Skip to content

Vickers?

The Browns Board
35 13 2.5k
  • @the-gipper said:

    I think these last 2 comments are bogus. Why do people think that just because someone runs hard that they will automatically have a very short career. No one ran harder than the likes of Jim Brown, Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith and Jerome Bettis and Earl Campbell, etc. etc. and they lasted plenty long enough. You are sounding like a bunch of Steeler fans. Hillis needs to play football the way he plays football.

    I agree.

    @ballpeen said:

    I agree.

    Maybe you guys never played football. And he is not Jim Brown. Constantly getting hit by 375 lb linemen, linebackers and such 25 times per game will take its toll. He was already injured last season, and his performance numbers dropped dramatically. Okay, 1 year might be pushing it, but constantly using this guy like we did last year will definitely shorten his career. With Hardesty back, and if he stays healthy, I imagine he will be seeing a lot less running anyway.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I agree.

    Maybe you guys never played football. And he is not Jim Brown. Constantly getting hit by 375 lb linemen, linebackers and such 25 times per game will take its toll. He was already injured last season, and his performance numbers dropped dramatically. Okay, 1 year might be pushing it, but constantly using this guy like we did last year will definitely shorten his career. With Hardesty back, and if he stays healthy, I imagine he will be seeing a lot less running anyway.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Maybe you guys never played football. And he is not Jim Brown. Constantly getting hit by 375 lb linemen, linebackers and such 25 times per game will take its toll. He was already injured last season, and his performance numbers dropped dramatically. Okay, 1 year might be pushing it, but constantly using this guy like we did last year will definitely shorten his career. With Hardesty back, and if he stays healthy, I imagine he will be seeing a lot less running anyway.

    Ya but plenty of RB's made a living getting 25 touches a game and they played for 10 seasons. Peterson manages to do it, Johnson manages to do it, Mendenhall manages to do it. Ya he isn't the caleber of the first two, but to say this guy can't due it because he experienced minor injuries that any football player can suffer from any given day is ridiculous. A deep thigh bruise and bruises back ribs are not as serious as you would like to think. With the switch to a WCO and Hardesty being back I am not worried about Hillis in the slightest. I am more worried about Hardesty.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I agree.

    Maybe you guys never played football. And he is not Jim Brown. Constantly getting hit by 375 lb linemen, linebackers and such 25 times per game will take its toll. He was already injured last season, and his performance numbers dropped dramatically. Okay, 1 year might be pushing it, but constantly using this guy like we did last year will definitely shorten his career. With Hardesty back, and if he stays healthy, I imagine he will be seeing a lot less running anyway.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Maybe you guys never played football. And he is not Jim Brown. Constantly getting hit by 375 lb linemen, linebackers and such 25 times per game will take its toll. He was already injured last season, and his performance numbers dropped dramatically. Okay, 1 year might be pushing it, but constantly using this guy like we did last year will definitely shorten his career. With Hardesty back, and if he stays healthy, I imagine he will be seeing a lot less running anyway.

    No doubt it takes it's toll.

    Yes, I played football though baseball was my sport past HS.

    Hillis isn't running more then many other backs in the league.

    Really, forget "saving" him for 6 years from now. Let's get what we can the next 5 years.....though I would tell him to quit leaping players.

    You have to understand....when you have a real field Ox, you let it plow as long as it can, then you either put it to stud or you eat it.

    That's the bottom line.

  • Apparently some of you cant read so I'll be more than happy to clarify My post....I never said he needs to "stop" running but "when" to stop running...theres a differance lol...And the high hurdeling can cause bad things like fumbles besides injuries...get a grip fellas...just asking that kid be more mindful is all..

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Maybe you guys never played football. And he is not Jim Brown. Constantly getting hit by 375 lb linemen, linebackers and such 25 times per game will take its toll. He was already injured last season, and his performance numbers dropped dramatically. Okay, 1 year might be pushing it, but constantly using this guy like we did last year will definitely shorten his career. With Hardesty back, and if he stays healthy, I imagine he will be seeing a lot less running anyway.

    No doubt it takes it's toll.

    Yes, I played football though baseball was my sport past HS.

    Hillis isn't running more then many other backs in the league.

    Really, forget "saving" him for 6 years from now. Let's get what we can the next 5 years.....though I would tell him to quit leaping players.

    You have to understand....when you have a real field Ox, you let it plow as long as it can, then you either put it to stud or you eat it.

    That's the bottom line.

    @ballpeen said:

    You have to understand....when you have a real field Ox, you let it plow as long as it can, then you either put it to stud or you eat it.

    Mmmm... Hillis with a side of taters and some BBQ sauce.

  • The only thing im worried about with Hillis is that he plays leap frog to much. Getting hit while running on the ground is one thing but landing on your head while running full speed is another.

  • I honestly don't have a problem with Hillis leaping... as long as he stops doing it up the middle and trying to do it over line backers. The one he did agaisnt the Bills was stupid and the one he did up the middle against the Patriots was dangerous. If we wants to do it on the outside against a CB in order to break for 10 more yards then fine, but why do it to a safety when you have two guys on the side of you. There is a time and a place for it he just needs to learn when it's the right time to fly and when it's the time to lay the bulldozer.

    WHITE MEN CAN JUMP!!!

  • I honestly don't have a problem with Hillis leaping... as long as he stops doing it up the middle and trying to do it over line backers. The one he did agaisnt the Bills was stupid and the one he did up the middle against the Patriots was dangerous. If we wants to do it on the outside against a CB in order to break for 10 more yards then fine, but why do it to a safety when you have two guys on the side of you. There is a time and a place for it he just needs to learn when it's the right time to fly and when it's the time to lay the bulldozer.

