Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Political Discussion
  3. Real Question

Real Question

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Political Discussion
79 Posts 7 Posters 2.4k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #1

    Heck, just curious.

    Have you been an Obama guy all the way back to and including the primary?

    And this time around would you consider voting for either Romney or Huntsman?

    I wouldn't really expect you to, but if you believed that a republican win was in evitable, which of those 2 would you prefer?

    I'm assuming the others are off the table.

    WSS

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    H 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • W Westside Steve

      Heck, just curious.

      Have you been an Obama guy all the way back to and including the primary?

      And this time around would you consider voting for either Romney or Huntsman?

      I wouldn't really expect you to, but if you believed that a republican win was in evitable, which of those 2 would you prefer?

      I'm assuming the others are off the table.

      WSS

      heckofajobbrownie H
      • 6k Posts
      • 47 Reputation
      H heckofajobbrownie wrote on last edited by heckofajobbrownie
      #2

      @westside-steve said:

      Heck, just curious.

      Have you been an Obama guy all the way back to and including the primary?

      And this time around would you consider voting for either Romney or Huntsman?

      I wouldn't really expect you to, but if you believed that a republican win was in evitable, which of those 2 would you prefer?

      I'm assuming the others are off the table.

      WSS

      I wanted Obama over Hillary, yes, but would have been happy with either. I just thought Obama had a better chance of moving the country forward. I didn't want to re-fight the same battles from the 90s. Little did I know that it wouldn't matter, and that the right would go batshit crazy anyway.

      As for Romney, I really hope he gets the nomination. He's a total phony, but a good man, and a competent man. I know people who have worked for him in Massachusetts. I know a lot of people who know him personally. For someone like me, it actually helps a little that he has no core Republican beliefs because I prefer that to a Republican who does. He's with me on a lot of things, but just says he isn't because he really, really, really wants to be president.

      Honestly, I've followed the guy since before he ran against Kennedy in '94. I wrote a big term paper on that race in college. I've watched this guy go through every political reincarnation imaginable. I've watched him do a complete 180 on virtually every major issue. Even in the shapeshifting world of politics, there is simply no one like him. He's a used car salesman with management skills. It's very entertaining.

      Huntsman would be even better, but isn't going to win, so it's not worth talking about. He's not where the Republican Party is today. He's in reality.

      Would I consider voting for Romney? Unlikely. Something would have to happen to make me feel that Obama doesn't deserve a second term. Right now, I think he does when compared to the alternative.

      Who is your horse? Honestly, I can't even see someone capable of doing the job besides Romney and Huntsman and Gingrich. (And Gingrich is loathsome in a way Romney isn't.) The others are simply laughable. I pretty sure I knew more about these issues when I was in high school. And I didn't know shit in high school.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Mr. T Mr. TM
        • 7k Posts
        • 184 Reputation
        Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Liberalochi Heck, has just confirmed my thoughts about Romney. I always thought he was a East Coast Lib running as a RINO.

        Libs would love to see Romnerd make it because he wouldn't do a thing to reclaim Constitutional values and revert us from running down the path of being a Socialist state.

        Head or Gut?
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
          • 64k Posts
          • 8k Reputation
          C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Heck and Shep apparently can't wait for a marxist statist take over, so they can be guaranteed a monthy welfare check

          no matter what they do.

          As for me, Give me liberty, and they can keep the change.

          So many spoiled little silver spoon fed brats want the gov to be their nanny and benefactor.

          You can smell the demand for gov living stipends over the internet.

          P 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • heckofajobbrownie H
            • 6k Posts
            • 47 Reputation
            H heckofajobbrownie wrote on last edited by heckofajobbrownie
            #5

            Yes, Cal, you're the productive one. A true captain of industry. Me and Shep - just a bunch of moochers trying to live off the dole.

            It's truly amazing to watch talking points get filtered all the way down through an imbecile.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • C calfoxwc

              Heck and Shep apparently can't wait for a marxist statist take over, so they can be guaranteed a monthy welfare check

              no matter what they do.

