Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Ferentz/Greene - So far, so good today

Ferentz/Greene - So far, so good today

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
11 Posts 9 Posters 1.6k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • mz. ?
    • Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Iowa looking good vs. Spurrier and the Cocks today in the Outback Bowl.

    I'm only watching this shit game because this may be our future coach/RB...

    Y 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • ? Guest

      Iowa looking good vs. Spurrier and the Cocks today in the Outback Bowl.

      I'm only watching this shit game because this may be our future coach/RB...

      YtownBrownsBacker Y
      • 2k Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
      #2

      mz. said:

      Iowa looking good vs. Spurrier and the Cocks today in the Outback Bowl.

      I'm only watching this shit game because this may be our future coach/RB...

      I'm watching him run a 4-3 and realize that is all he has ever run. Also, I'm thinking what are his contacts in the NFL for coordinators?

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • nickers nickersN Conversation Starter Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
        • 14k Posts
        • 5k Reputation
        nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Well the only way I want Ferentz is A. I want Shonn Greene comming with him B. we install a 4-3 Defense and start kickin ppls asses C. we run a west coast type run oriented ofense but we still need to be able to pass to win games...after 4 years of Krispy Kremes...Im up for anything...

        Nickers...."There are no old running QB's in the NFL "~Sam Rutigliano~
        GeechG Y 2 Replies Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • nickersN nickers

          Well the only way I want Ferentz is A. I want Shonn Greene comming with him B. we install a 4-3 Defense and start kickin ppls asses C. we run a west coast type run oriented ofense but we still need to be able to pass to win games...after 4 years of Krispy Kremes...Im up for anything...

          Geech GeechG One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 264 Posts
          • 0 Reputation
          GeechG Geech wrote on last edited by Geech
          #4

          @nickers said:

          Well the only way I want Ferentz is A. I want Shonn Greene comming with him B. we install a 4-3 Defense and start kickin ppls asses C. we run a west coast type run oriented ofense but we still need to be able to pass to win games...after 4 years of Krispy Kremes...Im up for anything...

          Nickers, my good fellow Croatian-Italian-American friend. There's just something wrong with the phrase "west coast type run oriented offense."

          Perhaps you could elaborate a little? A West Coast Offense is very pass oriented. Instead of 3 yards and a cloud of dust, it's 3 yards on a dink and dunk, with stellar athletes capable of turning those 3 yards into much, much more.

          I think we've seen enough dink and dunk on 3rd and 9. Stallowrth is a fine open field WR. I think he'd fit nicely in a pure West Coast Offense. Bring in the Mooch! 🙄

          -Al

          EDIT: Shonn Greene is looking good today. Solid, steady play. 31-0 Iowa at the moment. The floodgates are opening.

          V 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • Chicopee John C
            • 2k Posts
            • 104 Reputation
            C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @shepwrite said:

            I'm wondering if Ferentz (and Pioli's rumored HUGE demands) is part of the sniggling going on between Lerner and Pioli. Lerner said he's "reluctant" to hire a college coach.

            Don't overlook Bill Belichick's input to Pioli during this time.

            Since his debacle in Cleveland, Belichick has made OWNERSHIP STABILITY AND LEADERSHIP huge components of the job selection process.

            In short, he resigned the Jets' HC job after only one day due to his doubts and concerns about the Jets' ownership situation.

            In turn, Belichick lobbied his, then, assistant to stay away from the Jets job for the same reasons.

            Looking at the Browns vs. Chiefs, specifically, Lerner vs. Hunt, I wonder how much weight Pioli will put into OWNERSHIP STABILITY AND LEADERSHIP for these prospective employers.

            I have one fear and that is Pioli considers the KC job to be better than the Browns' job because of the ownership stability over the years.

            Just a thought. Any way, I found the article I posted from The Boston Globe (Boston.com) concerning and am not sure that the Browns have the upper hand in this sweepstakes.

