Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Political Discussion
  3. Gays In The Military

Gays In The Military

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Political Discussion
70 Posts 9 Posters 2.3k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #1

    Hey guys.

    I thought I'd start a whole new thread so the Newt thread doesn't have to be hijacked.

    🙂

    As far as I'm concerned, if 80 percent of the enlisted men and officers are fine with it then what's the problem?

    I find that number extremely hard to believe but.....

    WSS

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • MLD Woody MLD WoodyM Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Reacting Well One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
      • 33k Posts
      • 3k Reputation
      MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Thank you. See this is why I said you were sane.

      A lot of these enlisted men and women are young (well probably all of them), and come from a generation of tolerance and acceptance of gays. I'm not surprised at all the a high percentage don't care. And the ones that do are probably Southern Christians or something so whatareyougonnado?

      Ja.brill Peppers - Cleveland Brown OldBrownsFan, on 02 Jun 2017 - 5:09PM said: "No you are not the work of the devil but you are deceived by the devil." Who's got it better than us? Nooooobody!
      W 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody

        Thank you. See this is why I said you were sane.

        A lot of these enlisted men and women are young (well probably all of them), and come from a generation of tolerance and acceptance of gays. I'm not surprised at all the a high percentage don't care. And the ones that do are probably Southern Christians or something so whatareyougonnado?

        Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
        • 39k Posts
        • 9k Reputation
        W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @mld-woody said:

        Thank you. See this is why I said you were sane.

        A lot of these enlisted men and women are young (well probably all of them), and come from a generation of tolerance and acceptance of gays. I'm not surprised at all the a high percentage don't care. And the ones that do are probably Southern Christians or something so whatareyougonnado?

        Well remember woody, I said I found that number a little hard to believe.

        I suppose it could be for real.

        Keep in mind, however, that most who enlist in the service are probably a little further right than the average population.

        And I will repeat this point, that most of the people I've been in contact with who were honest to God queer haters arent religious at all. Nor are they republicans.

        I was a theater major in college so I was part of the straight minority. 😉

        WSS

        www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
        H 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • MLD Woody MLD WoodyM Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Reacting Well One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
          • 33k Posts
          • 3k Reputation
          MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
          #4

          There is one theater arts building on Michigan's north campus. North campus is 95% engineering, with this exception (and music). I always walk by that building wondering wtf those people do. They always seem like they are just standing around or goofing off. Nvr really doing any work. I can only think how much better off we'd be if we made that building for math or physics or something

          Ja.brill Peppers - Cleveland Brown OldBrownsFan, on 02 Jun 2017 - 5:09PM said: "No you are not the work of the devil but you are deceived by the devil." Who's got it better than us? Nooooobody!
          W 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody

            There is one theater arts building on Michigan's north campus. North campus is 95% engineering, with this exception (and music). I always walk by that building wondering wtf those people do. They always seem like they are just standing around or goofing off. Nvr really doing any work. I can only think how much better off we'd be if we made that building for math or physics or something

            Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
            • 39k Posts
            • 9k Reputation
            W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @mld-woody said:

            There is one theater arts building on Michigan's north campus. North campus is 95% engineering, with this exception (and music). I always walk by that building wondering wtf those people do. They always seem like they are just standing around or goofing off. Nvr really doing any work. I can only think how much better off we'd be if we made that building for math or physics or something

            LOL

            I'll assume that wasn't actually meant as an insult...

            Anyway I went to Akron and yep we're about the same as far as the engineering bit goes.

            man does not live by blueprints alone. 😁

            WSS

            www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • MLD Woody MLD WoodyM Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Reacting Well One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
              • 33k Posts
              • 3k Reputation
              MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
              #6

              But what do you guys DO?

              I was in that building for 20 minutes a few days ago and it was clear I am no where near fabulous enough to be a theater arts major

              Ja.brill Peppers - Cleveland Brown OldBrownsFan, on 02 Jun 2017 - 5:09PM said: "No you are not the work of the devil but you are deceived by the devil." Who's got it better than us? Nooooobody!
              W 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • W Westside Steve

                @mld-woody said:

                Thank you. See this is why I said you were sane.