              As for me, Give me liberty, and they can keep the change.

              So many spoiled little silver spoon fed brats want the gov to be their nanny and benefactor.

              You can smell the demand for gov living stipends over the internet.

              Pumpkin Eater P
              • 4k Posts
              • 297 Reputation
              P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @calfoxwc said:

              So many spoiled little silver spoon fed brats want the gov to be their nanny and benefactor.

              That's funny, I thought you were in favor of Bush era tax cuts and corruption. But you are describing the corruption of government by corporate and wealthy interests perfectly.

              :neutral_face:
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                • 39k Posts
                • 9k Reputation
                W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                #7

                Heh.

                Anyway Heck, I've been a Newt fan for years.

                I think he's the brightest and possibly most capable guy in the room.

                That said I'm not sure how he'd goven as the left really hates him.

                Also admittedly he tends to shoot from the hip and leans toward hyperbole on occassion.

                Still the left wing hate machine will be in full gear against whoever is there.

                You didn't expect that when Obama got in?? After 8 years of Bush hate??

                Come on now...

                That said I've liked Romney for a long time as well and would have voted for him in the last primary had he been in when Ohio rolled around.

                At the risk of sounding like a liberal <<GG>> I'd be glad to vote for him. Huntsman seems fine to me as well, but like you said he doesn't seem to have much traction as yet.

                As far as doing whatever he thinks will help him win, well, lets not pretend it's not the standard MO.

                Plus I don't care much about the key issues of either fringe.

                But I don't take Cain or Perry or Bachman or Santorum very seriously.

                I do like much of what Paul has to say, but he'd have to battle two parties if he won.

                There's nobody who mirrors my own perspective out there.

                WSS

                www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                H 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • W Westside Steve

                  Heh.

                  Anyway Heck, I've been a Newt fan for years.

                  I think he's the brightest and possibly most capable guy in the room.

                  That said I'm not sure how he'd goven as the left really hates him.

                  Also admittedly he tends to shoot from the hip and leans toward hyperbole on occassion.

                  Still the left wing hate machine will be in full gear against whoever is there.

                  You didn't expect that when Obama got in?? After 8 years of Bush hate??

                  Come on now...

                  That said I've liked Romney for a long time as well and would have voted for him in the last primary had he been in when Ohio rolled around.

                  At the risk of sounding like a liberal <<GG>> I'd be glad to vote for him. Huntsman seems fine to me as well, but like you said he doesn't seem to have much traction as yet.

                  As far as doing whatever he thinks will help him win, well, lets not pretend it's not the standard MO.

                  Plus I don't care much about the key issues of either fringe.

                  But I don't take Cain or Perry or Bachman or Santorum very seriously.

                  I do like much of what Paul has to say, but he'd have to battle two parties if he won.

                  There's nobody who mirrors my own perspective out there.

                  WSS

                  heckofajobbrownie H
                  • 6k Posts
                  • 47 Reputation
                  H heckofajobbrownie wrote on last edited by heckofajobbrownie
                  #8

                  @westside-steve said:

                  Heh.

                  Anyway Heck, I've been a Newt fan for years.

                  I think he's the brightest and possibly most capable guy in the room.

                  That said I'm not sure how he'd goven as the left really hates him.

                  Also admittedly he tends to shoot from the hip and leans toward hyperbole on occassion.

                  Still the left wing hate machine will be in full gear against whoever is there.

                  You didn't expect that when Obama got in?? After 8 years of Bush hate??

                  Come on now...

                  That said I've liked Romney for a long time as well and would have voted for him in the last primary had he been in when Ohio rolled around.

                  At the risk of sounding like a liberal <<GG>> I'd be glad to vote for him. Huntsman seems fine to me as well, but like you said he doesn't seem to have much traction as yet.

                  As far as doing whatever he thinks will help him win, well, lets not pretend it's not the standard MO.

                  Plus I don't care much about the key issues of either fringe.

                  But I don't take Cain or Perry or Bachman or Santorum very seriously.

