Skip to content

Let's Talk Sandwiches!

The Browns Board
47 21 2.6k
  • @ballpeen said:

    As my family can attest, I love a good sandwich. Maybe I just like eating with my hands, I don't know, but there is nothing better then a good sandwich with a cold beer as a wash.

    With football season upon us, maybe we can share "our" favorite sandwich. There will be lot's of Saturday and Sunday afternoons spent in the easy chair watching the game ,munching on some grub and sipping a brew or 5.

    The key element for me is ease of preparation. If it's something that require a lot of prep or takes forever to make, it never hits my hands.

    For me, the best sandwich in creation is the Cuban. It's the perfect sandwich...yummy, big, and easy to handle.

    Here is my quick version of the Cuban....it takes 2 minutes to put together and maybe 3 minutes to toast.

    Tools and Ingredients:

    George Foreman Grill

    1 Italian sandwich loaf

    2 slices hard salami

    1-2 slices plain ole boiled ham slices(depends on size of the slice)

    2-3 oz pulled pork. (I can buy tubs at the grocery that are already cooked....it can't have sauce....just plain smoked pork. This is the time saver....I do them with Cuban roasted pork, but that is another process that goes against the spirit of this thread)

    1-2 slices Swiss cheese

    2 slices of dill pickle cut the length of the pickle....not the chips.

    Mustard

    On the roll, toss the salami on bottom, then the ham. Add a liberal amount of the mustard.

    Pile on the pork and cover with cheese.

    Cover with the dill slices.

    Press in the Foreman for 2-3-4 minutes....until the cheese is melting.

    Cut the sandwich from the top left top the bottom right and you have it....the perfect sandwich.

    Note: You can man up on the portions if you want.....pile it on, but stick to the basic proportions....the salami and ham are to compliment the pork.

    You also need the pickles... pickle in every bite.

    Let's hear it....I want a new second favorite sandwich just as I hope this becomes yours.

    I can't hack the sauce anymore either. Especially the tomato based sauce. Get Acid Reflux at night when sleeping and almost die.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I can't hack the sauce anymore either. Especially the tomato based sauce. Get Acid Reflux at night when sleeping and almost die.

    My point is it can't have the BBQ sauce in it.....that isn't a Cuban...A Cuban is Cuban roasted pork.....a process that includes marinating a pork loin over night in OJ, Lemon juice, vinegar, water, olive oil, a ton of garlic cloves, cumin, pepper, and a half cup of salt.

    Then roasting the thing at 450 for 30 minutes, then setting the heat to 200 until done.....about another hour or more depending on the size to the loin....basting several times to boot.

    I aim to skip all of that. 😉

  • All I can say is.....THE RUBEN!!!!! CLASSIC!!!

    @halfbreed216 said:

    All I can say is.....THE RUBEN!!!!! CLASSIC!!!

    So how do you make yours???

  • @halfbreed216 said:

    All I can say is.....THE RUBEN!!!!! CLASSIC!!!

    So how do you make yours???

    @ballpeen said:

    So how do you make yours???

    I don't, the wife makes them. lol....I'll figure it out one day, I'm just always doing something when she does make it lol...sorry.

  • I take white bread, coat with Miracle Whip. Then add 3 slices of bologna, with a slice of pepper-jack cheese and top with lettuce.

    I realize its pretty involved, but well worth the time.

  • Hard Salami, Honey baked ham, Munster or Swiss Chesse, Miracle Whip

    Egg Salad Sandwiches

    The Classic BLT

    All 3 of these are my favorite sandwiches tho Rebuens are way up there also i love em all

  • I take white bread, coat with Miracle Whip. Then add 3 slices of bologna, with a slice of pepper-jack cheese and top with lettuce.

    I realize its pretty involved, but well worth the time.

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    I take white bread, coat with Miracle Whip. Then add 3 slices of bologna, with a slice of pepper-jack cheese and top with lettuce.

    I realize its pretty involved, but well worth the time.

    I like that too.....but I do a bit better.

    I use real mayo and pan fry the bologna.....Alabama "Steak" sammie's are good.

