Phil Taylor
-
The 3rd round pick we gave the Chiefs as ammo to move up from 27 to 21..
Turned out to be Houston, the LB from Georgia, who most mocks had as a first-round talent.
The 3rd round pick we gave the Chiefs as ammo to move up from 27 to 21..
Turned out to be Houston, the LB from Georgia, who most mocks had as a first-round talent.
It depends on who you talk to. I saw alot that had him rated early to mid 2nd round. Regardless he fell because failing his drug test at the combine. Ya is sucks because you can say "hey we could have had that guy" but really it's more like we could have had anyone at the point and one in the draft, you don't know who it could have been. What ever I'm glad we got who we got.
-
Also I don't know if you guys know this but he was in alot of spring break photos with Haden because they both grew up in D.C. and played football against each other. Taylor said they have already been in contact with each other and they are both really excited about getting to play together.
-
mikeyP72 said:
Most questionable move: Giving a pick away to select DT Phil Taylor
It's not a terrible reach to take Taylor, but they might not have had to give up a third-round pick to get him. He's not a great fit as he's better as a 3-4 nose tackle. Defensive coordinator Dick Jauron will get the most out of Taylor's ability and the Browns obviously values him in their scheme, but he also comes with some questions about his character. With the Little pick, two of their first three picks have red flags.
I know alot of people are saying that he isn't the right guy because of his size, but if that was the case then Pat Shurmer wouldn't have told Taylor to stop losing weight. During there interview that said that they liked where his weight was at right now. If they wanted someone lighter they they wouldn't have drafted him. As far as reaching goes, alot of teams were looking at this guy. Chiefs thought they could possibly get him at 27 so they made the trade, Heckert thought that Philly would take him (he knows what kind of guys Reid likes) and at 26 the Ravens could have looked at him and thought that he was less of a gamble than Jimmy Smith. But as I said before I am going to wait to be critical on all of these guys. I look at all of our picks from the 1st round to the 7th and I can honestly see them ALL being on the active roster, with 4-5 being starters right away and two contributing in more than just special teams. But that's just me and what I can see right now with these guys. After FA we I could be thinking differently, and after training camp/preseason/and the first few weeks of the season I could be saying this is the worst draft 10 years so who really knows right now.
-
mikeyP72 said:
Most questionable move: Giving a pick away to select DT Phil Taylor
It's not a terrible reach to take Taylor, but they might not have had to give up a third-round pick to get him. He's not a great fit as he's better as a 3-4 nose tackle. Defensive coordinator Dick Jauron will get the most out of Taylor's ability and the Browns obviously values him in their scheme, but he also comes with some questions about his character. With the Little pick, two of their first three picks have red flags.
I know alot of people are saying that he isn't the right guy because of his size, but if that was the case then Pat Shurmer wouldn't have told Taylor to stop losing weight. During there interview that said that they liked where his weight was at right now. If they wanted someone lighter they they wouldn't have drafted him. As far as reaching goes, alot of teams were looking at this guy. Chiefs thought they could possibly get him at 27 so they made the trade, Heckert thought that Philly would take him (he knows what kind of guys Reid likes) and at 26 the Ravens could have looked at him and thought that he was less of a gamble than Jimmy Smith. But as I said before I am going to wait to be critical on all of these guys. I look at all of our picks from the 1st round to the 7th and I can honestly see them ALL being on the active roster, with 4-5 being starters right away and two contributing in more than just special teams. But that's just me and what I can see right now with these guys. After FA we I could be thinking differently, and after training camp/preseason/and the first few weeks of the season I could be saying this is the worst draft 10 years so who really knows right now.
Hillis-iz-Boss said:
I know alot of people are saying that he isn't the right guy because of his size, but if that was the case then Pat Shurmer wouldn't have told Taylor to stop losing weight. During there interview that said that they liked where his weight was at right now. If they wanted someone lighter they they wouldn't have drafted him. As far as reaching goes, alot of teams were looking at this guy. Chiefs thought they could possibly get him at 27 so they made the trade, Heckert thought that Philly would take him (he knows what kind of guys Reid likes) and at 26 the Ravens could have looked at him and thought that he was less of a gamble than Jimmy Smith. But as I said before I am going to wait to be critical on all of these guys. I look at all of our picks from the 1st round to the 7th and I can honestly see them ALL being on the active roster, with 4-5 being starters right away and two contributing in more than just special teams. But that's just me and what I can see right now with these guys. After FA we I could be thinking differently, and after training camp/preseason/and the first few weeks of the season I could be saying this is the worst draft 10 years so who really knows right now.
You're right, the draft is one big crap shoot & this draft was not loaded with a bunch of "can't miss" guys. If this pick works out, we have just plugged the leak in the middle, allowing more risk taking disruption from the outside as opposed to "staying at home" & seeing what happens. Have we moved from a "reactionary" type defense to an aggressive D that forces mistakes? Time will tell.
Now let's get on to some FOOTBALL!!!
Mike
-
I would love to see the look on his face when Holmgren says "here is the situation when we need you to play. You will be playing when the other team has the ball"
Hillis iz boss, good info on the positives. Knowing that he lost weight at Baylor makes me feel much better although now I am a little concerned that when he gets his truckload of money things could change
-
At first, I didn't like this pick. Then again, I didn't like last year's entire draft and the new Browns management proved me wrong on that one - it may have been our best in the new era. And who knows, this year's draft could be another great one. I certainly hope so.
But with regards to Taylor, there is no way he is chosen that high by H&H unless they were absolutely salavating over his films, his interview, and his workouts. Also, this group is well connected in the world of college football/scouting and the first round is as much a science as it is an art for them. Yes, nobody picks first round winners 100% of the time, but H&H have earned my trust and respect. And if it meant a 3rd round draft pick to guarantee taylor, then so be it. I wouldn't be surprised if he exceeds our expectations just like Haiden did last year.
Also, the trade down tells me the following. There were only so many elite players on the board. After this list was gone, there was probably another tier of 30 players - any of which would be immediate starters but not necessarily elite caliber. So when this elite group was gone and they had a chance for a trade for two first rounders next year, they went for it - especially feeling that you've got the best secret in the draft anyway. That's just smart.
-
First I find it funny how every one just assumes that he has a conditioning problem just because of his size. This guy played 80 snaps a game last season which is twice as many snaps as Nick Fairley who ironically isn't ever mentioned to have conditioning problems. This guy actually has great stamina and athleticism for someone his size. One of his coaches from Baylor said that if he was 150 pounds lighter he would be the best WR in the Big 12 lol.
-
He looked pretty good last night.
-
He was a monster. Nice to see how OL are having to hold him in order to keep him in line.
-
looking back at all the negativity, was that just ppl venting b/c they wanted julio? b/c i will gladly take greg little plus all those picks ahead of julio. i know he is very young in his nfl experience, but if he works out wont it be so nice to have a run-clogger fo the next 6 or 7 years? then u can go draft a guy you've heard of if u want
-
It was just people that were mad because they didn't know who he is. Which is because everyone was so focused on the guys in the top 10-15, most people didn't study the guys from 16-30.
-
I think people are disappointed because we didn't go after the big name divas. When rebuilding you have to start from the trenches up (o line and d line). Without a decent o and d line, you're screwed. Just look at Couch and and Carr. The d line solidifies the entire defense. From watching the first couple of game, Taylor looks like a good pick.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better đź’—
Register Login