                  I do like much of what Paul has to say, but he'd have to battle two parties if he won.

                  There's nobody who mirrors my own perspective out there.

                  WSS

                  While I'd concede that Newt at least has the experience and policy background to be president, you should hear people who know Newt - and even like Newt - say about Newt. He's one of, if not the, most self-involved, self-important man in DC. "He's all ego." It's like Jennifer Rubin (card-carrying Republican mouthpiece) said in the Post about this Fannie Mae stuff: "Gingrich is running for president, telling an improbable tale (he alone among a flock of hired guns wasn’t engaged in influence peddling?) and refusing to provide voters with material needed to assess his credibility. This is precisely the Gingrich so many Republicans recall — self-important, truth-shading and continually on the make to feather his own nest."

                  I'd be wary of falling in love with Newt. He's more interesting in listening to himself talk, and imagining everything he says is brilliant, than anything else. It's why Newt's staff used to have two boxes in their office - one huge box that said, "Newt's ideas" and a smaller shoebox that said, "Newt's good ideas." Until the other candidates started imploding and he became the #6 in the race to be "anyone but Romney", people were pretty convinced he was only running to stay relevant and to move his product. Much like Cain, he's very thin on organization in the key states. It never looked like a campaign designed to compete in anything other than the media.

                  You might remember that his entire staff quit his campaign a few weeks in because they realized that he wasn't really serious about running, and took his wife on a cruise for two weeks after he'd announced. For weeks he was also using his campaign speeches to plug his books and his Pope documentary.

                  Newt's also not going to beat Obama. I don't think any of them will, but a Romney-Rubio ticket probably has a good shot. The economy isn't going to go anywhere. It's starting to finally produce some decent numbers that sound more like a real recovery, but I think Europe is really going to sink it. They're headed for a prolonged economic slump, or worse, and everyone knows it. And if this deficit committee fails to reach an agreement, which looks likely, the markets may give up on our political system's ability to address our own problems, too.

                  Just a worldwide clusterfuck.

                  The only reason I can come up with for voting for Mitt Romney is that maybe a fresh start, with a sane Republican, would be able to create a coalition that could move much needed legislation forward. Democrats wouldn't block everything, or require 60 votes on every Senate bill, just to stop a president's progress and label him as ineffective. But those are mostly passing thoughts. You can't expect Mitt to be separate from his party even if he thinks that way.

                  Honestly, if Mitt took over, I'd be willing to bet you that he'd instantly start pushing for stimulus measures, and tax reform that finds more revenue. He's just call it an "infrastructure bank" or "the global competitiveness initiative."

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • heckofajobbrownie H
                    • 6k Posts
                    • 47 Reputation
                    H heckofajobbrownie wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    "Advocate of civilization, defender of civilization, teacher of the rules of civilization, arouser of those who form civilization, organizer of the pro-civilization activists, and leader “possibly” of the civilizing forces."

                    Yes, that's Newt Gingrich, writing a note to himself. About himself.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • osusev O
                      • 1k Posts
                      • 4 Reputation
                      O osusev wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      Wow, heck that was quite insightful on Romney.

                      I agree with your rationalization.... however I will be totally honest.... I could never vote for a Mormon. There is something inherently wrong with people who tune out their logic to

                      agree with Joseph Smith and his rewriting of North American History. I could not vote for someone who has no position and is a literal talking head to what ever the wind blows at that moment.

                      Huntsmen would get a serious look from me as even Ron Paul (not as serious but a good look) neither will get the opportunity. Romney will win and I think your right they will go after the Florida Hispanic vote with Rubio as VP.

                      Obama will win again in a close race but he will win again because frankly he is better than anything the opposition has. I think we will see real growth in his second term now that stabilization has happened.

                      VaporTrailV 1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • heckofajobbrownie H
                        • 6k Posts
                        • 47 Reputation
                        H heckofajobbrownie wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        You know that Huntsman is a Mormon, too, right?

                        O 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • H heckofajobbrownie

                          You know that Huntsman is a Mormon, too, right?