            "God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy."
            rich4eagleR 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • nickersN nickers

              Well the only way I want Ferentz is A. I want Shonn Greene comming with him B. we install a 4-3 Defense and start kickin ppls asses C. we run a west coast type run oriented ofense but we still need to be able to pass to win games...after 4 years of Krispy Kremes...Im up for anything...

              YtownBrownsBacker Y
              • 2k Posts
              • 0 Reputation
              Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @nickers said:

              Well the only way I want Ferentz is A. I want Shonn Greene comming with him B. we install a 4-3 Defense and start kickin ppls asses C. we run a west coast type run oriented ofense but we still need to be able to pass to win games...after 4 years of Krispy Kremes...Im up for anything...

              For people taht say they don't want a coach-in-training, you have a proven HC who has run a program. This isn't a coordinator making a jump to running the whole organization. Most college coaches don't work because they bring in college coordinators with them and want control like they had in college.

              If Pioli has total control of football operations then will it be like Savage naming the assistants and bringing in players that don't fit the system or will Pioli/ferentz be a team making the decisions together.

              Bottom line, I want a coach that is firm with the players, is a leader, commands respect not demands it, has good organizational skills, is flexable and will listen to his coordinators. You know what Mangini brings to the table, everyone else is a crapshoot.

              BTW...........................even if he dosn't come, I still want Greene in the 2nd round.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Silverback S
                • 164 Posts
                • 1 Reputation
                S Silverback wrote on last edited by
                #7

                I spoke with Ferentz last week and he said in no way would he coach in Cleveland. (He is a South Hills of Pittsburgh native, I grew up with him.). He also wants to stay in Iowa City until his kids finish school, 2 more years to go. He did however say if Pioli landed in Kansas City he would consider taking that job as it is close enough to Iowa City that he could make it all work out.....

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • GeechG Geech

                  @nickers said:

                  Well the only way I want Ferentz is A. I want Shonn Greene comming with him B. we install a 4-3 Defense and start kickin ppls asses C. we run a west coast type run oriented ofense but we still need to be able to pass to win games...after 4 years of Krispy Kremes...Im up for anything...

                  Nickers, my good fellow Croatian-Italian-American friend. There's just something wrong with the phrase "west coast type run oriented offense."

                  Perhaps you could elaborate a little? A West Coast Offense is very pass oriented. Instead of 3 yards and a cloud of dust, it's 3 yards on a dink and dunk, with stellar athletes capable of turning those 3 yards into much, much more.

                  I think we've seen enough dink and dunk on 3rd and 9. Stallowrth is a fine open field WR. I think he'd fit nicely in a pure West Coast Offense. Bring in the Mooch! 🙄

                  -Al

                  EDIT: Shonn Greene is looking good today. Solid, steady play. 31-0 Iowa at the moment. The floodgates are opening.

                  Vegasdogg V
                  • 1k Posts
                  • 2 Reputation
                  V Vegasdogg wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @geech said:

                  Perhaps you could elaborate a little? A West Coast Offense is very pass oriented. Instead of 3 yards and a cloud of dust, it's 3 yards on a dink and dunk, with stellar athletes capable of turning those 3 yards into much, much more.

                  Lots and lots of running plays in the WC offense. From different formations and sets, and multiple running plays (counters, iso's, leads, tosses, etc...) called during the games. The quick hits are basically extended handoffs, and then BAM, the big payoff deep off PA or Pump Fake.

                  And to think it started right here in Cleveland with Paul Brown.

                  "I will not insult your intelligence by suggesting you really believe what you just said." William F Buckley
                  nickersN 1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • DawgTracker D
                    • 774 Posts
                    • 1 Reputation
                    D DawgTracker wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    I am not against coordinators at all. I know an NFL coach with four years of head coaching experience. He is also considered a great defensive coach. His name is Romeo Crennel. Is he now a good candidate because he has head coaching experience?

