Skip to content

We Lost. It Sucked. But There Were Some Positives.

The Browns Board
40 24 2.5k
  • chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Sry...I didn't mean lapse on Joe's part. More a collective lapse.....especially on the "coaches"....of u can call them that.

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #15

    Just curious, are you a Steeler fan, any other team fan, Browns fan, or what? I'm being serious, and just trying to see where you're coming from.

  • 1 more season1 1 more season wrote on last edited by
    #16

    No positives with a game like that.

  • No positives.

    0-1.

    Conference loss.

    Lose against a terrible team with a backup qb.

    In my drunkeness, i can't see anything to be happy about now.

    slimdawgS slimdawg wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @usfbrown said:

    No positives.

    0-1.

    Conference loss.

    Lose against a terrible team with a backup qb.

    In my drunkeness, i can't see anything to be happy about now.

    3 outta your 4 statements are as true as it gets....drunk or not. Saw a few positives from what peices I was able to stay awake for.

  • @usfbrown said:

    No positives.

    0-1.

    Conference loss.

    Lose against a terrible team with a backup qb.

    In my drunkeness, i can't see anything to be happy about now.

    3 outta your 4 statements are as true as it gets....drunk or not. Saw a few positives from what peices I was able to stay awake for.

    slimdawgS slimdawg wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @slimdawg said:

    3 outta your 4 statements are as true as it gets....drunk or not. Saw a few positives from what peices I was able to stay awake for.

    AND I wasn't sleepin cause it wasn't a snoozer of a game, just lifes circumstances forcin me do so. Haven't missed a game or part, (half in todays case) be it live, t.v. or radio for as long as I can remember.prolly since I was 8 and I feel bad cause it was over friggin sleep lol

  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #19

    This franchise stinks. I didn't expect anything different. I just hope when they are 0-2 when I'm at the Dolphin game they win. What makes me laugh is every year Browns fans are sooo optimistic and the reality is this franchise is so poorly managed they will never be successful. They are the Clippers of the NFL....

  • R Represent wrote on last edited by
    #20

    I read this book last year.

    I very much believe when it was 17-13 we changed our offensive attack and defensive scheme to burn clock and when it started raining the bengals caught us in one of the worst defense laps maybe in all of professional history not one personal was lined up to cover anyone, that ended the game... i had a glimmer of hope when i thought Josh broke the side line with 3:30 left and i saw Little deck him with the best hit in the game and all the energy i built up the last 60 days exploded out of my chest and i am xxxxing PISSED OFF

    Division Loss to the Bengals .... Rookie QB goes down and their backup burns us for the game terrible

  • GipsG Gips wrote on last edited by Gips
    #21

    Like i said before im not really measuring the browns progress by wins and losses this year, there was some very good things going on underneath the obvious fact that this is a new system with new coaches that had very little time to prepare the club..

    Anyone that thinks mangini could have done any better needs to take their blinders off, this team has a ways to go before it gets where it needs to go but we will see growth as the season wears on and the players meld and gel, it still sucks being a browns fan and will for a while longer...

    This team seems to have a real problem with playing in wet weather, may i suggest cold water hoses and sprinklers at practice this week?

    At least coach shurmur puts the rap on himself along with his players the whole team has much to do not for this year as much as for next year..

  • Like i said before im not really measuring the browns progress by wins and losses this year, there was some very good things going on underneath the obvious fact that this is a new system with new coaches that had very little time to prepare the club..

    Anyone that thinks mangini could have done any better needs to take their blinders off, this team has a ways to go before it gets where it needs to go but we will see growth as the season wears on and the players meld and gel, it still sucks being a browns fan and will for a while longer...

    This team seems to have a real problem with playing in wet weather, may i suggest cold water hoses and sprinklers at practice this week?

    At least coach shurmur puts the rap on himself along with his players the whole team has much to do not for this year as much as for next year..

    USFBrownU USFBrown wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @gips said:

    Like i said before im not really measuring the browns progress by wins and losses this year, there was some very good things going on underneath the obvious fact that this is a new system with new coaches that had very little time to prepare the club..