    I do get the deli person to cut 1/4 in thick slices....they fry down.

  • Im not a fan of Mayo but I have had it with the fried bologna. If your gonna get that involved you have to fry up a egg and put it on

    there to. I don't know how I would've gotten through my teen years without a fried bologna and egg sammich.

  • i haven't had miracle whip in 30 years since leavin ohio. not big in new york. now i'm hooked on hellman's, but only on certain sandwiches. i'm more the mustard lettuce tomato type guy. here they make italians combos whereas in ohio we called them subs. nothin like the 'regular' sub at the pizza house west in sandusky, ohio. ham, salami, mozzarella, lettuce, tomato and onions with sweet and sour sauce. flippin awesome!

    i freak out my friends with the ol' bologna, ketchup salt n pepper on white bread. loads of ketchup so it drips out the sides!

  • Zombo said:

    A simple grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup for lunch.

    yeah man. i still dip the sandwich in the soup like a little kid. good stuff.

    aren't hoagies the chicago term or does cleveland use that as well?

    also i know it's really not a sandwich but the chicago style hot dog is the shit! with the tomatoes and sport peppers......slammin. got hooked on those when i worked in tempe, az. a guy retired from chicago to there and had a little sandwich cart he pulled behind his truck. line was around the block. 'fat pat's hot dogs. i'll never forget it. i used to go back to the print shop with my forehead sweatin and it wasn't because it was 103 degrees outside.

  • I used to just sandwhiches since I started my cutting diet back up. Most suck since it's mostly just grilled chicken or turkey, but I still manage a nice big egg sandwhich for breakfast with ham or sausage and today I had a homemade chili burger which was nice.

    For me my favorite is a greasy pizza sub with pep ham bacon and Italian sausage with loads of pizza sauce. The kind you get from the local carry out or bowling ally and wolf down at work during your lunch break.

  • Heres mine - kinda simple, on Sunday when Im grilling burgers for the kids, I grill a mess of chicken breasts seasoned with montreal chicken dust, cut them in strips for a weeks worth of lunches. .

    I also precut the veggies like red,orange,yellow peppers, red onion, romaine lettuce and some tomatoes.

    I put em together every morning on whole wheat bread or wrapped in a tortilla with a chipoltle sauce or a combo of Guldens spicy and mayo. Then keep them chilled for a day of work (usually in the heat) so a cold sandwich is easy to eat!

    Ballpeen - thx for the ingredient list for the Cuban - Im sure it tastes as good as it sounds...

  • Muffalettas and po'boys.......nothing compares. Got to buy them because it would cost too much for all the ingredients just to make one. I couldn't even replicate these coonass's recipes even if I tried.

  • I used to just sandwhiches since I started my cutting diet back up. Most suck since it's mostly just grilled chicken or turkey, but I still manage a nice big egg sandwhich for breakfast with ham or sausage and today I had a homemade chili burger which was nice.

    For me my favorite is a greasy pizza sub with pep ham bacon and Italian sausage with loads of pizza sauce. The kind you get from the local carry out or bowling ally and wolf down at work during your lunch break.

    Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    For me my favorite is a greasy pizza sub with pep ham bacon and Italian sausage with loads of pizza sauce.

    yikes. keep 911 on speed dial. the closest i come to that nowadays when wantin a real old 'classic' is the pizza burger. pre-made with the mozzarella in the middle of it and enough sauce to keep the bun top sliding off.

    as far as a cajun sandwich we have a local cajun restaurant that makes a fried crawfish po' boy with the creole mayo, lettuce and tomato on a fresh french baguette. best fresh crawfish i've ever had: lake ponchatrain crawfish festival in hammond, la back in 82. 3 of us drove down from fort knox, ky (first duty station) and had one of the best weekends of my life. somethin about a southern girl with that little twang of an accent. grrrrrr!

  • @king-ghoolie-lives said:

    The Ghoolie.............

    1) Take a load of unsliced Italian Bread. cut off the ends just where they expand to the full height of the loaf. Shove those ends up someone's ass, I don't use them.

    2) Cut the loaf in half lengthwise.

    3) Butter the fkuck out of both ends and put buttered ends down on hot grill. Grill until crisp golden brown.

    4) Flip bread into a warming pan, crust side down, put pepper jack cheese slices to cover bread and let it slowly melt.

    5) Once cheese melts sprinkle well done, crushed crisp bacon chunks to get sucked up in cheese.

    6) Place on each slice of bread one well fried egg.

    7) Add two medium cooked 1/2 pound hamburger patties made with PRIME ground filet mignon or NY strip meat

    😎 Spread home made Aeoli (equal parts mayo, grey poupon, squeezed garlic, orange slice, lemon slice)

    9) Spread a dry-ish hand made colw slaw

    10) Slop on hand cut, fresh french fries

    11) Lettuce, Tomato, Red Onion

    Feast on Ghoolie's favorite. THAT, is a badd ass sammich!

    My arteries are clogging just reading that. But damn it sounds good.

  • All I can say is.....THE RUBEN!!!!! CLASSIC!!!

    @halfbreed216 said:

    All I can say is.....THE RUBEN!!!!! CLASSIC!!!

    This.

  • Corky and Lenny's has fantastic sandwiches.

    www.corkyandlennys.net

    27091 Chagrin Boulevard

    Woodmere Village, Ohio 44122

    Phone - 216.464.3838

    Fax - 216.464.1622

    Toll Free - 877.858.3838

  • I second the classic BLT, especially with our own tomatoes.

    The other favorite is, just make some Calfox special:

    (it's easy to double the recipe,eh?)

    1 package of sage sausage (the tube packages like Jimmy Dean)

    coarsely chopped green tomatoes, I use about two medium sized

    3 or 4 sweet peppers

    Brown the sausage, get it out of the pan, get all the grease out, put it back in,

    add green tomatoes and peppers. Add a little salt if you want, I do. Sometimes a pinch of black pepper.

    I like it heavier on the sausage than the veggies. The veggie amount is personal taste/preference.

    slop @@ it onto a hoagie bun, with a tall mug of iced root beer.

  • I second the classic BLT, especially with our own tomatoes.

    The other favorite is, just make some Calfox special:

    (it's easy to double the recipe,eh?)

    1 package of sage sausage (the tube packages like Jimmy Dean)

    coarsely chopped green tomatoes, I use about two medium sized

    3 or 4 sweet peppers

    Brown the sausage, get it out of the pan, get all the grease out, put it back in,

    add green tomatoes and peppers. Add a little salt if you want, I do. Sometimes a pinch of black pepper.

    I like it heavier on the sausage than the veggies. The veggie amount is personal taste/preference.

    slop @@ it onto a hoagie bun, with a tall mug of iced root beer.

    @calfoxwc said:

    I second the classic BLT, especially with our own tomatoes.

    The other favorite is, just make some Calfox special:

    (it's easy to double the recipe,eh?)

    1 package of sage sausage (the tube packages like Jimmy Dean)

    coarsely chopped green tomatoes, I use about two medium sized

    3 or 4 sweet peppers

    Brown the sausage, get it out of the pan, get all the grease out, put it back in,

    add green tomatoes and peppers. Add a little salt if you want, I do. Sometimes a pinch of black pepper.

    I like it heavier on the sausage than the veggies. The veggie amount is personal taste/preference.

    slop @@ it onto a hoagie bun, with a tall mug of iced root beer.

    I've had this with Cal & it's great!

    Mike

  • These Italian Sloppy Joes don't take long to fix & they are my favorites:

    Ingredients

    * 1 pound bulk Italian sausage

    * 1 pound bulk spicy Italian sausage

    * 4 garlic cloves, minced (or you may used the garlic that comes in a jar)

    * 1 cup chopped green pepper

    * 1/2 cup chopped onion

    * 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce

    * 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

    * 1 teaspoon dried oregano

    * 1/2 teaspoon chili powder

    * 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed

    * 8 to 10 French or submarine rolls, split

    * 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

    Directions

    * In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook sausage, garlic, green pepper and onion over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon about 1/2 cup onto each roll; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8-10 servings.

    Mike

  • Two words. Swenson burger.