Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. Warrior Review

Warrior Review

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
1 Posts 1 Posters 371 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Warrior

    Lionsgate

    PG 13 139 min

    A couple thoughts before I get on to the movie…

    First of all boxing (and baseball) is the perfect sport for a film. It’s that man to man showdown pitting one against another and the history that runs through the fabric of American history that makes it all seem magic.

    Two, Sylvester Stallone and ROCKY have set that bar pretty damn high. It’s impossible not to draw comparisons to the modern day classic.

    Three, yes I understand that this ultimate martial arts thing is a real sport and the participants are world class athletes, but at the risk of offending the fans, but like surfing or skateboarding, I just can’t take it seriously. Sorry. Still it’s close enough to work in a similar situation.

    Anyway I had high expectations for this one for a few reasons. There’s the subject matter featuring three tales of redemption, the underdog thread and a serious role for old favorite Nick Nolte. Oh and these guys are Irish; a sure way to a Mick’s heart.

    So this is a class production, serious and well-acted and it . has a great gritty look and feel. I should have loved it and I’m almost embarrassed to admit I didn’t.

    Actually I think the entire production lacks charisma. I never felt the bond with any of the three main characters like I (and the world) did with Stallone’s Rocky Balboa.

    Those characters are two estranged brothers and father Brendan, Tommy and Paddy Conley ( Joel Edgerton, Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte) who are to be thrown together in a lucrative fight tournament.

    Brendan is a schoolteacher up against financial hardship, Tommy a heroic yet AWOL marine and Paddy a recovering drunk who abandoned his family years ago.

    From the outset I was uncomfortable with the family dynamic.

    Why, given the deep seated animosity would Tommy ask the old man to train him for the tourney and then proceed to resist him the entire time? Not to mention that Paddy really seemed to have no input as to the training, or at least not enough to warrant his inclusion. The reasons for the vitriol (like most of the background story) weren’t set up to my satisfaction. We know them but they were under dramatized as I see it.

    For example two guys who haven’t participated in this style of fighting sail through the world class lineup of competitors.

    With the exception of one scene in which Nolte falls off the wagon, the acting is underplayed, assumedly to add to the veneer of realism. Since Edgerton and Hardy are relative unknowns it was harder to empathize with either.

    Of course I overlooked a few of the clichés (Brendan’s wife’s opposition and later epiphany) since, as they say, there’s nothing really new under the sun.

    WARRIOR fell a little short of my expectations but should be a hit with the post ROCKY audiences.

    C+

    WSS

    Email [email protected]

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply

    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

    With your input, this post could be even better 💗

    Register Login
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes


    Theme
    • System
    • Light
    • Dark
    The Browns Board Terms Privacy

    The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

    • First post
      Last post
    0
    • Forums
    • Recent
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Donate