Skip to content

Just A Reminder

The Browns Board
86 25 3.6k
  • I call them as I see them... not all will agree with me...But when Colt is a backup QB and Flynn is in...you will see I wasnt too far off base...

    Dude you don't know me...

  • Zombo said:

    Charlie Frye was a third round nobody. Brady Quinn was Savage's folly: a reach that wasted not only that first round pick, but the first and second we traded to get him. One of the worst trades in NFL history for a QB that was dropping down the charts like he had a boulder strapped to his leg.

    Couch is the only time we went out and drafted a franchise QB. He didn't work out, he go the shit beat out of him on that expansion team. Everybody else was a shot in the dark.

    Meanwhile the Bungles drafted Palmer and Dalton, the Steelers drafted BGB and the Ravens drafted Flacco. Those teams were playing in January while we talking about giving the plucky third rounder some more weapons ... yay!

    You want a sure-fire ticket to failure? Keep drafting your QBs in the late rounds hoping one of them is Tom Brady.

    Zombo

    Or you can be like the Bungles Z- let's take Dave Kingler spread qb (RGIII), or one year wonder fast riser Ah-kill-me Smith. (RGIII goes from nowhere to Irsay talking him up as a #1 overall) How how far did playing qb roulette set the Bengals back? Couple of years each time? BTW, the Bungles hit on second round picks Esiason and Dalton, so there. Griffin's had a couple of decent years, but also been injured twice, and he's not 250 pounds like Cam Newton- in fact no bigger than McCoy- just (slightly) more mobile with a better arm. Pro accuracy into covered receivers, and reading pro defenses yet to be determined. Jamarcus Russell & Duante Culpepper could throw the ball through a car wash, and have it come out dry on the other side, so pure physical attributes are over rated in my book.

    Every time a team drafts a qb they hope they're drafting the next Manning or Brady- but it almost never works out. Gabbert and Ponder aren't doing any better than McCoy- with about an equal body of work- so should the Vikes take RGIII?

    You me or anyone else can't say for certainty Tannehill won't be a better pro qb than RGIII.

  • Holmgren has built his reputation on QBs. He believes you build a team around a QB. He won't say Colt is the starter next year, but will name one soon after another QB is brought in. Hmmm.

    If your going to bring in the Charlie Batch, Jordan Palmer, Luke McCown, Seneca Wallace types then why not call Colt the starter? Why wait til after you bring in a backup to call Colt the starter? Unless Holmgren is a stupid dick this isn't happening.

    So then if you jump to bringing in starting level talent in FA your going to pay a lot of money. You don't spend that kind of money to 'compete' with a 3rd round project. Unless Holmgren is a stupid dick Colt won't start in that situation.

    So then if you pick a top level prospect in the 1st or 2nd you get a guy that starts day one, unless Holmgren is a stupid dick.

    The only other option is draft a raw rookie to compete with McCoy. So why not declare McCoy the starter since he 'should' be able to beat out raw talent just based off of system experience? Unless Holmgren is a stupid dick this isn't happening.

    The ONLY way Colt starts next year is if and only if someone Holmgren is targeting is not there in the draft or signs elsewhere in FA. Colt is not his guy for the future. Every game he starts is a complete waste of time.

    I have my fingers crossed that Homgren isn't a stupid dick.

  • Holmgren has built his reputation on QBs. He believes you build a team around a QB. He won't say Colt is the starter next year, but will name one soon after another QB is brought in. Hmmm.

    If your going to bring in the Charlie Batch, Jordan Palmer, Luke McCown, Seneca Wallace types then why not call Colt the starter? Why wait til after you bring in a backup to call Colt the starter? Unless Holmgren is a stupid dick this isn't happening.

    So then if you jump to bringing in starting level talent in FA your going to pay a lot of money. You don't spend that kind of money to 'compete' with a 3rd round project. Unless Holmgren is a stupid dick Colt won't start in that situation.

    So then if you pick a top level prospect in the 1st or 2nd you get a guy that starts day one, unless Holmgren is a stupid dick.

    The only other option is draft a raw rookie to compete with McCoy. So why not declare McCoy the starter since he 'should' be able to beat out raw talent just based off of system experience? Unless Holmgren is a stupid dick this isn't happening.

    The ONLY way Colt starts next year is if and only if someone Holmgren is targeting is not there in the draft or signs elsewhere in FA. Colt is not his guy for the future. Every game he starts is a complete waste of time.

    I have my fingers crossed that Homgren isn't a stupid dick.

