Skip to content

Colt Mccoy Coaching Teammates On Browns’ New System

The Browns Board
14 13 1.3k
  • Colt McCoy coaching teammates on Browns’ new system

    Posted by Michael David Smith on May 3, 2011, 8:31 AM EDT

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/03/colt-mccoy-coaching-teammates-on-browns-new-system/

    By rule, NFL players haven’t been permitted to meet with coaches or get their playbooks except on the one day that the lockout was briefly lifted. But Browns quarterback Colt McCoy sounds like he has a suspiciously good feel for the system run by the team’s new head coach, Pat Shurmur.

    McCoy told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that he’s the man running the show at the players’ offseason workouts because he’s the one who knows the offense.

    “We have a new coach and a new system and I’m really the only one that has that much clue about what’s going on,” said McCoy. “I’ve spent a lot of time in the playbook, so it was important for us to get together and study. It was a lot mental. We spent a lot of time understanding the basic foundation of what goes on in the West Coast. It’s a lot different from what we ran last year.”

    The Browns were reportedly fined $50,000 for improper contact with players, but if that contact has them ahead of other teams when the lockout finally ends, then $50,000 is a bargain.

    McCoy also said that his throwing shoulder, which hadn’t been 100 percent since then-Alabama, now-Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus hit him in the national championship game 16 months ago, is finally as good as new.

    “It feels as good as it’s ever felt,” McCoy said. “Throwing-wise, I definitely feel back up to speed. I’m not getting fatigued as much as what I was. I really feel good and confident, so that’s always a plus.”

    And it’s a plus that he can make his teammates feel good and confident in the new offense.

  • This is a great read. The kid really does love the game and he's intelligent. I'm starting to believe we have a QB that will be around for a long time.

  • I am a HUGE Colt Fan! The kid just has a passion for the game & winning that you seldom see. I heard Newton say the other night that, (after playing in a very simple system at Auburn), learning Pro terminology will be "no problem". This after John Gruden told him that would be his biggest hurdle. I think that, despite his immense physical talent, Cam Newton will NOT live up to the hype as he has no clue as to how hard he will need to work. Physical talent at QB will only take you so far. I think Colt has that EXTRA dimension that will take him BEYOND what many feel are his physical limitations.

    Mike

  • Other than a rocket arm(not a must), Colt has all the tools to be a great QB.

    Accurate

    Mobile

    Smart

    Leadership

    and possibly the most important: LOVE FOR THE GAME

  • Colt McCoy coaching teammates on Browns’ new system

    Posted by Michael David Smith on May 3, 2011, 8:31 AM EDT

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/03/colt-mccoy-coaching-teammates-on-browns-new-system/

    By rule, NFL players haven’t been permitted to meet with coaches or get their playbooks except on the one day that the lockout was briefly lifted. But Browns quarterback Colt McCoy sounds like he has a suspiciously good feel for the system run by the team’s new head coach, Pat Shurmur.

    McCoy told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that he’s the man running the show at the players’ offseason workouts because he’s the one who knows the offense.

    “We have a new coach and a new system and I’m really the only one that has that much clue about what’s going on,” said McCoy. “I’ve spent a lot of time in the playbook, so it was important for us to get together and study. It was a lot mental. We spent a lot of time understanding the basic foundation of what goes on in the West Coast. It’s a lot different from what we ran last year.”

    The Browns were reportedly fined $50,000 for improper contact with players, but if that contact has them ahead of other teams when the lockout finally ends, then $50,000 is a bargain.

    McCoy also said that his throwing shoulder, which hadn’t been 100 percent since then-Alabama, now-Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus hit him in the national championship game 16 months ago, is finally as good as new.

    “It feels as good as it’s ever felt,” McCoy said. “Throwing-wise, I definitely feel back up to speed. I’m not getting fatigued as much as what I was. I really feel good and confident, so that’s always a plus.”

    And it’s a plus that he can make his teammates feel good and confident in the new offense.

    @usfbrown said:

    Colt McCoy coaching teammates on Browns’ new system

    Posted by Michael David Smith on May 3, 2011, 8:31 AM EDT

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/03/colt-mccoy-coaching-teammates-on-browns-new-system/

    By rule, NFL players haven’t been permitted to meet with coaches or get their playbooks except on the one day that the lockout was briefly lifted. But Browns quarterback Colt McCoy sounds like he has a suspiciously good feel for the system run by the team’s new head coach, Pat Shurmur.

    McCoy told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that he’s the man running the show at the players’ offseason workouts because he’s the one who knows the offense.

    “We have a new coach and a new system and I’m really the only one that has that much clue about what’s going on,” said McCoy. “I’ve spent a lot of time in the playbook, so it was important for us to get together and study. It was a lot mental. We spent a lot of time understanding the basic foundation of what goes on in the West Coast. It’s a lot different from what we ran last year.”

    The Browns were reportedly fined $50,000 for improper contact with players, but if that contact has them ahead of other teams when the lockout finally ends, then $50,000 is a bargain.

    McCoy also said that his throwing shoulder, which hadn’t been 100 percent since then-Alabama, now-Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus hit him in the national championship game 16 months ago, is finally as good as new.

    “It feels as good as it’s ever felt,” McCoy said. “Throwing-wise, I definitely feel back up to speed. I’m not getting fatigued as much as what I was. I really feel good and confident, so that’s always a plus.”

    And it’s a plus that he can make his teammates feel good and confident in the new offense.

    great post usf. this kid exudes confidence.

  • Are we allowed to have a QB who wants to step up and be a team leader?

  • Other than a rocket arm(not a must), Colt has all the tools to be a great QB.

    Accurate

    Mobile

    Smart

    Leadership

    and possibly the most important: LOVE FOR THE GAME

    @clevelandbigdawg said:

    Other than a rocket arm(not a must), Colt has all the tools to be a great QB.

    Accurate

    Mobile

    Smart

    Leadership

    and possibly the most important: LOVE FOR THE GAME

    not to mention he has a hot wife and has never been accused of rape...

  • I'm just hoping he doesn't have a sophmore slump.

  • Are we allowed to have a QB who wants to step up and be a team leader?

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    Are we allowed to have a QB who wants to step up and be a team leader?

    haha it is deffently nice to see this

  • I'm just hoping he doesn't have a sophmore slump.

    @burgels said:

    I'm just hoping he doesn't have a sophmore slump.

    You have to be a "Freshman Sensation" to have a sophomore slump. McCoy didn't play in enough games to be a freshman sensation. No, I think he will show steady improvement. If things go as I hope, by year 3-4 he will start to be at the top of his game.

  • blind leading the blind?

    i mean, hey it's good he's showing leadership.....but the installation of an entirely new scheme? could he do more harm than good if he's not 100% on the same page as the coaches?

  • blind leading the blind?

    i mean, hey it's good he's showing leadership.....but the installation of an entirely new scheme? could he do more harm than good if he's not 100% on the same page as the coaches?

    @gafreleets said:

    blind leading the blind?

    i mean, hey it's good he's showing leadership.....but the installation of an entirely new scheme? could he do more harm than good if he's not 100% on the same page as the coaches?

    No shit Sherlock...These arent school kids troll boy, theyre grown Men...Its not like theyre gonna absorb it all in one day...what they will do is work on the basic fundamentals of the new offense such as Snap counts...route running...hand eye coordination looking downfield...and hitch steps...Hitch steps and route running are the most crucial of techniques in the WCO besides normal things like accuracy and play selection.

  • It's good to hear his arm is feeling better I wonder how much fatigue played into his problems throwing late last year.

  • In all honesty we don't know how much the coaches talked to McCoy legally or not. He could be around 80% up to doped on the entire offense