Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Steve Smith?

Steve Smith?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
20 Posts 10 Posters 1.4k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • USFBrown USFBrownU Conversation Starter Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Dedicated One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 2k Posts
    • 270 Reputation
    USFBrownU USFBrown wrote on last edited by
    #1

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/26/steve-smith-cleaned-out-locker-suite-in-carolina-before-lockout/

    Steve Smith cleaned out locker, suite in Carolina before lockout

    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 26, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT

    It’s safe to say Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith won’t be among the handful of players that show up to team facilities on Tuesday.

    Eric Edholm of ProFootballWeekly reports that Smith cleaned out his locker and luxury suite at Bank of America Stadium before the lockout ended.

    Smith has a luxury box as part of his contract, which contains pictures and momentos from his career. He had them all removed, which is a strong sign that Smith doesn’t plan to return to the team. Edholm also confirms Smith has requested trades in the past.

    As pointed out by Pat Yasinskas of ESPN.com, Edholm and Smith have been working on a book together for a while. So it’s probably safe to say his sources are on point here.

    Panthers coach Ron Rivera has admitted that Smith’s future with the team was unsure this offseason, and the team sounds open to a possible trade if trades are ultimately allowed once again.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • USFBrown USFBrownU Conversation Starter Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Dedicated One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 2k Posts
      • 270 Reputation
      USFBrownU USFBrown wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I know he's probably been discussed here before, but what do you guys think about us picking him up? I hope we go after him. We know he is productive and can play. I'm just not sure he'd want to come here after leaving an Carolina.

      If we go with Defense early, I saw we try to pick this lil guy up.

      rich4eagleR 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • cambridgeho cambridgehoC Very Popular Reacting Well Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 2k Posts
        • 139 Reputation
        cambridgehoC cambridgeho wrote on last edited by cambridgeho
        #3

        He is getting up there in age but he still has some left in the tank. He most likely will go to a contender, but he would straight up be dominating in the slot for us.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • USFBrownU USFBrown

          I know he's probably been discussed here before, but what do you guys think about us picking him up? I hope we go after him. We know he is productive and can play. I'm just not sure he'd want to come here after leaving an Carolina.

          If we go with Defense early, I saw we try to pick this lil guy up.

          rich4eagle rich4eagleR One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 2k Posts
          • 39 Reputation
          rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @usfbrown said:

          I know he's probably been discussed here before, but what do you guys think about us picking him up? I hope we go after him. We know he is productive and can play. I'm just not sure he'd want to come here after leaving an Carolina.

          If we go with Defense early, I saw we try to pick this lil guy up.

          I live in Charlittte and Steve Smith is a high maintenance dude. And injury prone in recent years and not a youngster anymore. And he is very short, like 5 "8" if that. I cannot remember many short receivers that lasted well into their thirties. I would much rather invest in a young guy and BTW, invest in an offense in the draft since defense never won much in terms of championships

          Offense Wins.......Franchise QB's are the key.............Defense keeps you in the game.........Go Buckeyes
          The GipperT G 2 Replies Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • rich4eagleR rich4eagle

            @usfbrown said:

            I know he's probably been discussed here before, but what do you guys think about us picking him up? I hope we go after him. We know he is productive and can play. I'm just not sure he'd want to come here after leaving an Carolina.

            If we go with Defense early, I saw we try to pick this lil guy up.

            I live in Charlittte and Steve Smith is a high maintenance dude. And injury prone in recent years and not a youngster anymore. And he is very short, like 5 "8" if that. I cannot remember many short receivers that lasted well into their thirties. I would much rather invest in a young guy and BTW, invest in an offense in the draft since defense never won much in terms of championships

            The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
            • 57k Posts
            • 4k Reputation
            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
            #5

            @rich4eagle said:

            I live in Charlittte and Steve Smith is a high maintenance dude. And injury prone in recent years and not a youngster anymore. And he is very short, like 5 "8" if that. I cannot remember many short receivers that lasted well into their thirties. I would much rather invest in a young guy and BTW, invest in an offense in the draft since defense never won much in terms of championships

            I thought you lived outside of Youngstown.

            As I understand it, Smith is still under contract with the Panthers, isn't he? Or is he pulling a Carson Palmer and saying that he demands a trade? The Ps however may not be as opposed to a trade as the Bengals however.

