Rivalries
-
I think, that in order for there to be a rivaly, teams have to have some kind of bragging rights. There are bragging rights in PA and there may be bragging rights in MA. But there is NO bragging rights in OH. Untill the browns can compete on a regular basis, no one in there right mind is gonna put any stock a browns/ steeler rivaly.
-
I think, that in order for there to be a rivaly, teams have to have some kind of bragging rights. There are bragging rights in PA and there may be bragging rights in MA. But there is NO bragging rights in OH. Untill the browns can compete on a regular basis, no one in there right mind is gonna put any stock a browns/ steeler rivaly.
I think, that in order for there to be a rivaly, teams have to have some kind of bragging rights. There are bragging rights in PA and there may be bragging rights in MA. But there is NO bragging rights in OH. Untill the browns can compete on a regular basis, no one in there right mind is gonna put any stock a browns/ steeler rivaly.
Well then clearly you have no idea about the concept of "rivalry".
I mean, do you think the Ohio State-Wisconsin rivalry is bigger than the Ohio State/Michigan rivalry? By your standards apparently it would have to be. For about the last decade Wisconsin has been a bigger threat to OSU in winning the Big Ten title than Michigan has been. If your only concept of rivalry is "who competes for the title" then the truth of it is there would be absolutely NO rivalries in sports at all.....just division races.
-
I can say I want the Steelers to beat the Browns, always. I'm still a bit upset we haven't avenged our 51-0 loss to open the 1989 season. Sure we blanked you like 3 times since then, but the margain of victory was never quite the same, it needs to be 61-0. However, in terms of rivalry/hatred, Cleveland just isn't up on the list for me. I still feel sorry that you lost your historical franchise to Baltimore, and for some reason I hate that that club in Baltimore more than I could possibly imagine hating your Cleveland team. There's something missing with Baltimore though, I really don't think they have that many fans or maybe it's that their fans just don't seem as passionate about their team as the media would have you believe. If I'm watching a garbage NFL game to pass the time which includes the Browns, I'm more likely to root for Cleveland than against.
Philadelphia is the city I hate the most, and in particular I hate the Eagles/Flyers. There are times where its more satisfying to me knowing that Philly lost, than that Pittsburgh won.
-
Since 1970 the Steelers are 53-24 against the Browns. That isn't even close to being a rivalry. They met in the playoffs only twice ever and the Steelers won both.
Honestly most Steelers fans would rank the Ravens and Patriots much bigger rivals right now. Hell, even the Bengals and Titans are bigger rivals.
-
Most steeler fans would also rank http://www.smallpenisclinic.com/ as there favorite website
-
I can say I want the Steelers to beat the Browns, always. I'm still a bit upset we haven't avenged our 51-0 loss to open the 1989 season. Sure we blanked you like 3 times since then, but the margain of victory was never quite the same, it needs to be 61-0. However, in terms of rivalry/hatred, Cleveland just isn't up on the list for me. I still feel sorry that you lost your historical franchise to Baltimore, and for some reason I hate that that club in Baltimore more than I could possibly imagine hating your Cleveland team. There's something missing with Baltimore though, I really don't think they have that many fans or maybe it's that their fans just don't seem as passionate about their team as the media would have you believe. If I'm watching a garbage NFL game to pass the time which includes the Browns, I'm more likely to root for Cleveland than against.
Philadelphia is the city I hate the most, and in particular I hate the Eagles/Flyers. There are times where its more satisfying to me knowing that Philly lost, than that Pittsburgh won.
Endymion said:
I can say I want the Steelers to beat the Browns, always. I'm still a bit upset we haven't avenged our 51-0 loss to open the 1989 season. Sure we blanked you like 3 times since then, but the margain of victory was never quite the same, it needs to be 61-0. However, in terms of rivalry/hatred, Cleveland just isn't up on the list for me. I still feel sorry that you lost your historical franchise to Baltimore, and for some reason I hate that that club in Baltimore more than I could possibly imagine hating your Cleveland team. There's something missing with Baltimore though, I really don't think they have that many fans or maybe it's that their fans just don't seem as passionate about their team as the media would have you believe. If I'm watching a garbage NFL game to pass the time which includes the Browns, I'm more likely to root for Cleveland than against.
Philadelphia is the city I hate the most, and in particular I hate the Eagles/Flyers. There are times where its more satisfying to me knowing that Philly lost, than that Pittsburgh won.
What is missing is the "Rivalry". It is NOT a rivalry. It is just a competition of two currently good teams vying for the same thing. Like I said, it is like the Colts and the Pats. There is no real compassion or emotion, just competition.
In theory I guess perhaps Pittsburgh and Philadelphia would have a rivalry because they are from the same state, and actually, at one time were the same team when they were Phil-Pitt back during WWII, but in reality Pittsbugh and Cleveland is the real rivalry. Philly/Pitt is like Cleveland-Cincinnati, just a boundary rivalry....though it had something extra when it was Modell and Paul Brown each there as owners. But now it is just one end of the state vs. the other.
-
Since 1970 the Steelers are 53-24 against the Browns. That isn't even close to being a rivalry. They met in the playoffs only twice ever and the Steelers won both.
Honestly most Steelers fans would rank the Ravens and Patriots much bigger rivals right now. Hell, even the Bengals and Titans are bigger rivals.
Since 1970 the Steelers are 53-24 against the Browns. That isn't even close to being a rivalry. They met in the playoffs only twice ever and the Steelers won both.
Honestly most Steelers fans would rank the Ravens and Patriots much bigger rivals right now. Hell, even the Bengals and Titans are bigger rivals.
Obviously, YOU don't fricking get it. Patriots are rivals? Why? Just because they are pretty good and because you have to go through them to try to win a title. The same is true with the Ravens. They are just another good team you have to try to go through to get what you want. That is the same bullshit thinking of people back in the 70s who may have claimed that the Raiders were the Steelers biggest rival. Are the Raiders still the biggest rival under that thinking?
And what was the record between the Browns and Steelers before 1970? It was bad enough that it took you 40 years to catch up. Did the fact that it took you 40 years to catch up mean that the Browns/Steelers were not a rivalry when the Browns were so xxxxing far ahead? Did the fact that the Browns were predominant through most of the 80s mean that the Steelers were not the Browns biggest rival? (Oh, gee, wow, the Browns biggest rival is the Denver Broncos? Why? simply because we played them for the AFC title so often. Bull)
Do you think that when Michigan was 13-2-1 against the John Cooper Buckeyes that Ohio State/Michigan was not a rivalry? Do you think that now Jim Tressel went like 10-1 against them that Ohio State/Michigan is not a rivalry. The actual winning and losing is not what makes a rivalry.
Oh, sure, a rivalry is better when the two traditional rival teams are vying for supremacy, like now with the Yankees and Red Sox, both teams on top of things bidding for the championship. But did you think the Yankees/Red Sox was not a rivalry from 1918 to 2004 where the Yankees were winning 26 titles and the Red Sox -0-? No, it was still a big rivalry.
Yes, it is great to have Duke and North Carolina ranked in the Top 5 nationally, but they would still be hellacious rivals if they were sucking hind tit in the ACC.
If the Browns and Steelers were to go 5 years in a row with each team suffering double digit losses it would still be a great rivalry. The convenience of winning wouldn't be an issue.
-
Gipper just give up these people obviously cant read or something,every point you've made is what truly makes a rivalry but i guess people cant see that...Just because a team is good dosent make it a rivialry, i can honestly say id only feel happier if the Browns won the SB than when i felt when the Steelers lost it.And it could have been agasnt Hitler and abunch of Nazis
-
Since 1970 the Steelers are 53-24 against the Browns. That isn't even close to being a rivalry. They met in the playoffs only twice ever and the Steelers won both.
Honestly most Steelers fans would rank the Ravens and Patriots much bigger rivals right now. Hell, even the Bengals and Titans are bigger rivals.
DING DING DING DING............. we have a winner!
Well said, and it is truthful.
Except of course, the guy that made those statements doesn't believe them. He only says them to stir up shit....and to see how big gulper of his BS you are Ghoolie.
How often do you think he climbs aboard the Titans/Bengals/Pats/Ravens trains. Never probably, but he certainly is here.
-
Since 1970 the Steelers are 53-24 against the Browns. That isn't even close to being a rivalry. They met in the playoffs only twice ever and the Steelers won both.
Honestly most Steelers fans would rank the Ravens and Patriots much bigger rivals right now. Hell, even the Bengals and Titans are bigger rivals.
Since 1970 the Steelers are 53-24 against the Browns. That isn't even close to being a rivalry. They met in the playoffs only twice ever and the Steelers won both.
Honestly most Steelers fans would rank the Ravens and Patriots much bigger rivals right now. Hell, even the Bengals and Titans are bigger rivals.
Once again Steeler fans think that football started in 1970.
The Browns-Steelers rivalry is one of the most storied rivalries in the NFL. With 117 meetings and counting, it is the oldest rivalry and the most storied in the American Football Conference (AFC), surpassing any other rivalry in the conference by at least 5 contests.
-
Since 1970 the Steelers are 53-24 against the Browns. That isn't even close to being a rivalry. They met in the playoffs only twice ever and the Steelers won both.
Honestly most Steelers fans would rank the Ravens and Patriots much bigger rivals right now. Hell, even the Bengals and Titans are bigger rivals.
Since 1970 the Steelers are 53-24 against the Browns. That isn't even close to being a rivalry. They met in the playoffs only twice ever and the Steelers won both.
Honestly most Steelers fans would rank the Ravens and Patriots much bigger rivals right now. Hell, even the Bengals and Titans are bigger rivals.
strongly disagree S~Back ! What MAKES a Rivalry is History ...and The FANS ! Poll EVERY Person living in the Greater Pittsburgh as them the ONE Team they NEVER Want to lose to ...Area I am Sure its the Cleveland Browns. Please I dont live there but I am from there and My Friends and relatives from the Burgh are 100% Browns Haters. And Silverback... if the Browns weren't a Rival YOU wouldn't be here. Why bother ?
-
Since 1970 the Steelers are 53-24 against the Browns. That isn't even close to being a rivalry. They met in the playoffs only twice ever and the Steelers won both.
Honestly most Steelers fans would rank the Ravens and Patriots much bigger rivals right now. Hell, even the Bengals and Titans are bigger rivals.
Once again Steeler fans think that football started in 1970.
The Browns-Steelers rivalry is one of the most storied rivalries in the NFL. With 117 meetings and counting, it is the oldest rivalry and the most storied in the American Football Conference (AFC), surpassing any other rivalry in the conference by at least 5 contests.
Once again Steeler fans think that football started in 1970.
The Browns-Steelers rivalry is one of the most storied rivalries in the NFL. With 117 meetings and counting, it is the oldest rivalry and the most storied in the American Football Conference (AFC), surpassing any other rivalry in the conference by at least 5 contests.
NO we dont that's such a BS Statement , and always Tossed around. As much as saying you guys dont think whats happened since matters as much. we ALL Know whats up , what happened and what IS Happening. Steeler fans in General are WELL Versed in our Histoty ... it makes hwats happened SINCE 1970 all the more impressive. Thats argument is Total Bull S*** .. why keep tossing it out there ? And If a Few feel that way... we live in a What have you done for me Lately world anyway. But Most know our history extremely well.
-
A steeler fan brought up 1970 not me. When the teams have played close to 120 times a steeler fan only looks at half of those.
-
A steeler fan brought up 1970 not me. When the teams have played close to 120 times a steeler fan only looks at half of those.
A steeler fan brought up 1970 not me. When the teams have played close to 120 times a steeler fan only looks at half of those.
Well dont roll us all under the bus.
-
Fair enough. There's browns fan I wouldn't want to ne lump in with too.
-
A steeler fan brought up 1970 not me. When the teams have played close to 120 times a steeler fan only looks at half of those.
A steeler fan brought up 1970 not me. When the teams have played close to 120 times a Steeler fan only looks at half of those.
Your math is REALLY bad! The Browns have only been around since 1950 so the rivalry is 61 years old, with 41 of those years are after 1970. 20 is not HALF of 61. Everybody knows the modern era of professional football and the NFL as we know it began with the merger and the 1st Super Bowl. The fact of the matter is the Steelers and Browns have seldom been good at the same time. The Steelers and Ravens have met in the playoffs 3 times this decade alone and are consistently good at the same time. There have been more major match-ups between the Steelers and Ravens in their short history than there have been in 60+ years of Steelers vs Browns games. Aside from Cleveland being an AFC North foe, most Steelers fans don't care about the Browns any more than they do the Bengals.
-
Silverback if you truly don't care about the browns or the Clev. Pitt rivalry the go the eff away!!! Go to a steeler board and take ghoulisional with you.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login