                          osusev O
                          • 1k Posts
                          • 4 Reputation
                          O osusev wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @heckofajobbrownie said:

                          You know that Huntsman is a Mormon, too, right?

                          nope, I never bothered to dig deeper on him once I realized he had zero shot.... but that would have crossed him off my list. I know its not PC to have a anti Mormon stance but I do.

                          I have done or attempted to do some business in Utah.... and have met some really nice people who practice that faith. It just gives me all kinds of problems.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                            • 39k Posts
                            • 9k Reputation
                            W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
                            #13

                            Sev I gotta admit that surprised me.

                            Would you feel that way about Jews, Muslims or Catholics?

                            Anyway many years ago Mormon missionaries stopped by and we actually had an ongoing dialogue. I even went to a LDS service. They all seemed like nice consevative folks without the fire and brimstone you might find elsewhere.

                            That's one realon I like Romney.

                            Anyway I'm not religious but I guess the jump from virgin birth to water into wine to healing the sick to the ressurection and then to showing up among the Indians isn't that much of a stretch.

                            And Heck, sure I figure Newt has a huge ego and never tires of expounding on whatever thoughts he has. So that makes for a big backlog of state3ments for the left to sift through.

                            But I don't suppose anyone with aspiratyions of power on the world stage is all that selfless.

                            I also assume that any politician will have members of the team go renegade.

                            Turncoats get a lot of attention and we all love attention.

                            Maybe that love of attention is one reason I like Newt.

                            But he'd be the one I'd pick if it were up to me.

                            If I was speaking for the Republican party I'd pick Mitt, if getting rid of Obama is the goal.

                            Actually I can live with Obama and a Republican house and senate.

                            Of course that'd be rough assumoing Obama wins by bringing out the liberal vote.

                            We'll see.

                            WSS

                            www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • O osusev

                              Wow, heck that was quite insightful on Romney.

                              I agree with your rationalization.... however I will be totally honest.... I could never vote for a Mormon. There is something inherently wrong with people who tune out their logic to

                              agree with Joseph Smith and his rewriting of North American History. I could not vote for someone who has no position and is a literal talking head to what ever the wind blows at that moment.

                              Huntsmen would get a serious look from me as even Ron Paul (not as serious but a good look) neither will get the opportunity. Romney will win and I think your right they will go after the Florida Hispanic vote with Rubio as VP.

                              Obama will win again in a close race but he will win again because frankly he is better than anything the opposition has. I think we will see real growth in his second term now that stabilization has happened.

                              VaporTrail VaporTrailV Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                              • 6k Posts
                              • 1k Reputation
                              VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by VaporTrail
                              #14

                              @osusev said:

                              Wow, heck that was quite insightful on Romney.

                              I agree with your rationalization.... however I will be totally honest.... I could never vote for a Mormon. There is something inherently wrong with people who tune out their logic to

                              agree with Joseph Smith and his rewriting of North American History. I could not vote for someone who has no position and is a literal talking head to what ever the wind blows at that moment.

                              And yet you're a Christian. How very ironic. I want to say that I really appreciate your honesty here, but damn is it ironic.

                              W 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • VaporTrailV VaporTrail

                                @osusev said:

                                Wow, heck that was quite insightful on Romney.

                                I agree with your rationalization.... however I will be totally honest.... I could never vote for a Mormon. There is something inherently wrong with people who tune out their logic to

                                agree with Joseph Smith and his rewriting of North American History. I could not vote for someone who has no position and is a literal talking head to what ever the wind blows at that moment.

                                And yet you're a Christian. How very ironic. I want to say that I really appreciate your honesty here, but damn is it ironic.

                                Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                                • 39k Posts
                                • 9k Reputation
                                W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @vaportrail said:

                                And yet you're a Christian. How very ironic. I want to say that I really appreciate your honesty here, but damn is it ironic.

                                I didn't think Sev was a Chrisatian.

                                Am I wrong Sev?

                                WSS

                                www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                                  • 39k Posts
                                  • 9k Reputation
                                  W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  @vaportrail said:

                                  Oh damn. I must still be drunk. I thought I was quoting you, Steve. Okay, so that begs the question, sev, are you religious?

                                  FWIW I'm not but I have no problem with those that are.

                                  WSS

                                  www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • VaporTrail VaporTrailV Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                    • 6k Posts
                                    • 1k Reputation
                                    VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    Well I apologize for the misunderstanding. So, I'm assuming that sev is okay voting for a Protestant or a Catholic, yet he won't vote for a Mormon because he thinks Mormonism is silly? I find that troubling. You could easily say the same about EVERY SINGLE religion.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • osusev O
                                      • 1k Posts
                                      • 4 Reputation
                                      O osusev wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      Vapor,

                                      No issues and Steve is correct I do not follow any major/minor religion, however you could classify science as a religion to some degree.

                                      I understand your comment about the mainstream subsets of Christianity, I have made the mental decision that most people in the U.S. claim

                                      one of the denominations or even Judaism. This is totally subjective and I dont expect people to agree, I happen to classify Mormonism as the same as say

                                      Scientology. I would not vote for a Scientologist either... they are both to "cultish" and both are founded within the last 100 or so years by people we can get

                                      decent insight on.

                                      I agree this is subjective, but this is a personal choice on data about "founding" personalities versus thousands of years of individuals we dont have reliable or consistent data on.

                                      I know some very nice people that are Mormon, but I also know some really nice people with felony records for some pretty heinous things. Its a personal thing but both of those would disqualify them for consideration based on subjective logic i apply to who should hold the most powerful position in the world

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • VaporTrail VaporTrailV Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                        • 6k Posts
                                        • 1k Reputation
                                        VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
                                        #19
                                        I agree this is subjective, but this is a personal choice on data about "founding" personalities versus thousands of years of individuals we dont have reliable or consistent data on.

                                        So you'd rather put your trust into someone who has faith in something that there is hardly any reliable or consistent data on? The only difference between mainstream Christianity and Mormonism is the length of time that a large group has followed them. Jesus' movement was originally viewed as a Messianic cult, too.

                                        So if a candidate believes in something that's more widely accepted, but has the exact amount of concrete evidence for their beliefs as one of these "lesser" faiths (none), you exempt them from that scrutiny?

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • heckofajobbrownie H
                                          • 6k Posts
                                          • 47 Reputation
                                          H heckofajobbrownie wrote on last edited by heckofajobbrownie
                                          #20

                                          I don't have a problem with people who vote or don't vote for someone based on their religious beliefs. Mostly because everyone does it, whether they acknowledge it or not. For instance, I almost certainly wouldn't vote for someone who has been taken in by Scientology. To me, it says something about their intellectual makeup and their gullibility. Some people view Mormonism in that same way. I don't happen to, but I can certainly see why people do. Mormonism requires people to believe in some things are not only utterly fantastical and surely improbable, but also things that are demonstrably false.

                                          Joseph Smith was a con man. That seem 100% clear to me. The fact that people like Mitt Romney can't see that, or chooses not to see that, is a tad worrisome, yes. For me, it's not a disqualifier. But I can see why it would be for some people. And if someone like Sev wants to come to that conclusion, I think that's fine. As long as he doesn't believe in a religious test for office, he can assemble his voting priorities in whichever way he pleases.

                                          And Vapor, I don't agree that Christianity and Mormonism are the same things. Do both require a belief in miraculous things that you or I believe never happened? Sure. But we know there was a Jesus Christ. We have a real good idea of what he preached about, how he died, etc. Even if you strip away the belief that he was divine, as Jefferson and many others have done, you're still left with some of the most sublime moral philosophies in human history, on which 2000 years of religious tradition have been based.

                                          Mormonism is just something a guy with a wild imagination made up out of whole cloth. None of the people or places in the Book of Mormon have ever been shown to have existed. Some of the central tenets of the book have been proven to be false - or some might say fraudulent. It might as well be called "Harry Potter and the Golden Plates."

                                          That's different.

                                          VaporTrailV 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate