Gregory Strichek
-
Thoughts and prayers to you.
-
Yesterday afternoon my father, Gregory Strichek, passed away while in the hospital. He was 55 years old. I felt the need to post this because if it weren't for my father, I wouldn't be the Browns fan I am today. My father was born in Youngstown, Ohio and was the biggest die-hard Brownie fan you will ever meet. Born into a largely Steeler biased household, my father rebelled and clung to the Browns. His wardrobe consisted of many colors, but his heart bled orange and brown, as those were his true colors. He raised me the right way and molded me into the Browns fan I am today.
Although diabetes and infection took both of his legs, his eyesight, his sternum, and three of his fingers, it never took away his zest for life. Every Sunday we'd throw on our jerseys and head to Beef O' Brady's, owned by a family friend (and giant Steeler fan), and watch our beloved Brownies take the field. We had our own special corner booth and our own tv, and we'd start off the game with a pitcher of Coors light and a basket of onion rings and fried mushrooms. It's funny how you remember the little things like that.
Although confined to a wheelchair, my father never believed in limitations. At every one of my semi-pro football games, he could be seen zipping along the sidelines, cheering us all on. He put his heart and soul into cheering for us. He truly was a member of the team, and everybody loved him dearly.
He was the greatest man Ive ever known. Good people seemed to gravitate towards him. After his wife left him abruptly last year, I moved in with him to take care of him. As it always seemingly happens, he ended up taking care of me more than I ever did him. As time went on, his friends became my friends and mine became his. Now what's he's left behind is a tangled mass of people who would have never known each other if it weren't for him. He had that affect on people, he could bring anybody together in any circumstances. He was Gods gift to those who knew him.
He was my best friend and my biggest supporter. We used to sit back and dream about the day when I'd put on that Browns jersey for the first time, and step out onto the field in Cleveland Browns Stadium. My only wish is that he could have been around long enough to see it happen. But I know that he's in Heaven now, finally seeing me with perfect clarity and he'll be there the day I fulfill our dream.
But for now I sit here, trying to compose his obituary, something no 21-year old should have to do, and I look back and smile, thinking of the little things ill miss. Like "his play", a vertical Cover 2 seam bust to the Tight end. Any time he'd see that play, his eyes would light up and he'd sat " See! There it was! That's my play!". Or his hatred for Art Modell and Jake Delhomme. Or his hounddog-like Dawg Pound howl that never sounded quite right, but was always welcome. These are the things I'll never forget. I know it will get much harder before it ever gets better, but until I find sleep once again, I can sit up and watch DVR'ed Browns games. And every time McCoy hits Evan Moore in the deep middle, it will be like he never left.
So, here's to you Dad, the greatest man I've ever known. I miss you more every day, but you're finally at peace now.
"Go Browns, and xxxx you Modell"
Yesterday afternoon my father, Gregory Strichek, passed away while in the hospital. He was 55 years old. I felt the need to post this because if it weren't for my father, I wouldn't be the Browns fan I am today. My father was born in Youngstown, Ohio and was the biggest die-hard Brownie fan you will ever meet. Born into a largely Steeler biased household, my father rebelled and clung to the Browns. His wardrobe consisted of many colors, but his heart bled orange and brown, as those were his true colors. He raised me the right way and molded me into the Browns fan I am today.
Although diabetes and infection took both of his legs, his eyesight, his sternum, and three of his fingers, it never took away his zest for life. Every Sunday we'd throw on our jerseys and head to Beef O' Brady's, owned by a family friend (and giant Steeler fan), and watch our beloved Brownies take the field. We had our own special corner booth and our own tv, and we'd start off the game with a pitcher of Coors light and a basket of onion rings and fried mushrooms. It's funny how you remember the little things like that.
Although confined to a wheelchair, my father never believed in limitations. At every one of my semi-pro football games, he could be seen zipping along the sidelines, cheering us all on. He put his heart and soul into cheering for us. He truly was a member of the team, and everybody loved him dearly.
He was the greatest man Ive ever known. Good people seemed to gravitate towards him. After his wife left him abruptly last year, I moved in with him to take care of him. As it always seemingly happens, he ended up taking care of me more than I ever did him. As time went on, his friends became my friends and mine became his. Now what's he's left behind is a tangled mass of people who would have never known each other if it weren't for him. He had that affect on people, he could bring anybody together in any circumstances. He was Gods gift to those who knew him.
