Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Quaterback Questions

Quaterback Questions

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
10 Posts 6 Posters 889 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Mark O Mark OM Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 6k Posts
    • 1k Reputation
    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Is Green Bay Backup Matt Flynn The Wild-Card Factor?

    The draft is never the only source of starting quarterback options, of course. Next year's Kevin Kolb might well be Packers backup Matt Flynn, the fourth-year former LSU starter who was a seventh-round pick in 2008. Flynn played fairly well in a two-game relief stint of the injured Aaron Rodgers late last year, just before the start of the playoffs, and he now has the imprint of the Packers' Super Bowl success attached to his name.

    Dilfer makes a compelling case for how some teams in the market for a new starting option might find Flynn their most attractive candidate.

    "The big wrench in the whole quarterback market could be Matt Flynn,'' Dilfer said. "What happens when a superstar quarterback like Aaron Rodgers has a signature year with a signature coaching staff, and all the offensive coaches on that team then start finally getting their due? In that situation, the backup quarterback sometimes all of a sudden becomes a prized commodity. Especially when Aaron, one of his best friends, starts telling everybody, 'This dude can play. He's just like me when I was a backup for Brett Favre. He does all the same things I did when I was a backup.'

    "He's kind of like an Aaron Rodgers clone the same way Rodgers looked a little like a Favre clone, and the way Matt Hasselbeck in Green Bay looked like a Favre clone. His value is going to be off the charts for some teams. They may not evaluate all the college quarterbacks and say, 'Okay, what's the easy fix? Matt Flynn, let's go get him. Because we'll coach him just like he was coached in Green Bay.' They may or may not do that, but he'll be a player in this thing, in this market.''

    Two scenarios that sound plausible in terms of Flynn are Cleveland and Miami. Browns football czar Mike Holmgren may not think he has the time or inclination to go the rookie quarterback development route again, and that's where Flynn's experience level becomes more attractive. Even as strong competition for McCoy, Flynn might fit well in Cleveland.

    As for the Dolphins, perhaps they win their way out of the draft position to land Barkley or Jones, and Flynn becomes their fallback plan. If Miami fires head coach Tony Sparano as expected, someone off Mike McCarthy's staff in Green Bay could get interviewed, given that the Packers' program is the current NFL gold standard. Maybe quarterbacks coach Tom Clements or offensive coordinator Joe Philbin is the next Dolphins head coach, and Flynn becomes a viable starting alternative in Miami. That's the way the NFL often works.

    Who Else Might Be Facing A Quarterback Question?

    Reading the current tea leaves, here's how we see the rest of the quarterback issues around the league, besides those teams we've already mentioned:

    • Cleveland -- The Browns don't seem convinced Colt McCoy is their long-term answer at the position, but it's also not likely Holmgren would go shopping in the first round for another quarterback. Holmgren is a big believer in the idea that you can find QB talent in the second or third round, without paying a first-round premium at the position.

    How McCoy ends his second season in Cleveland could play a significant factor in the Browns' plans, but if the above-mentioned pursuit of Flynn doesn't materialize, the most likely scenario would be for Holmgren to zero in on the second tier of prospects, such as Cousins, Griffin, Tannehill or Lindley.

    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/11/17/qb.questions/index.html#ixzz1e1x2CtJf

    1 Reply Last reply
    👍
    Quote Reply
    • nickers nickersN Conversation Starter Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
      • 14k Posts
      • 5k Reputation
      nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Awesome post Mark O

      Nickers...."There are no old running QB's in the NFL "~Sam Rutigliano~
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Tim Couch Pulls Out Tim Couch Pulls OutT Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 8k Posts
        • 1k Reputation
        Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
        #3

        My friend and I have been joking about this for the last couple months. It may actually come to fruition.

        I would love that.

        I'm awesome, and I fuck dolphins. Ghoolie 12/2/2012: I have absolutely no skills, training or pride
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 9k Posts
          • 2k Reputation
          ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Nice read.

          I also think going after a established player might be the route we take. I hadn't thought about Flynn, but it is a possibility. I too feel Homey isn't totally sure he has enough time to bring in a rook and wait for him to make the college to pro transition.

          I don't know what it would cost, but would assume it would cost us a #1 pick.

          I don't think we would give GB our 1st pick, but maybe the pick we hold from Atlanta?

          To me that seems a bit high, but much would depend on what Miami would be offering if indeed they get in to the bidding process.

          The next few months will tell us a great deal about our prospects as a team heading in to the near and distant future. I hope we find a way to secure both.

          Nobody wants to forsake the long term for immediate results, but the dismal last few seasons dictate we do make immediate improvements.

          Next year is Holmgrens 3rd season. I'd say 6 wins is the absolute minimum, and really, it is probably 7 wins or he is out the door.

          If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
          Tim Couch Pulls OutT 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • BrownIndian BrownIndianB
            • 2k Posts
            • 39 Reputation
            BrownIndianB BrownIndian wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Again seems interesting. But wht is the asking price ?

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • ballpeenB ballpeen

              Nice read.

              I also think going after a established player might be the route we take. I hadn't thought about Flynn, but it is a possibility. I too feel Homey isn't totally sure he has enough time to bring in a rook and wait for him to make the college to pro transition.

              I don't know what it would cost, but would assume it would cost us a #1 pick.

              I don't think we would give GB our 1st pick, but maybe the pick we hold from Atlanta?

              To me that seems a bit high, but much would depend on what Miami would be offering if indeed they get in to the bidding process.

              The next few months will tell us a great deal about our prospects as a team heading in to the near and distant future. I hope we find a way to secure both.

              Nobody wants to forsake the long term for immediate results, but the dismal last few seasons dictate we do make immediate improvements.

              Next year is Holmgrens 3rd season. I'd say 6 wins is the absolute minimum, and really, it is probably 7 wins or he is out the door.

              Tim Couch Pulls Out Tim Couch Pulls OutT Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 8k Posts
              • 1k Reputation
              Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @ballpeen said:

              Nice read.

              I also think going after a established player might be the route we take. I hadn't thought about Flynn, but it is a possibility. I too feel Homey isn't totally sure he has enough time to bring in a rook and wait for him to make the college to pro transition.

              I don't know what it would cost, but would assume it would cost us a #1 pick.

              I don't think we would give GB our 1st pick, but maybe the pick we hold from Atlanta?

              To me that seems a bit high, but much would depend on what Miami would be offering if indeed they get in to the bidding process.

              The next few months will tell us a great deal about our prospects as a team heading in to the near and distant future. I hope we find a way to secure both.

              Nobody wants to forsake the long term for immediate results, but the dismal last few seasons dictate we do make immediate improvements.

              Next year is Holmgrens 3rd season. I'd say 6 wins is the absolute minimum, and really, it is probably 7 wins or he is out the door.

              Flynn's contract is up this year. He's already gone on record saying he wants to test the market and find a place where he'll start...because he'll never start over Rodgers. Not in a douchebaggy way though, he's been nothing but thankful to GB in his comments, which makes me think he's a stand-up guy. Rodgers has endorsed Flynn relentlessly this season it seems.

              It makes so much sense that I'm sure it won't happen.

              I'm awesome, and I fuck dolphins. Ghoolie 12/2/2012: I have absolutely no skills, training or pride
              The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out

                @ballpeen said:

                Nice read.

                I also think going after a established player might be the route we take. I hadn't thought about Flynn, but it is a possibility. I too feel Homey isn't totally sure he has enough time to bring in a rook and wait for him to make the college to pro transition.

                I don't know what it would cost, but would assume it would cost us a #1 pick.

                I don't think we would give GB our 1st pick, but maybe the pick we hold from Atlanta?

                To me that seems a bit high, but much would depend on what Miami would be offering if indeed they get in to the bidding process.

                The next few months will tell us a great deal about our prospects as a team heading in to the near and distant future. I hope we find a way to secure both.

                Nobody wants to forsake the long term for immediate results, but the dismal last few seasons dictate we do make immediate improvements.

                Next year is Holmgrens 3rd season. I'd say 6 wins is the absolute minimum, and really, it is probably 7 wins or he is out the door.

                Flynn's contract is up this year. He's already gone on record saying he wants to test the market and find a place where he'll start...because he'll never start over Rodgers. Not in a douchebaggy way though, he's been nothing but thankful to GB in his comments, which makes me think he's a stand-up guy. Rodgers has endorsed Flynn relentlessly this season it seems.

                It makes so much sense that I'm sure it won't happen.

                The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                • 57k Posts
                • 4k Reputation
                The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

                Flynn's contract is up this year. He's already gone on record saying he wants to test the market and find a place where he'll start...because he'll never start over Rodgers. Not in a douchebaggy way though, he's been nothing but thankful to GB in his comments, which makes me think he's a stand-up guy. Rodgers has endorsed Flynn relentlessly this season it seems.

                It makes so much sense that I'm sure it won't happen.

                If you want him, better to get him as a FA rather than give up draft picks.

                Tim Couch Pulls OutT 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • The GipperT The Gipper

                  @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

                  Flynn's contract is up this year. He's already gone on record saying he wants to test the market and find a place where he'll start...because he'll never start over Rodgers. Not in a douchebaggy way though, he's been nothing but thankful to GB in his comments, which makes me think he's a stand-up guy. Rodgers has endorsed Flynn relentlessly this season it seems.

                  It makes so much sense that I'm sure it won't happen.

                  If you want him, better to get him as a FA rather than give up draft picks.

                  Tim Couch Pulls Out Tim Couch Pulls OutT Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 8k Posts
                  • 1k Reputation
                  Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @the-gipper said:

                  If you want him, better to get him as a FA rather than give up draft picks.

                  That's what I'm saying. There's no trading of picks involved, it's past the deadline for this year and his contract expires in the offseason. We've got the cap room, Holmgren supposedly feels McCoy isn't the answer, and is probably feeling a slight bit of pressure, so why not take a shot at Flynn. He's learned in the McCarthy WC-ish offense. He's been picking up tips from a future HOF-er. Everybody is singing his praises in GB. He's got experience in the NFL, and is still very young. We're not in position for Luck or Barkley. Jones is still an unknown. RG3 is not a fit for the WCO, neither are most of the other QB's in this QB heavy draft.

                  Take a shot at Flynn in the offseason, have him battle with Colt for the starting job, draft a QB in the fourth, and see what happens.

                  It makes too much sense. There's no way it happens.

                  I'm awesome, and I fuck dolphins. Ghoolie 12/2/2012: I have absolutely no skills, training or pride
                  The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out

                    @the-gipper said:

                    If you want him, better to get him as a FA rather than give up draft picks.

                    That's what I'm saying. There's no trading of picks involved, it's past the deadline for this year and his contract expires in the offseason. We've got the cap room, Holmgren supposedly feels McCoy isn't the answer, and is probably feeling a slight bit of pressure, so why not take a shot at Flynn. He's learned in the McCarthy WC-ish offense. He's been picking up tips from a future HOF-er. Everybody is singing his praises in GB. He's got experience in the NFL, and is still very young. We're not in position for Luck or Barkley. Jones is still an unknown. RG3 is not a fit for the WCO, neither are most of the other QB's in this QB heavy draft.

                    Take a shot at Flynn in the offseason, have him battle with Colt for the starting job, draft a QB in the fourth, and see what happens.

                    It makes too much sense. There's no way it happens.

                    The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                    • 57k Posts
                    • 4k Reputation
                    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

                    That's what I'm saying. There's no trading of picks involved, it's past the deadline for this year and his contract expires in the offseason. We've got the cap room, Holmgren supposedly feels McCoy isn't the answer, and is probably feeling a slight bit of pressure, so why not take a shot at Flynn. He's learned in the McCarthy WC-ish offense. He's been picking up tips from a future HOF-er. Everybody is singing his praises in GB. He's got experience in the NFL, and is still very young. We're not in position for Luck or Barkley. Jones is still an unknown. RG3 is not a fit for the WCO, neither are most of the other QB's in this QB heavy draft.

                    Take a shot at Flynn in the offseason, have him battle with Colt for the starting job, draft a QB in the fourth, and see what happens.

                    It makes too much sense. There's no way it happens.

                    If you got Flynn in FA, I see no reason to draft a QB. We have other definite needs. Get that RT or OLB or something.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • Mark O Mark OM Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 6k Posts
                      • 1k Reputation
                      Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      I like the idea...I've only really seen him play a little bit but he damn near beat New England on the road last season when Rodgers was out. Not to sound too much like our old buddy Shep, but I'm also interested to see how Leinart plays for Houston the rest of the way. He'll probably be a free agent at the end of the year as well.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply

                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                      Register Login
                      Reply
                      • Reply as topic
                      Log in to reply
                      • Oldest to Newest
                      • Newest to Oldest
                      • Most Votes


                      Theme
                      • System
                      • Light
                      • Dark
                      The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                      The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                      • First post
                        Last post
                      0
                      • Forums
                      • Recent
                      • Popular
                      • Users
                      • Donate