Skip to content

REY WHO!

The Browns Board
35 16 2.9k
  • PSU is a hell of alot better than the other teams in the pac-10, thats my point. pac--10 is like playing highschool teams USC is too good to be in there

  • I've seen USC play 3 games this year and REY hasn't shown me anything. Mathews and Cushing have looked better. But, the guy who continues to impress me is Taylor Mays. They play him in center field most of the time, but when I've seen him near the line, he hits like a truck. Looks like a LB, hits like a LB and is the fastest man on the team with a sub 4.3 in the 40.

    I want to see him play more SS but they use him like a FS.

    Teams sure don't throw much deep over the middle with him out there.

  • PSU is a hell of alot better than the other teams in the pac-10, thats my point. pac--10 is like playing highschool teams USC is too good to be in there

    @alendor said:

    PSU is a hell of alot better than the other teams in the pac-10, thats my point. pac--10 is like playing highschool teams USC is too good to be in there

    Skip Bayless would be embarrassed of that statement.

  • PSU is a hell of alot better than the other teams in the pac-10, thats my point. pac--10 is like playing highschool teams USC is too good to be in there

    @alendor said:

    PSU is a hell of alot better than the other teams in the pac-10, thats my point. pac--10 is like playing highschool teams USC is too good to be in there

    So then why is the PAC 10 5 - 0 in bowl games, beating 4 ranked teams.

  • I've seen USC play 3 games this year and REY hasn't shown me anything. Mathews and Cushing have looked better. But, the guy who continues to impress me is Taylor Mays. They play him in center field most of the time, but when I've seen him near the line, he hits like a truck. Looks like a LB, hits like a LB and is the fastest man on the team with a sub 4.3 in the 40.

    I want to see him play more SS but they use him like a FS.

    Teams sure don't throw much deep over the middle with him out there.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    I've seen USC play 3 games this year and REY hasn't shown me anything. Mathews and Cushing have looked better. But, the guy who continues to impress me is Taylor Mays. They play him in center field most of the time, but when I've seen him near the line, he hits like a truck. Looks like a LB, hits like a LB and is the fastest man on the team with a sub 4.3 in the 40.

    I want to see him play more SS but they use him like a FS.

    Teams sure don't throw much deep over the middle with him out there.

    That hit he just made was absolutely sick.

  • A safety who hits and covers like that, who runs a 4.28?

    We could use that.

  • A safety who hits and covers like that, who runs a 4.28?

    We could use that.

    mz. said:

    A safety who hits and covers like that, who runs a 4.28?

    We could use that.

    That was my thought too - that guy is going to make people wish they didn't go over the middle. I think I like him better than Curry. He seems to have a Dawkins like presence.

    And Rey didn't seem to impressive from what little I saw.

    Is Mays a #5 a reach when we don't really NEED a safety? Any chance he could be turned into a LB - he's close to the weight and will add more bulk once he is in the pros.

  • Btw, I don't think Maualuga's a bad player, but he is maddeningly inconsistent. How a guy with those physical attributes can disappear like he did in the Oregon State game is beyond me.

    A tough disciplinarian could turn him into a great pro, but that's less likely if you give him top 5 money. Maualuga's a guy who'll need to stay hungry to have success in the NFL. If we take him early in Round 1, that may not happen.

  • mz. said:

    A safety who hits and covers like that, who runs a 4.28?

    We could use that.

    That was my thought too - that guy is going to make people wish they didn't go over the middle. I think I like him better than Curry. He seems to have a Dawkins like presence.

    And Rey didn't seem to impressive from what little I saw.

    Is Mays a #5 a reach when we don't really NEED a safety? Any chance he could be turned into a LB - he's close to the weight and will add more bulk once he is in the pros.

    @lemosley01 said:

    Is Mays a #5 a reach when we don't really NEED a safety?

    We could always let Jones walk and sign a LB (Crowder? Suggs????) with those $$$. If that happened, safety would be a HUGE need and LB less so.

    @lemosley01 said:

    Any chance he could be turned into a LB - he's close to the weight and will add more bulk once he is in the pros.

    Maybe, but I wouldn't waste that speed. Imagine this guy patrolling CF for us. Wow.

    As you can tell, I was very impressed with Mays today.

  • There was another LB that was pretty good, Kaluka Maiava #43, he was pretty solid wonder where he projects out in the draft

    http://usc.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=52512

  • @lemosley01 said:

    Is Mays a #5 a reach when we don't really NEED a safety?

    We could always let Jones walk and sign a LB (Crowder? Suggs????) with those $$$. If that happened, safety would be a HUGE need and LB less so.

    @lemosley01 said:

    Any chance he could be turned into a LB - he's close to the weight and will add more bulk once he is in the pros.

    Maybe, but I wouldn't waste that speed. Imagine this guy patrolling CF for us. Wow.

    As you can tell, I was very impressed with Mays today.

    mz. said:

    We could always let Jones walk and sign a LB (Crowder? Suggs????) with those $$$. If that happened, safety would be a HUGE need and LB less so.

    Yeah, it comes down to what's a better combo: Crowder/Mays or Curry/Jones.

    Crowder/Mays probably is the more exciting combination, but it'll also be the more expensive & risky one (Crowder's knee issues are more serious than Jones').

    Curry & Brian Dawkins could be another interesting option.

  • Jones and Crowder seem like injury washes to me, really.

    I think both combos work, and are very reasonable. I think of the four players involved, though, Mays is the by far most intriguing.

  • The question with Mays is whether his low INT numbers are caused by him playing a lot of center field in USC's defense or by him being more of an enforcer than an elite playmaker.

    My guess is that it's mostly the former, but Mays did drop relatively easy INT opportunities in the UCLA & Oregon State games.

    It's something that'll have to be checked out during the draft process.

  • The question with Mays is whether his low INT numbers are caused by him playing a lot of center field in USC's defense or by him being more of an enforcer than an elite playmaker.

    My guess is that it's mostly the former, but Mays did drop relatively easy INT opportunities in the UCLA & Oregon State games.

    It's something that'll have to be checked out during the draft process.

    Aloysius said:

    The question with Mays is whether his low INT numbers are caused by him playing a lot of center field in USC's defense or by him being more of an enforcer than an elite playmaker.

    My guess is that it's mostly the former, but Mays did drop relatively easy INT opportunities in the UCLA & Oregon State games.

    It's something that'll have to be checked out during the draft process.

    Aloysius - I am off the Maluavagina wagon. He showed me NOTHING tonight. Hell, Josh Hull for us is a walk on and a lousy MLB and he had more plays than Maluavagina.

  • don't forget Clay Matthews Jr.... he is all over the QB... what a sweet pick in Round 2 if he's there... and i really like the symmetry....

  • Aloysius said:

    The question with Mays is whether his low INT numbers are caused by him playing a lot of center field in USC's defense or by him being more of an enforcer than an elite playmaker.

    My guess is that it's mostly the former, but Mays did drop relatively easy INT opportunities in the UCLA & Oregon State games.

    It's something that'll have to be checked out during the draft process.

    Aloysius - I am off the Maluavagina wagon. He showed me NOTHING tonight. Hell, Josh Hull for us is a walk on and a lousy MLB and he had more plays than Maluavagina.

    @bigbrownsfan said:

    Aloysius - I am off the Maluavagina wagon. He showed me NOTHING tonight. Hell, Josh Hull for us is a walk on and a lousy MLB and he had more plays than Maluavagina.

    I think Rey lost a lot of supporters tonight. Even the people who were huge fans of his probably no longer have him as their #1 option for our 1st pick.

    Curry/Mays/Crabtree/Jenkins/trade down all may be better options.

  • Mays seems like a Sean Taylor type stud...maybe a reach at #5, but would it be that had to trade down?

    Matthews was everywhere! I saw him in the backfield...10 yards down the field...doesnt he run a legit 4.5?

  • glad to see people coming around on mays. i've watched him all year; the kid's a monster. he might not come out this year, though. he hasn't yet declared and is only a junior.

    he's an incredibly interesting prospect and could be too unique to pass up; the exact kind of person you'd want to draft with the fifth pick.

  • I don't expect Mays to get past the Seahawks...

  • A SS like a Palumalu is a great asset in the 3-4. It's like having another LB to blitz with and also being in the nickle. I think Mays could be that kind of SS in the NFL. I just don't see a safety being taken at #5.

    But, the more I watch these bowl games and the more I see some of these top guys playing against other top talent, I think Laurinaitis will move up the board. OSU had him in coverage most of the first half of the season and his numbers still are better then Maulaluga's numbers. I think JL gets off of blocks and moves faster laterally then RM.