    Anyone that thinks mangini could have done any better needs to take their blinders off, this team has a ways to go before it gets where it needs to go but we will see growth as the season wears on and the players meld and gel, it still sucks being a browns fan and will for a while longer...

    This team seems to have a real problem with playing in wet weather, may i suggest cold water hoses and sprinklers at practice this week?

    I don't wanna start a mangini vs shurmur thread cuz shurmur is our future but manginis teams were disciplined and didn't commit penalties like this one.

  • Like i said before im not really measuring the browns progress by wins and losses this year, there was some very good things going on underneath the obvious fact that this is a new system with new coaches that had very little time to prepare the club..

    Anyone that thinks mangini could have done any better needs to take their blinders off, this team has a ways to go before it gets where it needs to go but we will see growth as the season wears on and the players meld and gel, it still sucks being a browns fan and will for a while longer...

    This team seems to have a real problem with playing in wet weather, may i suggest cold water hoses and sprinklers at practice this week?

    At least coach shurmur puts the rap on himself along with his players the whole team has much to do not for this year as much as for next year..

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @gips said:

    Like i said before im not really measuring the browns progress by wins and losses this year, there was some very good things going on underneath the obvious fact that this is a new system with new coaches that had very little time to prepare the club..

    Anyone that thinks mangini could have done any better needs to take their blinders off, this team has a ways to go before it gets where it needs to go but we will see growth as the season wears on and the players meld and gel, it still sucks being a browns fan and will for a while longer...

    This team seems to have a real problem with playing in wet weather, may i suggest cold water hoses and sprinklers at practice this week?

    At least coach shurmur puts the rap on himself along with his players the whole team has much to do not for this year as much as for next year..

    If the NFL didn't measure progress by wins and losses the Browns would have a shot at the SuperBowl

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #24

    holmgren looks like a genius today. i'm really trying to hold back with the anti-holmgren thing, because like many of you with all these prognostications i could turn out looking like an ass.

    yes it's the first game of a new season with little time to prepare. hmmmm....just like every other team in the NFL.

  • @gips said:

    Like i said before im not really measuring the browns progress by wins and losses this year, there was some very good things going on underneath the obvious fact that this is a new system with new coaches that had very little time to prepare the club..

    Anyone that thinks mangini could have done any better needs to take their blinders off, this team has a ways to go before it gets where it needs to go but we will see growth as the season wears on and the players meld and gel, it still sucks being a browns fan and will for a while longer...

    This team seems to have a real problem with playing in wet weather, may i suggest cold water hoses and sprinklers at practice this week?

    I don't wanna start a mangini vs shurmur thread cuz shurmur is our future but manginis teams were disciplined and didn't commit penalties like this one.

    1 more season1 1 more season wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @usfbrown said:

    I don't wanna start a mangini vs shurmur thread cuz shurmur is our future but manginis teams were disciplined and didn't commit penalties like this one.

    And they didn't win either.

    Agreed those penalties were horrible and

    Inexcusable.

  • BrownsKiddB BrownsKidd wrote on last edited by
    #26

    There really are not a lot of positives to this game. The one thing that we have to do is turn the negatives into a positive by learning from them.

    But we looked great to come back and take a lead and then it just went to crap. Colt looked dazed and confused at time. It appears that he stood to long in a collapsing pocket. It also appears that he may have been to close to the OL.. .for example. We started watching the Giants game. Manning took a snap from behind center, and was 6 yards back after the snap. I will have to go back and watch Colt some more but it looked like he stood way to close to OL and hung out in the pocket way to long to often.

    Were was the snap and intensity of our offense compared to our first two pre-season games. We looked out of sync on offense.

    Our secondary was again too many times playing way to far off their men. I'm tired of seeing guys wide open. Ugh..

    I hate to say it, but Colt had to many passes knocked down, I hope he is tall enough for this league or we have to adjust our offense more.. maybe shotgun more.

    Where we the slants. Were were the quick outs.

  • A AlbinoRhino40 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Players didn't execute, coaches sucked, and pretty much just looked like a deer in headlights.

    They hit their stride when they scored 17 unanswered, but then they put it in neutral and tried to coast to the victory with a 4 point lead.

    I will make 1 excuse for them and that is that they had a short offseason to bring in all new coaches, many new players, and try to prepare for an NFL season. I just don't think they looked prepared. After they took the lead, it seemed that they were still trying to learn the offense and they were going into the 2nd half of a preseason game.

    I was pleased with Haden, EMoore, DJackson, and MoMass. Thomas, Mack, Rubin, Taylor all played well as expected.

    Colt McCoy should never again throw the ball 40 times in a game when we have Hillis in our backfield. That was just insane and I hope Shurmur realizes that he needs to get the ball to #40 a little more.

    Lastly, I can't stress enough how badly we will miss Steinbach this year... long season, but we'll get some Ws.

  • A AlbinoRhino40 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    And,

    Does anybody else think Robiskie should be dropped down the depth chart?

    I love the Buckeyes, but this guy never gets open. Maybe we need to put Little and Cribbs in the game more and quit wasting time with this guy.

  • And,

    Does anybody else think Robiskie should be dropped down the depth chart?

    I love the Buckeyes, but this guy never gets open. Maybe we need to put Little and Cribbs in the game more and quit wasting time with this guy.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #29

    @albinorhino40 said:

    And,

    Does anybody else think Robiskie should be dropped down the depth chart?

    I love the Buckeyes, but this guy never gets open. Maybe we need to put Little and Cribbs in the game more and quit wasting time with this guy.

    little, yes. cribbs i don't know. i think cribbs is being misused and has been for a couple of years by trying to turn the guy into a deep threat wideout. option, WildDawg whatever i think he'd be better off IMHO.

  • And,

    Does anybody else think Robiskie should be dropped down the depth chart?

    I love the Buckeyes, but this guy never gets open. Maybe we need to put Little and Cribbs in the game more and quit wasting time with this guy.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @albinorhino40 said:

    And,

    Does anybody else think Robiskie should be dropped down the depth chart?

    I love the Buckeyes, but this guy never gets open. Maybe we need to put Little and Cribbs in the game more and quit wasting time with this guy.

    That's how you appease the Cleveland fan base you give them OSU guys or Ohio guys Brady Quinn anyone?

  • holmgren looks like a genius today. i'm really trying to hold back with the anti-holmgren thing, because like many of you with all these prognostications i could turn out looking like an ass.

    yes it's the first game of a new season with little time to prepare. hmmmm....just like every other team in the NFL.

    marcusM marcus wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @miktoxic said:

    holmgren looks like a genius today. i'm really trying to hold back with the anti-holmgren thing, because like many of you with all these prognostications i could turn out looking like an ass.

    yes it's the first game of a new season with little time to prepare. hmmmm....just like every other team in the NFL.

    Well dude every other team isn't working with an entirely different offensive and defensive system. Not every team is fielding as many young and inexperienced players. The Bengals are likely the closest to our situation as we'll see all season long. No off season killed us before we even got started. Now we could talk about what if's all season long or we can watch this team get better week after week. Will that always equate to a win...in this division...highly unlikely. Totally with the lack of discipline thing with all the penalties...however...we've got 15 more games to shore that up. This team will lose a lot of close games because of inexperience and it all being brand spanking new. I'd love to see them go 15-1 from here on in but I know that realistically...not going to happen. I don't even like to throw predictions out there because I'm not sure of the product we're getting. If I had something like I don't know a whole season to see what these new systems and players are all about...I'd have no problem giving a prediction or even sharpshooting every associate of this team. But since that's not the case I'm going to follow this team like I do every year and see where this wave a of change takes us. I'd like to see them take off from this point and not look back but we are at a huge disadvantage and we know it. Even the star studded teams lay eggs sometimes. Since we're not even close to being star studded we have to be that much better fundamentally. Once these young guys get better fundamentally...they're going to be dangerous. Not even because they're some talented group that all of a sudden morphed into what the Patriots (just an example) are. It'll be because they are paying attention to detail and executing with a fundamental first mindset.

