Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Blueprint

Blueprint

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
9 Posts 5 Posters 600 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
    • 57k Posts
    • 4k Reputation
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Going forward with the Browns, I think it is clear that they need to have some sort of Blueprint in front of them for development. That blueprint for potential success could possibly come from the organization that many people running the Browns have connections with, i.e. the Philadelphia Eagles. By that I mean that the Eagles were being built with speed, speed, and more speed. So, here is what the Browns do:

    1. Draft their version of Michael Vick, and of course that means Robert Griffin III out of Baylor with their early 1st round pick.

    2. Draft their version of Shady McCoy, and that person could be LaMichael James of Oregon, who seems to be the fastest back available in this draft, except for some specialty players I will talk about later. He may not be the exact clone of McCoy, but he could be the Lightning to Payton Hillis's thunder.

    3. Draft their versions of Jerry Maclin and DeSean Jackson (hell, they might could get Jackson himself in FA, but we will defer on that), that is, draft for speed at WR. You can find speed further down the line....ask the Steelers who got both of their speed receivers in later rounds. Look at RGIII's teammate at Baylor, Kendall Wright. He has the best times of anyone out there not named Blackmon, who will probably not be available to the Browns. Or, Jarious Wright from Arkansas.

    4. Beyond that, there could be some speedsters later in the draft. Two Florida guys come to mind: Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps, both of whom ran in the 4.3 range in the 40, and both of whom could return kicks. They are listed as RB/WR/KR in the scouting reports. What they are is fast apparently.

    5. Of course, one of those first 3 picks the Browns have will have to go for a defensive player. If it is at the end of the first, top of the second there will be several LBs and DBs available, perhaps even a DE...all of which the Browns need.

    But, the key element is indeed to draft for speed. Something this team sorely lacks on offense.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • DawginIT D
      • 278 Posts
      • 22 Reputation
      D DawginIT wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I agree about drafting for speed but I don't think James is coming out and I think he will be too small for the league. I STILL think they gotta give Armond Smith his chance. I like Kendall Wright at the late first or second round pick. I disagree on RGIII though. I like Barkley better than Griffin AND Luck but I also don't think the Browns NEED to take a quarterback but won't be opposed to it. I also like Levon Brazil from Ohio who has lightening speed and Jordan White from Western Michigan.

      The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • D DawginIT

        I agree about drafting for speed but I don't think James is coming out and I think he will be too small for the league. I STILL think they gotta give Armond Smith his chance. I like Kendall Wright at the late first or second round pick. I disagree on RGIII though. I like Barkley better than Griffin AND Luck but I also don't think the Browns NEED to take a quarterback but won't be opposed to it. I also like Levon Brazil from Ohio who has lightening speed and Jordan White from Western Michigan.

        The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
        • 57k Posts
        • 4k Reputation
        The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @dawginit said:

        I agree about drafting for speed but I don't think James is coming out and I think he will be too small for the league. I STILL think they gotta give Armond Smith his chance. I like Kendall Wright at the late first or second round pick. I disagree on RGIII though. I like Barkley better than Griffin AND Luck but I also don't think the Browns NEED to take a quarterback but won't be opposed to it. I also like Levon Brazil from Ohio who has lightening speed and Jordan White from Western Michigan.

        OK, well, you can shove Barkley where the sun don't shine......and James is every bit as good as Armond Smith....though I am not opposed to giving Smith his chance. As for him being too small.....can you say Maurice Jones-Drew? Darnell Sproles?

        I see James as an up to date Eric Metcalf type. A scatback.

        As for the others you meniton, I am not familiar, but if they are fast they are worth a look.

        N 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • The GipperT The Gipper

          @dawginit said:

          I agree about drafting for speed but I don't think James is coming out and I think he will be too small for the league. I STILL think they gotta give Armond Smith his chance. I like Kendall Wright at the late first or second round pick. I disagree on RGIII though. I like Barkley better than Griffin AND Luck but I also don't think the Browns NEED to take a quarterback but won't be opposed to it. I also like Levon Brazil from Ohio who has lightening speed and Jordan White from Western Michigan.

          OK, well, you can shove Barkley where the sun don't shine......and James is every bit as good as Armond Smith....though I am not opposed to giving Smith his chance. As for him being too small.....can you say Maurice Jones-Drew? Darnell Sproles?

          I see James as an up to date Eric Metcalf type. A scatback.

          As for the others you meniton, I am not familiar, but if they are fast they are worth a look.

          Nw220 N
          • 1k Posts
          • 27 Reputation
          N Nw220 wrote on last edited by Nw220
          #4

          @the-gipper said:

          OK, well, you can shove Barkley where the sun don't shine......and James is every bit as good as Armond Smith....though I am not opposed to giving Smith his chance. As for him being too small.....can you say Maurice Jones-Drew? Darnell Sproles?

          I see James as an up to date Eric Metcalf type. A scatback.

          As for the others you meniton, I am not familiar, but if they are fast they are worth a look.

          Eric Metcalf is a closer comparison to James rather than Sproles or Jones Drew...Jones Drew is alot thicker than James his legs look like tree stumps and Sproles is also alot thicker than James...I think James may be a good ST return man but i worry about how is body will hold up in the NFL hes already been hurt in the Pac 12 which scares me....

