Let's Talk Sandwiches!
-
If you want something fast. Go to the hotdog aisle, get some Johnsonville brats, or sausage, or kielbasa. Take one, or two of those, and put them on a kaiser roll. Add some mustard, (YELLOW) and then nuk'em for 30 seconds and enjoy with a cold beer
best brat snack is one of the ways they serve it in germany: currywurst.
just slice up a white brat on a plate and dip it in a mixture of ketchup and curry powder.
and pommes frites (french fries) with mayo.
only way to go.
best brat snack is one of the ways they serve it in germany: currywurst.
just slice up a white brat on a plate and dip it in a mixture of ketchup and curry powder.
and pommes frites (french fries) with mayo.
only way to go.
Never saw that. I was in Germany for 6 months in 1973 at Kirchgoens. We had a little Gasthouse right outside the gate. They sold a grilled bratwurst (whole) with a small bun and pomme s frits. Good chow. Of course the pay was so small then that about broke me until the next month.
-
best brat snack is one of the ways they serve it in germany: currywurst.
just slice up a white brat on a plate and dip it in a mixture of ketchup and curry powder.
and pommes frites (french fries) with mayo.
only way to go.
Never saw that. I was in Germany for 6 months in 1973 at Kirchgoens. We had a little Gasthouse right outside the gate. They sold a grilled bratwurst (whole) with a small bun and pomme s frits. Good chow. Of course the pay was so small then that about broke me until the next month.
Never saw that. I was in Germany for 6 months in 1973 at Kirchgoens. We had a little Gasthouse right outside the gate. They sold a grilled bratwurst (whole) with a small bun and pomme s frits. Good chow. Of course the pay was so small then that about broke me until the next month.
wurzburg early 80's. they served this out of the food trucks on the side of the road. we also had a gasthouse right down the street. we'd go for the sit down meals once in while. we also had a gypsy guy come drive in the kaserne late at night and ring a bell like the town crier. funny to see a bunch of drunks go running for a one ingredient german pizza at midnight.
we also had '5 mark park' right out the back gate. but that was a different kind of meal (if you know what i mean).

-
Some good stuff here guys....thanks....and keep it up
Right! And nobody even stooped to saying something like "I want to be the meat in a Jessica sandwich...Alba on top and Beil on the bottom". (At least, not until I just stooped to doing it. Someone had to bring this conversation down to the gutter level, I guess it had to be me)
-
Zombo said:
I wanna be this sandwich ...

Zombo
---Looks like a Cuban ... too bad, she should have a little Irish in her.
I wonder if she likes Croation Kielbasa?
-
Zombo said:
I wanna be this sandwich ...

Zombo
---Looks like a Cuban ... too bad, she should have a little Irish in her.
I don't think I agree with you. It appears that she is ready to chomp down on that sandwich. I don't think I would go for chomping. I think I would have too much to lose with that chomping there. I think I would prefer this:

-
Zombo said:
I wanna be this sandwich ...

Zombo
---Looks like a Cuban ... too bad, she should have a little Irish in her.
I wonder if she likes Croation Kielbasa?
I wonder if she likes Croation Kielbasa?
JA or giant sized cvapi LOL
-
All I can say is.....THE RUBEN!!!!! CLASSIC!!!
All I can say is.....THE RUBEN!!!!! CLASSIC!!!
here's my version--it's just the standard one you'll find most places but definitely delish. typically i just "do" it, so these times are loose. i have never timed it before so i apologize if i'm off a bit.
ingred list: sliced marbled rye bread
the best sauerkraut you can find-preferably sand color or darker over the lighter less aged stuff
thinly sliced corned beef...but not so thin it chips
run-of-the-mill swiss cheese-although i like apline and baby they are much too mild--save your $$ and get the reg.
thousand island dressing
flat griddle or cookie sheet, depending on the method
lazy method>>oven:
makes 1.
preheat to 400ish
on cookie sheet (sub w/ a pizza pan or whatever you have flat and decent sized--not a pie pan unless you use several).
be sure to place all items on the sheet/pan with liberal room between them.
butter 2 slices of rye bread and place them onto the sheet side by side (again, not touching). sometimes these loafs are irregularly shaped so place them so they will mate together when finished aka not identical and the same way. i think you know what i mean (and how much this sucks when they don't match-up).
in the middle of the sheet/pan make two smallish piles of corned beef. if your corned beef slices are big enough to cover the bread singly, use 2-4 for each pile. adjust accordingly (but obviously a sandwich can be as big as you want it to be).
make a wide shallow pile of sauerkraut on the other end of the sheet/pan opposite the bread slices. the idea is for the corned beef to be a divider between the bread and the sauerkraut so the juice won't run and make the bread soggy.
place on middle rack in oven.
after several minutes (3-5?): flip the bread over to toast the other side and mix around the corned beef and the sauerkraut. ideally the corned beef that was on the bottom is now on the top.
if most of the corned beef is warm and heating nicely place a slice of swiss on top of each pile of corned beef>>but hold off if the pile is still cold. **common sense needed.
after a few more minutes check the bread to make sure it doesn't get over toasted and too crunchy/hard. if it's good to go and grilled-ish remove it.
remove the rest once the other ingredients are hot and cheese is nice and melty.
**you don't want the corned beef to dry out.
assembly: on one slice of bread (use the smaller one if they vary in size) place a corned beef/chz stack, on top of that place as much 1000 island as you like, then the sauerkraut, followed by the 2nd corned beef/chz stack, and finally the 2nd slice of rye.
slice it in half and then place it upside down. flipping it like this keeps it from getting soggy on the bottom. if the sandwich begins to get soggy on bottom you can always flip it again>>slow eaters take note.
the stovetop method is a bit more involved but definitely produces the best sandwich. for those that can't tell the difference between top shelf and well, although supremely inferior (quality oxymoron there) i guess one could simply toast in a toaster and microwave the parts, but i'm not gonna be the guinea pig on that one.
...continued later, gotta run.
-
Great stuff guys.
I agree, Reuben's are wonderful.
For a chain type place, Applebees has a very good Reuben.
-
Zombo said:
I wanna be this sandwich ...

Zombo
---Looks like a Cuban ... too bad, she should have a little Irish in her.
Who's that...Erin Andrews??
She is a Gator Grad......she likes Cubans.
Zomboner, I know you've had a Cuban. You have to admit, they are pretty damn good, if not perfect IYO.
-
Zombo said:
Yes, that's Erin, and yes I love Cubans. There a little shack on Bonita Beach that we go and fill up on tacos and cubans ... and then we are ready for a nap.
Z
Is a taco considered a sandwich? How about a burrito and other such Mexican fare?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login