Skip to content

Most Important title since 1964

The Browns Board
14 8 1.3k
  • The Akron Zips Soccer Championship. Quite an accomplishment when it was done playing against the top soccer programs in the country, ie North Carolina. They played & bested the BIG boys.

    Mike

  • You need to add John Carroll's 2005 Rugby Championship. I vote for that one. We were awesome that year.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    You need to add John Carroll's 2005 Rugby Championship. I vote for that one. We were awesome that year.

    I looked up the titles that were won in every NCAA and NAIA sanctioned sport at all levels of play. I did not see Rugby in as an NCAA sanctioned sport. Perhaps Rugby is considered a club sport and thus not sanctioned. Here is the list of NCAA sports:

    Championships are awarded in the following NCAA sports:

    Baseball

    Division I

    Division II

    Division III

    Basketball

    Men's

    Division I

    Division II

    Division III

    Women's

    Division I

    Division II

    Division III

    Bowling (women's only)

    Boxing (discontinued)

    Cross Country

    Men's

    Women's

    Fencing

    Field Hockey

    Football

    Division I (FBS)

    Division I (FCS)

    Division II

    Division III

    Golf

    Men's

    Division I

    Division II

    Division III

    Women's

    Gymnastics

    Men's

    Women's

    Ice Hockey

    Men's

    Women's

    Indoor Track and Field

    Men's

    Women's

    Lacrosse

    Men's

    Women's

    Outdoor Track and Field

    Men's

    Women's

    Rifle

    Rowing (women's only)

    Skiing

    Soccer

    Men's

    Women's

    Softball

    Division I

    Division II

    Division III

    Swimming and Diving

    Men's

    Women's

    Tennis

    Men's

    Women's

    Volleyball

    Men's

    Women's

    Water Polo

    Men's

    Women's

    Wrestling

    No Rugby. Please explain.

  • I agree that it is the 2010 University of Akron Championship in Soccer that is the most prestigious sports championship in this area since the '64 Browns. Primarily because it is the only title won at the Division 1 level of college sports. And to me Division 1 Soccer carries greater magnitude than the Indoor Soccer Leagues have, which were basically Minor League pro Sports.

    And as far as being a prestige college sport, Men's Soccer is probably only behind Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Women's basketball in terms of prestige.

    The Y-town St. titles would probably be second on my list, though, those HS championships are pretty sweet.

  • Rugby is definitely not a varsity sport. Even at the biggest schools ( Notre Dame and OSU) it's a club sport. I just wanted to sneak that one in there.

  • I'd say the Akrron soccer title. It was won in a tournament of division 1 colleges. Very impressive

  • Everyone knows I will say Akron soccer title...

    hopefully more to come

  • Rugby is definitely not a varsity sport. Even at the biggest schools ( Notre Dame and OSU) it's a club sport. I just wanted to sneak that one in there.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    Rugby is definitely not a varsity sport. Even at the biggest schools ( Notre Dame and OSU) it's a club sport. I just wanted to sneak that one in there.

    No worries mate. I actually caught a few minutes of an International Rugby match on TV yesterday between the US and South Africa. South Africa whipped our ass. I guess we are not that good at the sport.

    The problem of course is title IX which requires equality in numbers between men and women in scholarship sports.

    Tons of colleges have had to eliminate certain men's programs just so they could match numbers with women's programs.

    Also, you have silliness like having Rowing being ONLY a women's sport, not a men's sport. Men's rowing is delegated to being a club sport only like Rugby.

  • Everyone knows I will say Akron soccer title...

    hopefully more to come

    @feartheroo said:

    Everyone knows I will say Akron soccer title...

    hopefully more to come

    Hopefully so. The HCs wife works with my wife. And I too am a Zip.

  • @clevelandfanforlife said:

    Rugby is definitely not a varsity sport. Even at the biggest schools ( Notre Dame and OSU) it's a club sport. I just wanted to sneak that one in there.

    No worries mate. I actually caught a few minutes of an International Rugby match on TV yesterday between the US and South Africa. South Africa whipped our ass. I guess we are not that good at the sport.

    The problem of course is title IX which requires equality in numbers between men and women in scholarship sports.

    Tons of colleges have had to eliminate certain men's programs just so they could match numbers with women's programs.

    Also, you have silliness like having Rowing being ONLY a women's sport, not a men's sport. Men's rowing is delegated to being a club sport only like Rugby.

    @the-gipper said:

    No worries mate. I actually caught a few minutes of an International Rugby match on TV yesterday between the US and South Africa. South Africa whipped our ass. I guess we are not that good at the sport.

    The problem of course is title IX which requires equality in numbers between men and women in scholarship sports.

    Tons of colleges have had to eliminate certain men's programs just so they could match numbers with women's programs.

    Also, you have silliness like having Rowing being ONLY a women's sport, not a men's sport. Men's rowing is delegated to being a club sport only like Rugby

    .

    Yeah it's bs, women's rugny is gonna be a NCAA sport next year or the year after that, but not men's rugby where people actually tackle and pass.

    What a joke

  • @the-gipper said:

    No worries mate. I actually caught a few minutes of an International Rugby match on TV yesterday between the US and South Africa. South Africa whipped our ass. I guess we are not that good at the sport.

    The problem of course is title IX which requires equality in numbers between men and women in scholarship sports.

    Tons of colleges have had to eliminate certain men's programs just so they could match numbers with women's programs.

    Also, you have silliness like having Rowing being ONLY a women's sport, not a men's sport. Men's rowing is delegated to being a club sport only like Rugby

    .

    Yeah it's bs, women's rugny is gonna be a NCAA sport next year or the year after that, but not men's rugby where people actually tackle and pass.

    What a joke

    @goby said:

    Yeah it's bs, women's rugny is gonna be a NCAA sport next year or the year after that, but not men's rugby where people actually tackle and pass.

    What a joke

    Can I assume you are not serious? Women's Rugby as an NCAA sport but not Men's Rugby? Balderdash

  • I vote for YSU. They beat a Steve McNair lead team in one of those Titles and Beat Marshall in one which is now a Div ! team