  • @miktoxic said:

    holmgren looks like a genius today. i'm really trying to hold back with the anti-holmgren thing, because like many of you with all these prognostications i could turn out looking like an ass.

    yes it's the first game of a new season with little time to prepare. hmmmm....just like every other team in the NFL.

    Well dude every other team isn't working with an entirely different offensive and defensive system. Not every team is fielding as many young and inexperienced players. The Bengals are likely the closest to our situation as we'll see all season long. No off season killed us before we even got started. Now we could talk about what if's all season long or we can watch this team get better week after week. Will that always equate to a win...in this division...highly unlikely. Totally with the lack of discipline thing with all the penalties...however...we've got 15 more games to shore that up. This team will lose a lot of close games because of inexperience and it all being brand spanking new. I'd love to see them go 15-1 from here on in but I know that realistically...not going to happen. I don't even like to throw predictions out there because I'm not sure of the product we're getting. If I had something like I don't know a whole season to see what these new systems and players are all about...I'd have no problem giving a prediction or even sharpshooting every associate of this team. But since that's not the case I'm going to follow this team like I do every year and see where this wave a of change takes us. I'd like to see them take off from this point and not look back but we are at a huge disadvantage and we know it. Even the star studded teams lay eggs sometimes. Since we're not even close to being star studded we have to be that much better fundamentally. Once these young guys get better fundamentally...they're going to be dangerous. Not even because they're some talented group that all of a sudden morphed into what the Patriots (just an example) are. It'll be because they are paying attention to detail and executing with a fundamental first mindset.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @marcus said:

    Well dude every other team isn't working with an entirely different offensive and defensive system. Not every team is fielding as many young and inexperienced players. The Bengals are likely the closest to our situation as we'll see all season long. No off season killed us before we even got started. Now we could talk about what if's all season long or we can watch this team get better week after week. Will that always equate to a win...in this division...highly unlikely. Totally with the lack of discipline thing with all the penalties...however...we've got 15 more games to shore that up. This team will lose a lot of close games because of inexperience and it all being brand spanking new. I'd love to see them go 15-1 from here on in but I know that realistically...not going to happen. I don't even like to throw predictions out there because I'm not sure of the product we're getting. If I had something like I don't know a whole season to see what these new systems and players are all about...I'd have no problem giving a prediction or even sharpshooting every associate of this team. But since that's not the case I'm going to follow this team like I do every year and see where this wave a of change takes us. I'd like to see them take off from this point and not look back but we are at a huge disadvantage and we know it. Even the star studded teams lay eggs sometimes. Since we're not even close to being star studded we have to be that much better fundamentally. Once these young guys get better fundamentally...they're going to be dangerous. Not even because they're some talented group that all of a sudden morphed into what the Patriots (just an example) are. It'll be because they are paying attention to detail and executing with a fundamental first mindset.

    i get it and agree 100%. the problem is, and i know no one wants to hear it is that this is what we've been being fed since '99. hell since the late 80's. now it's another evaluation year when last year was THE evaluation year? sure we've got 10-15 solid players on this team. maybe 10 would start on other nfl teams but what about the other 40 or so players? when do we get those guys? how do we get those guys while these other guys are still here?

    i always follow this team and will continue til they pry the remote and budweiser from my cold dead hands. i have stated that this is only the first game under new system and blah, blah, blah but when does this regime have to stand tall and account for it's inability? does holmgren get a pass because he's MIKE HOLMGREN? who does he think he is, brett favre? wasn't everyone calling for brett favre to retire years and years before he did? just sayin.

    the only one i'm confident in amongst this staff is heckert. everyone else i'm still 'evaluating'.

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @king-ghoolie-lives said:

    The Browns showed TREMENDOUS LINEAR IMPROVEMENT TODAY.

    Of all the losers today, the announcers cannot stop talking about how the Browns STOLE THE SHOW by demonstrating their linear improvement.

    Nope, the Browns looked like crap today. Man, those white uniforms sure intimidated the hell out of the Bengals.