Skip to content

Half Time Show.

The Browns Board
224 30 6.9k
  • @westside-steve said:

    Almost no 1 among the most famous rock and roll stars are known for their technical prowess.

    You'd be lucky to think of a small few hit songs with masterfully played parts.

    That's 1 of the things that makes it rock and roll in the first place.

    WSS

    Comfortably Numb, Tom Sawyer, Layla, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Barracuda? Would these songs be nearly as great without their respective solos? I don't think so. I think to be a good artist, you have to be either good at making catchy riffs or you can play the hell out of your instruments. If you want to be a great artist, in my opinion, you've gotta have both. I realize this doesn't always coincide with popularity. But what's Queen without Brian May? Billy Idol without Steve Stevens? Most people probably don't have any idea who those people are, though.

    @vaportrail said:


    Comfortably Numb, Tom Sawyer, Layla, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Barracuda? Would these songs be nearly as great without their respective solos? I don't think so. I think to be a good artist, you have to be either good at making catchy riffs or you can play the hell out of your instruments. If you want to be a great artist, in my opinion, you've gotta have both. I realize this doesn't always coincide with popularity. But what's Queen without Brian May? Billy Idol without Steve Stevens? Most people probably don't have any idea who those people are, though.


    the panties are dropping @6:12
  • Steve Stevens did the fucking Top Gun Anthem. I think he is among the most underrated guitarists.

  • Steve Stevens did the fucking Top Gun Anthem. I think he is among the most underrated guitarists.

    @vaportrail said:

    Steve Stevens did the fucking Top Gun Anthem. I think he is among the most underrated guitarists.

    I agree!

  • @hoorta said:

    Well the R&R HOF is a lot less BS than the Grammys- Milli Vanilli anyone?

    Problem is- you sell enough CDs\downloads you become mainstream. Hell, I've been looking for the next Hendrix for 40 years. Stevie Ray Vaughn came close. Guys like Maumstein, McGlauglin, Steve Vai, and Tom Morello get about zero airplay mainstream- so blame the damn commercial radio stations for that lapse.

    Really guys- I DON'T need to hear "Stairway to Heaven" for the 10,000th time. Can we hear the old guys new stuff for a change?

    -

    Rock and roll is dead, and the R&R HOF is a joke, Madonna and the Beastie Boys get inducted before Rush? The only guitarist worth his salt that gets airtime nowadays is John Mayer, and he sure as hell ain't popular for his technical skill.

    @vaportrail said:

    Rock and roll is dead, and the R&R HOF is a joke, Madonna and the Beastie Boys get inducted before Rush? The only guitarist worth his salt that gets airtime nowadays is John Mayer, and he sure as hell ain't popular for his technical skill.

    Yes, Because Rush sucks and doesn't belong. Madonna and the Beastie Boys do. As far as I am concerned, keeping Rush out only brings credibility to the RRHOF.

    No guitarist is popular for his technical skill per se. If they were, Glass Harp with Phil Keaggy would have been the world's most popular act. In the opinion of the likes of Clapton and Townshend they believed that Keaggy and Jimi Hendrix were the two best guitarists on the planet.

  • Yes, Because Rush sucks and doesn't belong. Madonna and the Beastie Boys do. As far as I am concerned, keeping Rush out only brings credibility to the RRHOF.

    lol, yeah, Madonna is more rock n roll than Rush. 🙄

  • @vaportrail said:

    Rock and roll is dead, and the R&R HOF is a joke, Madonna and the Beastie Boys get inducted before Rush? The only guitarist worth his salt that gets airtime nowadays is John Mayer, and he sure as hell ain't popular for his technical skill.

    Yes, Because Rush sucks and doesn't belong. Madonna and the Beastie Boys do. As far as I am concerned, keeping Rush out only brings credibility to the RRHOF.

    No guitarist is popular for his technical skill per se. If they were, Glass Harp with Phil Keaggy would have been the world's most popular act. In the opinion of the likes of Clapton and Townshend they believed that Keaggy and Jimi Hendrix were the two best guitarists on the planet.

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes, Because Rush sucks and doesn't belong. Madonna and the Beastie Boys do. As far as I am concerned, keeping Rush out only brings credibility to the RRHOF.

    No guitarist is popular for his technical skill per se. If they were, Glass Harp with Phil Keaggy would have been the world's most popular act. In the opinion of the likes of Clapton and Townshend they believed that Keaggy and Jimi Hendrix were the two best guitarists on the planet.

    Lol. Right gipper rush sucks. Jimi hendrix apparently thought Glenn schwartz was up there, among the best, but Glenn Schwartz is a crazy person who lives in a van down by the river.

  • @miktoxic said:

    and nobody can fuck with JOE:

    actually, and not to be a smartass, but there's a few folks that can. 🙂

    Tom Morello Blows Springsteen off the forking stage. Geezeze Louise where the hell have you been hiding all these years?

    Steve Vai ain't 1\2 bad, and neither is his bass player or Robert Cray. 🙂

    @hoorta said:

    actually, and not to be a smartass, but there's a few folks that can. 🙂

    Steve Vai ain't 1\2 bad

    i saw steve vai when he played lead for the david lee roth band when they did that yankee rose tour. needless to say he was the best thing going for that show...and they opened up for poison...aaarrrfff!

    also listen to some of his earlier stuff with zappa. brilliant! wasn't he satriani's guitar teacher or was it vice versa?

  • I believe satriani taught vai, but I could be incorrect

  • @vaportrail said:

    Rock and roll is dead, and the R&R HOF is a joke, Madonna and the Beastie Boys get inducted before Rush? The only guitarist worth his salt that gets airtime nowadays is John Mayer, and he sure as hell ain't popular for his technical skill.

    Yes, Because Rush sucks and doesn't belong. Madonna and the Beastie Boys do. As far as I am concerned, keeping Rush out only brings credibility to the RRHOF.

    No guitarist is popular for his technical skill per se. If they were, Glass Harp with Phil Keaggy would have been the world's most popular act. In the opinion of the likes of Clapton and Townshend they believed that Keaggy and Jimi Hendrix were the two best guitarists on the planet.

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes, Because Rush sucks and doesn't belong. Madonna and the Beastie Boys do. As far as I am concerned, keeping Rush out only brings credibility to the RRHOF.

    No guitarist is popular for his technical skill per se. If they were, Glass Harp with Phil Keaggy would have been the world's most popular act. In the opinion of the likes of Clapton and Townshend they believed that Keaggy and Jimi Hendrix were the two best guitarists on the planet.

    Like somebody said earlier, the R&R HoF is just a contest to see who's slept with the most Sony and BMG execs. It's a fucking joke. God. Arguing with you is like arguing with my great aunt. All I can hear is "Get off my lawn, whippersnapper."

    I believe satriani taught vai, but I could be incorrect

    Yeah, Satch taught Vai.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes, Because Rush sucks and doesn't belong. Madonna and the Beastie Boys do. As far as I am concerned, keeping Rush out only brings credibility to the RRHOF.

    No guitarist is popular for his technical skill per se. If they were, Glass Harp with Phil Keaggy would have been the world's most popular act. In the opinion of the likes of Clapton and Townshend they believed that Keaggy and Jimi Hendrix were the two best guitarists on the planet.

    Like somebody said earlier, the R&R HoF is just a contest to see who's slept with the most Sony and BMG execs. It's a fucking joke. God. Arguing with you is like arguing with my great aunt. All I can hear is "Get off my lawn, whippersnapper."

    I believe satriani taught vai, but I could be incorrect

    Yeah, Satch taught Vai.

    @vaportrail said:

    Like somebody said earlier, the R&R HoF is just a contest to see who's slept with the most Sony and BMG execs. It's a fucking joke. God. Arguing with you is like arguing with my great aunt. All I can hear is "Get off my lawn, whippersnapper."

    Yeah, Satch taught Vai.

    I won't argue for a second about Rush's technical prowess- (I think Neal Peart is one of the top 10, maybe top 5 drummers in rock) but IMHO what's kept them out is not enough big bullet songs like Limelight and Tom Sawyer.

    Regarding Vai- he's the first guy I've seen that could cover a Hendrix (the hero of all us left handed guitar hacks) song in Hendrix style- when he chose to. Of course for better or worse he decided out Hendrixing Hendrix wasn't his bag.

    BTW, that 25th Anniversary R&R HOF concert is mighty good- but it took Billy Gibbons AND Jeff Beck to do a decent cover of "Foxey Lady". 🙂

  • @vaportrail said:

    Rock and roll is dead, and the R&R HOF is a joke, Madonna and the Beastie Boys get inducted before Rush? The only guitarist worth his salt that gets airtime nowadays is John Mayer, and he sure as hell ain't popular for his technical skill.

    Yes, Because Rush sucks and doesn't belong. Madonna and the Beastie Boys do. As far as I am concerned, keeping Rush out only brings credibility to the RRHOF.

    No guitarist is popular for his technical skill per se. If they were, Glass Harp with Phil Keaggy would have been the world's most popular act. In the opinion of the likes of Clapton and Townshend they believed that Keaggy and Jimi Hendrix were the two best guitarists on the planet.

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes, Because Rush sucks and doesn't belong. Madonna and the Beastie Boys do. As far as I am concerned, keeping Rush out only brings credibility to the RRHOF.