    WHITE MEN CAN JUMP!!!

    Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    I honestly don't have a problem with Hillis leaping... as long as he stops doing it up the middle and trying to do it over line backers. The one he did agaisnt the Bills was stupid and the one he did up the middle against the Patriots was dangerous. If we wants to do it on the outside against a CB in order to break for 10 more yards then fine, but why do it to a safety when you have two guys on the side of you. There is a time and a place for it he just needs to learn when it's the right time to fly and when it's the time to lay the bulldozer.

    WHITE MEN CAN JUMP!!!

    Agreed i think he should keep the leaping a part of his arsonal just tune it and know when to do it and under what circumstances, Legertte Blount also is one who loves to hurdle ppl.It is just in some peoples game, same as Hardesty has his spin move...And yes im more concerned about Hardersty staying healthy more than i am Hillis...Ethier way we need to look at another back as well in the draft or free agency,possibly a scat back or such...Kendall Hunter,Jacquizz Rodgers or even Noel Devine i think they would all fit in nicely and add another element to a already leathal running game

  • I like Noel Devine myself.

    I don't mind the jump....though I do think he started to use it too much and at the wrong times. In the open field, cool, usually that is against a DB type who seeks to go low.

    Later on he started doing it in traffic just past the LOS....not so cool. Too many LB's who aren't looking to go quite as low.

  • I like Noel Devine myself.

    I don't mind the jump....though I do think he started to use it too much and at the wrong times. In the open field, cool, usually that is against a DB type who seeks to go low.

    Later on he started doing it in traffic just past the LOS....not so cool. Too many LB's who aren't looking to go quite as low.

    @ballpeen said:

    I like Noel Devine myself.

    I don't mind the jump....though I do think he started to use it too much and at the wrong times. In the open field, cool, usually that is against a DB type who seeks to go low.

    Later on he started doing it in traffic just past the LOS....not so cool. Too many LB's who aren't looking to go quite as low.

    I like Noel Devine as well but seeing how he went to the high school where im from he never really lived up to what he was sopossed to be, if you youtube his highschool highlights its the greatest thing you will ever see...It makes what Barry Sanders and Reggie Bush highlights see like John Riggin highlights....So then he signed to WVU where he had a productive career but he was coming outta FT.Myers the Best Prospect since Deion Sanders and considered better going into college....He still is a great RB and i wouldnt mind taking a look at him

  • There is alot of people wanting a "scat" back and I do like the idea of more speed but Im not a fan of small running backs. Noel Devine is just like Bush, outside the tackles he may go the distance but he cant do it between the tackles.

    I respect some of the little guys hearts but guys like Quizz just dont do well in the pros.(outside of Jones-Drew ofcourse)

    If you want to see some get yards after the catch why dont we line Cribbs in the backfield and have him run a few flat routes? Its the same thing and we have it in house.

  • If Hillis keeps carrying the ball that much he won't last long. Bettis said that 300 carry seasons are very tough and at the end he didn't think he was capable of that, plus hillis is catching the ball and trying to jump over defenders.

  • Bottom line is he won't carry the ball as much.

    First, with the NCO, we are probably going to throw the ball over 50% of the time, so that reduces the number of plays he could be called on to run the ball.

    Second, with more 2 back sets with a legit runner in there as well, some of his carries will be siphoned off.

    Last year he had 270 carries for roughly 1200 yards, which is about 4.4 YPC.

    I could see his carries drop to 170 or so which if you use his YPC from last year would give him 748 yards which works out to close to my initial feelings he will probably be a 800 a year rusher under the new offense.

  • I actually see him getting around more like 210 carries still being the primere back and since he isn't running as often and stays healthier I think he will run above him 4.4 and get around 4.8 - 5 yards a carry. I think he breaks 1000 yards rushing and even if he doesn't he has 1500 total yards.

  • I can see that too.

    We are in the same range....40 carries over the season is 2-3 carries a game difference.

    If the D can improve and get off the field, we should pick up a few extra possessions a game as well, which can increase his touches.

    I don't think we disagree on the matter.

  • I can see that too.

    We are in the same range....40 carries over the season is 2-3 carries a game difference.

    If the D can improve and get off the field, we should pick up a few extra possessions a game as well, which can increase his touches.

    I don't think we disagree on the matter.

    @ballpeen said:

    I can see that too.

    We are in the same range....40 carries over the season is 2-3 carries a game difference.

    If the D can improve and get off the field, we should pick up a few extra possessions a game as well, which can increase his touches.

    I don't think we disagree on the matter.

    Well I dont think Shaun Alexander did too bad in Seattle under MH so I dont think Hillis's role will be diminished too much. I can actually see him having an even bigger role along with Hardesty. You still have to run the ball to keep defenses honest.

  • Steven Jackson did work under Shurmer too and that's the connection I would look at before any of Holmgren connections to past running backs. Remember who the coach is. Holmgren will have some say and pull but he isn't running the team or calling the plays, that is Shurmer and he is to one who is going to make or break Hillis.

  • Steven Jackson did work under Shurmer too and that's the connection I would look at before any of Holmgren connections to past running backs. Remember who the coach is. Holmgren will have some say and pull but he isn't running the team or calling the plays, that is Shurmer and he is to one who is going to make or break Hillis.

    Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    Steven Jackson did work under Shurmer too and that's the connection I would look at before any of Holmgren connections to past running backs. Remember who the coach is. Holmgren will have some say and pull but he isn't running the team or calling the plays, that is Shurmer and he is to one who is going to make or break Hillis.

    Granted and I dont think it will be MH's version of the WCO either but naturally you expect simularities....