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • C Chicopee John

                      @shepwrite said:

                      I'm wondering if Ferentz (and Pioli's rumored HUGE demands) is part of the sniggling going on between Lerner and Pioli. Lerner said he's "reluctant" to hire a college coach.

                      Don't overlook Bill Belichick's input to Pioli during this time.

                      Since his debacle in Cleveland, Belichick has made OWNERSHIP STABILITY AND LEADERSHIP huge components of the job selection process.

                      In short, he resigned the Jets' HC job after only one day due to his doubts and concerns about the Jets' ownership situation.

                      In turn, Belichick lobbied his, then, assistant to stay away from the Jets job for the same reasons.

                      Looking at the Browns vs. Chiefs, specifically, Lerner vs. Hunt, I wonder how much weight Pioli will put into OWNERSHIP STABILITY AND LEADERSHIP for these prospective employers.

                      I have one fear and that is Pioli considers the KC job to be better than the Browns' job because of the ownership stability over the years.

                      Just a thought. Any way, I found the article I posted from The Boston Globe (Boston.com) concerning and am not sure that the Browns have the upper hand in this sweepstakes.

                      rich4eagle rich4eagleR One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 2k Posts
                      • 39 Reputation
                      rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @chicopee-john said:

                      Don't overlook Bill Belichick's input to Pioli during this time.

                      Since his debacle in Cleveland, Belichick has made OWNERSHIP STABILITY AND LEADERSHIP huge components of the job selection process.

                      In short, he resigned the Jets' HC job after only one day due to his doubts and concerns about the Jets' ownership situation.

                      In turn, Belichick lobbied his, then, assistant to stay away from the Jets job for the same reasons.

                      Looking at the Browns vs. Chiefs, specifically, Lerner vs. Hunt, I wonder how much weight Pioli will put into OWNERSHIP STABILITY AND LEADERSHIP for these prospective employers.

                      I have one fear and that is Pioli considers the KC job to be better than the Browns' job because of the ownership stability over the years.

                      Just a thought. Any way, I found the article I posted from The Boston Globe (Boston.com) concerning and am not sure that the Browns have the upper hand in this sweepstakes.

                      Good analysis John. For the record I am not in favor of Ferentz becoming the coach. Too erratic a record in college spells mediocre in the pros is likely..not enough success for me at Iowa to hire him.

                      Offense Wins.......Franchise QB's are the key.............Defense keeps you in the game.........Go Buckeyes
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • V Vegasdogg

                        @geech said:

                        Perhaps you could elaborate a little? A West Coast Offense is very pass oriented. Instead of 3 yards and a cloud of dust, it's 3 yards on a dink and dunk, with stellar athletes capable of turning those 3 yards into much, much more.

                        Lots and lots of running plays in the WC offense. From different formations and sets, and multiple running plays (counters, iso's, leads, tosses, etc...) called during the games. The quick hits are basically extended handoffs, and then BAM, the big payoff deep off PA or Pump Fake.

                        And to think it started right here in Cleveland with Paul Brown.

                        nickers nickersN Conversation Starter Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
                        • 14k Posts
                        • 5k Reputation
                        nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @vegasdogg said:

                        Lots and lots of running plays in the WC offense. From different formations and sets, and multiple running plays (counters, iso's, leads, tosses, etc...) called during the games. The quick hits are basically extended handoffs, and then BAM, the big payoff deep off PA or Pump Fake.

                        And to think it started right here in Cleveland with Paul Brown.

                        Thanx DD

                        Nickers...."There are no old running QB's in the NFL "~Sam Rutigliano~
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        Reply
                        • Reply as topic
                        Log in to reply
                        • Oldest to Newest
                        • Newest to Oldest
                        • Most Votes


                        Theme
                        • System
                        • Light
                        • Dark
                        The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                        The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                        • First post
                          Last post
                        0
                        • Forums
                        • Recent
                        • Popular
                        • Users
                        • Donate