Rey Maualuga
-
Dude Rey is Hawaiin
-
@shepwrite said:
I think this thread is making Rey out to be, uh... not good. I don't think Kiper or anybody else would agree. He's at worst a Top 12 pick.I don't think I said that...just that he's not a Bruschi when it comes to a character, nor is he worth a top 5 pick.
But if you want to hear from people who disagree with both of us, you can check out this comment made by an anonymous NFL scout:
Well, I’m not a west coast guy but I just do not get the hype around Rey Maualuga (USC linebacker). So what if he’s a giant? That kid has zero football instincts and he isn’t one bit better than when he got there. Every time he actually makes a play he looks great, but watch him on the plays where he isn’t making the tackle. He’s taking himself out of plays and he cannot turn at all.
I know our west coast scout feels the same and he will not be high on our board.
-
@shepwrite said:
I think this thread is making Rey out to be, uh... not good. I don't think Kiper or anybody else would agree. He's at worst a Top 12 pick.I don't think I said that...just that he's not a Bruschi when it comes to a character, nor is he worth a top 5 pick.
But if you want to hear from people who disagree with both of us, you can check out this comment made by an anonymous NFL scout:
Well, I’m not a west coast guy but I just do not get the hype around Rey Maualuga (USC linebacker). So what if he’s a giant? That kid has zero football instincts and he isn’t one bit better than when he got there. Every time he actually makes a play he looks great, but watch him on the plays where he isn’t making the tackle. He’s taking himself out of plays and he cannot turn at all.
I know our west coast scout feels the same and he will not be high on our board.
Aloysius said:
I don't think I said that...just that he's not a Bruschi when it comes to a character, nor is he worth a top 5 pick.But if you want to hear from people who disagree with both of us, you can check out this comment made by an anonymous NFL scout:
I agree with him to the extent that it becomes clear once you've watched a lot of these guys who's the better overall linebacker.
I have said it before, and I'll say it again. Brian Cushing is the best LB on USC, not Ray. Taylor Mays is their best defensive player.
-
And here's PFW's Nolan Nawrocki on Rey Rey:
Rey Maualuga, USC
6-2e, 250e, 4.7e
A true “Mike” linebacker with terrific strength at the point of attack, Maualuga still gets out of position too often and takes some questionable angles. When he has a clean window, he can strike with the authority of a small truck and level ballcarriers. However, he is tight in the hips, does not change direction cleanly and could be restricted on third downs, limiting his overall value. Durability and overall character still need closer examination, and perhaps the biggest question scouts will want answered is whether he can be more than a two-down, “Mike” ’backer in the NFL. A strong tackler with good overall instincts, Maualuga should contribute readily in the pros if he can stay focused.
-
He's badass and that's something that we need on this team. I wanna get him. Having him along with D'Qwell Jackson and Beau Bell, we would have a pretty solid linebacking corps
-
Aloysius said:
I don't think I said that...just that he's not a Bruschi when it comes to a character, nor is he worth a top 5 pick.But if you want to hear from people who disagree with both of us, you can check out this comment made by an anonymous NFL scout:
I agree with him to the extent that it becomes clear once you've watched a lot of these guys who's the better overall linebacker.
I have said it before, and I'll say it again. Brian Cushing is the best LB on USC, not Ray. Taylor Mays is their best defensive player.
Masters said:
I have said it before, and I'll say it again. Brian Cushing is the best LB on USC, not Ray. Taylor Mays is their best defensive player.They're very different kinds of linebackers, but I can see why you'd think that.
Cushing & Curry were two guys I approached with a great deal of skepticism this year...and ended up being blown away. Cushing's durability issues worry me, tho.
I just want to revisit this YouTube clip of Cushing. Do you guys really not find this strange?
I mean, imagine if Brady Quinn was talking to Andrea Kremer after the game & Maualaga started doing something like that: don't you think Quinn would have been pissed?
-
Masters said:
I have said it before, and I'll say it again. Brian Cushing is the best LB on USC, not Ray. Taylor Mays is their best defensive player.They're very different kinds of linebackers, but I can see why you'd think that.
Cushing & Curry were two guys I approached with a great deal of skepticism this year...and ended up being blown away. Cushing's durability issues worry me, tho.
I just want to revisit this YouTube clip of Cushing. Do you guys really not find this strange?
I mean, imagine if Brady Quinn was talking to Andrea Kremer after the game & Maualaga started doing something like that: don't you think Quinn would have been pissed?
Aloysius said:
I mean, imagine if Brady Quinn was talking to Andrea Kremer after the game & Maualaga started doing something like that: don't you think Quinn would have been pissed?Wow. That clip showed a total lack of class.
BTW, the Youtube clips that Shep posted links to were a combined 5+ minutes Rey on pass plays. He was impressive, but there was not one running play on those clips. i know that sacks and interceptions are more glamorous for clips like those. Can Rey shed a block and play the run? That is DQ's clear weakness, and we don't need two guys posting big tackle stats that happen to be 5-8 yards downfield.
-
I'm with Alo on just about everything besides the interview video.
I'd love to have an attitude on our defense, but Maualuga just has too much Bosworth in him. He'd be a great guy to take a flier on if you don't have many holes, or you have multiple picks or whatever, but with a top 5 pick on a team like ours who NEEDS to hit on this, I'd go with the safer option and take Curry. Too much bust potential in Rey.
I don't think I'd complain with any of Rey, Curry or Beanie, but I'm definitely on the Curry wagon.
-
When building a team there are certain traits that are important when selecting personnel. I am in charge of a team at work, not football players, but I think the same applies to all "team" situations. You want someone who is intelligent, who works hard, and who works well in your team environment. Maualuga is definitely a beast in the middle, but I question his overall intelligence and leadership. I would much rather see Curry if we indeed go LB in the first round. I am not saying that I am a draft expert, but then again who is? There is just something about Maualuga that I can't get over. Call it a gut feeling if you will. I may be wrong and will gladly admit it if I am, but I don't think that Maualuga will be as great as some people think.
-
Curry seems to be everyones favorite player over Rey at ILB but people need to understand this - While Rey had support at USC, he was also playing against some of the best offenses in the nation in the Pac-10. The Pac-10 boasts 5 of the top 30 scoring offenses in the nation (Oregon, USC, Arizona, Cal, Oregon State) while the ACC boasts only one in the top 50- Florida State.
The next highest scoring offense Wake Forrest played against was Navy in their bowl game and Curry didn't impress.
Curry played against lesser offenses in the ACC which helped his performance.
-
I sincerely hope that Maualuga's no longer the angry kid who got in so much trouble his first two years at USC.
Because reports like this one are pretty sickening:
Less than two weeks ago, Maualuga was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor battery after witnesses said he punched out a man at a party near campus.
According to witnesses, in the early morning hours of a Halloween party, with no apparent motivation, Maualuga walked up and punched his alleged victim twice, knocking him down.
When the victim’s companion threatened to call police, Maualuga allegedly shouted, “I own the police” before running away.
-
@shepwrite said:
Let's get a look at both guys during Senior Bowl Week... which is even more important than the Combine. That's where Curry will face the kind of competition Rey faces.If Herm Edwards gets fired, we'd actually be in line to be one of the teams coaching at the Senior Bowl. And because USC & Wake Forest guys play on different squads, our coaches would have a chance to spend a week working with one of these LB's.
Unfortunately, there's not enough time for our new coaching staff to get things together in time to coach the game. I kind of wish we could just send RAC down there with a few position coaches & have him get a better sense for us how good Maualuga or Curry is (with the other coaching staff being Seattle, I'm guessing we'd have the South squad, which would give us Aaron Curry).
-
Perhaps it's fitting that Maualauga's nondescript performance on the field on Thursday is getting less attention than what he did on the sideline:
Not the biggest deal in the world, but an incredibly stupid thing to do with a bunch of NFL scouts watching your every move.
I just don't trust this guy to make the right decisions, both on and off the field.
-
I agree...and with where we pick, we can do better than that.
-
@shepwrite said:
Let's get a look at both guys during Senior Bowl Week... which is even more important than the Combine. That's where Curry will face the kind of competition Rey faces.If Herm Edwards gets fired, we'd actually be in line to be one of the teams coaching at the Senior Bowl. And because USC & Wake Forest guys play on different squads, our coaches would have a chance to spend a week working with one of these LB's.
Unfortunately, there's not enough time for our new coaching staff to get things together in time to coach the game. I kind of wish we could just send RAC down there with a few position coaches & have him get a better sense for us how good Maualuga or Curry is (with the other coaching staff being Seattle, I'm guessing we'd have the South squad, which would give us Aaron Curry).
Aloysius said:
If Herm Edwards gets fired, we'd actually be in line to be one of the teams coaching at the Senior Bowl.IF we have a Head Coach hired by then.
I think Rey fell off everyone's radar. If we're going LBer first, it looks like Curry is the consenus. I hope Curry's agent is as impressive as Aloy for endorsing that kid.
I'm sort of worried about the GM thang because I would think Pioli would want to name the guy he's either gonna walk the plank with or lead us into happily ever after with. I kept reading Piloi only had eyes for Cleveland and turned down all other jobs in recent years. I also read Lerner gave him a blank check - so what's up?
- Tom F.
-
I think that video speaks volumes about Maualuga's character. He should not even be on our board when we draft. Again, we need players who smart and tough with character and a good work ethic...not some immature malcontent who will suddenly find themself with a shit load of money in which to get into trouble.
-
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login