The Upsides
-
Points to Build on: Defense - Sheard, Taylor, Rubin, DJack, Haden, Ward, Gocong (only because they are giving him $18 million)
Offense - Thomas, Mack, Marecic, Moore, Little, Norwood, Cameron
Uprgades: Defense - Right defensive end, 1 or 2 Outside linebackers, safety, corner
Offense - Right Tackle, move Pinkston to Right Guard when Steinback returns, Receivers!
Draft Options: Defense - Quinton Coples, Zach Brown, Jarvis Jones, Chase Minnifield, Melvin Ingram, Jayron Hosley
Offense - Alshon Jeffery, Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, Mike Adams, Riley Reiff, Trent Richardson (if available)
Other Options: Defense - Buster Skrine replaces Brown opposite Haden, Titus Brown/Kaluka Maiava in for Fujita.
Offense - Sign Hillis if he brings his price down and use a two back system with Ogbonnaya. Also, Armond Smith anyone? Great speed and led the team in preseason rushing. Use Evan Moore, that's why you paid him (also teach him how to block and don't throw to him the first play you put him in the game EVERY TIME). Draft #1 reciver, Little at 2, Norwood slot.
Late in Draft: It would be nice to use a later pick 4, 5, 6 round or so on a quarterback like Kirk Cousins or John Brantley to put a little bit of pressure on McCoy because he knows he will not lose the job to Seneca. Also, Bobby Rainey from Western Kentucky is leading the nation in rushing and has a similar stature to MJD, Ray Rice, and Michael Turner. Remember there are a lot of playermakers in the NFL that are not from big schools i.e. UCLA, Rutgers, Northern Illinois.
I hope this helps because I really believe what I'm saying here.
-
Also, I think McCoy should get the nod going into next year with a fair chance to prove himself behind an improved offensive line and a legitimate #1 receiver. You don't build a team by blowing 1st round picks on quarterbacks every 2 years. Build the core first and at a later date plug in a quarterback. It makes the transition a lot easier and quicker i.e. Aaron Rodgers!!
-
Also, I think McCoy should get the nod going into next year with a fair chance to prove himself behind an improved offensive line and a legitimate #1 receiver. You don't build a team by blowing 1st round picks on quarterbacks every 2 years. Build the core first and at a later date plug in a quarterback. It makes the transition a lot easier and quicker i.e. Aaron Rodgers!!
Also, I think McCoy should get the nod going into next year with a fair chance to prove himself behind an improved offensive line and a legitimate #1 receiver. You don't build a team by blowing 1st round picks on quarterbacks every 2 years. Build the core first and at a later date plug in a quarterback. It makes the transition a lot easier and quicker i.e. Aaron Rodgers!!
Generally you are correct, but McCoy was a 3rd round pick. Contrary to popular belief, the Browns have only spent 2 1st round picks on quarterbacks since 1999. Couch in 1999 and Quinn in 2007. I wouldn't be that opposed to drafting a QB in 2012 but I don't particularly want to..
-
Also, I think McCoy should get the nod going into next year with a fair chance to prove himself behind an improved offensive line and a legitimate #1 receiver. You don't build a team by blowing 1st round picks on quarterbacks every 2 years. Build the core first and at a later date plug in a quarterback. It makes the transition a lot easier and quicker i.e. Aaron Rodgers!!
Generally you are correct, but McCoy was a 3rd round pick. Contrary to popular belief, the Browns have only spent 2 1st round picks on quarterbacks since 1999. Couch in 1999 and Quinn in 2007. I wouldn't be that opposed to drafting a QB in 2012 but I don't particularly want to..
Generally you are correct, but McCoy was a 3rd round pick. Contrary to popular belief, the Browns have only spent 2 1st round picks on quarterbacks since 1999. Couch in 1999 and Quinn in 2007. I wouldn't be that opposed to drafting a QB in 2012 but I don't particularly want to..
Yes you are right I was exaggerating some to prove a point but I woul hope you would agree that you are never going to build a team by changing the most key position every 2 years. The Steelers, Ravens, and Packers all had pretty good teams when they plugged in Big Ben, Flacco, and Rodgers and it has worked pretty well for them. Build the team first, defense especially, then when that's done, if McCoy or whoever is not the guy, go get a new one.
-
Generally you are correct, but McCoy was a 3rd round pick. Contrary to popular belief, the Browns have only spent 2 1st round picks on quarterbacks since 1999. Couch in 1999 and Quinn in 2007. I wouldn't be that opposed to drafting a QB in 2012 but I don't particularly want to..
Yes you are right I was exaggerating some to prove a point but I woul hope you would agree that you are never going to build a team by changing the most key position every 2 years. The Steelers, Ravens, and Packers all had pretty good teams when they plugged in Big Ben, Flacco, and Rodgers and it has worked pretty well for them. Build the team first, defense especially, then when that's done, if McCoy or whoever is not the guy, go get a new one.
Yes you are right I was exaggerating some to prove a point but I woul hope you would agree that you are never going to build a team by changing the most key position every 2 years. The Steelers, Ravens, and Packers all had pretty good teams when they plugged in Big Ben, Flacco, and Rodgers and it has worked pretty well for them. Build the team first, defense especially, then when that's done, if McCoy or whoever is not the guy, go get a new one.
You could give McCoy 4 Jerry Rices and he still couldn't do what Fat Ben does.
I'm all for drafting a QB every year if that's what it takes. Your not building anything without a good one.
-
Yes you are right I was exaggerating some to prove a point but I woul hope you would agree that you are never going to build a team by changing the most key position every 2 years. The Steelers, Ravens, and Packers all had pretty good teams when they plugged in Big Ben, Flacco, and Rodgers and it has worked pretty well for them. Build the team first, defense especially, then when that's done, if McCoy or whoever is not the guy, go get a new one.
You could give McCoy 4 Jerry Rices and he still couldn't do what Fat Ben does.
I'm all for drafting a QB every year if that's what it takes. Your not building anything without a good one.
You could give McCoy 4 Jerry Rices and he still couldn't do what Fat Ben does.
I'm all for drafting a QB every year if that's what it takes. Your not building anything without a good one.
But that's just it. The Browns would be drafting a new QB every year for eternity if they don't get any other playmakers to complement the QB. I would rather wait until 2013 to spend a high draft pick on a QB unless the 2013 draft is supposed to be crap for QBs (I'm not really sure). Use the 2012 draft on Wrs, RBs, and LBs. McCoy hasn't been winning us games but he hasn't been throwing away games either..
-
When we find our QB we will know it. The search will end. Then we can enjoy football again. We can draft a wr and qb in the same draft ya know.
-
Yes you are right I was exaggerating some to prove a point but I woul hope you would agree that you are never going to build a team by changing the most key position every 2 years. The Steelers, Ravens, and Packers all had pretty good teams when they plugged in Big Ben, Flacco, and Rodgers and it has worked pretty well for them. Build the team first, defense especially, then when that's done, if McCoy or whoever is not the guy, go get a new one.
You could give McCoy 4 Jerry Rices and he still couldn't do what Fat Ben does.
I'm all for drafting a QB every year if that's what it takes. Your not building anything without a good one.
You could give McCoy 4 Jerry Rices and he still couldn't do what Fat Ben does.
I'm all for drafting a QB every year if that's what it takes. Your not building anything without a good one.
Except of course history tells us that is not true. If you have the defense, the running game, the OL etc. you can have an average QB. I mean, the likes of Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson were not killer QBs.
Sure, you are better off having a Peyton Manning or a Tom Brady or a Drew Brees, but it can be done without a QB of that quality. I say build up the rest of the team, then plug in the QB as the last piece of the puzzle....the same way Pittsburgh did it.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better π
Register Login