Skip to content

Matt Flynn Likely To Be A Free Agent

The Browns Board
21 13 1.4k
  • V Vizion wrote on last edited by
    #1

    http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/226468/report-packers-unlikely-to-tag-qb-matt-flynn

    I really think this is the best option. We won't have to give up any picks for him. I think we have a few teams to worry about as far as bidding for his service, but he'd fit in here since he's been in the type of offense we run and I'd prefer him to trading up and giving away picks for RG3. A Flynn and McCoy competition would only be good for this team and we could fill the rest of the holes through the draft.

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #2

    As much as I like RGIII and his potential, Flynn intrigues me a lot. He knows the system we run, he's learned under a top 2-3 QB in the NFL and under the best offense overall in the NFL. Even though he has only made 2 starts he does fit perfectly into the browns system. Not to mention I'm sure Holmgren has some ties or connections in the Green Bay organization. The only thing that worries me is that he's going to wield a big contract, my guess in the 7-8 mill a year range. We have the money but that's a big gamble

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #3

    It's a big gamble for someone who has had 2 very good games against shaky defenses with an AWESOME group of receivers.

  • B blowe wrote on last edited by
    #4

    you really think he will get 7-8 mil/season? I doubt it. he is kevin kolb and matt cassell in my opinion. he hasn't proven anything, to me at least

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #5

    I think he will get 7-8 million from someone but I am not sure we should be that team. Kolb and Cassell are great recent examples. Scott Mitchell one from the past who parlayed a few good games into a giant free agent deal that never panned out.

    I guess a question is what was the last free agent QB that really did help the team that he went to?

  • B brownfish wrote on last edited by brownfish
    #6

    Yes, we will probably have to give up at least a 2nd round pick...if not a first. Green Bay will place a franchise tag on him as fast as Sean Connerey can slap a woman in the face.

    if we can get Tom Clements with the deal I'm in...of course still a chance that the Saints could shock everyone and trade Drew B. and then pick up this kid? I think he used to play for LSU...stranger things have happened.

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #7

    I think if they franchise tag him then he's also guarenteed a bigger contract than 7-8 million.

  • Yes, we will probably have to give up at least a 2nd round pick...if not a first. Green Bay will place a franchise tag on him as fast as Sean Connerey can slap a woman in the face.

    if we can get Tom Clements with the deal I'm in...of course still a chance that the Saints could shock everyone and trade Drew B. and then pick up this kid? I think he used to play for LSU...stranger things have happened.

    V Vizion wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @brownfish said:

    Yes, we will probably have to give up at least a 2nd round pick...if not a first. Green Bay will place a franchise tag on him as fast as Sean Connerey can slap a woman in the face.

    if we can get Tom Clements with the deal I'm in...of course still a chance that the Saints could shock everyone and trade Drew B. and then pick up this kid? I think he used to play for LSU...stranger things have happened.

    Sigh, again it is highly unlikely that Green Bay wil place a franchise tag on him.

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #9

    yea, if I'm not mistaken placing a franchise tag on Flynn would require the packers to pay him the minimum of the top five salaries in the NFL in no one offers for him, which would also cost the team two 1st round picks. I highly doubt anyone would give up two 1st rounds for the guy and then they'd be stuck paying him more than Aaron Rodgers which is laughable.

    Matt Schaub and Cutler are examples of when this works, but Kolb (as of now) and Cassell not so much. Again, I trust the opinion of Holmgren on this one.

  • Yes, we will probably have to give up at least a 2nd round pick...if not a first. Green Bay will place a franchise tag on him as fast as Sean Connerey can slap a woman in the face.

    if we can get Tom Clements with the deal I'm in...of course still a chance that the Saints could shock everyone and trade Drew B. and then pick up this kid? I think he used to play for LSU...stranger things have happened.

    B blowe wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @brownfish said:

    Yes, we will probably have to give up at least a 2nd round pick...if not a first. Green Bay will place a franchise tag on him as fast as Sean Connerey can slap a woman in the face.

    if we can get Tom Clements with the deal I'm in...of course still a chance that the Saints could shock everyone and trade Drew B. and then pick up this kid? I think he used to play for LSU...stranger things have happened.

    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

    the saints are not trading drew brees

  • Yes, we will probably have to give up at least a 2nd round pick...if not a first. Green Bay will place a franchise tag on him as fast as Sean Connerey can slap a woman in the face.

    if we can get Tom Clements with the deal I'm in...of course still a chance that the Saints could shock everyone and trade Drew B. and then pick up this kid? I think he used to play for LSU...stranger things have happened.

    W WJ Brownfan wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @brownfish said:

    Yes, we will probably have to give up at least a 2nd round pick...if not a first. Green Bay will place a franchise tag on him as fast as Sean Connerey can slap a woman in the face.

    if we can get Tom Clements with the deal I'm in...of course still a chance that the Saints could shock everyone and trade Drew B. and then pick up this kid? I think he used to play for LSU...stranger things have happened.

    That is the most foolish thing I've ever heard...Brees will always be a Saint.

  • Yes, we will probably have to give up at least a 2nd round pick...if not a first. Green Bay will place a franchise tag on him as fast as Sean Connerey can slap a woman in the face.

    if we can get Tom Clements with the deal I'm in...of course still a chance that the Saints could shock everyone and trade Drew B. and then pick up this kid? I think he used to play for LSU...stranger things have happened.

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @brownfish said:

    Yes, we will probably have to give up at least a 2nd round pick...if not a first. Green Bay will place a franchise tag on him as fast as Sean Connerey can slap a woman in the face.

    if we can get Tom Clements with the deal I'm in...of course still a chance that the Saints could shock everyone and trade Drew B. and then pick up this kid? I think he used to play for LSU...stranger things have happened.

    No, that's ridiculous. Why would the saints trade brees, a proven winner, in favor of Matt flynn, a nobody who's played like two games. Not saying flynn isn't good but trade brees? Gtfo.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #13

    If we get Flynn, it should be Coples or Blackmon with the 4.

  • I think if they franchise tag him then he's also guarenteed a bigger contract than 7-8 million.

    slimdawgS slimdawg wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @mark-o said:

    I think if they franchise tag him then he's also guarenteed a bigger contract than 7-8 million.

    I think it'll be around 14.5 mil..... I really can't imagine them doin that

  • If we get Flynn, it should be Coples or Blackmon with the 4.

    slimdawgS slimdawg wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @unsympathetic said:

    If we get Flynn, it should be Coples or Blackmon with the 4.

    I wouldn't mind couples....on another note j.j. watt is looking like he's gonna be a beast for houston

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Maybe if they'd pulled rogers (never happen) and flynn had won that game I could see them franchising then trading him, but as it is they probably let him walk. They've got rogers and he's in his prime, no need to go to those lengths for flynn.

  • @mark-o said:

    I think if they franchise tag him then he's also guarenteed a bigger contract than 7-8 million.

    I think it'll be around 14.5 mil..... I really can't imagine them doin that

    B bringbackbrownie2 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @slimdawg said:

    I think it'll be around 14.5 mil..... I really can't imagine them doin that

    Agreed. No way the Packers spend 14.5 million on a backup QB. No one would trade for him at that price and the Packers would be stuck with paying all the money. He will sign with someone else as a free agent..

  • A AlbinoRhino40 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Picking up Flynn this offseason would be a great move for the Browns... Him and McCoy can battle it out this year, one of them has to be good enough to be our guy

  • Yes, we will probably have to give up at least a 2nd round pick...if not a first. Green Bay will place a franchise tag on him as fast as Sean Connerey can slap a woman in the face.

    if we can get Tom Clements with the deal I'm in...of course still a chance that the Saints could shock everyone and trade Drew B. and then pick up this kid? I think he used to play for LSU...stranger things have happened.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #19

    @brownfish said:

    Yes, we will probably have to give up at least a 2nd round pick...if not a first. Green Bay will place a franchise tag on him as fast as Sean Connerey can slap a woman in the face.

    I hear that Sean Connery passed away today.

    Although I am also hearing that this may be a hoax.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #20

    This thread is too simplistic.

    I also hope the Browns pick up a top-flight FA.. but Flynn should not be that guy. The question isn't "Flynn or not?" but rather "Should Flynn be the one big FA signing the Browns will make?"

    That one FA signing should be Campbell, the DE from Arizona who just finished his rookie contract. He's a much more secure bet - and has more potential benefit to the Browns - than Flynn.