He’s coming off an excellent Senior Bowl showing where he had two TFL and a sack. It’s safe to say he’s had a pretty productive college career. You know what I really like about him though? This year he won the Wuerffel Award for outstanding community service after doing things like taking a mission trip to West Africa to deliver medicine to the less-fortunate. He also won the Campell Trophy, widely considered the Academic Heisman award. And that intelligence translates to the field; he has a knack for just being in the right place at the right time. When you listen to this guy off-the-field, though, you can tell he’s a smart guy with a good head on his shoulders. To those of you worried about the wussification of the Browns, I’m not saying we don’t need bad mother-effers on this team. We do. But I am saying there should always be room for guys like Acho.

    He supposedly runs in the 4.7 range which is just a hair behind where top prospect Da’Quan Bowers clocks in at. ESPN lists him at 6-3, 260 lbs. which is good size, but he also plays bigger than his body. Oftentimes on passing downs UT would actually move him inside to the tackle position to bring in more pass rushers while keeping one of their better ones on the field. They could do this because they knew Acho had the strength to hold up at the point of attack with guys that were 30, 40, even 50 lbs. bigger. So in sum, Acho scores high marks in character, intelligence, productivity and measurables... and yet right now many have him slated as a 3rd rounder. If he’s there when we pick at 70, by all means sign me up.

    Cecil Shorts III- WR, Mount Union: This guy might be the guy I want most in the draft in ANY round. I’m not going to rehash our well-documented need at wideout. I’m also not going to make the cliche statements about how there are always late-round wideouts that seem to make significant contributions on teams like 2010 draft picks Mike Williams, Emmanuel Sanders or Marc Mariani. (Ok, I guess I am.) What I’m confident in is that, this year, that late round wideout is Shorts.

    I’m not just saying that because Pierre Garcon made it from Mount Union to NFL respectability. I’m saying that because, to me, this guy JUMPS off the film. For example:

    . Good hands, good strength, great body control, REALLY quick out of his breaks, heck really quick period. Obviously the counterargument is that Mount Union isn’t D1 ball and he hasn’t squared off against the likes of Auburn, Florida or The Ohio State University. And you see that in the video- some of those TDs he will not be walking in backwards. When he is contested though look at how fast and sharp those cuts are. I’m a fan. Also, in his defense, he did dominate D3 with 189 catches, 3509 yards, 45 touchdowns, consensus All-American, National Offensive Player of the Year, the list goes on. What else was he supposed to do? He also has the size you want to hold up in the NFL at 6’0”, 200 lbs. His low 40 is supposedly a smoking 4.34. CBSSports has his 40 at 4.43 which is still faster than fan-favorites A.J. Green and Julio Jones.

    To me, this guy looks like he could be a PERFECT wideout in the WCO, quickly getting off the line, in and then out of his breaks. And yet most of the draft sites out there I’ve seen have him as a 5th round pick! (!!!) Ladies and gents, I think that this man could be the late round impact WR we’re looking for to fill a big hole. I for one want to keep him in Northeast Ohio winning football games.

    Marcus Cannon- OT, TCU: OK, I departed a little bit from the off-the-beaten-path prospects here. Many sites have Cannon going towards the top of the second round and potentially cracking the first round- and for good reason. This guy is MASSIVE at 6’6” 350 lbs. The reason I’m putting him on my list though is that a lot of people are projecting Cannon as a guard at the next level. I say, not so fast my friend!!! In my eyes, this guy is the PROTOTYPICAL RT that we’ve spent the last... I don’t know... decade (?) searching for.

    Draftniks out there are looking at this kid and thinking, anyone that’s 350 lbs. is going to have trouble keeping up with speed-rushers coming at him. The thing is, Cannon doesn’t! He’s tremendously nimble on his feet and is extremely athletic moving in his backpedal. Check out this vid (warning, he doesn’t look 350 lbs. in this vid, but that’s the weight he keeps getting listed at):

    . Does this look like a guy that has trouble moving around on his feet? Can you picture Shaun Rogers doing that backflip? And I say again, he’s listed at 350 lbs.!!!

