Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. The Upsides

The Upsides

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
28 Posts 15 Posters 1.5k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • rich4eagle rich4eagleR One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 2k Posts
    • 39 Reputation
    rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by rich4eagle
    #1

    In general the defensive scheme is a positive. Jamaal Sheard my be a long time solid DE who can put heat on QB's, Haden appears to be a long term solid CB

    After that, since I have not really deeply analyzed the team for a bunch of years because we have sucked, I ask REAL football minds for inputs on young players with big upside to build on

    Not interested in hearing about OL guys because they are a dime a dozen and available driving cabs even in November to step right in

    We need RB's and WR's and maybe a QB

    Colt is playing against big time opposition with little to work with, so I still give him a pass

    But, if we get a chance at Luck or Griffin I would take either with the one pick

    I also like Montee Ball and Trent Richardson very much

    Since we suck now, we need to start talking about scoring TD's. OL guys DO NOT SCORE TDS nor do they make skill players better

    In fact it is the opposite, so please no more bs about getting OL guys in this thread

    Further, the offensive scheme on this team is defunct so we need to change that to making plays that stretch the field with players who can

    NO DISSING JUST HARD COLD feature views on what wins, and please keep dime a dozen OL guys out of this discussion

    and if you want to piss on people because of an opionion call them on the phone

    Thanks all, from me the new architect of making winning football a fun thing in Cleveland

    Offense Wins.......Franchise QB's are the key.............Defense keeps you in the game.........Go Buckeyes
    hoortaH 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
      • 15k Posts
      • 2k Reputation
      T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
      #2

      If ol guys are a dime a dozen who is supposed to protect the quarterback from the three hundred pound monsters coming to kill him? Just some cab driver off the street? Lmfao they'd get handled as easily as you and ghoolie.

      Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
      rich4eagleR 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Hunt Daddy H
        • 594 Posts
        • 72 Reputation
        H Hunt Daddy wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I think we need some o-line players.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • VaporTrail VaporTrailV Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 6k Posts
          • 1k Reputation
          VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
          #4

          I would draft o line.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • T The Cysko Kid

            If ol guys are a dime a dozen who is supposed to protect the quarterback from the three hundred pound monsters coming to kill him? Just some cab driver off the street? Lmfao they'd get handled as easily as you and ghoolie.

            rich4eagle rich4eagleR One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 2k Posts
            • 39 Reputation
            rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by rich4eagle
            #5

            @the-cysko-kid said:

            If ol guys are a dime a dozen who is supposed to protect the quarterback from the three hundred pound monsters coming to kill him? Just some cab driver off the street? Lmfao they'd get handled as easily as you and ghoolie.

            That is not part of this thread as specified in the lead post, hopefully management will move your post in the HOW to KEEP LOSING FOREVER THREAD

            meanwhile, I would appreciate you deleting your post and I will do the same with this one

            if you do not you disrespect common human decency

            For astute fans lets talk about the subject matter.............WINNING BY SCORING

            Offense Wins.......Franchise QB's are the key.............Defense keeps you in the game.........Go Buckeyes
            T 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • BaconHound B One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 5k Posts
              • 306 Reputation
              B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
              #6

              Colt is fine but Haden is overrated!!!!!!

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • miktoxic miktoxicM
                • 13k Posts
                • 1k Reputation
                miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
                #7

                haden, ward, sheard, taylor, DQ, rubin, mack, thomas, mccoy..........maybe little. maybe norwood. maybe the rookie TE. everyone else you can flush down the toilet.

                first pick blackmon. second pick mathieu from lsu (kick returns and cb/safety).

                then RT. then LB LB LB

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 9k Posts
                  • 2k Reputation
                  ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  We can forget Colt McCoy....he sucks. He has a weak arm, isn't accurate, and doesn't see the field.

                  We are wasting our time with that guy.

