Skip to content

Tight Ends

The Browns Board
89 16 5.9k
  • @erie-dawg said:

    Maybe because teams knew we were a one dimensional offense.

    Exactly, by the second half of the season the defenses were pulling up safeties and stacking the box (possibly a reason Robo started doing better in the second half) which explains why Hillis' numbers went down along with the fact he didn't have a back up to spell him. With this stacked box you would have expected Watson's numbers to go down as well since that is where a majority of his routes are ran but they really stayed constant for most of the year.

    Oh and if Gate's is a good blocker why did Mathews do so well. Oh wait. Watson sealed the edge on what ever side he blocked on all year. Hell he was the only reason the Stuckie scored against the Jets. Watson was able to seal off his blocker for 10 yards while coming off the line standing straight up instead of a 3 point stance.

    Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    Oh and if Gate's is a good blocker why did Mathews do so well. Oh wait. Watson sealed the edge on what ever side he blocked on all year. Hell he was the only reason the Stuckie scored against the Jets. Watson was able to seal off his blocker for 10 yards while coming off the line standing straight up instead of a 3 point stance.

    Mathews was dinged up most of the year. You would know that if you actually paid attention. He was decent when he was in. For comparison sake, if you prorate his numbers to the same amount of carries that Hillis had he would be 19 yards shy and be .96 TDs ahead. Dynamite analysis though. SD had better overall rushing numbers as well which flies in the face of your logic but some of that is moot due to Gates missing time. Listen, once again, I like Watson but he isn't anything special. Saying that you would take him over one of the best TEs to play the game just makes you look foolish.

  • Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    Oh and if Gate's is a good blocker why did Mathews do so well. Oh wait. Watson sealed the edge on what ever side he blocked on all year. Hell he was the only reason the Stuckie scored against the Jets. Watson was able to seal off his blocker for 10 yards while coming off the line standing straight up instead of a 3 point stance.

    Mathews was dinged up most of the year. You would know that if you actually paid attention. He was decent when he was in. For comparison sake, if you prorate his numbers to the same amount of carries that Hillis had he would be 19 yards shy and be .96 TDs ahead. Dynamite analysis though. SD had better overall rushing numbers as well which flies in the face of your logic but some of that is moot due to Gates missing time. Listen, once again, I like Watson but he isn't anything special. Saying that you would take him over one of the best TEs to play the game just makes you look foolish.

    @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    Mathews was dinged up most of the year. You would know that if you actually paid attention. He was decent when he was in. For comparison sake, if you prorate his numbers to the same amount of carries that Hillis had he would be 19 yards shy and be .96 TDs ahead. Dynamite analysis though. SD had better overall rushing numbers as well which flies in the face of your logic but some of that is moot due to Gates missing time. Listen, once again, I like Watson but he isn't anything special. Saying that you would take him over one of the best TEs to play the game just makes you look foolish.

    No I am saying that I PREFER TE's that can do both blocking and receiving you dumb ass. The fact that you can't get that through your skull is amazing to me. Gate's is a strict receiving TE who is no where near as good of a blocker as Watson. Gate's has even said it himself that he is a receiving tight end, his catching vs his blocking is night and day. Can he block, ya he can, my grand ma can stand in someones way for a second or two. Can he actual drive someone off the ball, pull block, keep his body between his guy and the ball carrier for an extended period of time. Not to the extent that Watson can not even close. Your right Gates is a better receiver, but as a blocker, no. You can name guys who can name a bunch or guys who just catch the ball, Gates, Moore, Winslow, Davis, Clark, Gonzalez, and every team has that one TE you can really only block (ours was Royal) but when it comes down to it there are really only a few TE's in the league who good in both categories and the are Witten, Boss, Heap, and Watson.

  • @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    Mathews was dinged up most of the year. You would know that if you actually paid attention. He was decent when he was in. For comparison sake, if you prorate his numbers to the same amount of carries that Hillis had he would be 19 yards shy and be .96 TDs ahead. Dynamite analysis though. SD had better overall rushing numbers as well which flies in the face of your logic but some of that is moot due to Gates missing time. Listen, once again, I like Watson but he isn't anything special. Saying that you would take him over one of the best TEs to play the game just makes you look foolish.

    No I am saying that I PREFER TE's that can do both blocking and receiving you dumb ass. The fact that you can't get that through your skull is amazing to me. Gate's is a strict receiving TE who is no where near as good of a blocker as Watson. Gate's has even said it himself that he is a receiving tight end, his catching vs his blocking is night and day. Can he block, ya he can, my grand ma can stand in someones way for a second or two. Can he actual drive someone off the ball, pull block, keep his body between his guy and the ball carrier for an extended period of time. Not to the extent that Watson can not even close. Your right Gates is a better receiver, but as a blocker, no. You can name guys who can name a bunch or guys who just catch the ball, Gates, Moore, Winslow, Davis, Clark, Gonzalez, and every team has that one TE you can really only block (ours was Royal) but when it comes down to it there are really only a few TE's in the league who good in both categories and the are Witten, Boss, Heap, and Watson.

    Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    No I am saying that I PREFER TE's that can do both blocking and receiving you dumb ass. The fact that you can't get that through your skull is amazing to me. Gate's is a strict receiving TE who is no where near as good of a blocker as Watson. Gate's has even said it himself that he is a receiving tight end, his catching vs his blocking is night and day. Can he block, ya he can, my grand ma can stand in someones way for a second or two. Can he actual drive someone off the ball, pull block, keep his body between his guy and the ball carrier for an extended period of time. Not to the extent that Watson can not even close. Your right Gates is a better receiver, but as a blocker, no. You can name guys who can name a bunch or guys who just catch the ball, Gates, Moore, Winslow, Davis, Clark, Gonzalez, and every team has that one TE you can really only block (ours was Royal) but when it comes down to it there are really only a few TE's in the league who good in both categories and the are Witten, Boss, Heap, and Watson.

    You know, Gates is solid in run blocking but when he came into the league he wasn't very good so I'll let you slide for beating that horse but when you are listing Gonzo and Davis as guys who just catch the ball, it is obvious that you are speaking from a place that lacks actual information.

  • I'm finished with this conversation and unlike Pizza I actually mean something when I say it. He is entitled to his opinion about liking receiving TE more than all around TE's but his argument is souly based on stats and his own shitty speculation and he lacks any ability to actually evaluate a player or a situation.

  • I'm finished with this conversation and unlike Pizza I actually mean something when I say it. He is entitled to his opinion about liking receiving TE more than all around TE's but his argument is souly based on stats and his own shitty speculation and he lacks any ability to actually evaluate a player or a situation.

    Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    I'm finished with this conversation and unlike Pizza I actually mean something when I say it. He is entitled to his opinion about liking receiving TE more than all around TE's but his argument is souly based on stats and his own shitty speculation and he lacks any ability to actually evaluate a player or a situation.

    You called two of the better blocking TEs in the league, "strictly pass catchers" and want to question my ability to evaluate a player? That's rich.

  • I honestly would take Gates over Watson but as HiB as mentioned hes not half the blocker that Watson is, but in all reality my favorite is Witten he can simply do it all...Liked him when he came outta Tennessee and thought he'd be a great player

  • mikeyP72 said:

    Homodude and Pizzafag are borderline Lumberghs at this point. I'm done

    lol get the hell out of here. I'm nothing like that super troll. It's possible to agree to disagree. The problem on this board is people are almost entirely incapable of taking any sort of criticism Browns related or not. If you don't agree it's under the bus you go. It's grade school bs all around. I really don't get it.

  • I honestly would take Gates over Watson but as HiB as mentioned hes not half the blocker that Watson is, but in all reality my favorite is Witten he can simply do it all...Liked him when he came outta Tennessee and thought he'd be a great player

    @nw220 said:

    I honestly would take Gates over Watson but as HiB as mentioned hes not half the blocker that Watson is, but in all reality my favorite is Witten he can simply do it all...Liked him when he came outta Tennessee and thought he'd be a great player

    Gates will never be mistaken for a Tackle but his blocking is adequate and his route running, intelligence, and hands are well beyond any other at the position. I guess I just don't see why someone would want a sixth linemen over someone that creates mismatches and opportunities all over the field. It doesn't make much sense.

  • mikeyP72 said:

    Homodude and Pizzafag are borderline Lumberghs at this point. I'm done

    lol get the hell out of here. I'm nothing like that super troll. It's possible to agree to disagree. The problem on this board is people are almost entirely incapable of taking any sort of criticism Browns related or not. If you don't agree it's under the bus you go. It's grade school bs all around. I really don't get it.

    Homotron said:

    lol get the hell out of here. I'm nothing like that super troll. It's possible to agree to disagree. The problem on this board is people are almost entirely incapable of taking any sort of criticism Browns related or not. If you don't agree it's under the bus you go. It's grade school bs all around. I really don't get it.

    Of course you get it. You are THE primary perpetrator of such an attitude.