Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Anyone else impressed with Lerner to this point?

Anyone else impressed with Lerner to this point?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
13 Posts 9 Posters 1.2k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • OconRecon OconReconO Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 1k Posts
    • 2 Reputation
    OconReconO OconRecon wrote on last edited by OconRecon
    #1

    I seem to recall when Randy took over for his father, the word was he wasn't a huge football head, and wanted to remain in the background, at least initially, and let the Browns front office manage the team.

    But during this holiday week, the guy is on the war path. We'll see what he comes up with in the end, but I have to say, he is taking an aggressive and get-it-done approach. 10 wins last year? So what. 4 wins this year. Not good enough. Fire the coach and GM and go after the best. He was the first to talk to Cowher and is now seems to be in the front of the line to talk to the rest and best of the field. He has communicated enough with the press so we know what's going on, but in a no-drama/non-Jerry Jones type of way, which I like.

    Keep it up Randy, we feel you have our back.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Fooleeze F
      • 204 Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      F Fooleeze wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I'm withholding judgement. I'm not sure he's made the right decisions up till now, so I'm hoping he makes the right ones going forward. He seems a little schizophrenic to me, wanting to be the hands-off owner, but keeping his hands in the mix. He's interviewing VP/GM and HC people at the same time, when it should be the VP/GM who is making the HC decisions.

      I really hope the decisions he has made turn out to be the right ones, and I hope he makes the right decisions going forward. We shall see.

      2009 prediction: 8-8, with a much more respectible looking team, and hopefully 3-3 in the division with at least 1 win over each team.
      W 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Gips GipsG
        • 3k Posts
        • 34 Reputation
        GipsG Gips wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Randy is going at getting what appears to be a decent GM aggressively but at this point i dont trust him to do anything to restructure his own style of hands off/on ownership which is really whats choking this team..

        We have been rebuilding since 1964, Why stop now? GO BROWNS!
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Squintz S
          • 508 Posts
          • 5 Reputation
          S Squintz wrote on last edited by
          #4

          This is honestly the first time that I've ever gotten even a hint of a good feeling about having a Lerner own this team.

          I still wish back in '98 they would have awarded the ownership to Tom Murdough. Even if he didn't have the complete monopoly money that Lerner cam equipped with, he knows how to run an organization, had plenty of backing and is above all else a football man. That's even why Bernie sided with him at first.

          CHANGE IS GOOD
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • F Fooleeze

            I'm withholding judgement. I'm not sure he's made the right decisions up till now, so I'm hoping he makes the right ones going forward. He seems a little schizophrenic to me, wanting to be the hands-off owner, but keeping his hands in the mix. He's interviewing VP/GM and HC people at the same time, when it should be the VP/GM who is making the HC decisions.

            I really hope the decisions he has made turn out to be the right ones, and I hope he makes the right decisions going forward. We shall see.

            WPB Dawg Fan W
            • 1k Posts
            • 0 Reputation
            W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @fooleeze said:

            I'm withholding judgement. I'm not sure he's made the right decisions up till now, so I'm hoping he makes the right ones going forward. He seems a little schizophrenic to me, wanting to be the hands-off owner, but keeping his hands in the mix. He's interviewing VP/GM and HC people at the same time, when it should be the VP/GM who is making the HC decisions.

            I really hope the decisions he has made turn out to be the right ones, and I hope he makes the right decisions going forward. We shall see.

            He is doing what I think he should do. He is the overall employer...and he knows the guys that the new VP/GM are likely to want to bring in...so it behooves him to become acquainted with them...as it will color the choice of VP/GM.

            For example, if he knows Pioli is going to bring in Ferentz for sure....and he doesn't want a college coach....chances are he doesn't pursue Pioli.

            So, interviewing BOTH VP/GM AND Coaches is the smartest thing he can do. Then he is more aware and in control of who will end up being the coach of HIS team.

            F 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • W WPB Dawg Fan

              @fooleeze said:

              I'm withholding judgement. I'm not sure he's made the right decisions up till now, so I'm hoping he makes the right ones going forward. He seems a little schizophrenic to me, wanting to be the hands-off owner, but keeping his hands in the mix. He's interviewing VP/GM and HC people at the same time, when it should be the VP/GM who is making the HC decisions.

              I really hope the decisions he has made turn out to be the right ones, and I hope he makes the right decisions going forward. We shall see.

              He is doing what I think he should do. He is the overall employer...and he knows the guys that the new VP/GM are likely to want to bring in...so it behooves him to become acquainted with them...as it will color the choice of VP/GM.

              For example, if he knows Pioli is going to bring in Ferentz for sure....and he doesn't want a college coach....chances are he doesn't pursue Pioli.

              So, interviewing BOTH VP/GM AND Coaches is the smartest thing he can do. Then he is more aware and in control of who will end up being the coach of HIS team.