                  If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  πŸ‘
                  Quote Reply
                  • rich4eagleR rich4eagle

                    @the-cysko-kid said:

                    If ol guys are a dime a dozen who is supposed to protect the quarterback from the three hundred pound monsters coming to kill him? Just some cab driver off the street? Lmfao they'd get handled as easily as you and ghoolie.

                    That is not part of this thread as specified in the lead post, hopefully management will move your post in the HOW to KEEP LOSING FOREVER THREAD

                    meanwhile, I would appreciate you deleting your post and I will do the same with this one

                    if you do not you disrespect common human decency

                    For astute fans lets talk about the subject matter.............WINNING BY SCORING

                    The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                    • 15k Posts
                    • 2k Reputation
                    T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @rich4eagle said:

                    That is not part of this thread as specified in the lead post, hopefully management will move your post in the HOW to KEEP LOSING FOREVER THREAD

                    meanwhile, I would appreciate you deleting your post and I will do the same with this one

                    if you do not you disrespect common human decency

                    For astute fans lets talk about the subject matter.............WINNING BY SCORING

                    If you don't want to talk about it why do you keep bringing it up over and over again?

                    Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    πŸ‘
                    Quote Reply
                    • htownbrown htownbrownH Reacting Well Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 2k Posts
                      • 685 Reputation
                      htownbrownH htownbrown wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      I will admit it. I WAS WRONG TO CALL OUT SHEARD IN PRESEASON. The dude has come a long way since being blown up by JT every play. The guy looks real good. With a good draft AND a FA or two this defense could be the best we've had since the return. The LBs are killing this unit, they need to grab a good, young one.

                      Now this next thing I'm gonna say might have me admitting I'm wrong once again but WE WILL DRAFT A QB IN THE 1ST ROUND. This team needs someone who knows when to pull the trigger and trust his arm to make those throws that need to be made in tight coverage. We won't win in this league, in this division until that happens. We need help everywhere on offense, but you can't expect this front office to go all in on McCoy. He may not be the biggest problem, but he just doesn't give us a good chance to win. Besides for all that drafting a QB buys the staff a few more years.

                      β€œIt is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.”
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Hunt Daddy H
                        • 594 Posts
                        • 72 Reputation
                        H Hunt Daddy wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        Mathieu is a sophomore. He can't come out.

                        And if OLinemen are a dime a dozen, why do we have 3 that suck?

                        miktoxicM 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • H Hunt Daddy

                          Mathieu is a sophomore. He can't come out.

                          And if OLinemen are a dime a dozen, why do we have 3 that suck?

                          miktoxic miktoxicM
                          • 13k Posts
                          • 1k Reputation
                          miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @hunt-daddy said:

                          Mathieu is a sophomore. He can't come out.

                          wow that shows you how much i know about the ncaaf.

                          dude looks like he has like a hyper reality vision type thing where things to him move at normal speed while they are really moving super-sonic.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • slimdawg slimdawgS
                            • 541 Posts
                            • 49 Reputation
                            slimdawgS slimdawg wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            I wonder what the Pats would want in return for Mallet, he looks like a prototypical NFL QB

                            !!!!hopefully i'll be alive when it happens!!!!
                            J 1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • jnuh J
                              • 402 Posts
                              • 27 Reputation
                              J jnuh wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              Our building blocks(that will be under contract after the season) would have to be ...

                              JT, Mack, Haden, Rubin, Taylor, Sheard, and Ward

                              Those guys are more or less guys who should be starting (and obviously are starting)

                              Evan Moore, Little, McCoy, Norwood, and Skrine are all guys currently on the roster that are in either yr 1 or 2 and can develop into good players with time.

                              Basically they are guys with some potential that should be kept around.

                              Cribbs, Fujita, GoCong, Watson and Dawson are all servicible vets.

                              In other words we can't replace everyone and we should keep them if for nothing else for depth.