    No guitarist is popular for his technical skill per se. If they were, Glass Harp with Phil Keaggy would have been the world's most popular act. In the opinion of the likes of Clapton and Townshend they believed that Keaggy and Jimi Hendrix were the two best guitarists on the planet.

    LOL. Rush sucks and doesn't belong in the RRHOF and Green Day isn't bigger then Neil Young ...

    Rush belongs to be in the RRHOF just as much as Neil Young. That is an argument for an entirely different thread though.

    **FYI** I am not a rush fan at all and can barely stand to listen to them. My personal taste aside though I can reconize what they have done and what they are.

    All in one thread on a Browns forum! Who would have thought it.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes, Because Rush sucks and doesn't belong. Madonna and the Beastie Boys do. As far as I am concerned, keeping Rush out only brings credibility to the RRHOF.

    No guitarist is popular for his technical skill per se. If they were, Glass Harp with Phil Keaggy would have been the world's most popular act. In the opinion of the likes of Clapton and Townshend they believed that Keaggy and Jimi Hendrix were the two best guitarists on the planet.

    LOL. Rush sucks and doesn't belong in the RRHOF and Green Day isn't bigger then Neil Young ...

    Rush belongs to be in the RRHOF just as much as Neil Young. That is an argument for an entirely different thread though.

    **FYI** I am not a rush fan at all and can barely stand to listen to them. My personal taste aside though I can reconize what they have done and what they are.

    All in one thread on a Browns forum! Who would have thought it.

    @jnuh said:

    LOL. Rush sucks and doesn't belong in the RRHOF and Green Day isn't bigger then Neil Young ...

    Rush belongs to be in the RRHOF just as much as Neil Young. That is an argument for an entirely different thread though.

    **FYI** I am not a rush fan at all and can barely stand to listen to them. My personal taste aside though I can reconize what they have done and what they are.

    All in one thread on a Browns forum! Who would have thought it.

    🙂 This thread is reminiscent of what routinely went on here (actually on the AOL board that predates this forum) during "The Dark Years" after Schmodell moved the team, and there was no Browns football to discuss for three years. Plenty of other things to argue about though.

  • Yes, Because Rush sucks and doesn't belong. Madonna and the Beastie Boys do. As far as I am concerned, keeping Rush out only brings credibility to the RRHOF.

    lol, yeah, Madonna is more rock n roll than Rush. 🙄

    @vaportrail said:

    Yes, Because Rush sucks and doesn't belong. Madonna and the Beastie Boys do. As far as I am concerned, keeping Rush out only brings credibility to the RRHOF.

    lol, yeah, Madonna is more rock n roll than Rush. 🙄

    I have been listening to Rush since the day Kid Leo introduced them to the world in like 1972. I didn't like them then, I don't like them now.

    Just because someone is more "Rock n Roll" doesn't mean they are such a force in the music business as to be HOF caliber.

    I can name 100 bands that are just as much or more Rock n' Roll than Rush or Madonna that I think should be in the RRHOF over Rush.

    Do you really want me to start listing them?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes, Because Rush sucks and doesn't belong. Madonna and the Beastie Boys do. As far as I am concerned, keeping Rush out only brings credibility to the RRHOF.

    No guitarist is popular for his technical skill per se. If they were, Glass Harp with Phil Keaggy would have been the world's most popular act. In the opinion of the likes of Clapton and Townshend they believed that Keaggy and Jimi Hendrix were the two best guitarists on the planet.

    LOL. Rush sucks and doesn't belong in the RRHOF and Green Day isn't bigger then Neil Young ...

    Rush belongs to be in the RRHOF just as much as Neil Young. That is an argument for an entirely different thread though.

    **FYI** I am not a rush fan at all and can barely stand to listen to them. My personal taste aside though I can reconize what they have done and what they are.

    All in one thread on a Browns forum! Who would have thought it.

    @jnuh said:

    LOL. Rush sucks and doesn't belong in the RRHOF and Green Day isn't bigger then Neil Young ...

    Rush belongs to be in the RRHOF just as much as Neil Young. That is an argument for an entirely different thread though.

    **FYI** I am not a rush fan at all and can barely stand to listen to them. My personal taste aside though I can reconize what they have done and what they are.

    All in one thread on a Browns forum! Who would have thought it.

    I am not saying there is not an argument for either Rush or Green Day to be in the RRHOF....but as I said, there is an equal or better argument for 100 other bands.

    I don't like Rush and that is just my personal taste, but I know they have a following....but it also doesn't surprise me that they are not in.

