Skip to content

The Historic Camp Colt

The Browns Board
11 5 950
  • I was on vacation this past week and I went to the site of Camp Colt....the historic Camp Colt that is. Not the one being put on by Colt McCoy in Texas for Browns players.

    The historic Camp Colt was a WWI training camp set up by the U.S. Military and it was located right on the site of the Gettysburg Battlefield, particularly, on the site of Pickett's Charge. The WWI barracks were set up where the Confederates had their staging area for the battle of Gettysburg. The commander of Camp Colt?: Colonel Dwight D. Eisenhower. They even used to use the Round Tops (big and Little) which some of the major action of the Civil War battle was fought as an artillery range. Eisenhower ended up liking his time at Camp Colt so much that after he was the commander of all Allied troops in WWII, he and his wife ended up going back to Gettysburg and buying a 186 acre farm right over part of the grounds that constituted Camp Colt. Today, the Eisenhower farm (and part of Camp Colt) is the Eisenhower National Historic site.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Colt,_Pennsylvania

    Photo49354.jpg

  • Sounds like a cool trip.

    I like doing stuff like that.

  • All I can say is, I'm jealous. Sounds like a great time.

  • Sounds like a cool trip.

    I like doing stuff like that.

    @ballpeen said:

    Sounds like a cool trip.

    I like doing stuff like that.

    I was in the Philly area where my nephew was getting married on July 2 and we decided to

    see some of the sights and sounds of the area. I saw the Liberty Bell and toured Independence Hall on the 4th of July. On the way back we did the Eisenhower/Gettysburg tour.

    At some point Russ, I will want to get down to see the Chattanooga/Chickamauga battle site. It may even be as soon as this fall. If and when I do I will have to look you up to have a bite and maybe a cold one.

    I have actually been more into the history of the Revolutionary War than the Civil War. I have been to nearly all the major Revolutionary War sites like Lexington/Concord, Saratoga, Yorktown, Cowpens, Guilford Courthouse, Kings Mountain. I am starting to visit more Civil War sites...and there are a lot more Civil War sites to see.

  • Kings Mountain is pretty cool. A very important victory when we weren't winning may battles in the southern campaign or up in New England.

    Mostly made up by Overmountain Men...a hearty bunch mostly from what is now Tennessee, they had no problem scaling the loyalists position on Kings Mt. They also had their heavy back woods guns that gave them a major advantage.....not to mention they were good at hiding behind trees and shooting on the run.

  • Sounds awesome... We were in Gettysburg in June... Hired a GREAT guide at the Visitors Center who drove our car around the park for four hours and put everything in perspective... Best $80 I ever spent... Can't tell you how many people I've told about this trip who all say, "I've always wanted to go to Gettysburg but have never had a chance.." All I can say is JUST GO!

  • Sounds awesome... We were in Gettysburg in June... Hired a GREAT guide at the Visitors Center who drove our car around the park for four hours and put everything in perspective... Best $80 I ever spent... Can't tell you how many people I've told about this trip who all say, "I've always wanted to go to Gettysburg but have never had a chance.." All I can say is JUST GO!

    @alporcini said:

    Sounds awesome... We were in Gettysburg in June... Hired a GREAT guide at the Visitors Center who drove our car around the park for four hours and put everything in perspective... Best $80 I ever spent... Can't tell you how many people I've told about this trip who all say, "I've always wanted to go to Gettysburg but have never had a chance.." All I can say is JUST GO!

    We did the self guided tour because we had spent a good part of the day at Eisenhower. So we just hit the highlights like Little Round Top where you get a great overview of the battlefield; and, where Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address in the National Cemetery.

    Did your tour guide mention Camp Colt?

  • Great stuff Gipper. One of my favorite bands (Iced Earth--American power metal) wrote a trilogy based on the Battle of Gettysburg on Disc Two of their album The Glorious Burden, which is an album full of famous battle depictions.

    It is fairly heavy, but has orchestra accompaniment and probably won't annoy you too much. BTW, the lead singer is Tim "Ripper" Owens from right here in Akron, former lead singer for Judas Priest, Akron's Winters Bane and Yngwie Malmsteen.

    Gettysburg (1863) - The Devil To Pay-Part 1

    I can only post one at a time under this new board format, so I will put the others below.

  • Gettysburg (1863) - Hold At All Costs-Part 2

  • Gettysburg (1863) - High Water Mark-Part 3

  • For info on the current Camp Colt see this blurb that I found:

    "First-round pick Phil Taylor paid his own way to get to the Browns' full-squad minicamp that began on Monday.

    It was the first "Camp Colt" workout to include Browns defensive players. Taylor is sitting out on-field drills on the advice of his agent -- he hasn't signed his rookie deal yet -- but showed admirable dedication by personally bucking up to attend team meetings, dinners, and film sessions. "That shows a real commitment on his part and we really appreciate it," said McCoy"