                A lot of these enlisted men and women are young (well probably all of them), and come from a generation of tolerance and acceptance of gays. I'm not surprised at all the a high percentage don't care. And the ones that do are probably Southern Christians or something so whatareyougonnado?

                Well remember woody, I said I found that number a little hard to believe.

                I suppose it could be for real.

                Keep in mind, however, that most who enlist in the service are probably a little further right than the average population.

                And I will repeat this point, that most of the people I've been in contact with who were honest to God queer haters arent religious at all. Nor are they republicans.

                I was a theater major in college so I was part of the straight minority. 😉

                WSS

                heckofajobbrownie H
                • 6k Posts
                • 47 Reputation
                H heckofajobbrownie wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @westside-steve said:

                Well remember woody, I said I found that number a little hard to believe.

                I suppose it could be for real.

                Keep in mind, however, that most who enlist in the service are probably a little further right than the average population.

                And I will repeat this point, that most of the people I've been in contact with who were honest to God queer haters arent religious at all. Nor are they republicans.

                I was a theater major in college so I was part of the straight minority. 😉

                WSS

                Steve, you keep trotting out this anecdotal trope about how the real racists are union Democrats. And now the real homophobes are the secular Democrats. It's pretty comical. Also, you know a bunch of Republicans in here, as well as a few Democrats/liberals. Who are the ones who hate gays in here?

                So, instead of continuing on with this nonsense, why don't you look at any - any - national survey done on these questions. You'll find that racial resentment is higher in the Republican Party than in the Democratic Party. (We've even discussed some of them.) And you'll find that negative opinions of homosexuality are far more prevalent in the Republican Party, and among people who describe themselves as religious in particular. The best predictors of someone who disapproves of homosexuality? Age, whether or not they're a Republican, and whether or not they're religious.

                W 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • heckofajobbrownie H
                  • 6k Posts
                  • 47 Reputation
                  H heckofajobbrownie wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  As for gays in the military, now that the new policy is in place we'll soon find out that all of the scary warnings about what would happen if we couldn't discharge gay people for being openly gay, and how that's going to affect unit cohesion, weren't true. And things will go on the way they always have. It's not going to be a big deal.

                  Just like how states with gay marriage haven't suddenly seen a collapse - or even an effect - on straight marriages. Because being gay isn't a problem, or a disorder, or even weird. It's just what 2%-4% of the population is, will be, and always was.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • H heckofajobbrownie

                    @westside-steve said:

                    Well remember woody, I said I found that number a little hard to believe.

                    I suppose it could be for real.

                    Keep in mind, however, that most who enlist in the service are probably a little further right than the average population.

                    And I will repeat this point, that most of the people I've been in contact with who were honest to God queer haters arent religious at all. Nor are they republicans.

                    I was a theater major in college so I was part of the straight minority. 😉

                    WSS

                    Steve, you keep trotting out this anecdotal trope about how the real racists are union Democrats. And now the real homophobes are the secular Democrats. It's pretty comical. Also, you know a bunch of Republicans in here, as well as a few Democrats/liberals. Who are the ones who hate gays in here?

                    So, instead of continuing on with this nonsense, why don't you look at any - any - national survey done on these questions. You'll find that racial resentment is higher in the Republican Party than in the Democratic Party. (We've even discussed some of them.) And you'll find that negative opinions of homosexuality are far more prevalent in the Republican Party, and among people who describe themselves as religious in particular. The best predictors of someone who disapproves of homosexuality? Age, whether or not they're a Republican, and whether or not they're religious.

                    Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                    • 39k Posts
                    • 9k Reputation
                    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @heckofajobbrownie said:

                    Steve, you keep trotting out this anecdotal trope about how the real racists are union Democrats. And now the real homophobes are the secular Democrats. It's pretty comical. Also, you know a bunch of Republicans in here, as well as a few Democrats/liberals. Who are the ones who hate gays in here?

                    So, instead of continuing on with this nonsense, why don't you look at any - any - national survey done on these questions. You'll find that racial resentment is higher in the Republican Party than in the Democratic Party. (We've even discussed some of them.) And you'll find that negative opinions of homosexuality are far more prevalent in the Republican Party, and among people who describe themselves as religious in particular. The best predictors of someone who disapproves of homosexuality? Age, whether or not they're a Republican, and whether or not they're religious.

                    Maybe you noticed what I was responding to.

                    Remember the claim that the anti gays in the military must be southern and religious.

                    Simmer down.

                    WSS

                    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • MLD Woody MLD WoodyM Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Reacting Well One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
                      • 33k Posts
                      • 3k Reputation
                      MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      I said probably

                      Ja.brill Peppers - Cleveland Brown OldBrownsFan, on 02 Jun 2017 - 5:09PM said: "No you are not the work of the devil but you are deceived by the devil." Who's got it better than us? Nooooobody!
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody

                        But what do you guys DO?

                        I was in that building for 20 minutes a few days ago and it was clear I am no where near fabulous enough to be a theater arts major

                        Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                        • 39k Posts
                        • 9k Reputation
                        W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
                        #11

                        @mld-woody said:

                        But what do you guys DO?

                        I was in that building for 20 minutes a few days ago and it was clear I am no where near fabulous enough to be a theater arts major

                        Well, like any other major you have various related subjects.

                        You might learn history of the theater like the globe theatre or kabuki or greek or what ever it maybe.

                        There are a lot of different acting classes ranging from the more modern stanislavski method to the classics. Dialect projection dramatically reading voice stuff. Improvisation.

                        Then there were stage movement blocking and even a little bit of dance.

                        Besides being on stage stuff was the stage craft part of it all building the sex painting the scrims hanging the light cans. Stagecraft guys had to put up the sets for whatever plays were being done in the school theatre.

                        Also you got stuck with a few communications classes radio broadcasting tv that horseshit.

                        But mostly we drank beer and chased dames.

                        And I was a great Falstaff!

                        😉

                        WSS

                        www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • MLD Woody MLD WoodyM Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Reacting Well One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
                          • 33k Posts
                          • 3k Reputation
                          MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
                          #12
                          But mostly we drank beer and chased dames.

                          The numbers were definitely in your favor.

                          Maybe I'll knock out a general elective there......

                          Ja.brill Peppers - Cleveland Brown OldBrownsFan, on 02 Jun 2017 - 5:09PM said: "No you are not the work of the devil but you are deceived by the devil." Who's got it better than us? Nooooobody!
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • sadbrownsfan S
                            • 1k Posts
                            • 41 Reputation
                            S sadbrownsfan wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            If they are willing to server and protect the US, that is FABULOUS. 😎

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                              • 64k Posts
                              • 8k Reputation
                              C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              If there had been openly gays in the military,

                              a whole LOT of us would never have joined.

                              So there. Libs want OPENLY gays in the military,

                              because they hate the military, says I.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                                • 64k Posts
                                • 8k Reputation
                                C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                If they are willing to server and protect the US, that is FABULOUS. 😎

                                ***********************************

                                maybe if we want the UN to storm our shores and take our privately owned guns.

                                But I do get your point....🙄

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • heckofajobbrownie H
                                  • 6k Posts
                                  • 47 Reputation
                                  H heckofajobbrownie wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  I like to picture an old dude in a shack, holding a shotgun, waiting for enemies that never come.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                                    • 64k Posts
                                    • 8k Reputation
                                    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    Oh, stop with the "fear" thing. It's more like the refusal to associate with. You haven't been in the military,

                                    you will never understand. And your slur about "religious" and "southern" is dumb.

