Skip to content

Rivalries

The Browns Board
60 16 3.1k
  • This may be the best thing I've ever read here:

    I mean, after all, the Steelers are the only team in the division that isn't a bastard stepchild of the Browns. The Bengals were only created out of Paul Browns feud with Art Modell, and the Ravens were only created out of Art Modell's feud with his own financial ineptitude.

    Gipper is right the Steelers - Rat rivalry is only because they are both good tight now. When the Rats fade the Browns - Steeler rivalry will be what it once was. Sadly though because of the absence and 10 sub-par years many young Browns fans don't realize the significance of the Clev-Pitt rivalry and front running steeler fans think the rats are their main foe because their lack of an understanding of the rats creation in '96. Rat fans also believe this because well, they're rat fans.

    On a personal note I despise the rats more than any professional franchise in existence. I like that nazi soccer team in "Victory" more than I like the rats. I really can't stand any of their fans either. When I see a rats jersey or a sticker on a car it makes me angry.

    I shouldn't say this but I kept a kid off of a youth sports team I was running because the dad had rat stickers all over his truck and names and numbers of his favs on the back window. Those rat fans cried that there team was stolen from them and they were right they got the shaft as far as the colt go but then they did the same thing to the browns and didn't think twice about it. 2 wrongs don't make a right, what goes around comes around, NAMASTE!

    I have more but I'll save it for rats week. Browns - Steelers thats the rivalry!

  • The Browns v. Steelers rivalry is currently festering beneath the surface but in due time it will erupt again as all true rivalries do.

  • Chuck lorre and charlie sheen is a big rivalry

  • I wish is was the rivalry it once was, like when I was a baby, but it's not the one I know.

    You talk about the current Cleveland generation that doesn't remember the glory days of the rivalry but you also have a whole generation in Pittsburgh that grew up with the Ravens as the main rival.

    For all those born in the mid to late 80's the biggest AFC North rivalry to them is Steelers-Ravens.

  • Yeah.. the thing is and I've always said it. I don't even understand steelers fans on thiis board. Not saying it is right or wrong. But we have been poop since our return.

    Its hard to hate a team u beat up on. I hope we can get back to a rivalry soon. I hate the steelers almost more then the redsox.

  • Yeah.. the thing is and I've always said it. I don't even understand steelers fans on thiis board. Not saying it is right or wrong. But we have been poop since our return.

    Its hard to hate a team u beat up on. I hope we can get back to a rivalry soon. I hate the steelers almost more then the redsox.

    @wrrebel said:

    Yeah.. the thing is and I've always said it. I don't even understand steelers fans on thiis board. Not saying it is right or wrong. But we have been poop since our return.

    Its hard to hate a team u beat up on. I hope we can get back to a rivalry soon. I hate the steelers almost more then the redsox.

    Not hard for me because I hate Cleveland fans more than I hate the Cleveland Browns. Neither of which being the reason for my presence on this board. I personally view the Ravens and the Browns on equal ground. I hate both fan bases, there is a bunch of history with the Browns and the knock down drag out games are currently with the Ravens. They're both "rivalries" in their own right. However for me it's still the Browns to a point, mostly because of all my college friendships that I'll have for a lifetime. Lots and lots of sh.it talking lol.

  • @wrrebel said:

    Yeah.. the thing is and I've always said it. I don't even understand steelers fans on thiis board. Not saying it is right or wrong. But we have been poop since our return.

    Its hard to hate a team u beat up on. I hope we can get back to a rivalry soon. I hate the steelers almost more then the redsox.

    Not hard for me because I hate Cleveland fans more than I hate the Cleveland Browns. Neither of which being the reason for my presence on this board. I personally view the Ravens and the Browns on equal ground. I hate both fan bases, there is a bunch of history with the Browns and the knock down drag out games are currently with the Ravens. They're both "rivalries" in their own right. However for me it's still the Browns to a point, mostly because of all my college friendships that I'll have for a lifetime. Lots and lots of sh.it talking lol.

    Homotron said:

    Not hard for me because I hate Cleveland fans more than I hate the Cleveland Browns. Neither of which being the reason for my presence on this board. I personally view the Ravens and the Browns on equal ground. I hate both fan bases, there is a bunch of history with the Browns and the knock down drag out games are currently with the Ravens. They're both "rivalries" in their own right. However for me it's still the Browns to a point, mostly because of all my college friendships that I'll have for a lifetime. Lots and lots of sh.it talking lol.

    That's funny because for some reason you've posted on a Browns forum with Browns fans one thousand six hundred seventy seven times.

  • Yeah.. the thing is and I've always said it. I don't even understand steelers fans on thiis board. Not saying it is right or wrong. But we have been poop since our return.

    Its hard to hate a team u beat up on. I hope we can get back to a rivalry soon. I hate the steelers almost more then the redsox.

    @wrrebel said:

    Its hard to hate a team u beat up on. I hope we can get back to a rivalry soon. I hate the steelers almost more then the redsox.

    Damn, to each his own, but when I talk "hate," it begins with 1) the dead Osama Bin Laden 2) Governor Kasich 3) Steelers

  • Yeah.. the thing is and I've always said it. I don't even understand steelers fans on thiis board. Not saying it is right or wrong. But we have been poop since our return.

    Its hard to hate a team u beat up on. I hope we can get back to a rivalry soon. I hate the steelers almost more then the redsox.

    @wrrebel said:

    Yeah.. the thing is and I've always said it. I don't even understand steelers fans on thiis board. Not saying it is right or wrong. But we have been poop since our return.

    Its hard to hate a team u beat up on. I hope we can get back to a rivalry soon. I hate the steelers almost more then the redsox.

    AHH. The proof in the pudding. If the Browns-Steelers rivalry is supposed to be so limp as some think, Then why are we infested with trash talking Steeler trolls? Because they know the worth of this rivalry.

    Why are we not infested with trash talking Raven or Bengal trolls.

    I am not a troll, so I don't know what goes on on Ravens boards or Steeler boards, but I will wager a chicken dinner that it is nothing to what goes on here between Browns and Steeler fans.

    I would wager that they don't go onto the Ravens board and get enfiladed like they do here. Whether or not the Browns team is up to taking the rivalry back to prominence, Browns fans certainly are.

  • @wrrebel said:

    Yeah.. the thing is and I've always said it. I don't even understand steelers fans on thiis board. Not saying it is right or wrong. But we have been poop since our return.

    Its hard to hate a team u beat up on. I hope we can get back to a rivalry soon. I hate the steelers almost more then the redsox.

    Not hard for me because I hate Cleveland fans more than I hate the Cleveland Browns. Neither of which being the reason for my presence on this board. I personally view the Ravens and the Browns on equal ground. I hate both fan bases, there is a bunch of history with the Browns and the knock down drag out games are currently with the Ravens. They're both "rivalries" in their own right. However for me it's still the Browns to a point, mostly because of all my college friendships that I'll have for a lifetime. Lots and lots of sh.it talking lol.

    Homotron said:

    Not hard for me because I hate Cleveland fans more than I hate the Cleveland Browns. Neither of which being the reason for my presence on this board. I personally view the Ravens and the Browns on equal ground. I hate both fan bases, there is a bunch of history with the Browns and the knock down drag out games are currently with the Ravens. They're both "rivalries" in their own right. However for me it's still the Browns to a point, mostly because of all my college friendships that I'll have for a lifetime. Lots and lots of sh.it talking lol.

    Right Homotron. I mean, you can't go nowhere and get bitch slapped the way you can come here and get bitch slapped. Fair to say? (all in good fun, of course)

    I remember on the AOL board where many of the regulars here were then and right after "the move" and then after their SB win we had a ton of Ravens fans (or as I called them "Crow-Mags" because they were actually a subspecies of human) come onto the Browns board with their little cockle-doodle-doos about "their" team after they won that Super Bowl. But, lo and behold that petered out pretty quickly because those fans of the Ratbirds were too pussified to take the shit we handed out to them...EVEN THOUGH is was they who had won a Super Bowl and had the winning records and had the upper hand as far as their team's on field play. They scattered away from here like ratbirds in a cornfield at the sight of a scarecrow or the sound of a shotgun.

  • Zombo said:

    The Steelers are our main rival, every year, regardless of who is up and who is down.

    In typical bandwagon fashion, the Steelers have adopted the Ravens as their main rival because they don't understand tradition.

    If the Steelers were down and we fought the Bengals and Ravens for the division title every year ... the Steelers would still be our biggest rival and the game we marked our calanders for every year. That's the difference between the two franchises ... We "get it", we understand the history and tradition of the league ... they just wanna wave their gay yellow towels, it doesn't matter who their "rival" is and it doesn't even matter if their quarterback is raping his way across America. They are just black and yellow sheep riding in the back of a big gay bandwagon.

    Zombo

    We don't "get it"?

    When we go to games at Heinz Field our main focus is loving OUR team, the satisfaction of beating whatever rival comes second.

    I have a feeling it's the other way around in Cleveland.

  • Zombo said:

    The Steelers are our main rival, every year, regardless of who is up and who is down.

    In typical bandwagon fashion, the Steelers have adopted the Ravens as their main rival because they don't understand tradition.

    If the Steelers were down and we fought the Bengals and Ravens for the division title every year ... the Steelers would still be our biggest rival and the game we marked our calanders for every year. That's the difference between the two franchises ... We "get it", we understand the history and tradition of the league ... they just wanna wave their gay yellow towels, it doesn't matter who their "rival" is and it doesn't even matter if their quarterback is raping his way across America. They are just black and yellow sheep riding in the back of a big gay bandwagon.

    Zombo

    I don't know Zombo. I think that a lot of the Steeler fans do "get it" and know that the Browns are their biggest traditional rival.

    I understand the necessity of them having to focus somewhat recently on the Ravens But that is simply because it has been them and the Ravens who have been the good teams. Here are the AFC North records in the last 10 years since 2001 when the 4 team set up began:

    2001

    Steelers 13-3

    Ravens 10-6

    Browns 7-9

    Bengals 6-10

    2002

    Steelers 10-5-1

    Browns 9-7

    Ravens 7-9

    Bengals 2-14

    2003

    Ravens 10-6

    Bengals 8-8

    Steelers 6-10

    Browns 5-11

    2004

    Steelers 15-1

    Ravens 9-7

    Bengals 8-8

    Browns 4-12

    2005

    Bengals 11-5* won division

    Steelers 11-5

    Ravens 6-10

    Browns 6-10

    2006

    Ravens 13-3

    Steelers 8-8

    Bengals 8-8

    Browns 4-12

    2007

    Steelers 10-6 *

    Browns 10-6#

    Bengals 7-9

    Ravens 5-11

    *won division

    #failed to make playoffs

    2008

    Steelers 12-4

    Ravens 11-5

    Bengals 4-11-1

    Browns 4-12

    2009

    Bengals 10-6

    Ravens 9-7

    Steelers 9-7

    Browns 5-11

    2010

    Steelers 12-4

    Ravens 12-4

    Browns 5-11

    Bengals 4-12

    In this stretch the Steelers have won 6 Division titles and made the playoff one other time as a wildcard.

    The Ravens have won 2 division titles and had 3 wildcard slots.

    Oddly, the Bengals have won as many division titles as the Ravens...2..but have made no wildcard appearances. And the Browns have had just the one WC appearance in 2002, though the best year they have had since '99 (10-6 in 2007) failed to net them a playoff appearance.

    Five times in the 10 years the combination of the Steelers and Ravens have finished 1-2 in the division.

    Three times the combination of the Ravens and Bengals finished 1-2 in the division.

    Twice the combination of the Steelers and Browns have finished 1-2 in the division.

    Only once has the combination of the Steelers and Bengals finished 1-2 in the division.

    There has never been a Ravens/Browns 1-2 finish.

    While the Bengals have made all of 2 playoff appearances during these 10 years, and the Browns only one; the Steelers/Ravens combination has made 12 total playoff appearances including even meeting each other 3 times in this period including both of the last 2 years.

    My point being that the Steelers/Ravens rivalry is at this point a matter of two teams going head to head.

    If any of the other combinations of AFC meeting had this many tete a tetes, those too would be considered the preeminent rivalry.

  • I start a new thread on this subject because I think it warrants it. Here is my comment in reaction to a statement by Ghoolie:

    Still, let me get your honest opinion on this: Ghoolie claims that "it is the Ravens-Steelers rivalry that is the biggest in the AFC North and there can be no denying it".

    Do you agree with him? I do not.

    I claim that the Ravens-Steeler rivalry is simply a rivalry based on two currently consistently good teams going up against one another for division supremacy, and that it has nothing to do with the innate rivalry between the two teams and two cities.

    It is like the Colts-Patriots rivalry. That is only a rivalry because those two teams happen to be good right now with each team having a superior QB. But it is not an inherent natural rivalry. It is also like the Steelers/Raiders rivalry of the 70s. That was only a rivalry because both teams played "rockem-sockem" football and each was vying for supremacy in the AFC.

    To my view, Baltimore's true natural rivalries should be with the teams in the east like Washington and Philadelphia, or even NYC. Certainly not Pittsburgh. Actually, they would have a more natural rivalry with the Browns because of the circumstances of their creation.

    I say that the best natural rivalry in the AFC North...and in all the NFL is still Pittsburgh/Cleveland. It is just the lack of the Browns competitiveness lately in that rivalry that has dampened it a bit. What do you all think?

    I mean, after all, the Steelers are the only team in the division that isn't a bastard stepchild of the Browns. The Bengals were only created out of Paul Browns feud with Art Modell, and the Ravens were only created out of Art Modell's feud with his own financial ineptitude. The Browns may have a "natural rivalry" with the Bengals because of the instate thing, but that rivalry has never been what the Browns-Steeler rivalry has been.

    Yea, sure, Steeler fans hate the Ravens right now because they are your current stiffest competition....but what happens when the Browns right their ship?

    @the-gipper said:

    I start a new thread on this subject because I think it warrants it. Here is my comment in reaction to a statement by Ghoolie:

    Still, let me get your honest opinion on this: Ghoolie claims that "it is the Ravens-Steelers rivalry that is the biggest in the AFC North and there can be no denying it".

    Do you agree with him? I do not.

    I claim that the Ravens-Steeler rivalry is simply a rivalry based on two currently consistently good teams going up against one another for division supremacy, and that it has nothing to do with the innate rivalry between the two teams and two cities.

    It is like the Colts-Patriots rivalry. That is only a rivalry because those two teams happen to be good right now with each team having a superior QB. But it is not an inherent natural rivalry. It is also like the Steelers/Raiders rivalry of the 70s. That was only a rivalry because both teams played "rockem-sockem" football and each was vying for supremacy in the AFC.

    To my view, Baltimore's true natural rivalries should be with the teams in the east like Washington and Philadelphia, or even NYC. Certainly not Pittsburgh. Actually, they would have a more natural rivalry with the Browns because of the circumstances of their creation.

    I say that the best natural rivalry in the AFC North...and in all the NFL is still Pittsburgh/Cleveland. It is just the lack of the Browns competitiveness lately in that rivalry that has dampened it a bit. What do you all think?

    I mean, after all, the Steelers are the only team in the division that isn't a bastard stepchild of the Browns. The Bengals were only created out of Paul Browns feud with Art Modell, and the Ravens were only created out of Art Modell's feud with his own financial ineptitude. The Browns may have a "natural rivalry" with the Bengals because of the instate thing, but that rivalry has never been what the Browns-Steeler rivalry has been.

    Yea, sure, Steeler fans hate the Ravens right now because they are your current stiffest competition....but what happens when the Browns right their ship?

    Good observations... My MAIN Rival is Cleveland (as a fan) Sorry .. If we lose to Baltimore I get over it. Lose to Cleveland it Stings. Then again I am a LIFELONG (pushing 5 decades) Steeler fan. and Gipper ~I mean, after all, the Steelers are the only team in the division that isn't a bastard stepchild of the Browns.~ thats a Great Line dude !

  • Zombo said:

    The Steelers are our main rival, every year, regardless of who is up and who is down.

    In typical bandwagon fashion, the Steelers have adopted the Ravens as their main rival because they don't understand tradition.

    If the Steelers were down and we fought the Bengals and Ravens for the division title every year ... the Steelers would still be our biggest rival and the game we marked our calanders for every year. That's the difference between the two franchises ... We "get it", we understand the history and tradition of the league ... they just wanna wave their gay yellow towels, it doesn't matter who their "rival" is and it doesn't even matter if their quarterback is raping his way across America. They are just black and yellow sheep riding in the back of a big gay bandwagon.

    Zombo

    We don't "get it"?

    When we go to games at Heinz Field our main focus is loving OUR team, the satisfaction of beating whatever rival comes second.

    I have a feeling it's the other way around in Cleveland.

    Go said:

    We don't "get it"?

    When we go to games at Heinz Field our main focus is loving OUR team, the satisfaction of beating whatever rival comes second.

    I have a feeling it's the other way around in Cleveland.

    Of course it is foolish of you to think that. What we do is to support our team, but any victory over our closest rivals makes those wins all the sweeter. Perhaps that is what you and YOUR ilk have lost site of because you take too much for granted.

    For instance, back in the 2009 season the sorry Browns defeated the Steelers. It was a good win, but it was made sweeter by the fact that that victory caused the Steelers to lose out on a playoff birth. Had they beaten the pathetic Browns who were only 1-11 to that date they would have made a wild card birth and possibly a division title. As it was, that loss kept them out of the playoffs... but, apparently the lesson of that got lost on you all.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I start a new thread on this subject because I think it warrants it. Here is my comment in reaction to a statement by Ghoolie:

    Still, let me get your honest opinion on this: Ghoolie claims that "it is the Ravens-Steelers rivalry that is the biggest in the AFC North and there can be no denying it".

    Do you agree with him? I do not.

    I claim that the Ravens-Steeler rivalry is simply a rivalry based on two currently consistently good teams going up against one another for division supremacy, and that it has nothing to do with the innate rivalry between the two teams and two cities.

    It is like the Colts-Patriots rivalry. That is only a rivalry because those two teams happen to be good right now with each team having a superior QB. But it is not an inherent natural rivalry. It is also like the Steelers/Raiders rivalry of the 70s. That was only a rivalry because both teams played "rockem-sockem" football and each was vying for supremacy in the AFC.

    To my view, Baltimore's true natural rivalries should be with the teams in the east like Washington and Philadelphia, or even NYC. Certainly not Pittsburgh. Actually, they would have a more natural rivalry with the Browns because of the circumstances of their creation.

    I say that the best natural rivalry in the AFC North...and in all the NFL is still Pittsburgh/Cleveland. It is just the lack of the Browns competitiveness lately in that rivalry that has dampened it a bit. What do you all think?

    I mean, after all, the Steelers are the only team in the division that isn't a bastard stepchild of the Browns. The Bengals were only created out of Paul Browns feud with Art Modell, and the Ravens were only created out of Art Modell's feud with his own financial ineptitude. The Browns may have a "natural rivalry" with the Bengals because of the instate thing, but that rivalry has never been what the Browns-Steeler rivalry has been.

    Yea, sure, Steeler fans hate the Ravens right now because they are your current stiffest competition....but what happens when the Browns right their ship?

    Good observations... My MAIN Rival is Cleveland (as a fan) Sorry .. If we lose to Baltimore I get over it. Lose to Cleveland it Stings. Then again I am a LIFELONG (pushing 5 decades) Steeler fan. and Gipper ~I mean, after all, the Steelers are the only team in the division that isn't a bastard stepchild of the Browns.~ thats a Great Line dude !

    @bunsofsteel08 said:

    Good observations... My MAIN Rival is Cleveland (as a fan) Sorry .. If we lose to Baltimore I get over it. Lose to Cleveland it Stings. Then again I am a LIFELONG (pushing 5 decades) Steeler fan. and Gipper ~I mean, after all, the Steelers are the only team in the division that isn't a bastard stepchild of the Browns.~ thats a Great Line dude !

    I am glad to hear that you get it.

  • I think, that in order for there to be a rivaly, teams have to have some kind of bragging rights. There are bragging rights in PA and there may be bragging rights in MA. But there is NO bragging rights in OH. Untill the browns can compete on a regular basis, no one in there right mind is gonna put any stock a browns/ steeler rivaly.

  • I think, that in order for there to be a rivaly, teams have to have some kind of bragging rights. There are bragging rights in PA and there may be bragging rights in MA. But there is NO bragging rights in OH. Untill the browns can compete on a regular basis, no one in there right mind is gonna put any stock a browns/ steeler rivaly.

    @tempest25 said:

    I think, that in order for there to be a rivaly, teams have to have some kind of bragging rights. There are bragging rights in PA and there may be bragging rights in MA. But there is NO bragging rights in OH. Untill the browns can compete on a regular basis, no one in there right mind is gonna put any stock a browns/ steeler rivaly.

    Well then clearly you have no idea about the concept of "rivalry".

    I mean, do you think the Ohio State-Wisconsin rivalry is bigger than the Ohio State/Michigan rivalry? By your standards apparently it would have to be. For about the last decade Wisconsin has been a bigger threat to OSU in winning the Big Ten title than Michigan has been. If your only concept of rivalry is "who competes for the title" then the truth of it is there would be absolutely NO rivalries in sports at all.....just division races.

  • I can say I want the Steelers to beat the Browns, always. I'm still a bit upset we haven't avenged our 51-0 loss to open the 1989 season. Sure we blanked you like 3 times since then, but the margain of victory was never quite the same, it needs to be 61-0. However, in terms of rivalry/hatred, Cleveland just isn't up on the list for me. I still feel sorry that you lost your historical franchise to Baltimore, and for some reason I hate that that club in Baltimore more than I could possibly imagine hating your Cleveland team. There's something missing with Baltimore though, I really don't think they have that many fans or maybe it's that their fans just don't seem as passionate about their team as the media would have you believe. If I'm watching a garbage NFL game to pass the time which includes the Browns, I'm more likely to root for Cleveland than against.

    Philadelphia is the city I hate the most, and in particular I hate the Eagles/Flyers. There are times where its more satisfying to me knowing that Philly lost, than that Pittsburgh won.

  • Since 1970 the Steelers are 53-24 against the Browns. That isn't even close to being a rivalry. They met in the playoffs only twice ever and the Steelers won both.

    Honestly most Steelers fans would rank the Ravens and Patriots much bigger rivals right now. Hell, even the Bengals and Titans are bigger rivals.

  • Most steeler fans would also rank http://www.smallpenisclinic.com/ as there favorite website