    @htownbrown said:

    Holmgren has built his reputation on QBs. He believes you build a team around a QB. He won't say Colt is the starter next year, but will name one soon after another QB is brought in. Hmmm.

    see, this is a primary assumption for your entire post. and it has no basis in fact that i can see. the rest is just rambling...

  • @htownbrown said:

    Holmgren has built his reputation on QBs. He believes you build a team around a QB. He won't say Colt is the starter next year, but will name one soon after another QB is brought in. Hmmm.

    see, this is a primary assumption for your entire post. and it has no basis in fact that i can see. the rest is just rambling...

    @choco said:

    see, this is a primary assumption for your entire post. and it has no basis in fact that i can see. the rest is just rambling...

    ((((((((((Holmgren backtracks on previous comments about not wanting a quarterback competition. "Sometimes circumstances dictate that," he said. "Last year the job was his. Competition will take place, but the decision I think probably will come earlier.")))))))))

    The rest is logical deduction.

  • RGIII didn't come out of nowhere. College football fans like myself have known about him

  • But, there was plenty of talk earlier years, about Flacco, Eli being possible busts.

    Bradshaw was railed about as being a bust.

    It isn't the fault of the qb when the right side of the oline isn't getting the protection right,

    and the wr's can't quickly get open and aren't burners to stretch the field.

    How bad is it, that the closest thing to a stretch the field receiver, *before Little*, that the Browns had,

    was Ben Watson? If Edwards had been a work ethic, smart, hard working football player who loved the game...

    the Browns would have been in far better shape. If you keep this offense the same, and only add RGIII, he will be

    sadly considered a bust too, and his stats will suck, and "his" record will suck.

    So, fix the major weaknesses and get a qb next year. Or, draft RGIII, and fail to fill one the badly needed

    weak spots on the offense... and defense.

    Or, somehow come up with four first round freakin picks and I'd be happy to be in "Pick RGIII at #4".

    Improving? at qb is hardly the same as fixing the offense's dire weaknesses. Fix, then improve, I think.

  • RGIII didn't come out of nowhere. College football fans like myself have known about him

    @mld-woody said:

    RGIII didn't come out of nowhere. College football fans like myself have known about him

    Oh, college football fans such as yourself, huh? We must all be so lucky to have a college football fan such as yourself in our midst.

    I meant his draft stock wasn't nearly the same as it has become this year. Until this season, he was a mid-round project QB, even with the good numbers he was putting up.

  • But, there was plenty of talk earlier years, about Flacco, Eli being possible busts.

    Bradshaw was railed about as being a bust.

    It isn't the fault of the qb when the right side of the oline isn't getting the protection right,

    and the wr's can't quickly get open and aren't burners to stretch the field.

    How bad is it, that the closest thing to a stretch the field receiver, *before Little*, that the Browns had,

    was Ben Watson? If Edwards had been a work ethic, smart, hard working football player who loved the game...

    the Browns would have been in far better shape. If you keep this offense the same, and only add RGIII, he will be

    sadly considered a bust too, and his stats will suck, and "his" record will suck.

    So, fix the major weaknesses and get a qb next year. Or, draft RGIII, and fail to fill one the badly needed

    weak spots on the offense... and defense.

    Or, somehow come up with four first round freakin picks and I'd be happy to be in "Pick RGIII at #4".

    Improving? at qb is hardly the same as fixing the offense's dire weaknesses. Fix, then improve, I think.

    @calfoxwc said:

    But, there was plenty of talk earlier years, about Flacco, Eli being possible busts.

    Bradshaw was railed about as being a bust.

    It isn't the fault of the qb when the right side of the oline isn't getting the protection right,

    and the wr's can't quickly get open and aren't burners to stretch the field.

    How bad is it, that the closest thing to a stretch the field receiver, *before Little*, that the Browns had,

    was Ben Watson? If Edwards had been a work ethic, smart, hard working football player who loved the game...

    the Browns would have been in far better shape. If you keep this offense the same, and only add RGIII, he will be

    sadly considered a bust too, and his stats will suck, and "his" record will suck.

    So, fix the major weaknesses and get a qb next year. Or, draft RGIII, and fail to fill one the badly needed

    weak spots on the offense... and defense.

    Or, somehow come up with four first round freakin picks and I'd be happy to be in "Pick RGIII at #4".

    Improving? at qb is hardly the same as fixing the offense's dire weaknesses. Fix, then improve, I think.

    Exactly.

  • But, there was plenty of talk earlier years, about Flacco, Eli being possible busts.

    Bradshaw was railed about as being a bust.

    It isn't the fault of the qb when the right side of the oline isn't getting the protection right,

    and the wr's can't quickly get open and aren't burners to stretch the field.

    How bad is it, that the closest thing to a stretch the field receiver, *before Little*, that the Browns had,

    was Ben Watson? If Edwards had been a work ethic, smart, hard working football player who loved the game...

    the Browns would have been in far better shape. If you keep this offense the same, and only add RGIII, he will be

    sadly considered a bust too, and his stats will suck, and "his" record will suck.

    So, fix the major weaknesses and get a qb next year. Or, draft RGIII, and fail to fill one the badly needed

    weak spots on the offense... and defense.

    Or, somehow come up with four first round freakin picks and I'd be happy to be in "Pick RGIII at #4".

    Improving? at qb is hardly the same as fixing the offense's dire weaknesses. Fix, then improve, I think.

    @calfoxwc said:

    But, there was plenty of talk earlier years, about Flacco, Eli being possible busts.

    Bradshaw was railed about as being a bust.

    It isn't the fault of the qb when the right side of the oline isn't getting the protection right,

    and the wr's can't quickly get open and aren't burners to stretch the field.

    How bad is it, that the closest thing to a stretch the field receiver, *before Little*, that the Browns had,

    was Ben Watson? If Edwards had been a work ethic, smart, hard working football player who loved the game...

    the Browns would have been in far better shape. If you keep this offense the same, and only add RGIII, he will be

    sadly considered a bust too, and his stats will suck, and "his" record will suck.

    So, fix the major weaknesses and get a qb next year. Or, draft RGIII, and fail to fill one the badly needed

    weak spots on the offense... and defense.

    Or, somehow come up with four first round freakin picks and I'd be happy to be in "Pick RGIII at #4".

    Improving? at qb is hardly the same as fixing the offense's dire weaknesses. Fix, then improve, I think.

    Yeah, even if RGIII is the next Cam Newton, that's not good enough to get the Browns to the Super Bowl in 2013. I say follow the Steeler model- get everything in place, and if McCoy can't cut it draft the qb next year.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    But, there was plenty of talk earlier years, about Flacco, Eli being possible busts.

    Bradshaw was railed about as being a bust.

    It isn't the fault of the qb when the right side of the oline isn't getting the protection right,

    and the wr's can't quickly get open and aren't burners to stretch the field.

    How bad is it, that the closest thing to a stretch the field receiver, *before Little*, that the Browns had,

    was Ben Watson? If Edwards had been a work ethic, smart, hard working football player who loved the game...

    the Browns would have been in far better shape. If you keep this offense the same, and only add RGIII, he will be

    sadly considered a bust too, and his stats will suck, and "his" record will suck.

    So, fix the major weaknesses and get a qb next year. Or, draft RGIII, and fail to fill one the badly needed

    weak spots on the offense... and defense.

    Or, somehow come up with four first round freakin picks and I'd be happy to be in "Pick RGIII at #4".

    Improving? at qb is hardly the same as fixing the offense's dire weaknesses. Fix, then improve, I think.

    Yeah, even if RGIII is the next Cam Newton, that's not good enough to get the Browns to the Super Bowl in 2013. I say follow the Steeler model- get everything in place, and if McCoy can't cut it draft the qb next year.

    @hoorta said:

    Yeah, even if RGIII is the next Cam Newton, that's not good enough to get the Browns to the Super Bowl in 2013. I say follow the Steeler model- get everything in place, and if McCoy can't cut it draft the qb next year.

    this...

    how many QBs are we gonna ruin before people realize you need a team around him to succeed.

  • @mld-woody said:

    RGIII didn't come out of nowhere. College football fans like myself have known about him

    Oh, college football fans such as yourself, huh? We must all be so lucky to have a college football fan such as yourself in our midst.

    I meant his draft stock wasn't nearly the same as it has become this year. Until this season, he was a mid-round project QB, even with the good numbers he was putting up.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Oh, college football fans such as yourself, huh? We must all be so lucky to have a college football fan such as yourself in our midst.

    I meant his draft stock wasn't nearly the same as it has become this year. Until this season, he was a mid-round project QB, even with the good numbers he was putting up.

    I've known about Griffin since he was coming out of high school but I do live down here in Big 12 country so that might have a bit to do with it. While he might not be your prototypical QB he is a big play threat once he steps onto the field and has proven that from day 1 at Baylor. I know a lot of you have your concerns with the guy and I'm no different but he does have the potential to be something special. I don't think the same can be said of Colt. Hekert has done a great job so far so I have faith that he'll make the right call. This draft should be really interesting to say the least

  • @hoorta said:

    Yeah, even if RGIII is the next Cam Newton, that's not good enough to get the Browns to the Super Bowl in 2013. I say follow the Steeler model- get everything in place, and if McCoy can't cut it draft the qb next year.

    this...

    how many QBs are we gonna ruin before people realize you need a team around him to succeed.