            Also, I could see this scenario happening: A. The court has instituted a stay of the lockout. B. However, the NFL says they are going about essentially as if the lockout is still in effect, except for allowing the players to come into the team facilities and wander the hallways. C. BUT.....you have a "rogue" owner such as Mike Brown who says to hell with the NFL dictates, it is against the court order for them to do anything to me if I don't "stick to the plan", ergo, I am going to go ahead and trade Carson Palmer and get the best offer I can for him...probably much better than I could have gotten if the lockout had not occurred. (of course he would have to have another team also be willing to buck the system by doing the trade)

            Does anyone think this sort of thing could occur?

            rich4eagleR 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • rich4eagleR rich4eagle

              @usfbrown said:

              I know he's probably been discussed here before, but what do you guys think about us picking him up? I hope we go after him. We know he is productive and can play. I'm just not sure he'd want to come here after leaving an Carolina.

              If we go with Defense early, I saw we try to pick this lil guy up.

              I live in Charlittte and Steve Smith is a high maintenance dude. And injury prone in recent years and not a youngster anymore. And he is very short, like 5 "8" if that. I cannot remember many short receivers that lasted well into their thirties. I would much rather invest in a young guy and BTW, invest in an offense in the draft since defense never won much in terms of championships

              Gafreleets G
              • 559 Posts
              • 19 Reputation
              G Gafreleets wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @rich4eagle said:

              I live in Charlittte and Steve Smith is a high maintenance dude. And injury prone in recent years and not a youngster anymore. And he is very short, like 5 "8" if that. I cannot remember many short receivers that lasted well into their thirties. I would much rather invest in a young guy and BTW, invest in an offense in the draft since defense never won much in terms of championships

              high maintenance may be the all time understatement. the dude is a diva, and one with a piss poor attitude at that. he's a me-first type of guy AND now he's past his prime so you can't even cover for him by saying "yeah, but damn is he good.".

              oh, and he LOVES to sucker punch his teammates if they make a comment about him slacking in practice. ever see that bitch punch he cheap shotted his teammate with? may be the biggest "punk-bitch" thing i've ever seen. for one, don't slack in practice. two, don't get angry if you're slacking and someone calls you on it. and three, don't handle your anger at being called out by ambushing your teammate with a suckerpunch from behind while he's kneeling on the ground listening to a coach speak.

              with all i've heard about Big Ben being a rapist and i go to a online sex offender registry and look up cleveland and Pittsburgh and what do i find? cleveland has a CRAP load more sex offenders (and expecially child molesters) than Pittsburgh.......over 4X as many over all. 2055 of them to Pittsburgh's 421. www.familywatchdog.us better never hear one of you date raping, can't get a woman with my tiny peep unless i hold her down, child molesting hypocrits say anything else about Ben.
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Browns57 B Dedicated Conversation Starter Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 733 Posts
                • 62 Reputation
                B Browns57 wrote on last edited by
                #7

                I know that unless something happens tomorrow, players will not be able to be traded. But reports have been that Steve Smith wants out of Carolina and will likely be traded at some point. He is 31 and is coming off of the worst year of his career. How much of that was do to the team? Probably a great deal. This guy likely has 3-5 years left and he has been one of the best over his career. I cannot count the number of time he has put of huge numbers while being double and even triple teamed in games. If we can't get julio jones or AJ. Green I wonder if the browns will make a play for Steve Smith, and what the offer would have to be? To bad we couldn't just swap him straight up for Delhomme. LOL

                “The Wait Is Over, The Browns Will Be In The Playoffs This Year!"
                1 Reply Last reply
                👍
                Quote Reply
                • JMcCurry08 J
                  • 14 Posts
                  • 1 Reputation
                  J JMcCurry08 wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  This isnt too bad of a move, we dont have a veteran presence for the young receivers. I feel like Steve Smith could be a good target for McCoy

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • FearTheRoo F
                    • 496 Posts
                    • 14 Reputation
                    F FearTheRoo wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    We just need a receiver....I feel like that is a huge hole in our team. It's just MoMass and he's a #2

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • Harry Buffalo Harry BuffaloH
                      • 3k Posts
                      • 241 Reputation
                      Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      We need to find a veteran WR. Smith is not ideal just because of his age. But he will be able to teach and work in an offense that he is comfortable in.

                      Ruining threads since 1897.
                      G rich4eagleR 2 Replies Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo

                        We need to find a veteran WR. Smith is not ideal just because of his age. But he will be able to teach and work in an offense that he is comfortable in.

                        Gafreleets G
                        • 559 Posts
                        • 19 Reputation
                        G Gafreleets wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        Hillis-iz-Boss said:

                        We need to find a veteran WR.

                        i hear there is a guy named plexico that might need a job this year. i'm just sayin.

                        with all i've heard about Big Ben being a rapist and i go to a online sex offender registry and look up cleveland and Pittsburgh and what do i find? cleveland has a CRAP load more sex offenders (and expecially child molesters) than Pittsburgh.......over 4X as many over all. 2055 of them to Pittsburgh's 421. www.familywatchdog.us better never hear one of you date raping, can't get a woman with my tiny peep unless i hold her down, child molesting hypocrits say anything else about Ben.
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                          • 57k Posts
                          • 4k Reputation
                          The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          Taking anything but a WR or RB in the first round is akin to accepting another 6 - 10 caliber year.

                          Not if the RBs you select are like William Green and the WR is like Willis Adams.

                          Give me Richard Seymour over Braylon Edwards any day. It all just depends on if the guy pick pans out.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • FearTheRoo F
                            • 496 Posts
                            • 14 Reputation
                            F FearTheRoo wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            No way to Plaxico...Once a Steeler, Always a Steeler. He's not welcome in Cleveland! I'd rather see Lebron come back to town than have to watch a steeler put on a Browns jersey.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • Nw220 N
                              • 1k Posts
                              • 27 Reputation
                              N Nw220 wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              Excatly how can you say we have to take a WR or RB in the 1st round thats crazy...One we have no d-lineman need help in the Secondary but yeah we need to take Mark Ingram at 6

                              F 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • N Nw220

                                Excatly how can you say we have to take a WR or RB in the 1st round thats crazy...One we have no d-lineman need help in the Secondary but yeah we need to take Mark Ingram at 6

                                FearTheRoo F
                                • 496 Posts
                                • 14 Reputation
                                F FearTheRoo wrote on last edited by FearTheRoo
                                #15

                                @nw220 said:

                                Excatly how can you say we have to take a WR or RB in the 1st round thats crazy...One we have no d-lineman need help in the Secondary but yeah we need to take Mark Ingram at 6

                                We have 1 receiver. Can't win games if you can't score

                                N 1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • F FearTheRoo

                                  @nw220 said:

                                  Excatly how can you say we have to take a WR or RB in the 1st round thats crazy...One we have no d-lineman need help in the Secondary but yeah we need to take Mark Ingram at 6

                                  We have 1 receiver. Can't win games if you can't score

                                  Nw220 N
                                  • 1k Posts
                                  • 27 Reputation
                                  N Nw220 wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  @feartheroo said:

                                  We have 1 receiver. Can't win games if you can't score

                                  So you reach for a WR who may not be as good as other prospects, id wait and take a proven Vet in F/A and just take BPA

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • Browns57 B Dedicated Conversation Starter Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                    • 733 Posts
                                    • 62 Reputation
                                    B Browns57 wrote on last edited by Browns57
                                    #17

                                    @king-ghoolie-lives said:

                                    We need a REAL WR. Steve Smith is a utility reciever. He is not going to cause chaos on the opposing D.

                                    Just like HIllis is not going to create any havoc without help in 2011.

                                    The Browns need playmakers who can change a game at any given moment, every single week. We don't have any of those guys on offense.

                                    The Browns needs a killer WR, a shifty, slashing, RB, a pass rusher and a bad ass DB, in that order.

                                    Taking anything but a WR or RB in the first round is akin to accepting another 6 - 10 caliber year.

                                    Tell all of the corners and safeties that have never been able to contain him that he is just a utility WR. He is not a real WR? This guy have been one of THE best in the league for years. Who do you think made Delhomme look good for all those years? Double teamed all the time. triple teamed and couldn't be stopped sometimes. You must be smoking something strong if you think this guy isn't a real WR. And for anyone who would take Plaxico over SS, well that is just CRAZY! SS may not be at his best but I bet he will look pretty good when he doesn't have a loser QB throwing him the ball.

                                    “The Wait Is Over, The Browns Will Be In The Playoffs This Year!"
                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • The GipperT The Gipper

                                      @rich4eagle said:

                                      I live in Charlittte and Steve Smith is a high maintenance dude. And injury prone in recent years and not a youngster anymore. And he is very short, like 5 "8" if that. I cannot remember many short receivers that lasted well into their thirties. I would much rather invest in a young guy and BTW, invest in an offense in the draft since defense never won much in terms of championships

                                      I thought you lived outside of Youngstown.

                                      As I understand it, Smith is still under contract with the Panthers, isn't he? Or is he pulling a Carson Palmer and saying that he demands a trade? The Ps however may not be as opposed to a trade as the Bengals however.

                                      Also, I could see this scenario happening: A. The court has instituted a stay of the lockout. B. However, the NFL says they are going about essentially as if the lockout is still in effect, except for allowing the players to come into the team facilities and wander the hallways. C. BUT.....you have a "rogue" owner such as Mike Brown who says to hell with the NFL dictates, it is against the court order for them to do anything to me if I don't "stick to the plan", ergo, I am going to go ahead and trade Carson Palmer and get the best offer I can for him...probably much better than I could have gotten if the lockout had not occurred. (of course he would have to have another team also be willing to buck the system by doing the trade)

                                      Does anyone think this sort of thing could occur?

                                      rich4eagle rich4eagleR One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                      • 2k Posts
                                      • 39 Reputation
                                      rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      @the-gipper said:

                                      I thought you lived outside of Youngstown.

                                      As I understand it, Smith is still under contract with the Panthers, isn't he? Or is he pulling a Carson Palmer and saying that he demands a trade? The Ps however may not be as opposed to a trade as the Bengals however.

                                      Also, I could see this scenario happening: A. The court has instituted a stay of the lockout. B. However, the NFL says they are going about essentially as if the lockout is still in effect, except for allowing the players to come into the team facilities and wander the hallways. C. BUT.....you have a "rogue" owner such as Mike Brown who says to hell with the NFL dictates, it is against the court order for them to do anything to me if I don't "stick to the plan", ergo, I am going to go ahead and trade Carson Palmer and get the best offer I can for him...probably much better than I could have gotten if the lockout had not occurred. (of course he would have to have another team also be willing to buck the system by doing the trade)

                                      Does anyone think this sort of thing could occur?

                                      I grew up in Ytown and Steve Smith is a FA and cleared his locker as said.................and I want no part of him..........and yeah I saw him just a few weeks ago here in Charlotte..............

                                      Offense Wins.......Franchise QB's are the key.............Defense keeps you in the game.........Go Buckeyes
                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • rich4eagle rich4eagleR One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                        • 2k Posts
                                        • 39 Reputation
                                        rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        @king-ghoolie-lives said:

                                        We need a REAL WR. Steve Smith is a utility reciever. He is not going to cause chaos on the opposing D.

                                        Just like HIllis is not going to create any havoc without help in 2011.

                                        The Browns need playmakers who can change a game at any given moment, every single week. We don't have any of those guys on offense.

                                        The Browns needs a killer WR, a shifty, slashing, RB, a pass rusher and a bad ass DB, in that order.

                                        Taking anything but a WR or RB in the first round is akin to accepting another 6 - 10 caliber year.

                                        You got your wish so to speak.......we again trusted a brain trust who made a brain dead decision in round one ten years running........except one

                                        Offense Wins.......Franchise QB's are the key.............Defense keeps you in the game.........Go Buckeyes
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo

                                          We need to find a veteran WR. Smith is not ideal just because of his age. But he will be able to teach and work in an offense that he is comfortable in.

                                          rich4eagle rich4eagleR One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                          • 2k Posts
                                          • 39 Reputation
                                          rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          Hillis-iz-Boss said:

                                          We need to find a veteran WR. Smith is not ideal just because of his age. But he will be able to teach and work in an offense that he is comfortable in.

                                          you obviously never heard Steve Smith speak........he could not teach a flea to jump on a dog

                                          Offense Wins.......Franchise QB's are the key.............Defense keeps you in the game.........Go Buckeyes
                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate