Reports: Browns Interested In Pryor?
-
Really? The last time I saw the two on the field together, they were playing each other, and to me it looked like it was Pryor who had the superior QB skills.
It was Pryor, not Mallet who had the leadership to bring his team the victory.
Arkansas defense was abused all year, Ohio States was pretty good. Let me refresh you memory
For all but one minute of the 2011 Sugar Bowl, Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett was on fire. It was a split-second mistake in the final minute of the Sugar Bowl that preserved a 31-26 Ohio State win over Arkansas as the Razorbacks came up just short. For a moment, following Colton Miles-Nash's blocked punt with just over a minute to go, it looked like Arkansas would complete an incredible comeback, only to see the Sugar Bowl slip away as Solomon Thomas stepped in front of Mallet's second down pass.
Mallett ended the game with 277 yards, two touchdowns and that one interception. Considering how many times Arkansas receivers dropped crucial passes, the Sugar Bowl could've had a very different results. Time after time, Mallett hit receivers square in the hands, right in the numbers, only to see the ball hit the turf. It seemed like every receiver dropped at least one, something the Razorbacks are surely kicking themselves over this morning.
The Razorbacks racked up 402 yards of total offense, 277 of which came through the air and 125 of which came on the ground. Knile Davis led all rushers with a game-high 139 yards on 26 carries. Jarrius Wright caught four passes for 70 yards and Joe Adams grabbed nine passes for a game-high 120 yards and a touchdown. The Arkansas offense was firing, and gave the Razorbacks plenty of chances to bring home the Sugar Bowl trophy.
Did Pryor have superior QB skills?..No....Superior team?...Yes
Arkansas defense was abused all year, Ohio States was pretty good. Let me refresh you memory
Did Pryor have superior QB skills?..No....Superior team?...Yes
You mean to tell me that you don't believe that the great and powerful SEC didn't have the best defenses in the nation, as everyone has proclaimed over the years?
The test on who will have the best PRO QB skills will only be answered in a few years.
In that regard, Mallet may have both a blessing and a curse by having to sit behind Tom Brady.
A blessing because, obviously, he will be sitting behind and learning from just about the best there is. A curse because who knows how many years it could be before he may be given the chance to start in the NFL is he stays behind Brady.
Pryor may have blessings and curses that are the opposite of Mallet's. Though it shouldn't happen, it is entirely possible that he may be selected by one of the QB poor teams that may want to try to get him in the game ASAP. Thus, the blessing is that he might get a chance to play right away. The curse is that he might have to play right away....when he should be learning and developing.
-
Teams needing QB help that might dip their toes into the Pryor "sweepstakes":
Buffalo...though they have Ryan Fitzpatrick that seems adequate to bridge any gap to a potential young QB.
Arizona...nobody really believes that they are willing to continue to go with DA and whatever other garbage they have on their roster.
.....note to all those who believe a highly touted QB is going to be a sure thing. Two words: Matt Leinert.
Washington....Who is their QB? Surely not McNabbb. What else have they got?
Miami....does anyone believe in Chad Henne?
Seattle....does anyone believe in Charlie Whitehurst? (more than Chad Henne, but that's not saying anything)
San Francisco....I think the Alex Smith experiment has played out. Who else do they have? Colin Koepernik?
Oakland....they may actually be in better shape with Jason Campbell than any of the above teams. He at least seems to fit their system, whatever that is.
The likes of Cincinnatti with Dalton, Carolina with Newton, Minnesota with Ponder, and Tennessee with Locker theoretically "solved" their QB question, right? (or maybe these guys are all reincarnations of guys named Leinert, Russell, Leaf, Harrington)
What about Cleveland? Are we so sure of our future at QB? I'd like to think so, but no guarantees.
Rumor Mill: When the lockout is lifted the Dolphins are going to make a play to trade for Carson Palmer. Though Mike Brown may not actively seek a trade of Palmer, that doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't listen to trade offers if they came in from other teams.
Of course, if trade offers do come in, he will probably try to reap serious ransom.
-
Pryor has played the QB position his entire football life... I just can't see him agreeing to switch positions at this stage of his development... You need an ego to play the position, his might be too big to switch
In my opinion, he progressed by leaps and bounds during his 3 years at the OSU.. His atheletic skills are off the charts but as with every rookie QB, a lot will be determined by the supporting cast around him... In addition, the teams system will dictate how he is used and how well he performs..
Given the right situation, Pryor will flourish in the NFL... With his running ability or threat of, he could be super freaky in the WCO..
As I read somewhere online, Cleveland may be too close to the epicenter for Pryor to succeed here.. He played the major role in the situation at Ohio State and I'm not sure the fan base here would be that forgiving the 1st time he stumbled.....
peace
T.Dawg
-
Pryor has played the QB position his entire football life... I just can't see him agreeing to switch positions at this stage of his development... You need an ego to play the position, his might be too big to switch
In my opinion, he progressed by leaps and bounds during his 3 years at the OSU.. His atheletic skills are off the charts but as with every rookie QB, a lot will be determined by the supporting cast around him... In addition, the teams system will dictate how he is used and how well he performs..
Given the right situation, Pryor will flourish in the NFL... With his running ability or threat of, he could be super freaky in the WCO..
As I read somewhere online, Cleveland may be too close to the epicenter for Pryor to succeed here.. He played the major role in the situation at Ohio State and I'm not sure the fan base here would be that forgiving the 1st time he stumbled.....
peace
T.Dawg
Pryor has played the QB position his entire football life... I just can't see him agreeing to switch positions at this stage of his development... You need an ego to play the position, his might be too big to switch
In my opinion, he progressed by leaps and bounds during his 3 years at the OSU.. His atheletic skills are off the charts but as with every rookie QB, a lot will be determined by the supporting cast around him... In addition, the teams system will dictate how he is used and how well he performs..
Given the right situation, Pryor will flourish in the NFL... With his running ability or threat of, he could be super freaky in the WCO..
As I read somewhere online, Cleveland may be too close to the epicenter for Pryor to succeed here.. He played the major role in the situation at Ohio State and I'm not sure the fan base here would be that forgiving the 1st time he stumbled.....
peace
T.Dawg
First even though being mobile is important for a QB in the WCO, it is no where near as important as accuracy which Pryor struggles with on short pass (WCO is based around short passes). Also I think he would switch to a different position, all he needs to see is the $. That's all he cares about. All it will take is a team dangaling his contract in front of his face and saying, "Do what we want or NO SOUP FOR YOU!"
-
Pryor has played the QB position his entire football life... I just can't see him agreeing to switch positions at this stage of his development... You need an ego to play the position, his might be too big to switch
In my opinion, he progressed by leaps and bounds during his 3 years at the OSU.. His atheletic skills are off the charts but as with every rookie QB, a lot will be determined by the supporting cast around him... In addition, the teams system will dictate how he is used and how well he performs..
Given the right situation, Pryor will flourish in the NFL... With his running ability or threat of, he could be super freaky in the WCO..
As I read somewhere online, Cleveland may be too close to the epicenter for Pryor to succeed here.. He played the major role in the situation at Ohio State and I'm not sure the fan base here would be that forgiving the 1st time he stumbled.....
peace
T.Dawg
First even though being mobile is important for a QB in the WCO, it is no where near as important as accuracy which Pryor struggles with on short pass (WCO is based around short passes). Also I think he would switch to a different position, all he needs to see is the $. That's all he cares about. All it will take is a team dangaling his contract in front of his face and saying, "Do what we want or NO SOUP FOR YOU!"
Hillis-iz-Boss said:
First even though being mobile is important for a QB in the WCO, it is no where near as important as accuracy which Pryor struggles with on short pass (WCO is based around short passes). Also I think he would switch to a different position, all he needs to see is the $. That's all he cares about. All it will take is a team dangaling his contract in front of his face and saying, "Do what we want or NO SOUP FOR YOU!"
He will get whatever money he gets. And he will get it for being a QB, not anything else. Whoever drafts him, wherever they draft him, it will be as a QB, and he will get paid as a QB. He may not be a fit for the Browns WCO, but that does not mean he won't fit in at many places. As far as his accuracy in the short game, that is similar to what some have said about Colt McCoy.
The King of Inaccuracy in the short passing game was one Mr. Derek Anderson. Yet, he remains an NFL QB.
Now, if you compared Pryor to DA, I would say that may be a reasonable analogy. The only question there would be: DA never did learn to correct his problems with the short passing game. Can Pryor do what DA couldn't? Who knows.
-
Pryor is a QB and will play QB at the next level..
Obviously he feels that some NFL team will throw money at him cause He's already turned down the Canadian league...
Pryor is a superb athelete and as I said previously, chances are he will succeed in the NFL if he is put in the right system and has a supporting cast that compliments his abilities...
The NFL could care less about his off field activities at OSU.. Those that are most upset are the fans that put him on the pedistal in the 1st place and those who truely love Ohio State...
Just another "jock" that was pampered his entire life and will continue to be pampered if he gets the job done at the next level...
I just feel that Cleveland is too close to the Buckeye situation for him to succeed here....
Peace
T.Dawg
-
Hillis-iz-Boss said:
First even though being mobile is important for a QB in the WCO, it is no where near as important as accuracy which Pryor struggles with on short pass (WCO is based around short passes). Also I think he would switch to a different position, all he needs to see is the $. That's all he cares about. All it will take is a team dangaling his contract in front of his face and saying, "Do what we want or NO SOUP FOR YOU!"
He will get whatever money he gets. And he will get it for being a QB, not anything else. Whoever drafts him, wherever they draft him, it will be as a QB, and he will get paid as a QB. He may not be a fit for the Browns WCO, but that does not mean he won't fit in at many places. As far as his accuracy in the short game, that is similar to what some have said about Colt McCoy.
The King of Inaccuracy in the short passing game was one Mr. Derek Anderson. Yet, he remains an NFL QB.
Now, if you compared Pryor to DA, I would say that may be a reasonable analogy. The only question there would be: DA never did learn to correct his problems with the short passing game. Can Pryor do what DA couldn't? Who knows.
He will get whatever money he gets. And he will get it for being a QB, not anything else. Whoever drafts him, wherever they draft him, it will be as a QB, and he will get paid as a QB. He may not be a fit for the Browns WCO, but that does not mean he won't fit in at many places. As far as his accuracy in the short game, that is similar to what some have said about Colt McCoy.
The King of Inaccuracy in the short passing game was one Mr. Derek Anderson. Yet, he remains an NFL QB.
Now, if you compared Pryor to DA, I would say that may be a reasonable analogy. The only question there would be: DA never did learn to correct his problems with the short passing game. Can Pryor do what DA couldn't? Who knows.
Have you ever considered that a team would offer him MORE money if he agreed to play other positions? Ya he is going to get offered a contract as a QB, but paying a QB you pick in the 4th round isn't any different than what you pay for a O Tackle. So imagine if the team that takes him offers him more than he would normally make if he would be an athlete rather than just a QB.
I also don't understand what you are getting at by saying his short accuracy is the same as McCoy's. McCoy's strength is his short and medium accuracy which is why he is projected as a good WCO QB.
-
He will get whatever money he gets. And he will get it for being a QB, not anything else. Whoever drafts him, wherever they draft him, it will be as a QB, and he will get paid as a QB. He may not be a fit for the Browns WCO, but that does not mean he won't fit in at many places. As far as his accuracy in the short game, that is similar to what some have said about Colt McCoy.
The King of Inaccuracy in the short passing game was one Mr. Derek Anderson. Yet, he remains an NFL QB.
Now, if you compared Pryor to DA, I would say that may be a reasonable analogy. The only question there would be: DA never did learn to correct his problems with the short passing game. Can Pryor do what DA couldn't? Who knows.
Have you ever considered that a team would offer him MORE money if he agreed to play other positions? Ya he is going to get offered a contract as a QB, but paying a QB you pick in the 4th round isn't any different than what you pay for a O Tackle. So imagine if the team that takes him offers him more than he would normally make if he would be an athlete rather than just a QB.
I also don't understand what you are getting at by saying his short accuracy is the same as McCoy's. McCoy's strength is his short and medium accuracy which is why he is projected as a good WCO QB.
Hillis-iz-Boss said:
Have you ever considered that a team would offer him MORE money if he agreed to play other positions?
No, because it is absurd. Nobody gets paid higher money than a QB does.
Ya he is going to get offered a contract as a QB, but paying a QB you pick in the 4th round isn't any different than what you pay for a O Tackle.
I would bet you lunch that isn't true, if that question could be answered.
So imagine if the team that takes him offers him more than he would normally make if he would be an athlete rather than just a QB.
Now you are just dreaming. If my grandmother had gonads she'd be my grandfather. It ain't happening!
I also don't understand what you are getting at by saying his short accuracy is the same as McCoy's. McCoy's strength is his short and medium accuracy which is why he is projected as a good WCO QB.
I do not mean to imply that they were both criticized for the same thing. All I remember is that some questioned McCoy's "accuracy". I don't know if that was his short passing, long passing or what.
And I didn't understand that criticism because McCoy I believe led the NCAA in passing completion percentage for 2 straight years. To me that seems hellaciously accurate.
-
Hillis-iz-Boss said:
First even though being mobile is important for a QB in the WCO, it is no where near as important as accuracy which Pryor struggles with on short pass (WCO is based around short passes). Also I think he would switch to a different position, all he needs to see is the $. That's all he cares about. All it will take is a team dangaling his contract in front of his face and saying, "Do what we want or NO SOUP FOR YOU!"
He will get whatever money he gets. And he will get it for being a QB, not anything else. Whoever drafts him, wherever they draft him, it will be as a QB, and he will get paid as a QB. He may not be a fit for the Browns WCO, but that does not mean he won't fit in at many places. As far as his accuracy in the short game, that is similar to what some have said about Colt McCoy.
The King of Inaccuracy in the short passing game was one Mr. Derek Anderson. Yet, he remains an NFL QB.
Now, if you compared Pryor to DA, I would say that may be a reasonable analogy. The only question there would be: DA never did learn to correct his problems with the short passing game. Can Pryor do what DA couldn't? Who knows.
He will get whatever money he gets. And he will get it for being a QB, not anything else. Whoever drafts him, wherever they draft him, it will be as a QB, and he will get paid as a QB. He may not be a fit for the Browns WCO, but that does not mean he won't fit in at many places. As far as his accuracy in the short game, that is similar to what some have said about Colt McCoy.
The King of Inaccuracy in the short passing game was one Mr. Derek Anderson. Yet, he remains an NFL QB.
Now, if you compared Pryor to DA, I would say that may be a reasonable analogy. The only question there would be: DA never did learn to correct his problems with the short passing game. Can Pryor do what DA couldn't? Who knows.
Bad analogy Gip. Anderson was a nobody drafted out of Oregon State in the sixth round. I rarely make bets, but I'm betting Pryor will go higher than that in the supplemental draft- especially when you consider after lock #1 overall Andrew Luck the pickings get mighty slim mighty fast. Pryor is a far superior athlete than DA- except in one respect. Anderson has a cannon of an arm that Pryor (or just about anyone short of John Elway) can't match. Pryor can run a reported 4.3, Anderson is a freaking statue in the pocket.
That said, athleticism will only get you so far in the NFL- especially at qb. Pyror's looked OK- not great @ OSU playing against generally inferior competition. I watch a ton of Buckeye ball, and I can honestly say I've never said to myself, "wow, Pryor's so freaking great, wouldn't it be super special if the Browns could land him somehow?" The last OSU qb who had that legit tag in my mind was Art Schlister. Pryor won't have all day to survey the field in the NFL waiting for someone to break open, there's a ton of LBs there nearly as fast as he is ready & willing to bust him up if he takes off when protection breaks down (I've yet to see Pryor absorb a true NFL kill-shot), and to my mind the biggest negative, he really doesn't have the quickest release I've ever seen- in fact it's mighty slow.
-
He will get whatever money he gets. And he will get it for being a QB, not anything else. Whoever drafts him, wherever they draft him, it will be as a QB, and he will get paid as a QB. He may not be a fit for the Browns WCO, but that does not mean he won't fit in at many places. As far as his accuracy in the short game, that is similar to what some have said about Colt McCoy.
The King of Inaccuracy in the short passing game was one Mr. Derek Anderson. Yet, he remains an NFL QB.
Now, if you compared Pryor to DA, I would say that may be a reasonable analogy. The only question there would be: DA never did learn to correct his problems with the short passing game. Can Pryor do what DA couldn't? Who knows.
Bad analogy Gip. Anderson was a nobody drafted out of Oregon State in the sixth round. I rarely make bets, but I'm betting Pryor will go higher than that in the supplemental draft- especially when you consider after lock #1 overall Andrew Luck the pickings get mighty slim mighty fast. Pryor is a far superior athlete than DA- except in one respect. Anderson has a cannon of an arm that Pryor (or just about anyone short of John Elway) can't match. Pryor can run a reported 4.3, Anderson is a freaking statue in the pocket.
That said, athleticism will only get you so far in the NFL- especially at qb. Pyror's looked OK- not great @ OSU playing against generally inferior competition. I watch a ton of Buckeye ball, and I can honestly say I've never said to myself, "wow, Pryor's so freaking great, wouldn't it be super special if the Browns could land him somehow?" The last OSU qb who had that legit tag in my mind was Art Schlister. Pryor won't have all day to survey the field in the NFL waiting for someone to break open, there's a ton of LBs there nearly as fast as he is ready & willing to bust him up if he takes off when protection breaks down (I've yet to see Pryor absorb a true NFL kill-shot), and to my mind the biggest negative, he really doesn't have the quickest release I've ever seen- in fact it's mighty slow.
Bad analogy Gip. Anderson was a nobody drafted out of Oregon State in the sixth round. I rarely make bets, but I'm betting Pryor will go higher than that in the supplemental draft- especially when you consider after lock #1 overall Andrew Luck the pickings get mighty slim mighty fast. Pryor is a far superior athlete than DA- except in one respect. Anderson has a cannon of an arm that Pryor (or just about anyone short of John Elway) can't match. Pryor can run a reported 4.3, Anderson is a freaking statue in the pocket.
That said, athleticism will only get you so far in the NFL- especially at qb. Pyror's looked OK- not great @ OSU playing against generally inferior competition. I watch a ton of Buckeye ball, and I can honestly say I've never said to myself, "wow, Pryor's so freaking great, wouldn't it be super special if the Browns could land him somehow?" The last OSU qb who had that legit tag in my mind was Art Schlister. Pryor won't have all day to survey the field in the NFL waiting for someone to break open, there's a ton of LBs there nearly as fast as he is ready & willing to bust him up if he takes off when protection breaks down (I've yet to see Pryor absorb a true NFL kill-shot), and to my mind the biggest negative, he really doesn't have the quickest release I've ever seen- in fact it's mighty slow.
There were alot of times where I thought "This guy is special" when I watched him play. It normally only happened when he threw the long ball or was scrambling/running going out for a pass though. Pryor actually has decent long ball accuracy. Look at his TD pass to #8 (brain fart can't remember his name) in the Sugar Bowl where he litteraly threw it to where only #8 could make the catch even though he was covered very well. Anything under 30 yards though made me hold my breath.
Everytime you watch him run you think he is running so freakin slow but then he is burning CB's down the field. His stride is so long that his 4.3 40 looks like normal people doing a fast jog.
-
He will get whatever money he gets. And he will get it for being a QB, not anything else. Whoever drafts him, wherever they draft him, it will be as a QB, and he will get paid as a QB. He may not be a fit for the Browns WCO, but that does not mean he won't fit in at many places. As far as his accuracy in the short game, that is similar to what some have said about Colt McCoy.
The King of Inaccuracy in the short passing game was one Mr. Derek Anderson. Yet, he remains an NFL QB.
Now, if you compared Pryor to DA, I would say that may be a reasonable analogy. The only question there would be: DA never did learn to correct his problems with the short passing game. Can Pryor do what DA couldn't? Who knows.
Bad analogy Gip. Anderson was a nobody drafted out of Oregon State in the sixth round. I rarely make bets, but I'm betting Pryor will go higher than that in the supplemental draft- especially when you consider after lock #1 overall Andrew Luck the pickings get mighty slim mighty fast. Pryor is a far superior athlete than DA- except in one respect. Anderson has a cannon of an arm that Pryor (or just about anyone short of John Elway) can't match. Pryor can run a reported 4.3, Anderson is a freaking statue in the pocket.
That said, athleticism will only get you so far in the NFL- especially at qb. Pyror's looked OK- not great @ OSU playing against generally inferior competition. I watch a ton of Buckeye ball, and I can honestly say I've never said to myself, "wow, Pryor's so freaking great, wouldn't it be super special if the Browns could land him somehow?" The last OSU qb who had that legit tag in my mind was Art Schlister. Pryor won't have all day to survey the field in the NFL waiting for someone to break open, there's a ton of LBs there nearly as fast as he is ready & willing to bust him up if he takes off when protection breaks down (I've yet to see Pryor absorb a true NFL kill-shot), and to my mind the biggest negative, he really doesn't have the quickest release I've ever seen- in fact it's mighty slow.
Bad analogy Gip.
It really wasn't my analogy. Someone else brought up his belief that Pryor was inaccurate with his short passes. I don't know if I agree with that particularly, but all I said here was that if he is inaccurate in his short passes he would be no different than DA...who HAS struggled there.
Anderson was a nobody drafted out of Oregon State in the sixth round. I rarely make bets, but I'm betting Pryor will go higher than that in the supplemental draft- especially when you consider after lock #1 overall Andrew Luck the pickings get mighty slim mighty fast. Pryor is a far superior athlete than DA- except in one respect. Anderson has a cannon of an arm that Pryor (or just about anyone short of John Elway) can't match. Pryor can run a reported 4.3, Anderson is a freaking statue in the pocket.
That said, athleticism will only get you so far in the NFL- especially at qb. Pyror's looked OK- not great @ OSU playing against generally inferior competition. I watch a ton of Buckeye ball, and I can honestly say I've never said to myself, "wow, Pryor's so freaking great, wouldn't it be super special if the Browns could land him somehow?" The last OSU qb who had that legit tag in my mind was Art Schlister. Pryor won't have all day to survey the field in the NFL waiting for someone to break open, there's a ton of LBs there nearly as fast as he is ready & willing to bust him up if he takes off when protection breaks down (I've yet to see Pryor absorb a true NFL kill-shot), and to my mind the biggest negative, he really doesn't have the quickest release I've ever seen- in fact it's mighty slow.
I think, however that you can say what you just said about every single rookie QB out there. Pryor certainly didn't play against any more inferior competition than any other rookie QB. As for that "slow release" I don't see that it is any slower than Cam Newton's or Tim Tebow's. And the thing about Pryor is that he has such a smooth style sometimes it seems slow when it isn't. It seems like he runs slow, until you realize that he just outraced all the other teams so called fast defensive backs to the end zone.
I agree that he should be placed in a situation where he can sit and learn and develop and improve some of those techniques that should apply to the pro game.
And I am not saying that he is by any means a sure thing in the pros, but I don't believe he is any less a sure thing that any of the QBs drafted this year.
Next year, with Andrew Luck...now that is a guy pro scouts consider a sure thing. The most sure thing since probably Peyton Manning, or even John Elway.
For some reason, Stanford seems to produce a top quality QB every dozen years or so. Plunkett, then Elway, now Luck.
-
@king-ghoolie-lives said:
Pryor isn't going anywhere in the NFL. WIthin 4 years he will be on skid row with an arrest record as long as Herman Munsters Schwantz.
This guy blows. IN every manner of thinking. He blows.
Ghoolie, you just can't keep that highway rest stop rendezvous you had with Kordell Stewart out of your head. Every time you see an athletic black QB it brings up memories for you.

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login