              Fooleeze F
              • 204 Posts
              • 0 Reputation
              F Fooleeze wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @wpb-dawg-fan said:

              He is doing what I think he should do. He is the overall employer...and he knows the guys that the new VP/GM are likely to want to bring in...so it behooves him to become acquainted with them...as it will color the choice of VP/GM.

              For example, if he knows Pioli is going to bring in Ferentz for sure....and he doesn't want a college coach....chances are he doesn't pursue Pioli.

              So, interviewing BOTH VP/GM AND Coaches is the smartest thing he can do. Then he is more aware and in control of who will end up being the coach of HIS team.

              Very good perspective, I can't argue with that. Thanks. Here's hoping it all turns out right! He gives the impression of trying to do things the right way.

              2009 prediction: 8-8, with a much more respectible looking team, and hopefully 3-3 in the division with at least 1 win over each team.
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Chicopee John C
                • 2k Posts
                • 104 Reputation
                C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @inspecta said:

                Well nobody can accuse Lerner of not trying.

                He seems genuinely concerned with turning this franchise around, which is a good thing.

                I think sometimes we mistake his hands off approach for apathy, but now with no FO he is taking the bull by the horns and trying to find us a winner.

                I just pray he picks the right guy(s)

                You make Lerner Jr. sound like Art Modell throughout the years, Inspecta.

                I say more like DAVID Modell.

                Shep says Lerner Jr. is respected around the league. I never heard such a thing - his organization is God awful. No wonder opposing coaches, GMs and owners like him.

                LOLOL

                "God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy."
                C 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • C Chicopee John

                  @inspecta said:

                  Well nobody can accuse Lerner of not trying.

                  He seems genuinely concerned with turning this franchise around, which is a good thing.

                  I think sometimes we mistake his hands off approach for apathy, but now with no FO he is taking the bull by the horns and trying to find us a winner.

                  I just pray he picks the right guy(s)

                  You make Lerner Jr. sound like Art Modell throughout the years, Inspecta.

                  I say more like DAVID Modell.

                  Shep says Lerner Jr. is respected around the league. I never heard such a thing - his organization is God awful. No wonder opposing coaches, GMs and owners like him.

                  LOLOL

                  Chicopee John C
                  • 2k Posts
                  • 104 Reputation
                  C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @chicopee-john said:

                  You make Lerner Jr. sound like Art Modell throughout the years, Inspecta.

                  I say more like DAVID Modell.

                  Shep says Lerner Jr. is respected around the league. I never heard such a thing - his organization is God awful. No wonder opposing coaches, GMs and owners like him. LOLOL

                  I was listening to ESPN radio yesterday and the topic of the Browns came up.

                  One of the two hosts - Greenberg and Golic had the morning off - said that Lerner has a reputation around the league of spending more time in England (I presume to watch over his soccer team) than he does tending to the Browns.

                  Does that say that Lerner 'is respected around the league?'

                  LOLOLOL I respect that kid for betting so much money on his billiard games - I hope he continues as he hasn't won a game from me yet!

                  "God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy."
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • DTBH DTBHD
                    • 657 Posts
                    • 0 Reputation
                    DTBHD DTBH wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3803935

                    Lerner gave Pioli a deadline, and it's today. He means business.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • mz. ?
                      • Posts
                      • 0 Reputation
                      ? mz. wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      Ultimatums suck balls. They always backfire. I hate to say it, but I doubt we land Pioli.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • DTBH DTBHD
                        • 657 Posts
                        • 0 Reputation
                        DTBHD DTBH wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        PFT has a little something about the deadline, and it's not very optomistic. It says that the Browns made a huge financial offer, but Pioli's demands are almost too much for any team to meet.

                        Typical.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • pl4tinum P
                          • 504 Posts
                          • 1 Reputation
                          P pl4tinum wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          Why the hell is he interviewing coaches if we don't have a GM?

                          This dude's doing it back fuking asswards AGAIN.

                          No, I'm not impressed.

                          2009-10 Browns Prediction: 8-8
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • Chicopee John C
                            • 2k Posts
                            • 104 Reputation
                            C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @inspecta said:

                            I'm starting to think hiring Pioli is the smartest thing he can do and then let Pioli hire the coach.

                            That's where I sit, Inspecta.

                            Lerner possibly mucking things up by interviewing for the HC position before or while he tries to hire a GM doesn't make a lot of sense to me - I am not a sports guy but I do know a little bit about organizational structure, respecting managers to help drive positive outcomes, etc. - and fear that top-flight GM candidates might be turned off by the 'meddling' at this time.

                            There is an old story about somebody being able to muck up a wet dream and I hope Lerner Jr. isn't one of them.

                            "God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy."
                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply

                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                            Register Login
                            Reply
                            • Reply as topic
                            Log in to reply
                            • Oldest to Newest
                            • Newest to Oldest
                            • Most Votes


                            Theme
                            • System
                            • Light
                            • Dark
                            The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                            The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                            • First post
                              Last post
                            0
                            • Forums
                            • Recent
                            • Popular
                            • Users
                            • Donate