    And that athleticism has served him well on the field. He’s played at both right and left tackle in the Mountain West Conference, a conference that has teams like Utah, BYU, SDSU, University of New Mexico that feature what? Fast fast fast DEs!!! And yet, in 2009 he didn’t give up a single sack!!! If that’s struggling with speed, then I hope all my tackles struggle with speed. And of course, the thing that has gone without saying is that, with such a big body behind him, he’s an absolute force in the run game. If the Browns are lucky enough to land him, we could finally stop the revolving door at RT. And hey, if I’m completely wrong on this, we can always move him to guard!

    Not-So-Favorites

    Jonathan Baldwin- WR, Pitt: When I first heard of this dude I youtubed him and loved what I saw. On the surface, he looks great- 6’5”, 230 lbs., a pretty good set of hands. Then I read this: http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/pitt-jonathan-...l-game-1459330/. Now, every time I see him, I think Braylon Edwards.

    Let me get this straight, you’re getting ready for a bowl game and you decide now is the time to rip your QB to a media source? You’re hoping to get drafted by NFL teams and you’re ripping a coach that is fairly well-respected in those circles? I mean... you’re ripping your coach at all? Pass. While we do need wideouts to implement the WCO, we don’t need a guy that can’t commit to the team concept. That’s first and foremost in sports, let alone football. I know this guy can ball and may end up making noise at the next level. For me, I say no thank you though.

    DeMarcus Love- OT, Arkansas: Overrated from day one. You want to talk about a guy that can’t handle a speed rush? Sure, he has good size. Love was quietly a problem at Arkansas though, having to be hid on the left and ride sides with help from TEs and backs.

    Love hasn’t been able to hide since the draft process has started though. He’s slid from a borderline first-rounder to a third-rounder that may have to move inside to make it in the NFL. It doesn’t help that he was absolutely abused at the Senior Bowl. I want to find a RT for the future as much as anyone, but this fella just ain’t gonna do it.

    Mason Foster- LB, Washington: I really wanted to like this guy. I REALLY REALLY wanted to like this guy. When you listen to some of his interviews he sounds like a great guy. He wears the John Randle face paint. He’s put up some really impressive numbers at Washington; however, I fear this guy suffers from Andra Davis syndrome. He seems to routinely run himself out of position, then catch up to make the play 8 yards down field.

    Case in point:

    . Ugh. Sure he made some plays, but does that look like a guy you can count on every down? They were actually running some plays right at Foster... and he wasn’t in them because he got himself out of position. At the end of the day Foster was one of the leaders on a defense that gave up a TON of points this year. What worries me is that I’ve read reports that the Browns met with him not once, but twice at the Senior Bowl. I sure hope that doesn’t mean anything. Or I hope I’m wrong. I do really want to like the guy.

    So that’s some of my opinions. To be honest I almost threw Dareus on there under the Not-So-Favorites because every time I look at him I think of how Alabama likes to keep their lineman in shape. (Anyone remember this?

    . Good God Mr. Smith!) Ultimately I’m pretty on the fence about Marcell though. So what do you guys think? Who do you like/not like so much?
    1 Reply Last reply
    ❤
    Quote Reply
    • RugbyDawg R
      • 12 Posts
      • 3 Reputation
      R RugbyDawg wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Wow, ok- kinda shocked. I thought there'd be more fans in Cleveland wanting to talk draft. Oh well. Go Browns.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Alo A
        • 497 Posts
        • 6 Reputation
        A Alo wrote on last edited by Alo
        #3

        Not a big fan of Acho. To me, he's a man without a position: not athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB, not strong enough against the run to be a solid all-around 4-3 DE. However, he's a high character kid who could be a quality reserve/situational pass rusher.

        I was at the East-West Shrine Game practices, where Cecil Shorts' play was underwhelming. He struggled to gain separation and struggled with drops. Hopefully, he'll look better in the big leagues, but everyone in Orlando came away from the week feeling less confident that he'll do well against better competition.

        And I love Mason Foster: not a freakish athlete, but he's the most instinctive linebacker in the draft. If you put him on the weakside, he could be everything we hoped we were getting with D'Qwell Jackson. If he slips to the 3rd, he'd be a very good pick.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
          • 64k Posts
          • 8k Reputation
          C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
          #4

          sorry, been busy !

          I really like this OT in the third round. But his stock may climb in the combine to the second round, maybe.

          I don't think the Browns should pass him up in the third - ORT is a huge area of needed improvement for the Browns:

          *************************************************

          Name: Marcus Gilbert

          College: Florida Number: 76

          Height: 6-6 Weight: 329

          Position: OT Pos2: OG

          Class/Draft Year: rSr/2011

          40 Time: 5.23 40 Low: 5.12 40 High: 5.36

          Projected Round: 4-5 Stock:

          Rated number 12 out of 165 OT's

          http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/09000d...-offensive-line

          Marcus Gilbert, Florida -- Gilbert is a guy that came to Mobile viewed as a third- or early fourth-round pick by some but his work on Tuesday had some line coaches telling me he's better than that and I agree. Coming here was a very positive decision for Gilbert. The first thing that jumped out came when he lined up at right tackle in the "team" period of practice. A toss run to his side was called and he exploded out of his stance, went out to a wide defensive end, and hooked him before he even had a chance to make a play. His balance and initial quickness showed up many times during the drills. He told me he feels comfortable at either tackle spot and that is the versatility Dimitroff craves. Gilbert moves well enough for offensive line coaches to use him in the trap and pull game, but like many young players, he does get caught in a waist-bend position at times. He clearly has the feet to recover, however.

          http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1114672

          Overview

          Even with all of the pressure placed on Gilbert to protect the blind side of Gators' superstar quarterback Tim Tebow, the importance of his security detail paled in comparison to his father's. Jeff Gilbert served as a Secret Service agent for presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, and helped protect current President Barack Obama on the campaign trail. Given Marcus' talent, however, it's likely he will be paid much more handsomely than his father for protecting NFL field generals.

          Recruited by several high-profile programs, Gilbert chose Florida even though he knew he would have to wait his turn to play regularly. He played two games in 2006, his first year in Gainesville, then redshirted the season to save eligibility. Gilbert then played in 26 of the 27 games the Gators played in '07 and '08, starting once at left guard and once at right guard because of injuries. Although he didn't win all-conference honors from league coaches or media in 2009, scouts noticed his steady play as Tebow's personal body guard for all 14 games.

          Gilbert will not be on the blind side in 2010, as Tebow has moved on to the NFL and new signal caller John Brantley is right-handed. But Gilbert's job remains the same: protect his quarterback and make room for the bevy of talented running backs carrying the ball for the Gators in the post-Tebow era. His footwork, strength and size on the edge should allow him to succeed, and let scouts see him as a very capable starter at the next level.

          Analysis

          Pass blocking: Solid pass protector with a quick set, fluid lateral movement and willingness to go out and punch his man off the snap instead of waiting for the rush to come to him. Usually keeps his feet active and arms extended while engaged. Sustains after initial contact and can anchor against most ends. Good balance to protect the inside lane. Reacts quickly to late blitzers on most plays, escorting them around the pocket with his length. Must become more consistent picking up linebackers off the edge against 3-4 fronts. Gets down well to cut block on quick throws, but needs to get more of his opponent to take him out. Will lunge while recovering from strong initial contact.

          Run blocking: Effective size and mobility to be an extremely effective positional blocker at the next level. Anchors against strong defensive ends well, resets his hands to sustain the block. Moves his feet to wall off backside run support and sustain until the play is away. Also has quick feet to the second level; does more than get in the way, will extend his arms to fully negate linebacker (raises them off the ground at times). Good drive-blocker, churns forward after engaging and will usher his man downfield for seven to 10 yards. Could potential turn defenders out of the hole. Athletic and long enough to block down on tackles and still push blitzing linebackers out of the play. Body control and posture must be more consistent; loses his balance when leaning forward against defensive ends or lunging towards linebackers at the second level. Will get tripped up in trash.

          Pulling/trapping: Effective trapping inside and getting out in front of plays run to side because of his quick feet. Moves around the guard or tight end well for his size, is flexible enough to turn the corner and find a target. Takes out linebackers in space by latching on or laying out his tall frame on cut blocks. Needs to use his hands to get through trash and will get tripped up at times because he leans too far forward. Does not always adjust well to inside defenders; can get a hand on smaller defenders but is best when heading straight for his target.

          Initial Quickness: Gets off the snap very well for his size, gets into his opponent if man-up on the outside or tries to get to the linebackers in a hurry. Strong punch and arm extension to pass protect or lock up his man on run plays. Quick kick-slide to mirror most strong-side ends, though not elite in this area; his length allows him to compensate against quicker college defensive ends.