                              DQ and Hillis are both free agents. For the right price I would like to see both brought back, but I can't see Hillis coming back after all the drama and if DQ was smart he would run for the hills. Obviously I wouldn't want to give Hillis big money, but he can definitly have a role on our team as a short yardage back and a back that can catch well out of the backfield. DQ is having a very good year and I would like for him to come back, but again doesn't warrent the kind of money you would pay a stud backer ... he should get a better deal then Gocong though IMO.

                              As far as what we need to do ... obviously we need play makers o offense, but we also badly need a legit end opposite of Sheard, we need 2 outside backers, a CB, and a FS. In theory drafting a stud CB could potential fill the FS void as we might be able to play Sheldon Brown there.

                              As far as drafting WR's ... eh I am not a fan in the first round. There are some very good WRs in there prime that are free agents. We need a playmaker so bad why gamble on it?? We can sign a guy like Desean Jackson who we know can ball in the NFL and make sick plays and return punts. I am sure all these kids coming out in the draft have some sick upside ... but why gamble when we can just buy what we need instead. Plus we can add a LB, CB, or DE with the first 2 picks and really sure up the D. Our D with some more help could be a really good D. Lets go out and get a Von Miller type backer to make plays for us.

                              I would love for us to be able to grab Lamichael James in round 2 or 3. That kid is going to be a beast of a running back in the NFL.

                              Thats just my opinion take it with a grain of salt

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • slimdawgS slimdawg

                                I wonder what the Pats would want in return for Mallet, he looks like a prototypical NFL QB

                                jnuh J
                                • 402 Posts
                                • 27 Reputation
                                J jnuh wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @slimdawg said:

                                I wonder what the Pats would want in return for Mallet, he looks like a prototypical NFL QB

                                They wasted a third on him ... so atleast a second and later picks or a first. I couldn't honestly see them taking less then a first rounder for the kid. Thats just how they roll

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • rich4eagleR rich4eagle

                                  In general the defensive scheme is a positive. Jamaal Sheard my be a long time solid DE who can put heat on QB's, Haden appears to be a long term solid CB

                                  After that, since I have not really deeply analyzed the team for a bunch of years because we have sucked, I ask REAL football minds for inputs on young players with big upside to build on

                                  Not interested in hearing about OL guys because they are a dime a dozen and available driving cabs even in November to step right in

                                  We need RB's and WR's and maybe a QB

                                  Colt is playing against big time opposition with little to work with, so I still give him a pass

                                  But, if we get a chance at Luck or Griffin I would take either with the one pick

                                  I also like Montee Ball and Trent Richardson very much

                                  Since we suck now, we need to start talking about scoring TD's. OL guys DO NOT SCORE TDS nor do they make skill players better

                                  In fact it is the opposite, so please no more bs about getting OL guys in this thread

                                  Further, the offensive scheme on this team is defunct so we need to change that to making plays that stretch the field with players who can

                                  NO DISSING JUST HARD COLD feature views on what wins, and please keep dime a dozen OL guys out of this discussion

                                  and if you want to piss on people because of an opionion call them on the phone

                                  Thanks all, from me the new architect of making winning football a fun thing in Cleveland

                                  hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                  • 20k Posts
                                  • 5k Reputation
                                  hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
                                  #16

                                  @rich4eagle said:

                                  In general the defensive scheme is a positive. Jamaal Sheard my be a long time solid DE who can put heat on QB's, Haden appears to be a long term solid CB

                                  After that, since I have not really deeply analyzed the team for a bunch of years because we have sucked, I ask REAL football minds for inputs on young players with big upside to build on

                                  Not interested in hearing about OL guys because they are a dime a dozen and available driving cabs even in November to step right in

                                  We need RB's and WR's and maybe a QB

                                  Colt is playing against big time opposition with little to work with, so I still give him a pass

                                  But, if we get a chance at Luck or Griffin I would take either with the one pick

                                  I also like Montee Ball and Trent Richardson very much

                                  Since we suck now, we need to start talking about scoring TD's. OL guys DO NOT SCORE TDS nor do they make skill players better

                                  In fact it is the opposite, so please no more bs about getting OL guys in this thread

                                  Further, the offensive scheme on this team is defunct so we need to change that to making plays that stretch the field with players who can

                                  NO DISSING JUST HARD COLD feature views on what wins, and please keep dime a dozen OL guys out of this discussion

                                  and if you want to piss on people because of an opionion call them on the phone

                                  Thanks all, from me the new architect of making winning football a fun thing in Cleveland

                                  Disagree about Fujita and No-kong. Not good enough- not even close.

                                  I'll only bring up O-line once Rich- it's my specialty, and there is one glaring weakness- Pashos needs to go- he sucks. Draft or FA, doesn't matter.

                                  Now to compete with the Ravens- we need some real linebackers. Honestly, the Ratbirds could have beaten us today without Flacco throwing a single pass. The D-line is doing their job for the most part, but the feet in cement 'backers are too damn slow to fill in the cutback lanes.

                                  I'm 90% in agreement with 'Peen that the McCoy experiment is over- just flat out not good enough. Will make a nice long term #2 if he's willing to accept that role.

                                  We really need a legit #1 WR. Little can be OK as a #2, and Norwood is showing promise- at least the kid can get open.

                                  Anyone who thinks Haden is over rated is out of their minds- Joe is easily one of the top 5 Corners ever to play for the Browns. You expect the guy to cover the other teams #1 WR forever because we STILL can't generate an effective pass rush?

                                  OK, core players Defense. Sheard, Taylor, Rubin, Haden, Ward. Offense, Thomas, Little, Watson. Hey Ghoolie you notice that nice 50 yard pass your washed up Hillis caught today? I'd like him back, at the right price.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • rich4eagle rich4eagleR One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                    • 2k Posts
                                    • 39 Reputation
                                    rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by rich4eagle
                                    #17

                                    Maybe, eventually this topic may get around to the premise in the lead post! And that was to win you need to be able to score often and especially when behind. We cannot score and getting OL guys is not gonna help. I was hoping people addressed scoring and specific players to get for skill postions to make us able to score. I was hoping for suggestions for WR and RB and TE and even QB. I understand we need a lot of help on defense, I also understand that our defense has been average to above for the season and the offense has been slightly worse than AWFUL with two high first round picks manning it,

                                    I do not want to hear about Little being a playmaker or Norwood or Hillis or Hardesty or Obo or Cribbs or any of the offensive skill players. Not a single one puts fear into the heart of any defensive player not one. On defense I mentioned Sheard and Haden as showing big potential to be disruptive.

                                    Please do not continue to waste space about OL, that worn out story is going on 11 years and five cycles and two winning seasons. I made it clear before the draft last year that we had NO offensive weapons including Hillis and Cribbs and that Hillis would never have a season like he had half of last year. I aso made clear we needed last year to draft Offensive skill players 1,2,3,4 and we went defense 1,2 and we stink and are boring and worse than ever on offense

                                    So what I was hoping for was a discussion of whom we had that could be impact players, right now I only see two both on defense. Further, an offensive lineman by definition cannot be an impact player

                                    One fellow mentioned Blackmon, I would like to see the discussion amplified

                                    I will bring out Trent Richardson and Montee Ball and the Oregon RB was mentioned above

                                    Based on where we draft if the right QB is there I would take him.. The pundits are enamored with Luck, maybe Griffin is better or Keenan

                                    So, I am asking for help as to whom are the people to go get in the draft and in free agency that make an impact and change games

                                    Right NOW we have NONE glaringly so on offense and maybe one or two defensive players with promise

                                    No need to bring anything about OL or Hillis or any WR or any RB or any offensive player on the current roster

                                    Whatever regime is in charge come April we better this time for the first time since 1999 go after offensive skill players with the top three picks and get some in free agency as well and use the low picks on disruptive DE's and LB's

                                    Offense Wins.......Franchise QB's are the key.............Defense keeps you in the game.........Go Buckeyes
                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • cdl15 cdl15C Very Popular
                                      • 2k Posts
                                      • 112 Reputation
                                      cdl15C cdl15 wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      Why don't they make hillis a fullback. he's not a bad blocker. he's good short yard guy makes good catches outta back field. yep hillis blocking for Trent Richardson id pay to see that

                                      "We are Americans. We don't quit doing something because it's wrong. We just keep doing the wrong thing till it turns out right." Browns maybe the most American Football team ever.
                                      B 1 Reply Last reply
                                      πŸ‘
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • bringbackbrownie2 B
                                        • 1k Posts
                                        • 118 Reputation
                                        B bringbackbrownie2 wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        Ok Rich I'll play.

                                        WRs: Blackmon (Oklahoma St.) and Wright (Baylor). I would be happy with either or both. Blackmon will be a top 5 pick and Wright will probably go in the second round. I'm not a big fan of Floyd or Toon. Toon reminds me too much of Robiskie.

                                        RBs: Richardson (Alabama), Wilson (Virginia Tech), and Pierce (Temple). Richardson will probably be a top 10 pick, Wilson a 2nd, and Pierce a 3rd or 4th. If Blackmon is available I would take him and pick Wilson or Pierce later in the draft. Richardson reminds me of a bigger, slightly slower MJD. Wilson is fast and can break tackles, and Pierce has good vision and agility. I don't really like James (Oregon) or Ball (Wisconsin). James needs open space to use his speed and isn't big enough to break many tackles. Ball isn't very fast and isn't particularly good at breaking tackles either. Just my opinions.

                                        QBs: Luck (Stanford), Griffin (Baylor), Cousins (Michigan St). Luck is the obvious #1 pick. Griffin will probably be a top 10 pick and I like him a lot more than Barkley. Cousins would be a 3rd or 4th rounder. I would only select Cousins if we don't get a QB in the first round. He has a strong arm and doesn't seem stare down the same receiver (as Colt seems to do) and makes multiple reads.

                                        LBs: I can't really decide which linebackers I like, but I would be shocked if the Browns don't use their second 1st rounder on one. Kueckly (Boston College), Upshaw (Alabama), Hightower (Alabama), or Brown (North Carolina -if Brown is still on the board late 1st round) are all good candidates. Upshaw might be more of a DE in a 4-3 though, but the Browns need a RE too..

                                        OL: Sorry I couldn't resist. I would use the second 4th rounder or 5th rounder on a lineman and sign another through free agency as cheap depth. Hopefully Steinbach can be healthy next year so Pinkston can move to right guard and then our 4th or 5th rounder could hopefully fill in at RT.

                                        It's hard to predict who the Browns will take since we don't know the draft order yet. But I think it's a safe bet that the Browns will have around the 5th and 22nd overall picks.. I'm not gonna bother trying to do mock drafts since we don't know who picks before the Browns. The Rams, Jaguars, and Vikings seem to be our biggest competition for drafting Blackmon right now. Plus who knows if the Browns will try to sign any big name free agents between now and the draft..

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • cdl15C cdl15

                                          Why don't they make hillis a fullback. he's not a bad blocker. he's good short yard guy makes good catches outta back field. yep hillis blocking for Trent Richardson id pay to see that

                                          bringbackbrownie2 B
                                          • 1k Posts
                                          • 118 Reputation
                                          B bringbackbrownie2 wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @cdl15 said:

                                          Why don't they make hillis a fullback. he's not a bad blocker. he's good short yard guy makes good catches outta back field. yep hillis blocking for Trent Richardson id pay to see that

                                          I was actually going to suggest that as well. The problem is Hillis probably doesn't want to play as a FB and would clearly not be paid the money he has been asking for. But I have to agree that he would make a great FB and could still be used on some short yardage situations and the occasional screen.

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate