Skip to content

Lockout

The Browns Board
56 23 4.3k
  • I have been reading a little Lockout talk lately and one thing I keep on seeing is that a lot of fans are putting this on De Smith. I don't know much about the guy except that he was a lawyer and had no football background. Why do people think that he is the problem? Where does this stem from? Why does my wife hate when I refer to breasts as "shabadoos"? Can the players just override what Smith says and work a deal without him? These are all questions that I would like answered. Thanks in advance.

  • I have been reading a little Lockout talk lately and one thing I keep on seeing is that a lot of fans are putting this on De Smith. I don't know much about the guy except that he was a lawyer and had no football background. Why do people think that he is the problem? Where does this stem from? Why does my wife hate when I refer to breasts as "shabadoos"? Can the players just override what Smith says and work a deal without him? These are all questions that I would like answered. Thanks in advance.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    I have been reading a little Lockout talk lately and one thing I keep on seeing is that a lot of fans are putting this on De Smith. I don't know much about the guy except that he was a lawyer and had no football background. Why do people think that he is the problem? Where does this stem from? Why does my wife hate when I refer to breasts as "shabadoos"? Can the players just override what Smith says and work a deal without him? These are all questions that I would like answered. Thanks in advance.

    I dont know Who he is...But I do know the main cog in CBA is the owners want 2 games added and not cut the players in on the money generated...Thats whats effin the whole thing up.

  • I have been reading a little Lockout talk lately and one thing I keep on seeing is that a lot of fans are putting this on De Smith. I don't know much about the guy except that he was a lawyer and had no football background. Why do people think that he is the problem? Where does this stem from? Why does my wife hate when I refer to breasts as "shabadoos"? Can the players just override what Smith says and work a deal without him? These are all questions that I would like answered. Thanks in advance.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    I have been reading a little Lockout talk lately and one thing I keep on seeing is that a lot of fans are putting this on De Smith. I don't know much about the guy except that he was a lawyer and had no football background. Why do people think that he is the problem? Where does this stem from? Why does my wife hate when I refer to breasts as "shabadoos"? Can the players just override what Smith says and work a deal without him? These are all questions that I would like answered. Thanks in advance.

    He is a douche bag and his lips are bigger than mine.. He has no experiece negotiating. I hate when they get a guy like this. He is going to want to prove himself..

    players and owners are so very greedy. If you ask me, us fans should boycott them if they dont get a deal done by march 4th..

    Im not sure why your wife gets mad when you refer to boobs as shabadoo's. A wise person once told me marry a girl with small cleavage so when she gets old she wont have sagging breasts.

  • @clevelandfanforlife said:

    I have been reading a little Lockout talk lately and one thing I keep on seeing is that a lot of fans are putting this on De Smith. I don't know much about the guy except that he was a lawyer and had no football background. Why do people think that he is the problem? Where does this stem from? Why does my wife hate when I refer to breasts as "shabadoos"? Can the players just override what Smith says and work a deal without him? These are all questions that I would like answered. Thanks in advance.

    He is a douche bag and his lips are bigger than mine.. He has no experiece negotiating. I hate when they get a guy like this. He is going to want to prove himself..

    players and owners are so very greedy. If you ask me, us fans should boycott them if they dont get a deal done by march 4th..

    Im not sure why your wife gets mad when you refer to boobs as shabadoo's. A wise person once told me marry a girl with small cleavage so when she gets old she wont have sagging breasts.

    @wrrebel said:

    A wise person once told me marry a girl with small cleavage so when she gets old she wont have sagging breasts.

    so is that why you like boys? kiddin. πŸ™„

    (btw they will still sag, they'll just be small and saggy).

  • I blame both sides for this shit. I actually side with Cromartie with this whole issue. I want football but first and foremost there are 10,000 odd people who could end up losing jobs over a lock out who don't xxxxing make millions of dollars a year. For the most part both sides don't give a shit about these 10,000 people and all they want is theirs. Both sides are greedy, both need to compromise, end of story.

  • Wealthy people fighting with rich people about who's going to make more money while they piss all over the backs of the poor people who made them rich and wealthy to begin with. Gotta love America.

    Just imagine what football would be like if all the players made a base salary of $20,000 a year with another $50,000 added for every game they win.

    When an entertainer makes more money in 60 minutes then someone who actually puts they're lives on the line such as a police officer, fire fighter, and military personnal make in there whole career something is wrong.

  • I for one love the way Goodell is handling this whole thing and think De Smith is a tool.

    Just look at other sports where they let the players union run the league and you get 4-5 teams that run the league. We all know baseball ruined itself by giving in to the union. Sure, it's a strong union, but so was the auto-workers union. And what happened there?

    In basketball they have a salary cap but have a commish that is a pussy who only cares about the few elite players in his league. They can do no wrong. That's why 5 teams have won 87% of the NBA championships over the last 30 (yes, THIRTY) years (Lakers[9] Bulls[6] Spurs[4] Celtics[4] Pistons[3]. It's ridiculously unbalanced and uncontrolled. They let players collude and choose how to finagle the system to play with their home-boyz. I won't watch a minute of it again until something is fixed. I mean, 26 out of 30 from only FIVE teams? And only three other teams won the other four (Rockets [2] Heat [1] 76ers [1]).

    I like that Goodell has an iron fist. I like that he throws out suspensions that are tough. I like that he manages the league like a manager should, as a boss, not a buddy. He doesn't kiss the ass of the players. He understands his role - and he does it well. There is a great article on him in last weeks SI - good reading.

    IMO, De Smith and the NFLPA are kidding themselves if they think they have a chance. Should the NFL give more for healthcare to retired players? Definitely to players retired before 1990, but hell, nowadays the money these guys make should dictate their pension. If a guy like Peyton Manning needs a pension then he severely f'd up his financial situation. I think it's too complicated to look at black and white. And if the players are so concerned for ex-players and the old-school guys, why don't they step to the plate as a union and pitch in themselves for the players that laid the ground work for them to become multi-millionaires?

    I could ramble forever, but you get my point.

  • Ok with a lockout looming what are everyone's thoughts on how important this is to get wrapped up quickly so our new staff can have mini-camps and OTA etc...if this lockout drags on through July we are really going to be behind the 8 ball even further that were we are now. This is a horrible time for all of this.

  • I think that a deal will get done sooner rather than later. There's just too much money to be made here. Both sides need to stop being such babies and get it done.

  • Ok with a lockout looming what are everyone's thoughts on how important this is to get wrapped up quickly so our new staff can have mini-camps and OTA etc...if this lockout drags on through July we are really going to be behind the 8 ball even further that were we are now. This is a horrible time for all of this.

    @osu-kid said:

    Ok with a lockout looming what are everyone's thoughts on how important this is to get wrapped up quickly so our new staff can have mini-camps and OTA etc...if this lockout drags on through July we are really going to be behind the 8 ball even further that were we are now. This is a horrible time for all of this.

    The Browns shouldl not be any further behind than any of the other 31 teams because it will affect them equally.....at least in a vacuum that should be the case.

    However, any team that has undergone a changing of the guard like the Browns have would probably have issues with getting their system and program in place, as opposed to a team where there have been no major changes in the coaching staff.

  • I think that a deal will get done sooner rather than later. There's just too much money to be made here. Both sides need to stop being such babies and get it done.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    I think that a deal will get done sooner rather than later. There's just too much money to be made here. Both sides need to stop being such babies and get it done.

    If it doesn't get done before March 4th, it will be done before the draft starts.

  • @clevelandfanforlife said:

    I think that a deal will get done sooner rather than later. There's just too much money to be made here. Both sides need to stop being such babies and get it done.

    If it doesn't get done before March 4th, it will be done before the draft starts.

    Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    If it doesn't get done before March 4th, it will be done before the draft starts.

    Agreed.

  • Billionaire owners vs. millionaire players (some of them anyhow). Doesn't that sound stupid? They should be ashamed if they can't get it done by March 4th.

  • If argreement is not reached b4 March 3, it will be the NFL who initially suffers from the vast economic implications of a lockout. National companies will renege on business deals and walk away from the league.

    I don't think the players get paid during the off season so their financial hardships would not really kick in until the season was scheduled to start. Individual team draft strategies could, of course, be

    altered not knowing FA status of current NFL players. I think a settlement will be reached before the draft..........maintaining the validity of mock draft gurus throughout the land.

  • @osu-kid said:

    Ok with a lockout looming what are everyone's thoughts on how important this is to get wrapped up quickly so our new staff can have mini-camps and OTA etc...if this lockout drags on through July we are really going to be behind the 8 ball even further that were we are now. This is a horrible time for all of this.

    The Browns shouldl not be any further behind than any of the other 31 teams because it will affect them equally.....at least in a vacuum that should be the case.

    However, any team that has undergone a changing of the guard like the Browns have would probably have issues with getting their system and program in place, as opposed to a team where there have been no major changes in the coaching staff.

    @the-gipper said:

    The Browns shouldl not be any further behind than any of the other 31 teams because it will affect them equally.....at least in a vacuum that should be the case.

    However, any team that has undergone a changing of the guard like the Browns have would probably have issues with getting their system and program in place, as opposed to a team where there have been no major changes in the coaching staff.

    I think teams like Green Bay, New Orleans, Indy, New England, both New York teams, Pittspuke. Won't have much problem. Those teams are almost always the same regardless of what happens during the offseason. They might have a down year here or there, but for the most part they are pretty consistant.

    Like you said it's the teams that have new systems coming in are the ones that will have problems if the lockout affects training camps and OTA's

  • Well when I think about Lerner, it makes me sick when this little spoiled bitch makes $1 off the Browns. I don't know much about the rest of the owners, but if 1/2 of them are like him I hope they get milked!

  • Can season ticket holders, hold a strike over having to pay full price for preseason tickets?

  • If the is a lockout, Will there be Scab players?

    If anyone knows for sure please tell me and explain it to me.

    Thanks in advance,

    Thomaspro

  • IF the browns are willing to risk some money it could work to their advantage. There might be teams that won't offer a player contract until a new union contract is approved. If we offer a guaranteed contract and take the risk of losing some money on it if a lockout happens we could end up ahead of the game.

  • If the is a lockout, Will there be Scab players?

    If anyone knows for sure please tell me and explain it to me.

    Thanks in advance,

    Thomaspro

    @thomaspro said:

    If the is a lockout, Will there be Scab players?

    If anyone knows for sure please tell me and explain it to me.

    Thanks in advance,

    Thomaspro

    They won't use scab players. To many teams to fill and the competition would be way off on most games.