          Downfield: Has the mix of hustle and athleticism to get a hand inside on the tackle, push aside a linebacker and reach a safety ten yards downfield on a single run play. Does not always hit inside defenders or other intended targets, however, as quicker defenders will sidestep him because he runs upright. Can be too satisfied just getting in the way, needs to sustain downfield blocks longer to prevent his man from chasing down plays.

          Intangibles: Reliable, durable player who consistently gives good effort. One of the team's senior leaders for 2010. Mature, well-liked player with no known character issues. Studies his playbook and constantly looks to improve. Father is a retired Secret Service agent.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
            • 64k Posts
            • 8k Reputation
            C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
            #5

            Now, this is the write up on Cannon - who is excellent for his size - but he is an NFL pulling guard, I think, not a RT as much in the NFL.

            If the Browns managed to get two third round picks,...

            I'd draft both Cannon, OG and Gilbert at OT in the third. I'm an oline drafting guy...@@

            *************************************

            Pass blocking: Massive right tackle prospect with good feet for his size. There are concerns about his ability to handle speed on the edge. Difficult for average college strong-side ends to get around, especially when his technique is solid. Short steps off the line, can even backpedal when necessary to cut off blitzing linebackers. Enough lateral movement to maintain one hand on an end and block down to double-team defensive tackles. Struggles against NFL-caliber speed rush because he is slow off the snap. Allows defenders too far into his body instead of extending his arms to keep distance. Has a strong second punch, though he takes some time to land it. Bends at the waist and takes time to recover if punched. Poor awareness of late blitzes, leaving his quarterback vulnerable. Lines up in two-point stance even when his teammates have their hands down because he'll struggle to maintain contact off the snap. Will push off when opponent tries to disengage, instead of keeping his feet moving to sustain.

            Run blocking: Owns prototypical size to drive defenders off the line of scrimmage. Uses his size to seal the edge and wall off inside rushing lanes, but does not consistently get his hands up to manhandle smaller players. Strong enough to anchor against bull rushes from bigger defensive linemen and turn them out of the hole. Needs to get out of three-point stance more quickly, but might be more explosive when lined up closer to the ball inside.

            Pulling/trapping: His relatively quick feet may allow him to create holes when trapping inside, but his ability to pull around the line is limited. Tough to shed once latched on, but a lack of flexibility prevents him from hitting targets in space or reacting quickly to inside defenders. Initial Quickness: Only adequate in his initial quickness, often comes off the snap last among the linemen. Quicker defensive ends can beat him outside, especially if the quarterback takes a deep drop. Can land a strong punch, but is a bit slow to get his hands on the numbers to control his opponent.

            Downfield: Once out of his stance, he can reach linebackers. Fails to hit targets, however, only getting a hand on them instead of dominating with his size. Allows defenders to bounce off his blocks to make plays.

            Intangibles: Solid player with good character and work ethic. Added 50 pounds since arriving at TCU. Only missed two contests with an ankle injury in 2008.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • Nw220 N
              • 1k Posts
              • 27 Reputation
              N Nw220 wrote on last edited by
              #6

              Like

              A.J. Green Wr-Georgia

              Justin Houston OLB-Georgia

              Von Miller-OLB-Texas A&M

              Akeem Ayers-OLB-UCLA

              Cam Heyward-DE-OSU

              Rahim Moore-FS-UCLA

              Ryan Williams-RB-VA Tech

              Kyle Rudolph-TE-Norte Dame

              Casey Matthews-ILB-Oregon

              Julio Jones-WR-Alabama

              Cameron Jordan-DE/DT-Cal

              Dislike

              Marcell Dareus-DT-Alabama

              Robert Quinn-DE-UNC

              Leoarnd Hankerson-WR-Miami

              Cam Newton-QB-Auburn

              Thats all i can come up with off the top of my head ill come back with more

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply

              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

              With your input, this post could be even better 💗

              Register Login
              Reply
              • Reply as topic
              Log in to reply
              • Oldest to Newest
              • Newest to Oldest
              • Most Votes


              Theme
              • System
              • Light
              • Dark
              The Browns Board Terms Privacy

              The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

              • First post
                Last post
              0
              • Forums
              • Recent
              • Popular
              • Users
              • Donate