Skip to content

Qb Mentors

The Browns Board
5 5 474
  • Great post here on McCoy and his dedication even while Dabol tried like hell to drag the kid down. This kid has some real guts and where might he have gotten some ?? Mentors like Jake Delhomme and Bret Favre.

    Big Tebow fan (Gator fan) and truly love this kid's work ethic. All the passing issues he has right now will be corrected by next year - mark my words - as he's that much a player and has that much character to change / correct what needs fixing. Changed his whole throwing method to play pro in one summer. If Tebow had a mentor like Delhomme, where'd he be today ? Is Elway that guy ... I don't think so. I really don't believe Elway wants anyone to ever have the spotlight he had / has in Denver. He wants the team to win, but not because the QB is a star.

    Say all you want about Delhomme, but the guiy went to the show and had his time .. for real. He was terrible here and last season or two in Carolina, but his worj ethic was awesome and he too McCoy in and worked with him, to help build what I beleive we'll truly appreciate like a Sipe or Kosar in the future.

    On another note, do all respond to mentoring ? Like Brady Quinn, I don't believe so. Quinn is the happiest 5th year pro football player there is, making lots of money with front row seat, week after week. I don't believe he 'chased it' anything like McCoy is, when Quinn was here.

    What about Jay Cutler ? When he was in Denver I don't believe anyone could tell that kid anything he didn't think he already knew. He spoke out saying he was more as strong a player, if not stronger than Elway. Hericy in Denver.

    So where are the mentors ??? Why don't these new kids get the benefit of the experienced guys like they should ?

    I actually wanted to see Delhomme stay a while longer in Cleveland jsut for McCoy's sake. Dumb thing to say, yes, using a roster spot for that, but I really think McCoy got a ton of help from Delhomme.

  • why not bring Farve in and be a QB coach next yr

  • What's wrong with Seneca Wallace? He's a perfect mentor for McCoy because he played in the WCO under Holmgren for years.

  • ghoulie stick a sock in it loser

  • @king-ghoolie-lives said:

    IT DOESN"T WORK THAT WAY. A QB either has it or not, right out of the box.

    I largely agree. By the time a guy makes it to be a pro rookie, he has had hundreds of hours worth of coaching and advanced training. They have been going to QB camps since they were 15 years old.

    While I don't think the idea of mentoring is totally worthless, it it more on how to be a pro, how to pack for roadtrips etc. It isn't about how to play the game. If a guy can't do that by this point, some 40 year old vet tossing the new guy a few tid-bits isn't going to all of a sudden turn on the lights for the kid.