Skip to content

Mel Kiper on DA

The Browns Board
34 16 2.3k
  • Josh (C-bus, OH): Do you see the Brownies unloading DA for some draft picks and if so to whom, and what picks could they get?

    SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:10 PM ET ) They have to. There are some teams out there, like the Cowboys that would be a good team for him to go to. That's a good team for him to go to in a trade, that needs a good backup QB. The Giants could use a good backup. Those kinds of teams would be possibilities. You maybe could get a fourth round pick. The problem is that Dallas gave up a lot of picks for Roy Williams. At one point this year, it looked like if they traded DA, you could get a second rounder. But they can get something for Anderson.

    via here.

    mz. said:

    via here.

    Who the hell is Mel Kiper?

    I thought he was a draftnick, not an evaluator of NFL talent and team needs.

    That jamoke brokered quite a career for himself. A legend in his own mind.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Ouch. Kiper sees him only as a backup. What a Quinn Fag.

    Made me laugh out loud! Perfect!

  • First let us see what we will receive in return for DA. If we dont get moneys worth then it is not worth it. Is he alone the single money hogging factor in our team that risks us going beyond the salary cap ?

  • mz. said:

    I'm not against keeping Anderson as a back-up. But I think we can get someone on the cheap as a backup to Quinn (I'm sure there will plenty of OK guys available this offseason) and use the cap money on, say, a LB, DE, or RB perhaps. Even though we aren't in "cap hell," there's no real reason to to mind the cap properly/prudently...

    I see the biggest problem as the $5 mil roster bonus due in March. I don't know when in March, but that isn't too far away. If his bonus wasn't due until after the draft it would be a lot better. Some teams may want us to pay the bonus against our cap and then offer up a trade of a draft pick or picks.

    He becomes very cheap for some club if we pay the roster bonus and I don't think any money after this year is guaranteed.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    I see the biggest problem as the $5 mil roster bonus due in March.

    This is why he won't be here.

  • @shepwrite said:

    I really like Kiper, BTW. I think he's one of the smartest guys out there.

    Agreed.

  • @shepwrite said:

    I really like Kiper, BTW. I think he's one of the smartest guys out there.

    The Browns can't keep Anderson for two reasons: One, he's a former starter who is only about a year older than Quinn, perpetuating the sense of an ongoing competition and a fractured locker room. Not good.

    More tangibly, Anderson makes about 7 mill on the cap next year, a sick figure for a backup unless you have no other pressing needs. We have other pressing needs.

    at least someone on here gets it. Those BQ and DA Cant be on the same team and have any sort of harmony. the team would be split.

  • First let us see what we will receive in return for DA. If we dont get moneys worth then it is not worth it. Is he alone the single money hogging factor in our team that risks us going beyond the salary cap ?

    @brownindian said:

    First let us see what we will receive in return for DA. If we dont get moneys worth then it is not worth it. Is he alone the single money hogging factor in our team that risks us going beyond the salary cap ?

    Once the NFL readjusts the cap the Browns should be about $15 mil under it. Now I don't know if that is with or without Anderson. I would figure it would be with him. They also will free up some cap space if McGinest, Davis and S. Smith are released. Trading Anderson before March would be another $7 mil. When Quinn becomes a starter his salary readjusts upward based on taking so many % of the snaps. Jones is the only big FA and he wants big money over 4 years. If they don't resign him, they need to go out and get another safety. Also, a top 5 draft pick will be a big hit on the cap.

    Biggest decision is that Winslow wants new contracts and I believe Edwards's expires after next year. Their contracts will eat up some big cap money. So, do you trade Winslow now and fill a big need in FA and get some additional picks or do you give him a new contract and have to forgo a big name FA? What's his value to a new coach?

    I think our biggest cap hit is Rogers. Cory Williams also has a nice contract. Do you trade him back to a 4-3 team and maybe get a 2nd round pick for him. Stallworth is a killer and I believe his contract had about $9 million or more guaranteed, so if we dump him that entire bonus he was paid becomes cap money.

  • @brownindian said:

    First let us see what we will receive in return for DA. If we dont get moneys worth then it is not worth it. Is he alone the single money hogging factor in our team that risks us going beyond the salary cap ?

    Once the NFL readjusts the cap the Browns should be about $15 mil under it. Now I don't know if that is with or without Anderson. I would figure it would be with him. They also will free up some cap space if McGinest, Davis and S. Smith are released. Trading Anderson before March would be another $7 mil. When Quinn becomes a starter his salary readjusts upward based on taking so many % of the snaps. Jones is the only big FA and he wants big money over 4 years. If they don't resign him, they need to go out and get another safety. Also, a top 5 draft pick will be a big hit on the cap.

    Biggest decision is that Winslow wants new contracts and I believe Edwards's expires after next year. Their contracts will eat up some big cap money. So, do you trade Winslow now and fill a big need in FA and get some additional picks or do you give him a new contract and have to forgo a big name FA? What's his value to a new coach?

    I think our biggest cap hit is Rogers. Cory Williams also has a nice contract. Do you trade him back to a 4-3 team and maybe get a 2nd round pick for him. Stallworth is a killer and I believe his contract had about $9 million or more guaranteed, so if we dump him that entire bonus he was paid becomes cap money.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Biggest decision is that Winslow wants new contracts and I believe Edwards's expires after next year. Their contracts will eat up some big cap money. So, do you trade Winslow now and fill a big need in FA and get some additional picks or do you give him a new contract and have to forgo a big name FA? What's his value to a new coach?

    Winslow should be valuable to ANY coach, regardless of what rich or Ghoolie claim.

    Anderson would make a fine backup for us, but he's too expensive under his current deal. Why not re-sign Jones, save space for a future re-p or re-up with Winslow and Edwards now, sign the #5 pick, and maybe sign an additional FA LB or DE along with a cheapish backup QB? This seems incredibly possible given our situation.

  • @shepwrite said:

    I wouldn't lose Winslow in a month of Sundays. He and Quinn should work really well together next year, especially in Callahan's WCO.

    Me either!

  • @shepwrite said:

    I wouldn't lose Winslow in a month of Sundays. He and Quinn should work really well together next year, especially in Callahan's WCO.

    Me either!!

  • You have to have a true starting QB in the NFL not a #1 and #1a. Quinn has been annointed as the starter for next season so DA is as good as gone. I think the Browns will take what they can get for him , after the HC & GM have been hired, so they can target a FA backup and start prepping BQ ASAP with the new HC and OC.

  • You have to have a true starting QB in the NFL not a #1 and #1a. Quinn has been annointed as the starter for next season so DA is as good as gone. I think the Browns will take what they can get for him , after the HC & GM have been hired, so they can target a FA backup and start prepping BQ ASAP with the new HC and OC.

    @wvbrownsfan said:

    Quinn has been annointed as the starter for next season

    In fairness to Lums and Derek, Quinn was named the starter by a coach who isn't with the organization any longer. But yes, a mere formality...

  • By the looks of the press conference with Thomas and Quinn, I'm thinking he was anointed by the owner as well.

  • @shepwrite said:

    I really like Kiper, BTW. I think he's one of the smartest guys out there.

    Agreed.

    mz. said:

    Agreed.

    Not to NFL personnel directors, though.

    Kind of like getting your news from Comedy Central.

  • I trust Kiper's assessments way more than I do those of some of the monkeys manning NFL front offices.

  • Zombo said:

    Keeping Anderson as backup HERE seems like a no-brainer to me. Who else do we have?

    So he'll be expensive ... we aren't in cap hell.

    If we plan on being competitive next year, we need a legitimate backup Quarterback.

    Zombo

    We always plan on being competitive next year. Hell, every Football season we plan on being competitive the next year. It just rarely happens.

  • When Quinn and Thomas were at the press conference after the firings, that was Lerner saying to any future HC ,"This is the starting QB of the Cleveland Browns, now you can handle the rest."

  • If the Browns trade DA, wouldn't the acquiring team need to pay the roster bonus?

  • Yes. This is why trading him to a team that sees him as a back-up isn't going to happen.

    That there's starter's money.

  • Mangini Quote: "I can win with Brady Quinn"

    Jim Donovan just reported that he told this to lerner in the interview and it was the final factor swingin things in Mangni's favor ....

    i guess this is pretty obvious isn't it...