Skip to content

Shurmur and Browns are ready for the NFL combine

The Browns Board
27 12 1.6k
  • S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by SJ_Browns
    #1

    http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/02/19/pat-shu...for-the-2011-n/

    Browns head coach Pat Shurmur hired a staff loaded with sideline experience and Super Bowl appearances that he feels can help turn Cleveland into a success sooner rather than later, and it begins on Feb. 23 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, the site of the 2011 NFL Scouting Combine.

    "We feel as though we're putting a bunch of guys together that are great teachers, great motivators and so, that takes a little time to find the right fit and mix of guys," said Shurmur. "We're excited about the guys we've hired. Also, I'm spending time getting to know the organization and the people that are here. I think that's part of it because I do think this is about the people.

    "I've spent some of my time getting around the building and meeting the people we'll be working together with and obviously, getting to know some of the current players," as Shurmur continued on Thursday. "I've reached out to a few on the phone and some of the players that are here, I've had a chance to spend time with. Then, I've had time, in my off-time so-to-speak, to watch tape and get familiar with the players that we have so that we can proceed forward in free agency and the Draft."

    To succeed in the NFL, it's important to build a team tailored to the division you are playing in. In the AFC North, having a power running game and playing physical defense is essential with the likes of the Ravens and Steelers. With a solid offensive line led by Pro Bowlers in center Alex Mack and left tackle Joe Thomas along with left guard Eric Steinbach, Cleveland produced an effective rush attack with the ball in the hands of running back Peyton Hillis last season.

    Defensively, Shurmur started from the ground up to get the Browns on the path to compete for the AFC North by hiring Dick Jauron, with 27 years of NFL experience, as the team's defensive coordinator. When former Eagles head coach Ray Rhodes, with 31 years of experience in the NFL, was brought in to be Cleveland's senior defensive assistant, the direction in which the Browns were heading became clear.

    "With our coaching staff now complete, I am excited about the group that we have been able to assemble," said Shurmur on Monday when he introduced his coaching staff. "I believe we have a blend of coaches with a tremendous amount of experience who have proven to be excellent teachers throughout the course of their careers.

    "I have known most of these guys for a considerable amount of time, and not only have I been impressed with their work, but they are all greatly respected around the league. Many of our coaches have been a part of winning programs, which is an important element as well. I feel very good about the strengths that each coach possesses, and I am confident this will benefit our team."

    The 2011 NFL Draft will be loaded with good defensive players and Shurmur and his gang of coaches look to get out to a great start and ultimately make the Browns a winner.

    "The evaluation of a draftable player is so important. All of the information is there; it's just important that you get it and you evaluate if he's the right guy for you," said Shurmur. "That's a long process. I find it to be somewhat enjoyable getting to know the players that you're going to draft and have become part of the Browns organization. It needs to be organized and done in a way where the coaches are involved as well as the personnel people who know the most about the players.

    "You want to No. 1, find out about the players, see who they are and then, you evaluate them based on how they played. The interaction we have with them, you'd like to see him react to certain situations and be able to evaluate that as accurately as possible."

  • S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #2

    heckert and his staff have had a whole season with the browns to scout players. that's a major plus.

    it's great to have a gm who actually has experience at the position and i'm really excited to see who they draft.

  • WRREBELW WRREBEL wrote on last edited by
    #3

    I can't wait for the draft this year either..

  • I can't wait for the draft this year either..

    S secondwave wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @wrrebel said:

    I can't wait for the draft this year either..

    I might be the only one, but if we don't get AJ Green, we go after Patrick Peterson if he's still there.

    Especially if he runs that "legit 4.30" everyone says he can at a consistent rate.

    If none of them are still there, we trade down. Robert Quinn and Bowers are question marks. And as a guy who's seen Julio Jones play just about every game with Alabama, I can promise you right now he won't be the player AJ Green is.

    I like Casey Matthews in the 2nd-3rd round.

  • Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #5

    I'm just excited because now we have a front office and coach that are on the same page. Heckert and Holmgren know how to find WCO and 4-3 talent and Shurmer will sign off on who ever they say will be good to draft. Mangini on the other hand didn't sign off on a lot of picks that Heckert made last year. This year Heckert will be let lose in the draft and I hope we have an even better draft than last year.

  • @wrrebel said:

    I can't wait for the draft this year either..

    I might be the only one, but if we don't get AJ Green, we go after Patrick Peterson if he's still there.

    Especially if he runs that "legit 4.30" everyone says he can at a consistent rate.

    If none of them are still there, we trade down. Robert Quinn and Bowers are question marks. And as a guy who's seen Julio Jones play just about every game with Alabama, I can promise you right now he won't be the player AJ Green is.