    If we were to compare the 3 acts in the panoply of rock history the answer is:

    1. Neil Young

    2. Green Day

    3. Rush

  • @jnuh said:

    LOL. Rush sucks and doesn't belong in the RRHOF and Green Day isn't bigger then Neil Young ...

    Rush belongs to be in the RRHOF just as much as Neil Young. That is an argument for an entirely different thread though.

    **FYI** I am not a rush fan at all and can barely stand to listen to them. My personal taste aside though I can reconize what they have done and what they are.

    All in one thread on a Browns forum! Who would have thought it.

    I am not saying there is not an argument for either Rush or Green Day to be in the RRHOF....but as I said, there is an equal or better argument for 100 other bands.

    I don't like Rush and that is just my personal taste, but I know they have a following....but it also doesn't surprise me that they are not in.

    If we were to compare the 3 acts in the panoply of rock history the answer is:

    1. Neil Young

    2. Green Day

    3. Rush

    @the-gipper said:

    I am not saying there is not an argument for either Rush or Green Day to be in the RRHOF....but as I said, there is an equal or better argument for 100 other bands.

    I don't like Rush and that is just my personal taste, but I know they have a following....but it also doesn't surprise me that they are not in.

    If we were to compare the 3 acts in the panoply of rock history the answer is:

    1. Neil Young

    2. Green Day

    3. Rush

    I'm not going to disagree with that, however, Rush has more consecutive gold and platinum albums than everyone except The Rolling Stones and the Beatles. 24 gold, 14 platinum, >40 million records sold. How many artists have gotten in for less? Rush's influence on music is huge, regardless of the airtime (or lack thereof) they get.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes, Because Rush sucks and doesn't belong. Madonna and the Beastie Boys do. As far as I am concerned, keeping Rush out only brings credibility to the RRHOF.

    No guitarist is popular for his technical skill per se. If they were, Glass Harp with Phil Keaggy would have been the world's most popular act. In the opinion of the likes of Clapton and Townshend they believed that Keaggy and Jimi Hendrix were the two best guitarists on the planet.

    Like somebody said earlier, the R&R HoF is just a contest to see who's slept with the most Sony and BMG execs. It's a fucking joke. God. Arguing with you is like arguing with my great aunt. All I can hear is "Get off my lawn, whippersnapper."

    I believe satriani taught vai, but I could be incorrect

    Yeah, Satch taught Vai.

    @vaportrail said:

    Like somebody said earlier, the R&R HoF is just a contest to see who's slept with the most Sony and BMG execs. It's a fucking joke. God. Arguing with you is like arguing with my great aunt. All I can hear is "Get off my lawn, whippersnapper."

    Yeah, Satch taught Vai.

    Arguing with me is like arguing with someone that sees the big picture where you are looking through a pinhole. The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is not what YOU think it should be. It covers an entire gamut of musical tastes, some of which fit my tastes, much of which does not. I said I wasn't going to do it, but here is a lengthy list of acts that have as much of a resume to be inducted into the HOF as Rush. Rush can be included in this list, but they are by no means above this list. And FYI, this starts all the way back and comes forward in time:

