We Lost. It Sucked. But There Were Some Positives.
-
Players didn't execute, coaches sucked, and pretty much just looked like a deer in headlights.
They hit their stride when they scored 17 unanswered, but then they put it in neutral and tried to coast to the victory with a 4 point lead.
I will make 1 excuse for them and that is that they had a short offseason to bring in all new coaches, many new players, and try to prepare for an NFL season. I just don't think they looked prepared. After they took the lead, it seemed that they were still trying to learn the offense and they were going into the 2nd half of a preseason game.
I was pleased with Haden, EMoore, DJackson, and MoMass. Thomas, Mack, Rubin, Taylor all played well as expected.
Colt McCoy should never again throw the ball 40 times in a game when we have Hillis in our backfield. That was just insane and I hope Shurmur realizes that he needs to get the ball to #40 a little more.
Lastly, I can't stress enough how badly we will miss Steinbach this year... long season, but we'll get some Ws.
-
And,
Does anybody else think Robiskie should be dropped down the depth chart?
I love the Buckeyes, but this guy never gets open. Maybe we need to put Little and Cribbs in the game more and quit wasting time with this guy.
-
And,
Does anybody else think Robiskie should be dropped down the depth chart?
I love the Buckeyes, but this guy never gets open. Maybe we need to put Little and Cribbs in the game more and quit wasting time with this guy.
And,
Does anybody else think Robiskie should be dropped down the depth chart?
I love the Buckeyes, but this guy never gets open. Maybe we need to put Little and Cribbs in the game more and quit wasting time with this guy.
little, yes. cribbs i don't know. i think cribbs is being misused and has been for a couple of years by trying to turn the guy into a deep threat wideout. option, WildDawg whatever i think he'd be better off IMHO.
-
And,
Does anybody else think Robiskie should be dropped down the depth chart?
I love the Buckeyes, but this guy never gets open. Maybe we need to put Little and Cribbs in the game more and quit wasting time with this guy.
And,
Does anybody else think Robiskie should be dropped down the depth chart?
I love the Buckeyes, but this guy never gets open. Maybe we need to put Little and Cribbs in the game more and quit wasting time with this guy.
That's how you appease the Cleveland fan base you give them OSU guys or Ohio guys Brady Quinn anyone?
-
holmgren looks like a genius today. i'm really trying to hold back with the anti-holmgren thing, because like many of you with all these prognostications i could turn out looking like an ass.
yes it's the first game of a new season with little time to prepare. hmmmm....just like every other team in the NFL.
holmgren looks like a genius today. i'm really trying to hold back with the anti-holmgren thing, because like many of you with all these prognostications i could turn out looking like an ass.
yes it's the first game of a new season with little time to prepare. hmmmm....just like every other team in the NFL.
Well dude every other team isn't working with an entirely different offensive and defensive system. Not every team is fielding as many young and inexperienced players. The Bengals are likely the closest to our situation as we'll see all season long. No off season killed us before we even got started. Now we could talk about what if's all season long or we can watch this team get better week after week. Will that always equate to a win...in this division...highly unlikely. Totally with the lack of discipline thing with all the penalties...however...we've got 15 more games to shore that up. This team will lose a lot of close games because of inexperience and it all being brand spanking new. I'd love to see them go 15-1 from here on in but I know that realistically...not going to happen. I don't even like to throw predictions out there because I'm not sure of the product we're getting. If I had something like I don't know a whole season to see what these new systems and players are all about...I'd have no problem giving a prediction or even sharpshooting every associate of this team. But since that's not the case I'm going to follow this team like I do every year and see where this wave a of change takes us. I'd like to see them take off from this point and not look back but we are at a huge disadvantage and we know it. Even the star studded teams lay eggs sometimes. Since we're not even close to being star studded we have to be that much better fundamentally. Once these young guys get better fundamentally...they're going to be dangerous. Not even because they're some talented group that all of a sudden morphed into what the Patriots (just an example) are. It'll be because they are paying attention to detail and executing with a fundamental first mindset.
-
holmgren looks like a genius today. i'm really trying to hold back with the anti-holmgren thing, because like many of you with all these prognostications i could turn out looking like an ass.
yes it's the first game of a new season with little time to prepare. hmmmm....just like every other team in the NFL.
