Skip to content

Peyton Manning!

The Browns Board
48 23 3.5k
  • @jnuh said:

    I am starting to think that the guys who wouldn't be happy with Manning here just will never be happy.

    He is the one reason the Colts missed the playoffs this year. It is the only explanation. The only difference from the Colts run of dominance over the past 10-12 years to this season was Manning. It is pretty much that simple. If you guys open your eyes and admit you aren't as smart as you think you are maybe you would see that. It seems like some of you would rather have some dumb average looking college girl with no experiance in the bed room then the smoking hot older woman who would rock your world.

    People would rather trade all of our picks this yr and next to draft Luck who best case scenario has the potential to be Manning and that is a long shot ... or we can use all our picks to plug holes and actually get Manning. Granted we would only have him for 2-3 years but I will jump at it 100 out of a 100 times.

    And it is also 2-3 years Colt learn to be a pro behind the ultimate pro and a guy who unlike Favre will teach him the tricks of the trade. And Manning changes the culture of the team and will attract players that will want to play with him.

    There is not a bad thing that could be said about bringing in a healthy PM unless you don't want to win.

    I'd pick the young girl, in all honesty. I'm a coach at heart, I like my girls with as little experience as possible so I can teach them new tricks that the poor schlubs they had before never could have pulled off.

    That's why I like dating your ex-girlfriends.

    Kidding, but really though...younger. More flexible. Less wear and tear. Less hair, less plastic, more insecurities.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I'd pick the young girl, in all honesty. I'm a coach at heart, I like my girls with as little experience as possible so I can teach them new tricks that the poor schlubs they had before never could have pulled off.

    That's why I like dating your ex-girlfriends.

    Kidding, but really though...younger. More flexible. Less wear and tear. Less hair, less plastic, more insecurities.

    Nice anaology! 😁

  • Id defentily say Miami,Marshall,Bess and Hartline...Daniel Thomas and Reggie Bush...Jake Long protecting his blindside and i believe he wouldnt mind the Climate...

    Id consider Washington but i dont know if he would wanna play Eli twice a year????

  • @jnuh said:

    If you guys open your eyes and admit you aren't as smart as you think you are maybe you would see that. It seems like some of you would rather have some dumb average looking college girl with no experiance in the bed room then the smoking hot older woman who would rock your world.

    lol...yeah great analogy.

    its great for a short time until she gets old and wrinkly, hits menopause and loses interest in faking orgasms for you. then she dies and your too old to get a real wife.

    @choco said:

    lol...yeah great analogy.

    its great for a short time until she gets old and wrinkly, hits menopause and loses interest in faking orgasms for you. then she dies and your too old to get a real wife.

    You are missing the point here ... Peyton is a GREAT short term fling. Not someone we are looking to marry and keep around forever.

    I wouldn't take him if he wasn't cleared to play obviously and I wouldn't give up first rounders to get him. The scenario would have to be right, but to pass on him if he were healthy and we were able to just sign him we would be idiots.

    I would jump at the chance at a legit quality QB over a crap shoot we draft. The Colts have had a great run ... let them suffer through Luck being a bust while Peyton helps us make the playoffs and teaches Colt how to be a QB.

    I guess if you guys don't want a real QB you must really enjoy losing. Personally I am sick of it. Even if its a only a trip or 2 to the playoffs I would much rather that then the crap we get to watch on any given season.

  • @choco said:

    lol...yeah great analogy.

    its great for a short time until she gets old and wrinkly, hits menopause and loses interest in faking orgasms for you. then she dies and your too old to get a real wife.

    You are missing the point here ... Peyton is a GREAT short term fling. Not someone we are looking to marry and keep around forever.

    I wouldn't take him if he wasn't cleared to play obviously and I wouldn't give up first rounders to get him. The scenario would have to be right, but to pass on him if he were healthy and we were able to just sign him we would be idiots.

    I would jump at the chance at a legit quality QB over a crap shoot we draft. The Colts have had a great run ... let them suffer through Luck being a bust while Peyton helps us make the playoffs and teaches Colt how to be a QB.

    I guess if you guys don't want a real QB you must really enjoy losing. Personally I am sick of it. Even if its a only a trip or 2 to the playoffs I would much rather that then the crap we get to watch on any given season.

    @jnuh said:

    You are missing the point here ... Peyton is a GREAT short term fling. Not someone we are looking to marry and keep around forever.

    I wouldn't take him if he wasn't cleared to play obviously and I wouldn't give up first rounders to get him. The scenario would have to be right, but to pass on him if he were healthy and we were able to just sign him we would be idiots.

    I would jump at the chance at a legit quality QB over a crap shoot we draft. The Colts have had a great run ... let them suffer through Luck being a bust while Peyton helps us make the playoffs and teaches Colt how to be a QB.

    I guess if you guys don't want a real QB you must really enjoy losing. Personally I am sick of it. Even if its a only a trip or 2 to the playoffs I would much rather that then the crap we get to watch on any given season.

    1) Guess what? It's going to take a first round pick to get Manning. The Chiefs had to do so to land Montana at a similar stage of his career.

    2) Who wouldn't? Problem is teams don't let legit quality quartebacks go- unless they happen to have a spare in waiting.

    3) So let's go short term again, one and done in the playoffs, and back to 3-12 when Manning retires in two years. No thanks.

  • @jnuh said:

    You are missing the point here ... Peyton is a GREAT short term fling. Not someone we are looking to marry and keep around forever.

    I wouldn't take him if he wasn't cleared to play obviously and I wouldn't give up first rounders to get him. The scenario would have to be right, but to pass on him if he were healthy and we were able to just sign him we would be idiots.

    I would jump at the chance at a legit quality QB over a crap shoot we draft. The Colts have had a great run ... let them suffer through Luck being a bust while Peyton helps us make the playoffs and teaches Colt how to be a QB.

    I guess if you guys don't want a real QB you must really enjoy losing. Personally I am sick of it. Even if its a only a trip or 2 to the playoffs I would much rather that then the crap we get to watch on any given season.

    1) Guess what? It's going to take a first round pick to get Manning. The Chiefs had to do so to land Montana at a similar stage of his career.

    2) Who wouldn't? Problem is teams don't let legit quality quartebacks go- unless they happen to have a spare in waiting.

    3) So let's go short term again, one and done in the playoffs, and back to 3-12 when Manning retires in two years. No thanks.

    @hoorta said:

    1) Guess what? It's going to take a first round pick to get Manning. The Chiefs had to do so to land Montana at a similar stage of his career.

    2) Who wouldn't? Problem is teams don't let legit quality quartebacks go- unless they happen to have a spare in waiting.

    3) So let's go short term again, one and done in the playoffs, and back to 3-12 when Manning retires in two years. No thanks.

    Manning is due a large roster bonus I believe. If that is the case he might not go for a first rounder depending on what there new regime wants to do. If he is due sick money another team might not anti up much for him.

    And ... Manning could help Colt become a good NFL QB if Colt can learn from him for 2 or 3 years. So the Browns post Manning could improve as well.

    And most importantly we are going to prob go 4-12 without Manning and not make the playoffs anyway. We might as well enjoy a good season or 2. The browns have done nothing to make us think anything different other then lose. Why would that be any different now. Atleast Manning single handly gives us a legit shot to win any game.

  • Peyton Manning would never come here, even if traded. He would likely retire before coming here. If he WERE to agree to come and play for us, it would help get the ball rolling for long term success, even though he may have only a couple years left in the tank. It would be like germinating a seed, but we would need to spend all our high draft picks getting weapons, which is going to be impossible because they are going to want our high picks in return for him.

  • By the way, if you were to suggest to Manning to come play for a genius like Pat Shurmur, you would probably be guilty of killing him, because he would die of laughter.

  • The ONLY way I would make a trade for Payton Manning is for "Conditional draft picks" along these lines:

    Colts get Browns 2d round pick in 2013 draft IF PM starts over half the Browns games in 2012.

    Colts get Browns 3rd round pick in 2014 draft IF PM starts over half the Browns games in 2013.

    Colts get Browns 4th round pick in 2015 draft if PM strts in over half the Browns games in 2014.

    If PM doesn't start over half the games in any of those year, the Colts get only a 7th round pick in each year.

    And, sorry, that is as far as I would take it. The Browns have to protect against injury to PM, and they need to preserve their future.

  • @hoorta said:

    1) Guess what? It's going to take a first round pick to get Manning. The Chiefs had to do so to land Montana at a similar stage of his career.

    2) Who wouldn't? Problem is teams don't let legit quality quartebacks go- unless they happen to have a spare in waiting.

    3) So let's go short term again, one and done in the playoffs, and back to 3-12 when Manning retires in two years. No thanks.

    Manning is due a large roster bonus I believe. If that is the case he might not go for a first rounder depending on what there new regime wants to do. If he is due sick money another team might not anti up much for him.

    And ... Manning could help Colt become a good NFL QB if Colt can learn from him for 2 or 3 years. So the Browns post Manning could improve as well.

    And most importantly we are going to prob go 4-12 without Manning and not make the playoffs anyway. We might as well enjoy a good season or 2. The browns have done nothing to make us think anything different other then lose. Why would that be any different now. Atleast Manning single handly gives us a legit shot to win any game.

    @jnuh said:

    We might as well enjoy a good season or 2.

    short term success vs. long term success. so did DA's miracle of '07 really make you feel that much better about this terrible franchise? how'd you feel in '08?

    its just not worth it....surrendering resources for a short term injury risk thatalso serves to hinder our search for our franchise guy. no thanks, i want a team not smoke and mirrors.

  • @jnuh said:

    We might as well enjoy a good season or 2.

    short term success vs. long term success. so did DA's miracle of '07 really make you feel that much better about this terrible franchise? how'd you feel in '08?

    its just not worth it....surrendering resources for a short term injury risk thatalso serves to hinder our search for our franchise guy. no thanks, i want a team not smoke and mirrors.

    @choco said:

    short term success vs. long term success. so did DA's miracle of '07 really make you feel that much better about this terrible franchise? how'd you feel in '08?

    its just not worth it....surrendering resources for a short term injury risk thatalso serves to hinder our search for our franchise guy. no thanks, i want a team not smoke and mirrors.

    Again ... If we had to give up first rounders I wouldn't do it. I agree with Neo though in the sense that Manning would breed success down the road. He isn't DA even at this stage in his career. He would help McCoy out tremedously (or whatever young QB we bring in) So it isn't just him play on the field I want it is the attitude he would bring.

    I am looking at it more as if the Colts were to cut him we should go after him hard. It certainly couldn't hurt. Obviously given up multiple picks including first/second rounders would hurt us longterm. If for some reason we could talk him into coming here if the Colts cut him he would instantly upgrade our team.

    And yes 2007 did make me feel better. I actually got to enjoy football for a year and I would love to enjoy it again.

  • @choco said:

    short term success vs. long term success. so did DA's miracle of '07 really make you feel that much better about this terrible franchise? how'd you feel in '08?

    its just not worth it....surrendering resources for a short term injury risk thatalso serves to hinder our search for our franchise guy. no thanks, i want a team not smoke and mirrors.

    Again ... If we had to give up first rounders I wouldn't do it. I agree with Neo though in the sense that Manning would breed success down the road. He isn't DA even at this stage in his career. He would help McCoy out tremedously (or whatever young QB we bring in) So it isn't just him play on the field I want it is the attitude he would bring.

    I am looking at it more as if the Colts were to cut him we should go after him hard. It certainly couldn't hurt. Obviously given up multiple picks including first/second rounders would hurt us longterm. If for some reason we could talk him into coming here if the Colts cut him he would instantly upgrade our team.

    And yes 2007 did make me feel better. I actually got to enjoy football for a year and I would love to enjoy it again.

    @jnuh said:

    Again ... If we had to give up first rounders I wouldn't do it. I agree with Neo though in the sense that Manning would breed success down the road. He isn't DA even at this stage in his career. He would help McCoy out tremendously (or whatever young QB we bring in) So it isn't just him play on the field I want it is the attitude he would bring.

    I am looking at it more as if the Colts were to cut him we should go after him hard. It certainly couldn't hurt. Obviously given up multiple picks including first/second rounders would hurt us long term. If for some reason we could talk him into coming here if the Colts cut him he would instantly upgrade our team.

    And yes 2007 did make me feel better. I actually got to enjoy football for a year and I would love to enjoy it again.

    Get it through your head now- the Colts WILL NOT cut Manning. Glad to see you think giving up first rounders is a bad idea. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT WILL TAKE TO GET MANNING.

    Plus, at this stage of his career, get it through your head Manning is not going to miraculously lead the Browns to a Super Bowl win in 2013. 10-6 and one and done in the playoffs isn't good enough- because that's what Manning brings to the Browns- just like he did with the Colts in 2010 when he was healthy. So how does this past Browns season make you feel? Get ready for a bunch of them when Manning retires, or gets carted off the field with a broken neck.

  • What if we got Peyton as a Player-Coach? 😎 QB/OC now; OC/HC in 3 years?

    hoorta,

    Understand we're not talkin' FA here, but after all he's done for Indy, I have to believe that Peyton would have a BIG say in where he'd be moved... if he's moved...

    Fun thread...

  • @jnuh said:

    Again ... If we had to give up first rounders I wouldn't do it. I agree with Neo though in the sense that Manning would breed success down the road. He isn't DA even at this stage in his career. He would help McCoy out tremendously (or whatever young QB we bring in) So it isn't just him play on the field I want it is the attitude he would bring.

    I am looking at it more as if the Colts were to cut him we should go after him hard. It certainly couldn't hurt. Obviously given up multiple picks including first/second rounders would hurt us long term. If for some reason we could talk him into coming here if the Colts cut him he would instantly upgrade our team.

    And yes 2007 did make me feel better. I actually got to enjoy football for a year and I would love to enjoy it again.

    Get it through your head now- the Colts WILL NOT cut Manning. Glad to see you think giving up first rounders is a bad idea. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT WILL TAKE TO GET MANNING.

    Plus, at this stage of his career, get it through your head Manning is not going to miraculously lead the Browns to a Super Bowl win in 2013. 10-6 and one and done in the playoffs isn't good enough- because that's what Manning brings to the Browns- just like he did with the Colts in 2010 when he was healthy. So how does this past Browns season make you feel? Get ready for a bunch of them when Manning retires, or gets carted off the field with a broken neck.

    @hoorta said:

    Get it through your head now- the Colts WILL NOT cut Manning. Glad to see you think giving up first rounders is a bad idea. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT WILL TAKE TO GET MANNING.

    Plus, at this stage of his career, get it through your head Manning is not going to miraculously lead the Browns to a Super Bowl win in 2013. 10-6 and one and done in the playoffs isn't good enough- because that's what Manning brings to the Browns- just like he did with the Colts in 2010 when he was healthy. So how does this past Browns season make you feel? Get ready for a bunch of them when Manning retires, or gets carted off the field with a broken neck.

    You really have no clue what the Colts are going to do with Manning. If he is due a large roster bonus they may trade him for whatever they can get for him if teams aren't willing to give up a first rounder. No one really knows at this point how things are going to play out.

    We have been a terrible team since 1999 ... and that doesn't seem to be changing. That is the exact reason I want Peyton. At this point what do we have to lose we suck and will probably continue to suck anyway. Atleast Peyton if only for a year could get us to 10-6 and a playoff birth. Then we suck the next 3 years ... the other option is we suck in 2012 with no manning and then suck the next 3 years anyway ... You see the difference now??

  • @hoorta said:

    Get it through your head now- the Colts WILL NOT cut Manning. Glad to see you think giving up first rounders is a bad idea. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT WILL TAKE TO GET MANNING.

    Plus, at this stage of his career, get it through your head Manning is not going to miraculously lead the Browns to a Super Bowl win in 2013. 10-6 and one and done in the playoffs isn't good enough- because that's what Manning brings to the Browns- just like he did with the Colts in 2010 when he was healthy. So how does this past Browns season make you feel? Get ready for a bunch of them when Manning retires, or gets carted off the field with a broken neck.

    You really have no clue what the Colts are going to do with Manning. If he is due a large roster bonus they may trade him for whatever they can get for him if teams aren't willing to give up a first rounder. No one really knows at this point how things are going to play out.

    We have been a terrible team since 1999 ... and that doesn't seem to be changing. That is the exact reason I want Peyton. At this point what do we have to lose we suck and will probably continue to suck anyway. Atleast Peyton if only for a year could get us to 10-6 and a playoff birth. Then we suck the next 3 years ... the other option is we suck in 2012 with no manning and then suck the next 3 years anyway ... You see the difference now??

    @jnuh said:

    You really have no clue what the Colts are going to do with Manning. If he is due a large roster bonus they may trade him for whatever they can get for him if teams aren't willing to give up a first rounder. No one really knows at this point how things are going to play out.

    We have been a terrible team since 1999 ... and that doesn't seem to be changing. That is the exact reason I want Peyton. At this point what do we have to lose we suck and will probably continue to suck anyway. Atleast Peyton if only for a year could get us to 10-6 and a playoff birth. Then we suck the next 3 years ... the other option is we suck in 2012 with no manning and then suck the next 3 years anyway ... You see the difference now??

    You're assuming he's going to be healthy the entire season. I doubt he'd last 6 weeks in the AFCN. This is a dude in his mid-30's with 3 neck injuries. If he has one more, his career is over. Spend that money elsewhere, please.

  • @hoorta said:

    Get it through your head now- the Colts WILL NOT cut Manning. Glad to see you think giving up first rounders is a bad idea. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT WILL TAKE TO GET MANNING.

    Plus, at this stage of his career, get it through your head Manning is not going to miraculously lead the Browns to a Super Bowl win in 2013. 10-6 and one and done in the playoffs isn't good enough- because that's what Manning brings to the Browns- just like he did with the Colts in 2010 when he was healthy. So how does this past Browns season make you feel? Get ready for a bunch of them when Manning retires, or gets carted off the field with a broken neck.

    You really have no clue what the Colts are going to do with Manning. If he is due a large roster bonus they may trade him for whatever they can get for him if teams aren't willing to give up a first rounder. No one really knows at this point how things are going to play out.

    We have been a terrible team since 1999 ... and that doesn't seem to be changing. That is the exact reason I want Peyton. At this point what do we have to lose we suck and will probably continue to suck anyway. Atleast Peyton if only for a year could get us to 10-6 and a playoff birth. Then we suck the next 3 years ... the other option is we suck in 2012 with no manning and then suck the next 3 years anyway ... You see the difference now??

    @jnuh said:

    If he is due a large roster bonus they may trade him for whatever they can get for him if teams aren't willing to give up a first rounder. No one really knows at this point how things are going to play out.

    Agree that the story is no where near written yet, but pressure could be much greater than a mere roster bonus...

    From Chris Mortensen, ESPN (09-12-2011)... http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6957652/peyton-manning-indianapolis-colts-collects-3-million-roster-bonus

    The Colts can opt out of Manning's contract after this year. They have that option because Manning instructed agent Tom Condon to protect the team if he doesn't have the positive recovery doctors expect.

    In other words Peyton played nice looking out for Indy. Now he's been "surprised" by the front office firings and probably doesn't know what to think.

    I have a feeling things could get real ugly in Indy... and if Indy gets pushed up against the deadline to exercise their option, Peyton's price might drop big-time. One thing for sure, Indy fans will not like Irsay effin' with their favorite son. While I don't see it getting Farve-GB bad, it could get bad...

    That said, still no way I see Peyton ending up in CLE...

  • @hoorta said:

    Get it through your head now- the Colts WILL NOT cut Manning. Glad to see you think giving up first rounders is a bad idea. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT WILL TAKE TO GET MANNING.

    Plus, at this stage of his career, get it through your head Manning is not going to miraculously lead the Browns to a Super Bowl win in 2013. 10-6 and one and done in the playoffs isn't good enough- because that's what Manning brings to the Browns- just like he did with the Colts in 2010 when he was healthy. So how does this past Browns season make you feel? Get ready for a bunch of them when Manning retires, or gets carted off the field with a broken neck.

    You really have no clue what the Colts are going to do with Manning. If he is due a large roster bonus they may trade him for whatever they can get for him if teams aren't willing to give up a first rounder. No one really knows at this point how things are going to play out.

    We have been a terrible team since 1999 ... and that doesn't seem to be changing. That is the exact reason I want Peyton. At this point what do we have to lose we suck and will probably continue to suck anyway. Atleast Peyton if only for a year could get us to 10-6 and a playoff birth. Then we suck the next 3 years ... the other option is we suck in 2012 with no manning and then suck the next 3 years anyway ... You see the difference now??

    @jnuh said:

    You really have no clue what the Colts are going to do with Manning. If he is due a large roster bonus they may trade him for whatever they can get for him if teams aren't willing to give up a first rounder. No one really knows at this point how things are going to play out.

    We have been a terrible team since 1999 ... and that doesn't seem to be changing. That is the exact reason I want Peyton. At this point what do we have to lose we suck and will probably continue to suck anyway. Atleast Peyton if only for a year could get us to 10-6 and a playoff birth. Then we suck the next 3 years ... the other option is we suck in 2012 with no manning and then suck the next 3 years anyway ... You see the difference now??

    I see you're being unrealistic. Holmgren and Heckert are committed to building the Browns through the draft, not bringing in a guy in his mid 30s who's one hit away from retirement.

    KC thought the same way when they traded for Montana. That got them two good years- and no ring. Sorry, if you think making the playoffs is good enough- I don't. I'm old enough to remember Red Right 88, the Drive and Fumble. We're coming up on 50 years since the Browns last won a Championship- and they're one of the few remaining teams that hasn't been to a Super Bowl- it's about time. You're dreaming if you think Manning has enough gas left in the tank to take the Browns there. Farve couldn't do it for the Vikings, and they had a way better team than the Browns.