Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. Drive Review

Drive Review

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
4 Posts 3 Posters 764 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Drive

    Film District

    R 100 min

    Yes I realize this one’s been out for a while, so I won’t spend a lot of time non it but I’d written it off initially and it seems that was unfair.

    It’s been out for a month and technically still in theaters but I assume it will be on DVD soon enough so here goes.

    At first glance I’d figured this on to be another of those miserable noisy car chase and crash flicks with a dash of James Caan’s THIEF as the hook. Well both those elements are present but it seems director Nicolas Winding Refn (huh?) has tried to make an art film. Or art lite.

    To me that often means sullen characters and deadly slow pacing interspersed with brief scenes of ultra-violence often shot in Peckinpah-esque slow motion.

    Ryan Gosling is a stunt driver who is fond of a woman and her son whose husband is about to be released from prison. Hubby owes the mob money and they want him to commit a robbery to make it square.

    When the wife and kid become targets for this extortion Gosling helps execute the crime which almost immediately goes south. I never really bought Gosling as the tough anti-hero nor Albert Brooks as the evil crime boss. I was never really clear on the dynamic amongst the mobsters or even Goslings bond with the family. Despite the numerous revenge killings you’re left with almost no sense of closure. I guess that’s how the Europeans like their films, but I (and most Americans) prefer to see somebody win.

    C

    WSS

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
      • 57k Posts
      • 4k Reputation
      The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Right Steve, that is what we said. This was an attempt at making "Fellini meets Peckinpaugh".

      Something that at one pace was numbingly lugubrious, then furtively gross. Maybe Fellini isn't the right reference, but who knows.

      (are those good pretentious critic terms?)

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • JPPT1974 JPPT1974J Reacting Well Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 372 Posts
        • 51 Reputation
        JPPT1974J JPPT1974 wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Critics love it. As I found it ok. If you are a fan of Ryan Gosling. He is a good actor but Albert Brooks is getting Oscar buzz talk.

        School and Solar Eclipse
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
          • 39k Posts
          • 9k Reputation
          W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
          #4

          Well you guys are right about that. Whether it's Fellini or Bergman or any other european film maker we all know that the guys across the pond like their movies differently than we do here in the good old u s of a.

          The europeans seem to just love those miserable sad endings.

          Usually if hollywood makes an american version of something from europe, we will at least change the ending as to where the bad guy gets blown up. Sometimes american director, like clint eastwood, will mess around with that formula as he did with THE UNFORGIVEN.

          I loved that one by the way. Drive wasn't even in the same ballpark. And though I have nothing particularly against ryan gosling, I'll just need to see a couple of great performances from the kid before I put him on my a list.

          WSS

          www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply

          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

          Register Login
          Reply
          • Reply as topic
          Log in to reply
          • Oldest to Newest
          • Newest to Oldest
          • Most Votes


          Theme
          • System
          • Light
          • Dark
          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

          • First post
            Last post
          0
          • Forums
          • Recent
          • Popular
          • Users
          • Donate