    Pat Boone, Ella Fitzgerald, Herbie Hancock, John Coltrane, The Tokens, The Cadillacs, Danny and the Juniors, Patsy Cline, Petula Clark, Screamin Jay Hawkins, The Big Bopper, Joe South, The Kingston Trio, Paul Anka, Carol King, Jerry Butler, The Miracles, Neil Sedaka, Bobby Rydell, Chubby Checker, Jan and Dean, Joan Baez, Link Wray, Ben E. King, Judy Collins, Mary Wells, Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Spinners, Willie Nelson, Glen Campbell, Gordon Lightfoot, Little Eva, Lou Christie, Patti LaBelle, Peter Paul and Mary, Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs, The Crystals, Dionne Warwick, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Leslie Gore, Butterfield Blues Band, The Searchers, The Seekers, Johnny Rivers, Marianne Faithful, The Moody Blues, Peter and Gordon, Alex Harvey, The Zombies, Boz Scaggs, Sonny & Cher, Dobie Gray, The Easybeats, Edwin Starr, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Golden Earring, The Guess Who, Herman's Hermits, The Turtles, The Vogues, Richie Havens, Randy Newman, The Shangri-Las, The Association, Cat Stevens, The Chambers Brothers, The Grass Roots, Harry Chapin, Janis Ian, The Left Bank, The Monkees, Tim Buckley, The Troggs, Tommy James and the Shondells, The 5th Dimension, Arlo Guthrie, The Box Tops, Country Joe and the Fish, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Harry Nillson, Moby Grape, Procul Harum, Ten Years After, Vanilla Fudge, Blood Sweat and Tears, Deep Purple, Free, Iron Butterfly, Jethro Tull, Robert Fripp, Steve Miller Band, T.Rex, Blind Faith, The Carpenters, The Chi-Lites, Chicago, Grand Funk Railroad, Humble Pie, The James Gang, Joe Cocker, Johnny Winter, King Crimson, Linda Ronstadt, Mott the Hoople, Poco, Seals and Crofts, Slade, Three Dog Night, Warren Zevon, Yes, Argent, Badfinger, Brownsville Station, Charlie Daniels, Derek and the Dominos, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Hot Tuna, The J. Geils Band, Ringo Starr, Supertramp, Todd Rundgren, Uriah Heep, America, Carly Simon, The Doobie Bros., Electric Light Orchestra, Gerry Rafferty and Stealer's Wheel, Little Feat, Meatloaf, Nazareth, Thin Lizzy, War, Yoko Ono, Blue Oyster Cult, Dan Fogelberg, Hall and Oates, Joe Walsh, Lou Reed, Loggins and Messina, Peter Frampton, Pure Prairie League, The Raspberries, Roxy Music, Styx, Bachman-Turner-Overdrive, The New York Dolls, Robin Trower, Bad Company, Eno, Donna Summer, Judas Priest, Kansas, KISS, KC and the Sunshine Band, Robert Palmer, Chaka Khan, Journey, Foreigner, Ted Nugent, Alabama, The Outlaws, Boston, Heart, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Cheap Trick, Peter Garbriel, Teddy Prendergast, The Cars, The Cure, DEVO, Dire Straits, Joe Jackson, The Neville Bros., Rick James, Whitesnake, The B-52s, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Pat Benatar, Simple Minds, The Sugar Hill Gang, Twisted Sister, Afrika Bambataa, The Go Gos, Huey Lewis and the News, INXS, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Billy Idol Bow Wow Wow, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, The Eurythmics, Husker Du, Lionel Richie, The Stray Cats, Tears for Fears, Wang Chung, Big Country, Culture Club, George Clinton, Janet Jackson, Marshal Crenshaw, Sting, Wham, Bon Jovi, Cyndi Lauper, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Sade, Whitney Houston, Allison Kraus, Enya, Indigo Girls, Soundgarden, Gloria Estafan, Jane's Addiction, MC Hammer, Public Enemy, and a couple of acts that will be eligible for the first time in 2013: Nirvana, Phish

  • @vaportrail said:

    Like somebody said earlier, the R&R HoF is just a contest to see who's slept with the most Sony and BMG execs. It's a fucking joke. God. Arguing with you is like arguing with my great aunt. All I can hear is "Get off my lawn, whippersnapper."

    Yeah, Satch taught Vai.

    Arguing with me is like arguing with someone that sees the big picture where you are looking through a pinhole. The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is not what YOU think it should be. It covers an entire gamut of musical tastes, some of which fit my tastes, much of which does not. I said I wasn't going to do it, but here is a lengthy list of acts that have as much of a resume to be inducted into the HOF as Rush. Rush can be included in this list, but they are by no means above this list. And FYI, this starts all the way back and comes forward in time:

    Pat Boone, Ella Fitzgerald, Herbie Hancock, John Coltrane, The Tokens, The Cadillacs, Danny and the Juniors, Patsy Cline, Petula Clark, Screamin Jay Hawkins, The Big Bopper, Joe South, The Kingston Trio, Paul Anka, Carol King, Jerry Butler, The Miracles, Neil Sedaka, Bobby Rydell, Chubby Checker, Jan and Dean, Joan Baez, Link Wray, Ben E. King, Judy Collins, Mary Wells, Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Spinners, Willie Nelson, Glen Campbell, Gordon Lightfoot, Little Eva, Lou Christie, Patti LaBelle, Peter Paul and Mary, Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs, The Crystals, Dionne Warwick, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Leslie Gore, Butterfield Blues Band, The Searchers, The Seekers, Johnny Rivers, Marianne Faithful, The Moody Blues, Peter and Gordon, Alex Harvey, The Zombies, Boz Scaggs, Sonny & Cher, Dobie Gray, The Easybeats, Edwin Starr, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Golden Earring, The Guess Who, Herman's Hermits, The Turtles, The Vogues, Richie Havens, Randy Newman, The Shangri-Las, The Association, Cat Stevens, The Chambers Brothers, The Grass Roots, Harry Chapin, Janis Ian, The Left Bank, The Monkees, Tim Buckley, The Troggs, Tommy James and the Shondells, The 5th Dimension, Arlo Guthrie, The Box Tops, Country Joe and the Fish, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Harry Nillson, Moby Grape, Procul Harum, Ten Years After, Vanilla Fudge, Blood Sweat and Tears, Deep Purple, Free, Iron Butterfly, Jethro Tull, Robert Fripp, Steve Miller Band, T.Rex, Blind Faith, The Carpenters, The Chi-Lites, Chicago, Grand Funk Railroad, Humble Pie, The James Gang, Joe Cocker, Johnny Winter, King Crimson, Linda Ronstadt, Mott the Hoople, Poco, Seals and Crofts, Slade, Three Dog Night, Warren Zevon, Yes, Argent, Badfinger, Brownsville Station, Charlie Daniels, Derek and the Dominos, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Hot Tuna, The J. Geils Band, Ringo Starr, Supertramp, Todd Rundgren, Uriah Heep, America, Carly Simon, The Doobie Bros., Electric Light Orchestra, Gerry Rafferty and Stealer's Wheel, Little Feat, Meatloaf, Nazareth, Thin Lizzy, War, Yoko Ono, Blue Oyster Cult, Dan Fogelberg, Hall and Oates, Joe Walsh, Lou Reed, Loggins and Messina, Peter Frampton, Pure Prairie League, The Raspberries, Roxy Music, Styx, Bachman-Turner-Overdrive, The New York Dolls, Robin Trower, Bad Company, Eno, Donna Summer, Judas Priest, Kansas, KISS, KC and the Sunshine Band, Robert Palmer, Chaka Khan, Journey, Foreigner, Ted Nugent, Alabama, The Outlaws, Boston, Heart, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Cheap Trick, Peter Garbriel, Teddy Prendergast, The Cars, The Cure, DEVO, Dire Straits, Joe Jackson, The Neville Bros., Rick James, Whitesnake, The B-52s, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Pat Benatar, Simple Minds, The Sugar Hill Gang, Twisted Sister, Afrika Bambataa, The Go Gos, Huey Lewis and the News, INXS, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Billy Idol Bow Wow Wow, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, The Eurythmics, Husker Du, Lionel Richie, The Stray Cats, Tears for Fears, Wang Chung, Big Country, Culture Club, George Clinton, Janet Jackson, Marshal Crenshaw, Sting, Wham, Bon Jovi, Cyndi Lauper, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Sade, Whitney Houston, Allison Kraus, Enya, Indigo Girls, Soundgarden, Gloria Estafan, Jane's Addiction, MC Hammer, Public Enemy, and a couple of acts that will be eligible for the first time in 2013: Nirvana, Phish

    @the-gipper said:

    Arguing with me is like arguing with someone that sees the big picture where you are looking through a pinhole. The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is not what YOU think it should be. It covers an entire gamut of musical tastes, some of which fit my tastes, much of which does not. I said I wasn't going to do it, but here is a lengthy list of acts that have as much of a resume to be inducted into the HOF as Rush. Rush can be included in this list, but they are by no means above this list. And FYI, this starts all the way back and comes forward in time:

    Pat Boone, Ella Fitzgerald, Herbie Hancock, John Coltrane, The Tokens, The Cadillacs, Danny and the Juniors, Patsy Cline, Petula Clark, Screamin Jay Hawkins, The Big Bopper, Joe South, The Kingston Trio, Paul Anka, Carol King, Jerry Butler, The Miracles, Neil Sedaka, Bobby Rydell, Chubby Checker, Jan and Dean, Joan Baez, Link Wray, Ben E. King, Judy Collins, Mary Wells, Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Spinners, Willie Nelson, Glen Campbell, Gordon Lightfoot, Little Eva, Lou Christie, Patti LaBelle, Peter Paul and Mary, Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs, The Crystals, Dionne Warwick, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Leslie Gore, Butterfield Blues Band, The Searchers, The Seekers, Johnny Rivers, Marianne Faithful, The Moody Blues, Peter and Gordon, Alex Harvey, The Zombies, Boz Scaggs, Sonny & Cher, Dobie Gray, The Easybeats, Edwin Starr, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Golden Earring, The Guess Who, Herman's Hermits, The Turtles, The Vogues, Richie Havens, Randy Newman, The Shangri-Las, The Association, Cat Stevens, The Chambers Brothers, The Grass Roots, Harry Chapin, Janis Ian, The Left Bank, The Monkees, Tim Buckley, The Troggs, Tommy James and the Shondells, The 5th Dimension, Arlo Guthrie, The Box Tops, Country Joe and the Fish, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Harry Nillson, Moby Grape, Procul Harum, Ten Years After, Vanilla Fudge, Blood Sweat and Tears, Deep Purple, Free, Iron Butterfly, Jethro Tull, Robert Fripp, Steve Miller Band, T.Rex, Blind Faith, The Carpenters, The Chi-Lites, Chicago, Grand Funk Railroad, Humble Pie, The James Gang, Joe Cocker, Johnny Winter, King Crimson, Linda Ronstadt, Mott the Hoople, Poco, Seals and Crofts, Slade, Three Dog Night, Warren Zevon, Yes, Argent, Badfinger, Brownsville Station, Charlie Daniels, Derek and the Dominos, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Hot Tuna, The J. Geils Band, Ringo Starr, Supertramp, Todd Rundgren, Uriah Heep, America, Carly Simon, The Doobie Bros., Electric Light Orchestra, Gerry Rafferty and Stealer's Wheel, Little Feat, Meatloaf, Nazareth, Thin Lizzy, War, Yoko Ono, Blue Oyster Cult, Dan Fogelberg, Hall and Oates, Joe Walsh, Lou Reed, Loggins and Messina, Peter Frampton, Pure Prairie League, The Raspberries, Roxy Music, Styx, Bachman-Turner-Overdrive, The New York Dolls, Robin Trower, Bad Company, Eno, Donna Summer, Judas Priest, Kansas, KISS, KC and the Sunshine Band, Robert Palmer, Chaka Khan, Journey, Foreigner, Ted Nugent, Alabama, The Outlaws, Boston, Heart, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Cheap Trick, Peter Garbriel, Teddy Prendergast, The Cars, The Cure, DEVO, Dire Straits, Joe Jackson, The Neville Bros., Rick James, Whitesnake, The B-52s, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Pat Benatar, Simple Minds, The Sugar Hill Gang, Twisted Sister, Afrika Bambataa, The Go Gos, Huey Lewis and the News, INXS, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Billy Idol Bow Wow Wow, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, The Eurythmics, Husker Du, Lionel Richie, The Stray Cats, Tears for Fears, Wang Chung, Big Country, Culture Club, George Clinton, Janet Jackson, Marshal Crenshaw, Sting, Wham, Bon Jovi, Cyndi Lauper, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Sade, Whitney Houston, Allison Kraus, Enya, Indigo Girls, Soundgarden, Gloria Estafan, Jane's Addiction, MC Hammer, Public Enemy, and a couple of acts that will be eligible for the first time in 2013: Nirvana, Phish

    That list is far too long to begin to pick apart as I have much better things to do with my time today ... but most of that list had no where near the career as Rush. Husker DU? really? They are a great band and I am a big Bob Mould Fan, but they will never and should never be considered for nomination.

    Devo? Are you kidding me? MC Hammer? LMAO ... Hammer can't touch the hall of fame (and he is bankrupt so he can't even buy his way in) Wang CHung, J Gelis Band, Sugar Hill Gang, Stray Cats??? come on man. How can any of these compare to Rush???

    Also I am HUGE Nirvana fan ... If I were voting I would put them in because they did change music for an entire decade and that is pretty substantial, but at the same time I would not be suprised if they never make it because they do not have a very large body of work. Essentially they only have 3 albums, 1 album of B-Sides and outtakes, and a couple live records. Is that enough for HOF consideration?

  • I agree, quite strongly, with a few of those. However, as jnuh pointed out, the large majority of that list has nothing on Rush. Your list is bunk, and you're making it look longer than it really is by including guys like Joe Walsh and Sting. Those guys are already there, just not as solo acts. What Rush has accomplished, if you look at the numbers, puts them among the likes of the Beatles, Stones, and Aerosmith. The only difference between Rush and these guys is that Rush doesn't play for airtime, yet how many artists who will be in the hall someday or are in the hall now would cite Rush as an influence?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Arguing with me is like arguing with someone that sees the big picture where you are looking through a pinhole. The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is not what YOU think it should be. It covers an entire gamut of musical tastes, some of which fit my tastes, much of which does not. I said I wasn't going to do it, but here is a lengthy list of acts that have as much of a resume to be inducted into the HOF as Rush. Rush can be included in this list, but they are by no means above this list. And FYI, this starts all the way back and comes forward in time:

