Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Barber Shop Talk
  3. Bbq Tips

Bbq Tips

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Barber Shop Talk
5 Posts 2 Posters 742 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • HowieDawg HowieDawgH
    • 664 Posts
    • 59 Reputation
    HowieDawgH HowieDawg wrote on last edited by
    #1

    HI Guys,

    I'd love any recipes that you have for marinades, sauces and techniques for falling off the bone meaty flavour.

    I have never had better BBQ food than in the US and it's something we fail on big time here - I love nothing more than a slow cooked smoky rack of ribs smothered in tangy BBQ sauce - hoping you guys can help me out with some tips so I don't have to fly the Atlantic to get my BBQ fix.

    Thanks

    Howie.

    Tailgate loving, Steelers hating, Trans-Atlantic Browns fan. Annually disappointed since '88. Annually optimistic since '88. GO BROWNS!
    ballpeenB 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • HowieDawgH HowieDawg

      HI Guys,

      I'd love any recipes that you have for marinades, sauces and techniques for falling off the bone meaty flavour.

      I have never had better BBQ food than in the US and it's something we fail on big time here - I love nothing more than a slow cooked smoky rack of ribs smothered in tangy BBQ sauce - hoping you guys can help me out with some tips so I don't have to fly the Atlantic to get my BBQ fix.

      Thanks

      Howie.

      ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 9k Posts
      • 2k Reputation
      ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
      #2

      @howiedawg said:

      HI Guys,

      I'd love any recipes that you have for marinades, sauces and techniques for falling off the bone meaty flavour.

      I have never had better BBQ food than in the US and it's something we fail on big time here - I love nothing more than a slow cooked smoky rack of ribs smothered in tangy BBQ sauce - hoping you guys can help me out with some tips so I don't have to fly the Atlantic to get my BBQ fix.

      Thanks

      Howie.

      In the south, BBQ has been a way of cooking forever.

      And make no mistake...BBQ is a method of cooking, not just slathering some sauce on a piece of meat and calling it BBQ.

      You can't BBQ directly over coals or wood. It has to be off-set to allow a indirect, low heat.

      A good sized smoker is your best option. If you don't have that and just have a grill, you have a couple of options.

      First option is to set the meat on one side of the grill and the coals/wood on the other. With this you will have to turn the meat from time to time so one side isn't always exposed to the heat side.

      The better method is to place the meat in the center of the grill with a drip pan underneath and place the coals and smoking wood on each side....you need a grill big enough to do this.

      Then you need to monitor the temp inside the grill. You want as an ideal about 220 degrees as a ideal average. You'll just have to play with the dampers and play with how far open you leave the lid propped.

      I like hickory as my smoking wood, but mesquite and any fruit tree wood imparts a nice flavor. Be sure to soak the wood for 30 minutes so it smokes like crazy, and keep adding that first hour or so

      You also want to keep some humidity in the chamber...that drip pan...add some water, wine, vinegar any combination of herbs you want...it all helps to impart flavor in to the meat and keeps the chamber moist.

      If it doesn't seem to get hot enough...and another tin over the heat once the coals have leveled off so it doesn't just boil away all at once.

      You have to prep the meat the night before. Here is a basic pork rub I use...I sometimes jazz it up with whatever strikes my fancy, but it is always basically this:

      1/3 cup paprika

      1/4 brown cup sugar

      3 tablespoons black pepper

      2 tablespoons salt

      2 teaspoons dry mustard

      1 teaspoons cayenne

      1 teaspoon white pepper

      Rub half in the night before, and half just before smoking the shoulder.

      I like the meat dry...as in dry rub, as do most southerners...the only sauce used is applied by each person as they are eating.

      When eating the sandwich...southern style is with a nice mound of slaw on the pulled pork

      If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • HowieDawg HowieDawgH
        • 664 Posts
        • 59 Reputation
        HowieDawgH HowieDawg wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Thanks Ballpeen

        Some great tips there thank you, I like the idea of putting the colas/wood either side of a pan - thanks. I don't have a smoker but I'm thinking that this has to be the way to go - I'm nor sure you can even buy them here - maybe somewhere I guess if I trawl the Internet.

        I'm going to try that rub out this weekend and report back.

        Looking forward to sharing some grill grub with you come November! Howie.

        Tailgate loving, Steelers hating, Trans-Atlantic Browns fan. Annually disappointed since '88. Annually optimistic since '88. GO BROWNS!
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 9k Posts
          • 2k Reputation
          ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
          #4

          You don't need a smoker.....just a large enough hooded grill.

          I can roast a rib roast on a smaller grill using the side by side method, but that really isn't a slow cook.

          You need a grate maybe 36 inches wide minimum, allowing enough room either side so you slow cook the meat rather than roast the meat.

          The difference is about 4-6 hours of time.

          You obviously have to tend to that.....here is a cheater method for semi smoked BBQ.

          Put your cut on the grill....side by side as described.....put lot's of smoke on it......lot's of wet wood. Keep adding that first hour or so.

          After a few hours when you would normally have to add more coals to keep the heat....transfer it to the kitchen oven set at maybe 250-260...and finish there.....if in a hurry, bump up the temp to 350.

          Keep a oven safe dish with the same liquid you used outdoors to keep humidity in the oven.

          It comes out pretty close.

          I have finished off a few rib roasts that way.

          Only my kin from Alabama knew I cheated.

          England....no one will know the difference. 😉

          If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
          HowieDawgH 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • ballpeenB ballpeen

            You don't need a smoker.....just a large enough hooded grill.

            I can roast a rib roast on a smaller grill using the side by side method, but that really isn't a slow cook.

            You need a grate maybe 36 inches wide minimum, allowing enough room either side so you slow cook the meat rather than roast the meat.

            The difference is about 4-6 hours of time.

            You obviously have to tend to that.....here is a cheater method for semi smoked BBQ.

            Put your cut on the grill....side by side as described.....put lot's of smoke on it......lot's of wet wood. Keep adding that first hour or so.

            After a few hours when you would normally have to add more coals to keep the heat....transfer it to the kitchen oven set at maybe 250-260...and finish there.....if in a hurry, bump up the temp to 350.

            Keep a oven safe dish with the same liquid you used outdoors to keep humidity in the oven.

            It comes out pretty close.

            I have finished off a few rib roasts that way.

            Only my kin from Alabama knew I cheated.

            England....no one will know the difference. 😉

            HowieDawg HowieDawgH
            • 664 Posts
            • 59 Reputation
            HowieDawgH HowieDawg wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @ballpeen said:

            England....no one will know the difference. 😉

            LOL, I like that and you are right!

            Tailgate loving, Steelers hating, Trans-Atlantic Browns fan. Annually disappointed since '88. Annually optimistic since '88. GO BROWNS!
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply

            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

            Register Login
            Reply
            • Reply as topic
            Log in to reply
            • Oldest to Newest
            • Newest to Oldest
            • Most Votes


            Theme
            • System
            • Light
            • Dark
            The Browns Board Terms Privacy

            The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

            • First post
              Last post
            0
            • Forums
            • Recent
            • Popular
            • Users
            • Donate