          The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • N Nw220

            @the-gipper said:

            OK, well, you can shove Barkley where the sun don't shine......and James is every bit as good as Armond Smith....though I am not opposed to giving Smith his chance. As for him being too small.....can you say Maurice Jones-Drew? Darnell Sproles?

            I see James as an up to date Eric Metcalf type. A scatback.

            As for the others you meniton, I am not familiar, but if they are fast they are worth a look.

            Eric Metcalf is a closer comparison to James rather than Sproles or Jones Drew...Jones Drew is alot thicker than James his legs look like tree stumps and Sproles is also alot thicker than James...I think James may be a good ST return man but i worry about how is body will hold up in the NFL hes already been hurt in the Pac 12 which scares me....

            The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
            • 57k Posts
            • 4k Reputation
            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @nw220 said:

            Eric Metcalf is a closer comparison to James rather than Sproles or Jones Drew...Jones Drew is alot thicker than James his legs look like tree stumps and Sproles is also alot thicker than James...I think James may be a good ST return man but i worry about how is body will hold up in the NFL hes already been hurt in the Pac 12 which scares me....

            Well, James will NOT be expected to carry the inside work load. Like I said, he is to be the scatback, the change of pace back, the third down back perhaps. We have Hillis, and maybe Hardesty to do the interior slug work. The question is whether or not we should invest the low first round or high second round pick on him.

            N 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • ColtMyBoy C
              • 7 Posts
              • 0 Reputation
              C ColtMyBoy wrote on last edited by
              #6

              I want them to look at Cyrus Gray out of Texas A&M. Has speed and great hands coming out of the backfield. I think he is projected 3rd to 5th round.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • The GipperT The Gipper

                @nw220 said:

                Eric Metcalf is a closer comparison to James rather than Sproles or Jones Drew...Jones Drew is alot thicker than James his legs look like tree stumps and Sproles is also alot thicker than James...I think James may be a good ST return man but i worry about how is body will hold up in the NFL hes already been hurt in the Pac 12 which scares me....

                Well, James will NOT be expected to carry the inside work load. Like I said, he is to be the scatback, the change of pace back, the third down back perhaps. We have Hillis, and maybe Hardesty to do the interior slug work. The question is whether or not we should invest the low first round or high second round pick on him.

                Nw220 N
                • 1k Posts
                • 27 Reputation
                N Nw220 wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @the-gipper said:

                Well, James will NOT be expected to carry the inside work load. Like I said, he is to be the scatback, the change of pace back, the third down back perhaps. We have Hillis, and maybe Hardesty to do the interior slug work. The question is whether or not we should invest the low first round or high second round pick on him.

                Too high MAYBE the third round pick thats as high as id go with him, if we could get Lamar Miller in the 2nd that would be a steal..I actually think he may have a better Trent Richardson as to where you would have to take them and there value,there are people who think Miller will have a better NFL career...What i like about him is his burst compared to Richardson he is considered the best UM running back prospect since McGahee.

                Other guys to keep in mind are Doug Martin this little guy is in the Ray Rice/Jones Drew mold and is exteremly underrated...

                Also dont forget Jeff Demps he is a burner we could get with a late pick..

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 9k Posts
                  • 2k Reputation
                  ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
                  #8

                  No doubt we are a fairly slow team, and speed makes up for deficiencies in other areas. Speed is something you can't coach. Either your guys have it or they don't.

                  I am not sure you need that at QB.

                  I like a mobile QB no doubt, but I also like one who gets everything else.

                  That isn't to say RGIII can't, won't, or shouldn't be the guy.

                  I am just saying speed of foot shouldn't be much of a factor at that position.

                  If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                  The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • ballpeenB ballpeen

                    No doubt we are a fairly slow team, and speed makes up for deficiencies in other areas. Speed is something you can't coach. Either your guys have it or they don't.

                    I am not sure you need that at QB.

                    I like a mobile QB no doubt, but I also like one who gets everything else.

                    That isn't to say RGIII can't, won't, or shouldn't be the guy.

                    I am just saying speed of foot shouldn't be much of a factor at that position.

                    The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                    • 57k Posts
                    • 4k Reputation
                    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @ballpeen said:

                    No doubt we are a fairly slow team, and speed makes up for deficiencies in other areas. Speed is something you can't coach. Either your guys have it or they don't.

                    I am not sure you need that at QB.

                    I like a mobile QB no doubt, but I also like one who gets everything else.

                    That isn't to say RGIII can't, won't, or shouldn't be the guy.

                    I am just saying speed of foot shouldn't be much of a factor at that position.

                    Yes. I would much prefer speed at the WR or RB position, and if we could get Blackmon that would be great. But if he is not available they might look elsewhere.

                    And correct me if I am wrong, wasn't it Heckert who brought Michael Vick into Philly after Vick's prison term and suspension? If so, clearly then they might like to go for a similar product, if you will. And RGIII with his 4.3 speed would be that product.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply

                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                    With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                    Register Login
                    Reply
                    • Reply as topic
                    Log in to reply
                    • Oldest to Newest
                    • Newest to Oldest
                    • Most Votes


                    Theme
                    • System
                    • Light
                    • Dark
                    The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                    The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                    • First post
                      Last post
                    0
                    • Forums
                    • Recent
                    • Popular
                    • Users
                    • Donate