                                    That's why somebody isn't gay? Because they are "religious" and "southern" ?

                                    The fear mongering, and bigoty is on the guy in your mirror.

                                    well, unless Heck is standing next to you. Then I just don't want to know.🤔

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • heckofajobbrownie H
                                      • 6k Posts
                                      • 47 Reputation
                                      H heckofajobbrownie wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      "51% of the general public in the United States think that "homosexual behavior" is morally wrong (38% "completely agreeing" it is morally wrong and 13% "somewhat agreeing"). Males and people over 65 years old are more likely to think it is wrong. Among people who don't know someone who is LGB, 61% think the behavior is wrong. Broken down by religion, 60% of evangelical Christians think that it is wrong, whereas 11% with no religious affiliation are against it.

                                      ...A solid majority of Catholics and white mainline Protestants (56% and 55% respectively) favor allowing gay and lesbian couples to legally marry, compared to only 23% of white evangelical Protestants.

                                      ...Sixty-one percent of 18-34 year olds support allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry, but so do nearly 6-in-10 (57%) Americans between the ages of 35 and 49.

                                      ...Nearly 8-in-10 (77%) Americans who are not affiliated with any religion support same-sex marriage.

                                      So clearly, like Steve was saying, the real homophobes are liberal Democrats who aren't religious.

                                      C 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                                        • 64k Posts
                                        • 8k Reputation
                                        C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        I guess they polled a hundred people in San Francisco.

                                        Libs demand links...

                                        they don't want to link themselves, though....

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • H heckofajobbrownie

                                          "51% of the general public in the United States think that "homosexual behavior" is morally wrong (38% "completely agreeing" it is morally wrong and 13% "somewhat agreeing"). Males and people over 65 years old are more likely to think it is wrong. Among people who don't know someone who is LGB, 61% think the behavior is wrong. Broken down by religion, 60% of evangelical Christians think that it is wrong, whereas 11% with no religious affiliation are against it.

                                          ...A solid majority of Catholics and white mainline Protestants (56% and 55% respectively) favor allowing gay and lesbian couples to legally marry, compared to only 23% of white evangelical Protestants.

                                          ...Sixty-one percent of 18-34 year olds support allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry, but so do nearly 6-in-10 (57%) Americans between the ages of 35 and 49.

                                          ...Nearly 8-in-10 (77%) Americans who are not affiliated with any religion support same-sex marriage.

                                          So clearly, like Steve was saying, the real homophobes are liberal Democrats who aren't religious.

                                          Chicopee John C
                                          • 2k Posts
                                          • 104 Reputation
                                          C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @heckofajobbrownie said:

                                          "51% of the general public in the United States think that "homosexual behavior" is morally wrong (38% "completely agreeing" it is morally wrong and 13% "somewhat agreeing"). Males and people over 65 years old are more likely to think it is wrong. Among people who don't know someone who is LGB, 61% think the behavior is wrong. Broken down by religion, 60% of evangelical Christians think that it is wrong, whereas 11% with no religious affiliation are against it.

                                          ...A solid majority of Catholics and white mainline Protestants (56% and 55% respectively) favor allowing gay and lesbian couples to legally marry, compared to only 23% of white evangelical Protestants.

                                          ...Sixty-one percent of 18-34 year olds support allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry, but so do nearly 6-in-10 (57%) Americans between the ages of 35 and 49.

                                          ...Nearly 8-in-10 (77%) Americans who are not affiliated with any religion support same-sex marriage.

                                          So clearly, like Steve was saying, the real homophobes are liberal Democrats who aren't religious.

                                          Not sure of the source of your stats, Heck - I don't necessarily read each and every post in detail - but, given the number of demographic groups cited above, it makes me wonder why this wasn't broken out by 'ethnic group' as well.

                                          Did you omit those numbers? Did the researchers overlook this key demographic? If so, why?

                                          Makes me kind of wonder.

                                          "God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy."
                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate