Taylor Mays On Trade Block
-
Unless you need a little fast lb, lol, forget it. He was overhyped. I believe the old Browns, since they came back, often drafted
based on physical attributes. That doesn't mean all the intangibles can make the jump to the NFL.
It's dumb - he lost his starting job to this guy, for cryin out loud.
Reggie Smith #30 Safety San Francisco 49ers Team Home
NewsTeam ReportBlogsScores & ScheduleStatsRosterDepth ChartTransactionsPhotosHeight: 6-1 Weight: 200
Born: Sep 3, 1986 - Edmond, OK
College: Oklahoma
Draft: 2008 - 3rd round (12th pick) by the San Francisco 49ers
THANK YOU BROWNS, for draftng Ward !!!!!!
*************************************************
From NFL draft scout:
*****************
Post-Draft Outlook: COULD SURPRISE: Safety Taylor Mays -- In watching film of him at USC, the 49ers noticed he typically played 20 yards off the line of scrimmage. The 49ers plan to play him in the box in run support.
A closer look at the 49ers' picks: Round 2/49 -- Taylor Mays, S, 6-3, 230, USC: He's a physically gifted player who toppled out of the first round because teams did not see him make many plays on film. In four seasons as a college starter, Mays recorded just five interceptions, with four of those coming in his first two years. - by The Sports Xchange
Taylor Mays/Southern Cal football Videos
powered by
Draft Scout Taylor Mays News
08/04/11 - S Taylor Mays is available in a trade, with the 49ers alerting the 31 other teams via email, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. The 49ers signed Madieu Williams and still hope to re-sign Dashon Goldson. New coach John Harbaugh, who was hired away from Stanford, is very familiar with the former USC product.
03/13/11 - S Taylor Mays became a starter early in the season but was pulled after being victimized in pass coverage. Mays' change-of-direction and ball skills are dubious and he will be a challenge for the incoming coaching staff.
12/28/10 - S Taylor Mays will see extra playing time this week after being demoted midway through the season. Mays started the team's Week 4 game against Atlanta, but he struggled in deep coverage in subsequent weeks and eventually was replaced by Reggie Smith in the starting lineup.
-
I say at least make an offer. I think playing alongside Ward, Mays could be a good addition. Ward's ability clearly would help him. Now, I don't think anyone will offer a 1st. And I don't think the Niners will even get a 2nd out of him. I think a 3rd is what they will have to accept...at best maybe a 3rd and a 6th. I think he'd be worth that much. Young could move to CB and we'd have one hell of a secondary!
-
I say at least make an offer. I think playing alongside Ward, Mays could be a good addition. Ward's ability clearly would help him. Now, I don't think anyone will offer a 1st. And I don't think the Niners will even get a 2nd out of him. I think a 3rd is what they will have to accept...at best maybe a 3rd and a 6th. I think he'd be worth that much. Young could move to CB and we'd have one hell of a secondary!
I say at least make an offer. I think playing alongside Ward, Mays could be a good addition. Ward's ability clearly would help him. Now, I don't think anyone will offer a 1st. And I don't think the Niners will even get a 2nd out of him. I think a 3rd is what they will have to accept...at best maybe a 3rd and a 6th. I think he'd be worth that much. Young could move to CB and we'd have one hell of a secondary!
NO WAY! A 3rd and a 6th to play next to Ward? That would be a downgrade, I wouldnt give more than a 5th. Neither Ward nor Mays are very good in coverage. They play the same position, STRONG Safety. Neither are a good fit for Free Safety, esp considering Mays' biggest criticism is taking bad angles, bad in coverage, and not known for making big plays (yes he hits hard, but doesnt get interceptions which FS's are supposed to do). Ward and Mays would not make a good safety tandem, a lot of you all are delusional.
And the comment at the top of the page "since when is it the safety's job to cover"... UMM ALWAYS!?! they are the last line of defense, they give help to the corners when they are burned or cover in zone.. a lot of times Ward (or the SS) will come up and provide run support, but their main task is to cover, esp the FS..
-
I say at least make an offer. I think playing alongside Ward, Mays could be a good addition. Ward's ability clearly would help him. Now, I don't think anyone will offer a 1st. And I don't think the Niners will even get a 2nd out of him. I think a 3rd is what they will have to accept...at best maybe a 3rd and a 6th. I think he'd be worth that much. Young could move to CB and we'd have one hell of a secondary!
NO WAY! A 3rd and a 6th to play next to Ward? That would be a downgrade, I wouldnt give more than a 5th. Neither Ward nor Mays are very good in coverage. They play the same position, STRONG Safety. Neither are a good fit for Free Safety, esp considering Mays' biggest criticism is taking bad angles, bad in coverage, and not known for making big plays (yes he hits hard, but doesnt get interceptions which FS's are supposed to do). Ward and Mays would not make a good safety tandem, a lot of you all are delusional.
And the comment at the top of the page "since when is it the safety's job to cover"... UMM ALWAYS!?! they are the last line of defense, they give help to the corners when they are burned or cover in zone.. a lot of times Ward (or the SS) will come up and provide run support, but their main task is to cover, esp the FS..
NO WAY! A 3rd and a 6th to play next to Ward? That would be a downgrade, I wouldnt give more than a 5th. Neither Ward nor Mays are very good in coverage. They play the same position, STRONG Safety. Neither are a good fit for Free Safety, esp considering Mays' biggest criticism is taking bad angles, bad in coverage, and not known for making big plays (yes he hits hard, but doesnt get interceptions which FS's are supposed to do). Ward and Mays would not make a good safety tandem, a lot of you all are delusional.
And the comment at the top of the page "since when is it the safety's job to cover"... UMM ALWAYS!?! they are the last line of defense, they give help to the corners when they are burned or cover in zone.. a lot of times Ward (or the SS) will come up and provide run support, but their main task is to cover, esp the FS..
You're talking like this guy is old and washed up! We're talking about a guy in his second year and who many people out there wanted the Browns to take in the first round last year! I am glad that we didn't, but I really think this kid can be coached and can be an impact player...no, not a superstar, but definitely and impact guy. There's talk of a 1st or 2nd rounder for the guy...I agree, that would be entirely too much. But offering up a 3rd or possible a 3rd and a late pick would not be a bad deal. How many 6th rounders become stars...or even starters!?
-
Mays is on the block because he can't cover and they might just cut him. And some of you fools think they want a 1st rounder for him? Please. He'll be better off moving to LB.
-
once again. this guy blows..
I dont understand, im all for adding good players. But trading for this guy would be a waste!!
I would rather bring back Felix Wright
once again. this guy blows..
I dont understand, im all for adding good players. But trading for this guy would be a waste!!
I would rather bring back Felix Wright
I wouldn't mind having Frank Minnifield and Hanford Dixon either, if we are going to bring back former Browns DBs from the 80s.
(or did you mean Eric Wright?)
-
Taylor Mays is terrible im glad we took Ward over him,theres no wonder San Fran is trying to trade him he cant cover for shit.
The highest id even consider would be a 4th and people are talking about a 1st are you serious??? He couldnt even crack the lineup for the Niners and you name there starting safteys.
I wasn't aware it was the safety's job to cover.
I wasn't aware it was the safety's job to cover.
This was a joke right????
-
I was reading an article earlier and it talked about TJ Ward and some rookie Safety that we got who is showing promise. I think his name is Buster Skrine. Before signing someone we should give Skrine a chance.
-
-
Taylor Mays is maybe the most overrated player to come out of college in recent memory. He is beyond horrible and without a position, but people will think the kid can play until he is eventually out of the league.
No instincts, only straight line speed, paralyzed stiff hips, not smart, but otherwise he has potential. Even if he moved to some sort of hybrid OLB/monster back position he would still have to be able to play football, something he can't do.
It's not his junior year at USC anymore when the myth turned into legend about his physical attributes. Absolute horrible football player. The most I would do is give him a look as a non-guarantee FA just to see what he has got. Maybe some coaching would help, but probably not.
Giving up a first for him would ensure one thing: we will be right back to the beginning of expansion era maneuvers again by clueless Dwight Clark types in the FO. No thanks
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