He was my best friend and my biggest supporter. We used to sit back and dream about the day when I'd put on that Browns jersey for the first time, and step out onto the field in Cleveland Browns Stadium. My only wish is that he could have been around long enough to see it happen. But I know that he's in Heaven now, finally seeing me with perfect clarity and he'll be there the day I fulfill our dream.
But for now I sit here, trying to compose his obituary, something no 21-year old should have to do, and I look back and smile, thinking of the little things ill miss. Like "his play", a vertical Cover 2 seam bust to the Tight end. Any time he'd see that play, his eyes would light up and he'd sat " See! There it was! That's my play!". Or his hatred for Art Modell and Jake Delhomme. Or his hounddog-like Dawg Pound howl that never sounded quite right, but was always welcome. These are the things I'll never forget. I know it will get much harder before it ever gets better, but until I find sleep once again, I can sit up and watch DVR'ed Browns games. And every time McCoy his Evan Moore in the deep middle, it will be like he never left.
So, here's to you Dad, the greatest man I've ever known. I miss you more every day, but you're finally at peace now.
"Go Browns, and xxxx you Modell"
May he rest in peace. That is way to young to die.
-
I'm so sorry to hear that man. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
-
my thoughts are with you
-
sounds like a great man. a great fan.
god rest his soul.
-
Sorry to hear that Tim.
Having lost both of my parents, I know the times are hard, and will be for a while.
But you have the key. Your Dad is in your heart, and as long as yours beats, his memory will remain strong.
It sounds to me Greg did a good job with his kid! Nothing better than that.
I pray your fathers soul is with God, and pray you and your families hearts are firmly in His healing hands.
LOL....now you'll be looking for the TE in the seam and it will be "your" play, and the "old man" would want that, after all, you ARE him.
Apples don't fall very far from the tree.
-
So sorry to hear about your loss.
Sounds like Greg was a great man, father and friend.Reading your post it sounds like you two had a great relationship.
Stay strong, and hold on to the belief that he is now in a much better place.
-
Sorry to hear that Tim.
Having lost both of my parents, I know the times are hard, and will be for a while.
But you have the key. Your Dad is in your heart, and as long as yours beats, his memory will remain strong.
It sounds to me Greg did a good job with his kid! Nothing better than that.
I pray your fathers soul is with God, and pray you and your families hearts are firmly in His healing hands.
LOL....now you'll be looking for the TE in the seam and it will be "your" play, and the "old man" would want that, after all, you ARE him.
Apples don't fall very far from the tree.
Sorry to hear that Tim.
Having lost both of my parents, I know the times are hard, and will be for a while.
But you have the key. Your Dad is in your heart, and as long as yours beats, his memory will remain strong.
It sounds to me Greg did a good job with his kid! Nothing better than that.
I pray your fathers soul is with God, and pray you and your families hearts are firmly in His healing hands.
LOL....now you'll be looking for the TE in the seam and it will be "your" play, and the "old man" would want that, after all, you ARE him.
Apples don't fall very far from the tree.
Tim,
I could not have said it better than 'Peen.
God Bless,
Mike
-
Just wanted to post a picture of him. Consummate comedian and Browns fan.
I'll post a file that is easier to look at when I have more time. But for now, it's a Firefox file.
-
God Bless, Tim. What Peen said, ditto. .
-
Thank you, everyone. Your words truly do mean a lot. Although I've never met any of you, I feel like I'm amongst lifelong friends. That's one of the greatest things about being a Browns fan, we are all family. My father always saw the best in people, and I truly believe he can rest easier knowing that Ive found a group of remarkably kind folks such as yourselves.
-
Sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Take care and remember the good times when it gets difficult.
-
Thanks for sharing. I know your memories will help you find peace at this difficult time. God Bless.
-
Your dad would burst with pride over your thoughtful and sincere remarks. It's obvious he did a fantastic job in making you the man you are today. May he RIP
-
Your dad sounded like an awesome person and dad. I am sorry for your loss and if I can give some words of wisdom. It only gets easier.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login