Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Fire Shurmer?

Fire Shurmer?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
14 Posts 12 Posters 1.5k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Smotage S
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Reputation
    S Smotage wrote on last edited by
    #1

    How was this guy an OC in the NFL? Twice... Twice.... Twice he called a draw play within the 8 yard line? Not going for it fourth and inches on the road, against Pukesburg, on the first drive of the game, when you're a 20 point underdog???? Running to Marecic on third down with Hillis when that is 100% clear what you are going to do? Inept playcalling has no excuse, and I for one am tired of it. I can understand players losing on the field, but the coach is losing us games.

    D 1 Reply Last reply
    👍
    Quote Reply
    • dj_illness D
      • 353 Posts
      • 3 Reputation
      D dj_illness wrote on last edited by
      #2

      he's an idiot for sure.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • hx214 hx214H One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 1k Posts
        • 474 Reputation
        hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I can't understand not calling a QB sneak on the half yard line... WTF.

        Again, I've seen eleven year olds call Madden games better than this clown.

        Then not going for it on fourth down.... did he really think 3 points was going to get it done?

        The Italian DawgPoundT 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • S Smotage

          How was this guy an OC in the NFL? Twice... Twice.... Twice he called a draw play within the 8 yard line? Not going for it fourth and inches on the road, against Pukesburg, on the first drive of the game, when you're a 20 point underdog???? Running to Marecic on third down with Hillis when that is 100% clear what you are going to do? Inept playcalling has no excuse, and I for one am tired of it. I can understand players losing on the field, but the coach is losing us games.

          dawg08 D
          • 501 Posts
          • 13 Reputation
          D dawg08 wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @smotage said:

          How was this guy an OC in the NFL? Twice... Twice.... Twice he called a draw play within the 8 yard line? Not going for it fourth and inches on the road, against Pukesburg, on the first drive of the game, when you're a 20 point underdog???? Running to Marecic on third down with Hillis when that is 100% clear what you are going to do? Inept playcalling has no excuse, and I for one am tired of it. I can understand players losing on the field, but the coach is losing us games.

          Shurmur is no doubt the biggest dumbass out on that field on game day. His predictable and shetty play-calling has cost this team at least 3 games. Ask the Ram fans they know that he's a piece of dung and they were glad to get rid of him!! He's clueless and lets hope that he doesn't call another offensive play after this year!!

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • Gips GipsG
            • 3k Posts
            • 34 Reputation
            GipsG Gips wrote on last edited by Gips
            #5

            Shurmur is an idiot not unlike the last 2 idiot coaches we have had, only difference is they call this overly conservative joke of a coach an offensive minded coach lemme tell ya RAC was more offensive minded than this 5 and dime pea brained dunce..

            Putting colt back in rattled after seneca made a great throw pretty much finishes my evaluation of shurmur and the rams fans were right we have an overly conservative playcalling idiot as our head coach that plays to lose, just another lerner instantly approved guy that dont know the secrets of winning, clearly holmgren gave fritz's baby nephew this job on our nickel and lerner give holmgren his job on our backs..

            Just like players coaches either have the instinct or they dont and clearly squirmer doesnt..

            We have been rebuilding since 1964, Why stop now? GO BROWNS!
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • hx214H hx214

              I can't understand not calling a QB sneak on the half yard line... WTF.

              Again, I've seen eleven year olds call Madden games better than this clown.

              Then not going for it on fourth down.... did he really think 3 points was going to get it done?

              The Italian DawgPound The Italian DawgPoundT
              • 478 Posts
              • 18 Reputation
              The Italian DawgPoundT The Italian DawgPound wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @hx214 said:

              I can't understand not calling a QB sneak on the half yard line... WTF.

              Then not going for it on fourth down.... did he really think 3 points was going to get it done?

              Consider that we went for a QB sneak at midfield later on in the game. And it worked perfectly.

              Shurmur has got a lot to answer today.

              All the way from Torino to Cleveland: GO BROWNS!!!!!!!
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Bob806 Bob806B Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 5k Posts
                • 2k Reputation
                Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
                #7

                Yes, I've never disliked a new coach so quickly. It was not a good idea to change defensive schemes, and have a rookie head coach at the same time.

                I doubt they can him, but so-called genius Holmgren better get him a qualified Offensive Coordinator, and some WRs.

                Why wasn't Ogbonnaya playing more? He's better than Hardesty.

                Karlis Missed
                hx214H 1 Reply Last reply
                👍
                Quote Reply
                • Bob806B Bob806

                  Yes, I've never disliked a new coach so quickly. It was not a good idea to change defensive schemes, and have a rookie head coach at the same time.

                  I doubt they can him, but so-called genius Holmgren better get him a qualified Offensive Coordinator, and some WRs.

                  Why wasn't Ogbonnaya playing more? He's better than Hardesty.

                  hx214 hx214H One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 1k Posts
                  • 474 Reputation
                  hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @bob806 said:

                  Yes, I've never disliked a new coach so quickly. It was not a good idea to change defensive schemes, and have a rookie head coach at the same time.

                  I doubt they can him, but so-called genius Holmgren better get him a qualified Offensive Coordinator, and some WRs.

                  Why wasn't Ogbonnaya playing more? He's better than Hardesty.

                  Ogbonnaya does seem to be hitting the holes with much more speed than he was when he started. That draw play on 3rd and long, he looked like he shifted into a gear I haven't seen before.

                  If I was coach, I'd seriously think about starting Hillis at Fullback and letting Ogbonnaya and Hardesty split carries behind him (or hell, let Cribbs run it behind him)or split into the Pro Set formation. They haven't run well out of the singleback formation at all. I think Hillis would cause some issues for a defense out of the backfield with another RB behind him. You could hand it to him, have him lead block, or throw it to him on play action. Not to mention it allows them to keep more of their weapons on the field at once.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • CantonLegend C
                    • 490 Posts
                    • 25 Reputation
                    C CantonLegend wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    great idea.....fire a coach less than a year after he gets hired......genius

                    god you browns fans are so smart

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • LA Rams L
                      • 13 Posts
                      • 2 Reputation
                      L LA Rams wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      As a fifty year Ram fan I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say Shurmur was the most universally hated Ram OC since the late fifties. His play calling was timid to the point of lunacy. Totally disgusting with no balls. It seemed 99% of 3rd down pass completions in the "Murmur" offense were thrown short of the first down. Getting rid of Shurmur was a glorious day for Ram fans. I couldn't believe anyone would be stupid enough to hire him, particularly as a HC.

                      Having said all that I watched the Steelers game last night and Shurmur has come a long way. He's gone from being a total wuss to a guy that can call a decent game. I didn't agree with everything in the Steeler game, I couldn't believe he didn't go with the QB sneak at the goal line, but all in all you guys have no idea how badly he sucked for the Rams.

                      There could be a few things going on:

                      First, it's possible Shurmur is learning and developing his play calling skills. This isn't likely, you either have the God-given talent to know how to manage a game or you don't - but it is possible.

                      Secondly, it turns out Sam Bradford may actually really suck - Bradford could end up being a bust, he's been awful this year. It's possible Shurmur dialed it down last year because it was his only option.

                      Colt McCoy looks infinitely better than Sam Bradford, and Shurmur is letting McCoy do a lot more than he let Bradford do last year.

                      I don't know what the bottom line is, like I said, if it's any consolation Shurmur is a million times better (more aggressive) with the Browns as he was with the Rams.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • dj_illness D
                        • 353 Posts
                        • 3 Reputation
                        D dj_illness wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        this game appeared to be an abberation.. WAY more throws downfield than most other games.

                        Also, Schumur will have a LOT to answer for regarding the concussion incident.

                        i hope the national exposure and this incident either get him fired or magically transform him into a good coach.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • BrownIndian BrownIndianB
                          • 2k Posts
                          • 39 Reputation
                          BrownIndianB BrownIndian wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          You know what I would do if i were Holmgren ? I would hire Jack Del Rio to be the HC and demote Shurmur to OC.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • Xanthros XanthrosX
                            • 247 Posts
                            • 33 Reputation
                            XanthrosX Xanthros wrote on last edited by Xanthros
                            #13

                            Last night lost me on Shurmer. First off Hardesty has shown absolutely nothing except he can get injured often. Why he had the most carries is beyond me. Then the amount of garbage runs up the middle was astounding. Nothing to the outside. No screens. Amazing. Then to put a QB that had just gotten laid out and was obviously not in charge of his faculties back in the game was downright irresponsible. I even called Big Ben coming back in the 2nd half. But it was a leg injury not his skull cracked open. I hope that the league looks into this with the same scrutiny as they will obviously give the Harrison hit. I'm guilty for calling for stability, but the ineptitude of the coaching in a perfectly winnable game last night crossed the line for me....

                            Holmgren has MAJOR responsibility to answer for now as well IMO...

                            Who let the DAWGS out??
                            F 1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • XanthrosX Xanthros

                              Last night lost me on Shurmer. First off Hardesty has shown absolutely nothing except he can get injured often. Why he had the most carries is beyond me. Then the amount of garbage runs up the middle was astounding. Nothing to the outside. No screens. Amazing. Then to put a QB that had just gotten laid out and was obviously not in charge of his faculties back in the game was downright irresponsible. I even called Big Ben coming back in the 2nd half. But it was a leg injury not his skull cracked open. I hope that the league looks into this with the same scrutiny as they will obviously give the Harrison hit. I'm guilty for calling for stability, but the ineptitude of the coaching in a perfectly winnable game last night crossed the line for me....

                              Holmgren has MAJOR responsibility to answer for now as well IMO...

                              Frenchie F Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                              • 605 Posts
                              • 77 Reputation
                              F Frenchie wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @xanthros said:

                              Last night lost me on Shurmer. First off Hardesty has shown absolutely nothing except he can get injured often. Why he had the most carries is beyond me. Then the amount of garbage runs up the middle was astounding. Nothing to the outside. No screens. Amazing. Then to put a QB that had just gotten laid out and was obviously not in charge of his faculties back in the game was downright irresponsible. I even called Big Ben coming back in the 2nd half. But it was a leg injury not his skull cracked open. I hope that the league looks into this with the same scrutiny as they will obviously give the Harrison hit. I'm guilty for calling for stability, but the ineptitude of the coaching in a perfectly winnable game last night crossed the line for me....

                              Holmgren has MAJOR responsibility to answer for now as well IMO...

                              I was about to write the exact same thing, so thank you for saving me some time. If this is a trial year for McCoy, it should be the same for Shurmer. He was riding the fence IMO until this game. With their record, what was he thinking on third and goal from the 1ft. line? It's two plays starting with a QB sneek. No way should he have settled for a field goal. I would have easily accepted turning the ball over if we were unsuccessful.

                              Furthermore, the decision to put him McCoy back after the KO was crazy. He was popped in the head and hurt his hand. Seneca is just as good as McCoy and was handling things well. I believe Seneca would have scored but again, would have accepted it had he not. If you're an NFL head coach, you shouldn't be making these kind of mistakes. So I say yes, this game proves we need to move forward on both McCoy and Shurmer. Sorry, but I've seen enough.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply

                              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                              With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                              Register Login
                              Reply
                              • Reply as topic
                              Log in to reply
                              • Oldest to Newest
                              • Newest to Oldest
                              • Most Votes


                              Theme
                              • System
                              • Light
                              • Dark
                              The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                              The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                              • First post
                                Last post
                              0
                              • Forums
                              • Recent
                              • Popular
                              • Users
                              • Donate