Well dude every other team isn't working with an entirely different offensive and defensive system. Not every team is fielding as many young and inexperienced players. The Bengals are likely the closest to our situation as we'll see all season long. No off season killed us before we even got started. Now we could talk about what if's all season long or we can watch this team get better week after week. Will that always equate to a win...in this division...highly unlikely. Totally with the lack of discipline thing with all the penalties...however...we've got 15 more games to shore that up. This team will lose a lot of close games because of inexperience and it all being brand spanking new. I'd love to see them go 15-1 from here on in but I know that realistically...not going to happen. I don't even like to throw predictions out there because I'm not sure of the product we're getting. If I had something like I don't know a whole season to see what these new systems and players are all about...I'd have no problem giving a prediction or even sharpshooting every associate of this team. But since that's not the case I'm going to follow this team like I do every year and see where this wave a of change takes us. I'd like to see them take off from this point and not look back but we are at a huge disadvantage and we know it. Even the star studded teams lay eggs sometimes. Since we're not even close to being star studded we have to be that much better fundamentally. Once these young guys get better fundamentally...they're going to be dangerous. Not even because they're some talented group that all of a sudden morphed into what the Patriots (just an example) are. It'll be because they are paying attention to detail and executing with a fundamental first mindset.
Well dude every other team isn't working with an entirely different offensive and defensive system. Not every team is fielding as many young and inexperienced players. The Bengals are likely the closest to our situation as we'll see all season long. No off season killed us before we even got started. Now we could talk about what if's all season long or we can watch this team get better week after week. Will that always equate to a win...in this division...highly unlikely. Totally with the lack of discipline thing with all the penalties...however...we've got 15 more games to shore that up. This team will lose a lot of close games because of inexperience and it all being brand spanking new. I'd love to see them go 15-1 from here on in but I know that realistically...not going to happen. I don't even like to throw predictions out there because I'm not sure of the product we're getting. If I had something like I don't know a whole season to see what these new systems and players are all about...I'd have no problem giving a prediction or even sharpshooting every associate of this team. But since that's not the case I'm going to follow this team like I do every year and see where this wave a of change takes us. I'd like to see them take off from this point and not look back but we are at a huge disadvantage and we know it. Even the star studded teams lay eggs sometimes. Since we're not even close to being star studded we have to be that much better fundamentally. Once these young guys get better fundamentally...they're going to be dangerous. Not even because they're some talented group that all of a sudden morphed into what the Patriots (just an example) are. It'll be because they are paying attention to detail and executing with a fundamental first mindset.
i get it and agree 100%. the problem is, and i know no one wants to hear it is that this is what we've been being fed since '99. hell since the late 80's. now it's another evaluation year when last year was THE evaluation year? sure we've got 10-15 solid players on this team. maybe 10 would start on other nfl teams but what about the other 40 or so players? when do we get those guys? how do we get those guys while these other guys are still here?
i always follow this team and will continue til they pry the remote and budweiser from my cold dead hands. i have stated that this is only the first game under new system and blah, blah, blah but when does this regime have to stand tall and account for it's inability? does holmgren get a pass because he's MIKE HOLMGREN? who does he think he is, brett favre? wasn't everyone calling for brett favre to retire years and years before he did? just sayin.
the only one i'm confident in amongst this staff is heckert. everyone else i'm still 'evaluating'.
-
@king-ghoolie-lives said:
The Browns showed TREMENDOUS LINEAR IMPROVEMENT TODAY.
Of all the losers today, the announcers cannot stop talking about how the Browns STOLE THE SHOW by demonstrating their linear improvement.
Nope, the Browns looked like crap today. Man, those white uniforms sure intimidated the hell out of the Bengals.
-
Well dude every other team isn't working with an entirely different offensive and defensive system. Not every team is fielding as many young and inexperienced players. The Bengals are likely the closest to our situation as we'll see all season long. No off season killed us before we even got started. Now we could talk about what if's all season long or we can watch this team get better week after week. Will that always equate to a win...in this division...highly unlikely. Totally with the lack of discipline thing with all the penalties...however...we've got 15 more games to shore that up. This team will lose a lot of close games because of inexperience and it all being brand spanking new. I'd love to see them go 15-1 from here on in but I know that realistically...not going to happen. I don't even like to throw predictions out there because I'm not sure of the product we're getting. If I had something like I don't know a whole season to see what these new systems and players are all about...I'd have no problem giving a prediction or even sharpshooting every associate of this team. But since that's not the case I'm going to follow this team like I do every year and see where this wave a of change takes us. I'd like to see them take off from this point and not look back but we are at a huge disadvantage and we know it. Even the star studded teams lay eggs sometimes. Since we're not even close to being star studded we have to be that much better fundamentally. Once these young guys get better fundamentally...they're going to be dangerous. Not even because they're some talented group that all of a sudden morphed into what the Patriots (just an example) are. It'll be because they are paying attention to detail and executing with a fundamental first mindset.
