Skip to content

Underclassmen declaring

The Browns Board
65 16 4.2k
  • where do you guys see harvin lining up in the league? i think he'd split time between the slot and tailback and also be some team's single-wing guy, making his versatility valuable as well as unpredictable, sort of like reggie bush with talent.

    @jewdago said:

    sort of like reggie bush with talent.

    I can understand why you might hate Bush, as he's oft-injured, not a prototypical NFL RB, and dates a vapid slut, but that's just a dumb comment.

  • This play sucked.

  • for all his college exploits, bush hasn't done shit in the NFL aside from getting destroyed by sheldon brown. yes, saying he has no talent was definitely an overstatement, but he's really done very little in his career, especially when you compare it to what people thought he would do after leaving USC.

    my point was that harvin might be a more effective, but similar player.

  • for all his college exploits, bush hasn't done shit in the NFL aside from getting destroyed by sheldon brown. yes, saying he has no talent was definitely an overstatement, but he's really done very little in his career, especially when you compare it to what people thought he would do after leaving USC.

    my point was that harvin might be a more effective, but similar player.

    JD, I figured you were saying that for effect...well I was hoping...

    @jewdago said:

    my point was that harvin might be a more effective, but similar player.

    Harvin is very very talented, without a doubt. I think Bush is the better pure talent though, and this is taking nothing away from Percy.

    The key for these not-so-prototypical/unique guys like Harvin and Bush is to get creative with their usage. Running Bush inside the tackles 15 times per game is not what I'm talking about, Sean Payton. I realize they try to get him the ball in creative ways, but they need to try harder. Whomever drafts Harvin must do the same.

    I wish we were good enough at more positions to be in the market for a luxury item like Harvin. Us drafting him is like a homeless dude leasing a Ferrari.

  • I agree with the Reggie Bush (only better) comparison. It helps that Harvin has some experience at receiver. Neither guy's going to be good running between the tackles in the NFL, so sticking the guy at RB makes little sense.

    Here's some more underclassmen info:

    USC football: Sanchez’s dad — ‘It’s what Mark wants to do’

    Just got off the phone with USC quarterback Mark Sanchez’s father, Nick, who said his son is still undecided regarding his future.

    The family continues to gather information, but Nick Sanchez said they haven’t unearthed anything “really compelling that says this is what he really should do or not do.”

    Tossing all the variables aside, Nick said the bottom line is this: “It’s what Mark wants to do.”

    “And we haven’t gotten to that place yet,” Nick Sanchez said. “We’ll see what happens in the next couple days.”

    When I reminded him that time is running out, he said: “But we’re not out of time.”

    The deadline is Jan. 15.

    Nick said Mark returned to class today, along with the rest of USC’s students. Father and son chatted last night, but the conversation wasn’t restricted to the NFL draft decision — the last thing Nick wants to do as a dad, he said, is belabor the point.

    Nick said part of the reason the decision is so difficult is that both options are appealing.

    “You can make a good argument either way,” he said. “It’s one of those things, there’s no downside.”

  • JD, I figured you were saying that for effect...well I was hoping...

    @jewdago said:

    my point was that harvin might be a more effective, but similar player.

    Harvin is very very talented, without a doubt. I think Bush is the better pure talent though, and this is taking nothing away from Percy.

    The key for these not-so-prototypical/unique guys like Harvin and Bush is to get creative with their usage. Running Bush inside the tackles 15 times per game is not what I'm talking about, Sean Payton. I realize they try to get him the ball in creative ways, but they need to try harder. Whomever drafts Harvin must do the same.

    I wish we were good enough at more positions to be in the market for a luxury item like Harvin. Us drafting him is like a homeless dude leasing a Ferrari.

    mz. said:

    JD, I figured you were saying that for effect...well I was hoping...

    Harvin is very very talented, without a doubt. I think Bush is the better pure talent though, and this is taking nothing away from Percy.

    The key for these not-so-prototypical/unique guys like Harvin and Bush is to get creative with their usage. Running Bush inside the tackles 15 times per game is not what I'm talking about, Sean Payton. I realize they try to get him the ball in creative ways, but they need to try harder. Whomever drafts Harvin must do the same.

    I wish we were good enough at more positions to be in the market for a luxury item like Harvin. Us drafting him is like a homeless dude leasing a Ferrari.

    i was saying it for effect, but when everyone took it as a serious statement, i had to treat it as such to try and get some serious discussion on harvin going.

    i agree that there's no point in us drafting him, but his skill set is intriguing, and there are a growing number of players who have similar skills but no real position: harvin, bush, pat white, devin hester, cribbs.

    bubble screens and end arounds can't be the answer; i think good plays for them are swing passes out of the backfield, or, better yet, a pseudo-screen that looks like a checkdown in the middle of the field, out of shotgun sets with the receivers clearing space. it's like setting up another punt return, in a way. the receivers clear out the defense and, once bush/harvin/white/hester/cribbs catches it underneath, he's got enough open field to use his blockers like a punt return.

    it just seems like the traditional passing and running games don't really take advantage of these guys' strengths because they don't allow them enough room to work with.

  • I agree with your ideas RE: usage. And of the guys you mentioned (Bush, Harvin, White, Hester, Cribbs), I hate to say but Cribbs is the least versatile of the crew, though I have no idea what White will look like as an NFL receiver. Bush, Harvin, and Hester, and I'm suspecting White, are just better pure athletes, to me, than Cribbs is. Not that I don't appreciate what a guy like that can do for us.

    To me, Harvin is like a Hester with hands.

  • Pitt RB Lesean McCoy said he needs more time to decide and may wait until Thursday's deadline to make his final decision.

  • Zombo said:

    I like him a lot.

    But then again, I wanted Adrian Peterson ... what do I know?

    Zombo

    His family got the draft report on him and it stated he would be a 1st or high 2nd round pick and they feel with a strong combine he will go in the first.

    @wvbrownsfan said:

    His family got the draft report on him and it stated he would be a 1st or high 2nd round pick and they feel with a strong combine he will go in the first.

    I can't believe this kid would fall to #37. Size, fast as heck. He's got to be a first rounder. If he did fall that far the Browns better snatch him up!

    I could really see the Eagles grabbing him in the first round if Moreno is gone. They need RB help badly as Westbrook is 30 in September.

  • Mississippi defensive end Greg Hardy is expected to confirm as early as Tuesday that he will enter the NFL draft, a person close to Hardy said.

    Hardy had 9.5 tackles for loss, including 8.5 sacks, in only eight games this season. The 6-foot-4, 265-pound junior had 10 sacks as a sophomore and is considered one of the top pass rush specialists in the upcoming draft by Scouts, Inc.

    Hardy, of Millington, Tenn., is rated as the No. 30 overall player by Scouts Inc.

    When healthy & focused, this guy is a freak of nature. Character issues should push him into Round 2, where he could end up being a steal. Unfortunately, I don't think he's a good scheme fit for us.

  • From a Scott Wolf's Inside USC blog:

    There's a lot of buzz going around at USC that quarterback Mark Sanchez will announce he is going pro.

    Taylor Mays said he is not sure what Mark Sanchez will decide but added, "If Mark leaves I'll play quarterback and we can run the spread."

  • Mississippi defensive end Greg Hardy is expected to confirm as early as Tuesday that he will enter the NFL draft, a person close to Hardy said.

    Hardy had 9.5 tackles for loss, including 8.5 sacks, in only eight games this season. The 6-foot-4, 265-pound junior had 10 sacks as a sophomore and is considered one of the top pass rush specialists in the upcoming draft by Scouts, Inc.

    Hardy, of Millington, Tenn., is rated as the No. 30 overall player by Scouts Inc.

    When healthy & focused, this guy is a freak of nature. Character issues should push him into Round 2, where he could end up being a steal. Unfortunately, I don't think he's a good scheme fit for us.

    Aloysius said:

    When healthy & focused, [Hardy] is a freak of nature. Character issues should push him into Round 2, where he could end up being a steal. Unfortunately, I don't think he's a good scheme fit for us.

    He's very light (265), so he couldn't be a 3-4 DE, but rather a lightish 4-3 DE, like a Robert Mathis, right???

    I really thinking we should switch to a 4-3...it fits our current talent and I hate hearing how all of these talented players don't "fit our scheme." 🙂

  • Ball State QB Nate Davis (Bellaire, Ohio) is entering the draft. Hope he does well in the pros, he's a local kid that played high school ball about 15 minutes south of where I live.

  • I'm interested to see whether Davis's learning disability causes him to slide on draft day. IIRC, Davis admitted that he struggled absorbing Ball State's playbook because of his LD. That, along with his height (6'1"), could push him down to mid-Day Two.

    Here's a report about another QB prospect considering turning pro:

    USC quarterback Sanchez 'torn' on pending decision

    By Scott Wolf

    USC quarterback Mark Sanchez has not announced a decision on his future, but several sources said Tuesday he has expressed a desire to skip his senior season and go pro as Thursday's deadline to declare for the NFL draft neared.

    "I think he's really torn," safety Taylor Mays said of Sanchez. "He's gone back and forth. I told him regardless of what he does, he's a friend and I support him."

    Sanchez is believed to be leaning toward going pro because Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford might return for his junior season.

  • LeSean McCoy's turning pro, making this RB class even deeper.

  • Eric Norwood is coming back for his senior season

  • Yeah, I'm not happy about that.

    Some more news (from rotoworld😞

    ESPNews reports that Sam Bradford is expected to announce at 5:30ET that he will return to Oklahoma for his redshirt junior year.

    We'll find out in a half hour. There was a report prior to the Sooners' BCS title loss that Bradford would leave school "barring a knee injury."

  • Alo, this coincides with what ESPN was saying about Sanchez about to declare.

    Sanchez would be stupid to stay at this point; now he's sure to be the #2 QB off the board, at worst.

  • Oklahoma TE Jermaine Gresham is staying in school, too. Guess we'll have to see OU get worked by UF again next year. 🙂

  • Wow. Gresham likely was a top 15 pick. In my (tentative) mock, I had him going to the Bills at 11.