    I like Casey Matthews in the 2nd-3rd round.

    B BuckeyeBrown wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @secondwave said:

    I might be the only one, but if we don't get AJ Green, we go after Patrick Peterson if he's still there.

    Especially if he runs that "legit 4.30" everyone says he can at a consistent rate.

    If none of them are still there, we trade down. Robert Quinn and Bowers are question marks. And as a guy who's seen Julio Jones play just about every game with Alabama, I can promise you right now he won't be the player AJ Green is.

    I like Casey Matthews in the 2nd-3rd round.

    I'd love Green or Peterson. We'd have to get a DL in the second though.

    I've also been wondering what kind of positive effect Shurmur, and switching all the way to a west coast, can have on MoMass, Robiske, and even Mitchell. Didn't Holmgren make comments about the wr's not being used effectively (which i could be imagining). Perhaps a true west coast offense can change that....

    ....but I think they just suck, thoughts?

  • S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #7

    i've read alot of good things about aj green. if he's there it will be hard to pass him up. i've also read that the browns may be able to get a good d-lineman in the 2nd rd. not sure how accurate that info is. i'm not a draft expert so i've just been trying to collect as much info i can lately to get some kind of idea of what the browns' best choices are.

  • B BuckeyeBrown wrote on last edited by
    #8

    I've heard a lot about how there is a lot of depth at DL in this draft. Though its hard to say how true this is.

  • I've heard a lot about how there is a lot of depth at DL in this draft. Though its hard to say how true this is.

    S secondwave wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @buckeyebrown said:

    I've heard a lot about how there is a lot of depth at DL in this draft. Though its hard to say how true this is.

    Fairley is a burger shy of a heart-attack, he's not bulky, he's fat. I wouldn't go near him, he looks like he's gonna weight problems in the future.

    Like I said, AJ Green or Patrick Peterson. MAYBE Prince Amukamara, but i've seen him burned 1-on-1 quite a number of times.

  • WRREBELW WRREBEL wrote on last edited by
    #10

    CANT WAIT!

  • ThaakT Thaak wrote on last edited by
    #11

    why is everyone so sure we will not pass on taking a CB?

    We have much higher needs than drafting another top 10 CB.

    We will go WR or DE. I'm thinking DE over Green, simply because we cut 90% of our DL.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #12

    I might be the only one, but if we don't get AJ Green, we go after Patrick Peterson if he's still there.

    Especially if he runs that "legit 4.30" everyone says he can at a consistent rate.

    If none of them are still there, we trade down. Robert Quinn and Bowers are question marks. And as a guy who's seen Julio Jones play just about every game with Alabama, I can promise you right now he won't be the player AJ Green is.

    I like Casey Matthews in the 2nd-3rd round. Secondwave

    ***********************************

    Fairley is a headcase - he's out. if it is a lineman in the first round... the Browns will really benefit by trading down a ways.

    In the second half of the first round, there are some terrific dlinemen.

    I was surprised you said Julio won't be the player Green is. Green may not be the get open quick guy for the WC offense.

    He seems to be more a strider like MoMass, but an elite talent.

    We also let a few older lb's go. I can see that Miller guy, if he's there.

    I really like Torrey Smith in the second round then, and the OT Gilbert in the third, if HE's there.

    That means the Browns signed a couple of solid defensive linemen.

    It's going to be a lot of FUN this year.

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I'm very confident in Heckert & Co in this draft. I guess we all have our own thoughts, but I'll defer to the experts. That being said, we all have our thoughts, so here are a few of mine. One of my biggest fears would be drafting Julio Jones early. The main rap on this guy has been "drops". Does this sound familiar? In addition, going to a WCO with many slants & other short passes, deflected passes end up in defenders hands far too often. I want a "glue fingered" WR. My other thoughts are why consider Quinn at 6? He missed all year...Bowers had 1 productive year. Maybe it's guys like those 2 who will be made or busted by the Combine. We'll see, but I am really looking forward to this draft much more than previous years due to the collective knowledge & experience we have working on it.

    Mike

  • B BuckeyeBrown wrote on last edited by
    #14

    You make a good point Canton Mike. I think often we (the fans, hopefully not the FO) look at the really sexy, flashy, picks. We want the freak athlete, without thinking about whether or not the guy can do the basics of their position. Also we get blinded by these one hit wonders, when we should draft players who have sustained success because at this point we can't gamble on players because it could set us back a few years.