    @choco said:

    this...

    how many QBs are we gonna ruin before people realize you need a team around him to succeed.

    you see it this way, I and others see it as "how many bad QB's are we going to bring it before we land a franchise one". Evidence shows that building the team or getting the QB first can work, but I think the careers of our guys have shown we just have missed on QB talent for a long time. If our future franchise guys of Quinn, Frye or Anderson were that good, they would have been starters somewhere else. As of now they are all dying on depth charts on teams with much greater talent that we have had. I think the bottom line is that we've lacked talent at the QB position for a long, long time. Luckily, we finally have a guy in the FO who knows the position and will make the best decision for the team

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Oh, college football fans such as yourself, huh? We must all be so lucky to have a college football fan such as yourself in our midst.

    I meant his draft stock wasn't nearly the same as it has become this year. Until this season, he was a mid-round project QB, even with the good numbers he was putting up.

    I've known about Griffin since he was coming out of high school but I do live down here in Big 12 country so that might have a bit to do with it. While he might not be your prototypical QB he is a big play threat once he steps onto the field and has proven that from day 1 at Baylor. I know a lot of you have your concerns with the guy and I'm no different but he does have the potential to be something special. I don't think the same can be said of Colt. Hekert has done a great job so far so I have faith that he'll make the right call. This draft should be really interesting to say the least

    @taco918 said:

    I don't think the same can be said of Colt.

    it was said about colt before his draft, all throughout his first year, this past offseason, and is still trumpeted by some to this very day. he was the winning-est college QB ever. then the same was said about brady quinn....comes from a pro offense, hometown guy that lit it up at notre dame.

    next year, we'll be saying the same things about another prospect. know why? because theyre prospects. all of them have the potential to be great. griffin is no different than anyone else in that regard.....

    how do we, ever single year, become so awestruck by an athlete that people any and every red flag is ignored? has there not been enough examples of athletes having a tough adjustment period in the NFL to keep people from going, immediately, from prospect to franchise QB in first year?

  • @choco said:

    this...

    how many QBs are we gonna ruin before people realize you need a team around him to succeed.

    you see it this way, I and others see it as "how many bad QB's are we going to bring it before we land a franchise one". Evidence shows that building the team or getting the QB first can work, but I think the careers of our guys have shown we just have missed on QB talent for a long time. If our future franchise guys of Quinn, Frye or Anderson were that good, they would have been starters somewhere else. As of now they are all dying on depth charts on teams with much greater talent that we have had. I think the bottom line is that we've lacked talent at the QB position for a long, long time. Luckily, we finally have a guy in the FO who knows the position and will make the best decision for the team

    @jrb12711 said:

    you see it this way, I and others see it as "how many bad QB's are we going to bring it before we land a franchise one".

    oh i see....i guess we didn't ruin couch, right? we had a franchise QB in him....im sorry, where's our lombardi again?

    so i guess you just keep wasting picks hoping that you hit on one of them. sounds like a good plan to me....griffin and luck are likely to be the last franchise QB's ever, so we better do whatever we have to to get him.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    you see it this way, I and others see it as "how many bad QB's are we going to bring it before we land a franchise one".

    oh i see....i guess we didn't ruin couch, right? we had a franchise QB in him....im sorry, where's our lombardi again?

    so i guess you just keep wasting picks hoping that you hit on one of them. sounds like a good plan to me....griffin and luck are likely to be the last franchise QB's ever, so we better do whatever we have to to get him.

    @choco said:

    oh i see....i guess we didn't ruin couch, right? we had a franchise QB in him....im sorry, where's our lombardi again?

    so i guess you just keep wasting picks hoping that you hit on one of them. sounds like a good plan to me....griffin and luck are likely to be the last franchise QB's ever, so we better do whatever we have to to get him.

    It's funny how you always miss the points. We missed on Couch, there's no doubt about that. But we haven't had a franchise QB in Cleveland in a long time either. I'm not even saying you're wrong, because unlike most people I don't claim to have even close to the knowledge it takes to properly rate a QB in the NFL. But I can see the trends of the NFL and I can hear what Holmgren has said directly and indirectly. He's not sold on Colt as a franchise guy and has stated more than once he's going to bring in competition. To me, I ask why bring in competition if it's a potential franchise guy? In all likelihood, if you asked my opinion today I see crazy ass Dan Synder selling his soul and draft to the Rams for luck/RGIII. But can you just accept that Holmgren knows what the hell he's doing and if he changes QB's which I think he will he's a lot more correct about it than anyone else.

  • @choco said:

    oh i see....i guess we didn't ruin couch, right? we had a franchise QB in him....im sorry, where's our lombardi again?

    so i guess you just keep wasting picks hoping that you hit on one of them. sounds like a good plan to me....griffin and luck are likely to be the last franchise QB's ever, so we better do whatever we have to to get him.

    It's funny how you always miss the points. We missed on Couch, there's no doubt about that. But we haven't had a franchise QB in Cleveland in a long time either. I'm not even saying you're wrong, because unlike most people I don't claim to have even close to the knowledge it takes to properly rate a QB in the NFL. But I can see the trends of the NFL and I can hear what Holmgren has said directly and indirectly. He's not sold on Colt as a franchise guy and has stated more than once he's going to bring in competition. To me, I ask why bring in competition if it's a potential franchise guy? In all likelihood, if you asked my opinion today I see crazy ass Dan Synder selling his soul and draft to the Rams for luck/RGIII. But can you just accept that Holmgren knows what the hell he's doing and if he changes QB's which I think he will he's a lot more correct about it than anyone else.

    @jrb12711 said:

    It's funny how you always miss the points.

    lmao...

    We missed on Couch, there's no doubt about that.

    actually there is. beyond that, we took the highest rated QB (a franchise guy as you like to call them) and utterly ruined him. why? cause the other 21 guys sucked so bad he literally got knocked the hell outta the league. after witnessing this first hand, you haven't let the lesson sink in.

    and I can hear what Holmgren has said directly and indirectly.

    oh yeah? ya mean, what you wanted to hear. gotcha.

    To me, I ask why bring in competition if it's a potential franchise guy?

    so because you cant answer the question, it means mccoy is done? lol...simple question to answer really. because you qualified him as "potential" franchise guy....you dont bring in competition for a bona fide franchise guy. quinn was a "potential" franchise QB as well....

    But can you just accept that Holmgren knows what the hell he's doing

    lmao....ah yes, blind faith. thats sure worked well in the past. i dont accept anything until its proven to me. at this point, holmgren has only proven that he can mold a QB to become good in this league, when he's on the sideline as a coach. he has not, despite whatever you think you know, shown an ability to FIND a QB. his reputation is built on the backs of others in that regard. he has not, thus far, brought a meaningful QB to this team in 2 years. delhomme, wallace, lewis and colt over 2 years. your faith has been rewarded handsomely, i see.

  • @choco said:

    oh i see....i guess we didn't ruin couch, right? we had a franchise QB in him....im sorry, where's our lombardi again?

    so i guess you just keep wasting picks hoping that you hit on one of them. sounds like a good plan to me....griffin and luck are likely to be the last franchise QB's ever, so we better do whatever we have to to get him.

    It's funny how you always miss the points. We missed on Couch, there's no doubt about that. But we haven't had a franchise QB in Cleveland in a long time either. I'm not even saying you're wrong, because unlike most people I don't claim to have even close to the knowledge it takes to properly rate a QB in the NFL. But I can see the trends of the NFL and I can hear what Holmgren has said directly and indirectly. He's not sold on Colt as a franchise guy and has stated more than once he's going to bring in competition. To me, I ask why bring in competition if it's a potential franchise guy? In all likelihood, if you asked my opinion today I see crazy ass Dan Synder selling his soul and draft to the Rams for luck/RGIII. But can you just accept that Holmgren knows what the hell he's doing and if he changes QB's which I think he will he's a lot more correct about it than anyone else.

    @jrb12711 said:

    It's funny how you always miss the points. We missed on Couch, there's no doubt about that.

    we didn't miss on couch....we (they) killed him. same as we're killing colt. 'you' guys think that going after some 'franchise' qb is the answer. put luck, rglll or little red riding hood behind our line and watch them get creamed.

    watch peter's reaction at the end of the vid. that's the reaction any qb has had coming to cleveland since '99.

  • tim couch as #72

  • I call them as I see them... not all will agree with me...But when Colt is a backup QB and Flynn is in...you will see I wasnt too far off base...

    Dude you don't know me...

    @jibz said:

    I call them as I see them... not all will agree with me...But when Colt is a backup QB and Flynn is in...you will see I wasnt too far off base...

    Dude you don't know me...

    Did you play football ever? What position? Are you a gigging musician? I'm sorry, my snap judgments offend you.