i get it and agree 100%. the problem is, and i know no one wants to hear it is that this is what we've been being fed since '99. hell since the late 80's. now it's another evaluation year when last year was THE evaluation year? sure we've got 10-15 solid players on this team. maybe 10 would start on other nfl teams but what about the other 40 or so players? when do we get those guys? how do we get those guys while these other guys are still here?
i always follow this team and will continue til they pry the remote and budweiser from my cold dead hands. i have stated that this is only the first game under new system and blah, blah, blah but when does this regime have to stand tall and account for it's inability? does holmgren get a pass because he's MIKE HOLMGREN? who does he think he is, brett favre? wasn't everyone calling for brett favre to retire years and years before he did? just sayin.
the only one i'm confident in amongst this staff is heckert. everyone else i'm still 'evaluating'.
i get it and agree 100%. the problem is, and i know no one wants to hear it is that this is what we've been being fed since '99. hell since the late 80's. now it's another evaluation year when last year was THE evaluation year? sure we've got 10-15 solid players on this team. maybe 10 would start on other nfl teams but what about the other 40 or so players? when do we get those guys? how do we get those guys while these other guys are still here?
i always follow this team and will continue til they pry the remote and budweiser from my cold dead hands. i have stated that this is only the first game under new system and blah, blah, blah but when does this regime have to stand tall and account for it's inability? does holmgren get a pass because he's MIKE HOLMGREN? who does he think he is, brett favre? wasn't everyone calling for brett favre to retire years and years before he did? just sayin.
the only one i'm confident in amongst this staff is heckert. everyone else i'm still 'evaluating'.
Hate to be the bearer of more bad news but it's going to take continuity of some kind. This whole reshuffling thing hasn't exactly been a recipe for success either. However this is where we're headed if we don't bear down and tinker around some. We can bring in the most dynamic talents and or Front Office but if the players do not go out and execute it's all for nothing. I'm pointing out that this is all brand spanking new. No more no less. Holmgren is in charge and needs to stay in charge until this team rights itself. Reshuffling front offices and coaching staffs has lead to zero success...we can all agree with that. Those that don't just refer to the last 10 years of suck...and maybe you'll get a clearer idea of what I'm talking about. To come out of the cellar...it takes years...and yes it's more than 3 or 4. That is the reality of the situation. Now can this team climb out of the cellar in a smaller window...that remains to be seen. From a realistic standpoint...I don't see it happening until year three into this latest change. Can it happen faster than that..possibly with great drafting...emergence of players already on the team...and some good fortune.
-
has any one staff been allowed to have the time to have their plan/scheme/system come to fruition since the lerners bought the team?
it used to be that coaches were allowed their '5 year plan'. now that's a joke.
i liked what i saw of our coaching staff last year minus daboll, but even the losing then wasn't all on him. teams need a chance to build and grow.
so for now let's go shurmur and the browns! yippee (once again)!!
-
has any one staff been allowed to have the time to have their plan/scheme/system come to fruition since the lerners bought the team?
it used to be that coaches were allowed their '5 year plan'. now that's a joke.
i liked what i saw of our coaching staff last year minus daboll, but even the losing then wasn't all on him. teams need a chance to build and grow.
so for now let's go shurmur and the browns! yippee (once again)!!
has any one staff been allowed to have the time to have their plan/scheme/system come to fruition since the lerners bought the team?
it used to be that coaches were allowed their '5 year plan'. now that's a joke.
i liked what i saw of our coaching staff last year minus daboll, but even the losing then wasn't all on him. teams need a chance to build and grow.
so for now let's go shurmur and the browns! yippee (once again)!!
Mangini's teams fell apart when games mattered the most last year. Even if they looked competitive doing so, they lost - flat out.
Shurmur looked incredibly inept in his playcalling yesterday. Our defense fell asleep under Jauron's watch and Benson essentially walked 40 yards at the end of the game.
This is going to be a very long season.
-
Blame Haden if you want on that TD catch because it is his fault, but NO ONE on the defense was ready and the WR was 20 yards wide open on the other side of the field as well. Besides that fact that our most of our O-Line minus Mack looked like a pile of shit I think the person I was most disappointed in was Ward. Was 20 yards out of position on Bensons TD run and got burnt in coverage all day.
Jackson played extremely well, both Phil Taylor and Rubin played very well, I think Sheard is still showing improvement, MoMass showed some stuff, Hardesty and Hillis did well considering that shitty blocking, McCoy was good when he could get some protection, Joe Haden minus that one play had a all pro caliber day. Considering all of that it doesn't matter when you end up shitting down your leg and losing to one of the worst football teams in the NFL. The shittiest part was that I think the coaching schemes were good, the players lost this one. If I were Shurmer I would run make them all run a lap for every single penalty flag and I would make them do it as a team. Mangini might not have been a great coach but he had the right idea when it came to punishing players for mistakes and it worked, 3rd fewest penalties called the last two seasons. That shit is embarrassing and Shurmer should be pissed.
Hillis-iz-Boss said:
Blame Haden if you want on that TD catch because it is his fault, but NO ONE on the defense was ready and the WR was 20 yards wide open on the other side of the field as well. Besides that fact that our most of our O-Line minus Mack looked like a pile of shit I think the person I was most disappointed in was Ward. Was 20 yards out of position on Bensons TD run and got burnt in coverage all day.
Jackson played extremely well, both Phil Taylor and Rubin played very well, I think Sheard is still showing improvement, MoMass showed some stuff, Hardesty and Hillis did well considering that shitty blocking, McCoy was good when he could get some protection, Joe Haden minus that one play had a all pro caliber day. Considering all of that it doesn't matter when you end up shitting down your leg and losing to one of the worst football teams in the NFL. The shittiest part was that I think the coaching schemes were good, the players lost this one. If I were Shurmer I would run make them all run a lap for every single penalty flag and I would make them do it as a team. Mangini might not have been a great coach but he had the right idea when it came to punishing players for mistakes and it worked, 3rd fewest penalties called the last two seasons. That shit is embarrassing and Shurmer should be pissed.
I agree 100%. I hadn't been a DQ fan in the past, but he looks outstanding in the middle!
You are correct. The on field leader(s) of our D are at fault for not being set. The shame is that Joe Haden (if you saw his face afterward) placed 100% blame on himself & it shouldn't be. That kid played as fine a game as I have EVER seen a CB play. He gave NO cushion & plays with a pride that I PRAY is contagious.
There were a lot of positives, but there are two players I have issues with....McGee & Brown. McGee is far too inconsistent & Brown simply is NOT able to cover anymore. He can still hit, so why not use him as a backup safety? I think he's toast as a CB.
Once the Browns took the 14-13 lead, I felt pretty good. Then we were 1st & goal at the 6 yard line & ended up with a field goal. THAT changed the tone of the remainder of the game. We need to learn how to "put games away".
Bottom line is that, given on field execution, we win.
I'm certainly not ready to give up....There is a lot to look forward to in Cleveland.
Mike
-
Hillis-iz-Boss said:
Blame Haden if you want on that TD catch because it is his fault, but NO ONE on the defense was ready and the WR was 20 yards wide open on the other side of the field as well. Besides that fact that our most of our O-Line minus Mack looked like a pile of shit I think the person I was most disappointed in was Ward. Was 20 yards out of position on Bensons TD run and got burnt in coverage all day.
Jackson played extremely well, both Phil Taylor and Rubin played very well, I think Sheard is still showing improvement, MoMass showed some stuff, Hardesty and Hillis did well considering that shitty blocking, McCoy was good when he could get some protection, Joe Haden minus that one play had a all pro caliber day. Considering all of that it doesn't matter when you end up shitting down your leg and losing to one of the worst football teams in the NFL. The shittiest part was that I think the coaching schemes were good, the players lost this one. If I were Shurmer I would run make them all run a lap for every single penalty flag and I would make them do it as a team. Mangini might not have been a great coach but he had the right idea when it came to punishing players for mistakes and it worked, 3rd fewest penalties called the last two seasons. That shit is embarrassing and Shurmer should be pissed.
I agree 100%. I hadn't been a DQ fan in the past, but he looks outstanding in the middle!
You are correct. The on field leader(s) of our D are at fault for not being set. The shame is that Joe Haden (if you saw his face afterward) placed 100% blame on himself & it shouldn't be. That kid played as fine a game as I have EVER seen a CB play. He gave NO cushion & plays with a pride that I PRAY is contagious.
There were a lot of positives, but there are two players I have issues with....McGee & Brown. McGee is far too inconsistent & Brown simply is NOT able to cover anymore. He can still hit, so why not use him as a backup safety? I think he's toast as a CB.
Once the Browns took the 14-13 lead, I felt pretty good. Then we were 1st & goal at the 6 yard line & ended up with a field goal. THAT changed the tone of the remainder of the game. We need to learn how to "put games away".
Bottom line is that, given on field execution, we win.
I'm certainly not ready to give up....There is a lot to look forward to in Cleveland.
Mike
I agree 100%. I hadn't been a DQ fan in the past, but he looks outstanding in the middle!
You are correct. The on field leader(s) of our D are at fault for not being set. The shame is that Joe Haden (if you saw his face afterward) placed 100% blame on himself & it shouldn't be. That kid played as fine a game as I have EVER seen a CB play. He gave NO cushion & plays with a pride that I PRAY is contagious.
There were a lot of positives, but there are two players I have issues with....McGee & Brown. McGee is far too inconsistent & Brown simply is NOT able to cover anymore. He can still hit, so why not use him as a backup safety? I think he's toast as a CB.
Once the Browns took the 14-13 lead, I felt pretty good. Then we were 1st & goal at the 6 yard line & ended up with a field goal. THAT changed the tone of the remainder of the game. We need to learn how to "put games away".
Bottom line is that, given on field execution, we win.
I'm certainly not ready to give up....There is a lot to look forward to in Cleveland.
Mike
Mike, once again you add a lot of substance in your posts and show that you are looking at the game as a whole. There were a couple of positives yesterday to build on and I think we showed promise believe it or not. No sense in dwelling on wouldas and couldas. Let's look forward to Indy.
-
I agree 100%. I hadn't been a DQ fan in the past, but he looks outstanding in the middle!
You are correct. The on field leader(s) of our D are at fault for not being set. The shame is that Joe Haden (if you saw his face afterward) placed 100% blame on himself & it shouldn't be. That kid played as fine a game as I have EVER seen a CB play. He gave NO cushion & plays with a pride that I PRAY is contagious.
There were a lot of positives, but there are two players I have issues with....McGee & Brown. McGee is far too inconsistent & Brown simply is NOT able to cover anymore. He can still hit, so why not use him as a backup safety? I think he's toast as a CB.
Once the Browns took the 14-13 lead, I felt pretty good. Then we were 1st & goal at the 6 yard line & ended up with a field goal. THAT changed the tone of the remainder of the game. We need to learn how to "put games away".
Bottom line is that, given on field execution, we win.
I'm certainly not ready to give up....There is a lot to look forward to in Cleveland.
Mike
Mike, once again you add a lot of substance in your posts and show that you are looking at the game as a whole. There were a couple of positives yesterday to build on and I think we showed promise believe it or not. No sense in dwelling on wouldas and couldas. Let's look forward to Indy.
No sense in dwelling on wouldas and couldas. Let's look forward to Indy.
Thanks for the kind words. Your words say it best. There is nothing we can say now that can change yesterday. We just need to learn from every yesterday & make every tomorrow better.
Mike
-
No sense in dwelling on wouldas and couldas. Let's look forward to Indy.
Thanks for the kind words. Your words say it best. There is nothing we can say now that can change yesterday. We just need to learn from every yesterday & make every tomorrow better.
Mike
Thanks for the kind words. Your words say it best. There is nothing we can say now that can change yesterday. We just need to learn from every yesterday & make every tomorrow better.
Mike
What I learned from yesterday was the Browns have a real good chance of joining the Lions as the only teams to go 0-16. Hopefully with all the tomorrows between now and Sunday I'll stop being such a debbie downer... woooo woooo woooooo
FYI - I'm only joking, i think we can at least win 2 games.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login