  • You make a good point Canton Mike. I think often we (the fans, hopefully not the FO) look at the really sexy, flashy, picks. We want the freak athlete, without thinking about whether or not the guy can do the basics of their position. Also we get blinded by these one hit wonders, when we should draft players who have sustained success because at this point we can't gamble on players because it could set us back a few years.

    alporciniA alporcini wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @buckeyebrown said:

    You make a good point Canton Mike. I think often we (the fans, hopefully not the FO) look at the really sexy, flashy, picks. We want the freak athlete, without thinking about whether or not the guy can do the basics of their position. Also we get blinded by these one hit wonders, when we should draft players who have sustained success because at this point we can't gamble on players because it could set us back a few years.

    Good point Buckeye... last year there was a lot of teeth gnashing over Haden in 1 and especially TJ at 2... H/H played it very smart getting McCoy at 3... and Lavuao (sp) could end up a starter in 4... don't recall what the pundits gave our draft last year, but it is certainly looking a whole lot better now.

  • @buckeyebrown said:

    You make a good point Canton Mike. I think often we (the fans, hopefully not the FO) look at the really sexy, flashy, picks. We want the freak athlete, without thinking about whether or not the guy can do the basics of their position. Also we get blinded by these one hit wonders, when we should draft players who have sustained success because at this point we can't gamble on players because it could set us back a few years.

    Good point Buckeye... last year there was a lot of teeth gnashing over Haden in 1 and especially TJ at 2... H/H played it very smart getting McCoy at 3... and Lavuao (sp) could end up a starter in 4... don't recall what the pundits gave our draft last year, but it is certainly looking a whole lot better now.

    WRREBELW WRREBEL wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @alporcini said:

    Good point Buckeye... last year there was a lot of teeth gnashing over Haden in 1 and especially TJ at 2... H/H played it very smart getting McCoy at 3... and Lavuao (sp) could end up a starter in 4... don't recall what the pundits gave our draft last year, but it is certainly looking a whole lot better now.

    yeah i have learned through many years of wanting the browns to draft certain players I am almost always wrong..

    That said, even with the best scouting the draft is such a crap shoot.

  • I'm very confident in Heckert & Co in this draft. I guess we all have our own thoughts, but I'll defer to the experts. That being said, we all have our thoughts, so here are a few of mine. One of my biggest fears would be drafting Julio Jones early. The main rap on this guy has been "drops". Does this sound familiar? In addition, going to a WCO with many slants & other short passes, deflected passes end up in defenders hands far too often. I want a "glue fingered" WR. My other thoughts are why consider Quinn at 6? He missed all year...Bowers had 1 productive year. Maybe it's guys like those 2 who will be made or busted by the Combine. We'll see, but I am really looking forward to this draft much more than previous years due to the collective knowledge & experience we have working on it.

    Mike

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by SJ_Browns
    #17

    @canton-mike said:

    That being said, we all have our thoughts, so here are a few of mine. One of my biggest fears would be drafting Julio Jones early. The main rap on this guy has been "drops". Does this sound familiar? In addition, going to a WCO with many slants & other short passes, deflected passes end up in defenders hands far too often. I want a "glue fingered" WR.

    Mike

    i want no parts of a wr who has the dropsies and you made an excellent point about the wco and deflected passes.

  • CANT WAIT!

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @wrrebel said:

    CANT WAIT!

    😆

  • @alporcini said:

    Good point Buckeye... last year there was a lot of teeth gnashing over Haden in 1 and especially TJ at 2... H/H played it very smart getting McCoy at 3... and Lavuao (sp) could end up a starter in 4... don't recall what the pundits gave our draft last year, but it is certainly looking a whole lot better now.

    yeah i have learned through many years of wanting the browns to draft certain players I am almost always wrong..

    That said, even with the best scouting the draft is such a crap shoot.

    GipsG Gips wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @wrrebel said:

    That said, even with the best scouting the draft is such a crap shoot.

    It is a crap shoot at best but for once i actually feel confident we have the right GM doing his homework to bring this club some much needed young talent and i dont feel the need to try and second guess who we will take, its not like i would be right anyways! hehehehe

    April is so far away and im anxious about all the changes this year!

  • Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Honestly I feel like we should just go with the best available play with our first pick (minus QB) or trade bad to pick up on of the solid DE, DT, or WR in the first round. I don't think that we really need another top 10 CB, but if Peterson is still there I feel like we just have to take him. With him and Haden we would have the best Corner combo in the league and when Sheldon Brown is your nickle CB and shares time at FS your secondary is just about as good as it gets. And if he's gone there is a really good chance we can trade back a few spots with the Cowboys so that they could take Prince Amukamara which would net us at least two more picks (plus the cowboys first round pick) during this draft alone and then we could take a JJ Watts or Jordan at DT. Honestly I just don't think the top 4 DT/DE are solid picks and have too much bust potential for the top 10.