    Pat Boone, Ella Fitzgerald, Herbie Hancock, John Coltrane, The Tokens, The Cadillacs, Danny and the Juniors, Patsy Cline, Petula Clark, Screamin Jay Hawkins, The Big Bopper, Joe South, The Kingston Trio, Paul Anka, Carol King, Jerry Butler, The Miracles, Neil Sedaka, Bobby Rydell, Chubby Checker, Jan and Dean, Joan Baez, Link Wray, Ben E. King, Judy Collins, Mary Wells, Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Spinners, Willie Nelson, Glen Campbell, Gordon Lightfoot, Little Eva, Lou Christie, Patti LaBelle, Peter Paul and Mary, Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs, The Crystals, Dionne Warwick, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Leslie Gore, Butterfield Blues Band, The Searchers, The Seekers, Johnny Rivers, Marianne Faithful, The Moody Blues, Peter and Gordon, Alex Harvey, The Zombies, Boz Scaggs, Sonny & Cher, Dobie Gray, The Easybeats, Edwin Starr, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Golden Earring, The Guess Who, Herman's Hermits, The Turtles, The Vogues, Richie Havens, Randy Newman, The Shangri-Las, The Association, Cat Stevens, The Chambers Brothers, The Grass Roots, Harry Chapin, Janis Ian, The Left Bank, The Monkees, Tim Buckley, The Troggs, Tommy James and the Shondells, The 5th Dimension, Arlo Guthrie, The Box Tops, Country Joe and the Fish, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Harry Nillson, Moby Grape, Procul Harum, Ten Years After, Vanilla Fudge, Blood Sweat and Tears, Deep Purple, Free, Iron Butterfly, Jethro Tull, Robert Fripp, Steve Miller Band, T.Rex, Blind Faith, The Carpenters, The Chi-Lites, Chicago, Grand Funk Railroad, Humble Pie, The James Gang, Joe Cocker, Johnny Winter, King Crimson, Linda Ronstadt, Mott the Hoople, Poco, Seals and Crofts, Slade, Three Dog Night, Warren Zevon, Yes, Argent, Badfinger, Brownsville Station, Charlie Daniels, Derek and the Dominos, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Hot Tuna, The J. Geils Band, Ringo Starr, Supertramp, Todd Rundgren, Uriah Heep, America, Carly Simon, The Doobie Bros., Electric Light Orchestra, Gerry Rafferty and Stealer's Wheel, Little Feat, Meatloaf, Nazareth, Thin Lizzy, War, Yoko Ono, Blue Oyster Cult, Dan Fogelberg, Hall and Oates, Joe Walsh, Lou Reed, Loggins and Messina, Peter Frampton, Pure Prairie League, The Raspberries, Roxy Music, Styx, Bachman-Turner-Overdrive, The New York Dolls, Robin Trower, Bad Company, Eno, Donna Summer, Judas Priest, Kansas, KISS, KC and the Sunshine Band, Robert Palmer, Chaka Khan, Journey, Foreigner, Ted Nugent, Alabama, The Outlaws, Boston, Heart, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Cheap Trick, Peter Garbriel, Teddy Prendergast, The Cars, The Cure, DEVO, Dire Straits, Joe Jackson, The Neville Bros., Rick James, Whitesnake, The B-52s, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Pat Benatar, Simple Minds, The Sugar Hill Gang, Twisted Sister, Afrika Bambataa, The Go Gos, Huey Lewis and the News, INXS, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Billy Idol Bow Wow Wow, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, The Eurythmics, Husker Du, Lionel Richie, The Stray Cats, Tears for Fears, Wang Chung, Big Country, Culture Club, George Clinton, Janet Jackson, Marshal Crenshaw, Sting, Wham, Bon Jovi, Cyndi Lauper, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Sade, Whitney Houston, Allison Kraus, Enya, Indigo Girls, Soundgarden, Gloria Estafan, Jane's Addiction, MC Hammer, Public Enemy, and a couple of acts that will be eligible for the first time in 2013: Nirvana, Phish

    That list is far too long to begin to pick apart as I have much better things to do with my time today ... but most of that list had no where near the career as Rush. Husker DU? really? They are a great band and I am a big Bob Mould Fan, but they will never and should never be considered for nomination.

    Devo? Are you kidding me? MC Hammer? LMAO ... Hammer can't touch the hall of fame (and he is bankrupt so he can't even buy his way in) Wang CHung, J Gelis Band, Sugar Hill Gang, Stray Cats??? come on man. How can any of these compare to Rush???

    Also I am HUGE Nirvana fan ... If I were voting I would put them in because they did change music for an entire decade and that is pretty substantial, but at the same time I would not be suprised if they never make it because they do not have a very large body of work. Essentially they only have 3 albums, 1 album of B-Sides and outtakes, and a couple live records. Is that enough for HOF consideration?

    @jnuh said:

    That list is far too long to begin to pick apart as I have much better things to do with my time today ... but most of that list had no where near the career as Rush. Husker DU? really? They are a great band and I am a big Bob Mould Fan, but they will never and should never be considered for nomination.

    Devo? Are you kidding me? MC Hammer? LMAO ... Hammer can't touch the hall of fame (and he is bankrupt so he can't even buy his way in) Wang CHung, J Gelis Band, Sugar Hill Gang, Stray Cats??? come on man. How can any of these compare to Rush???

    Simple: they are most of them all as well known as Rush, if not more well known. They have more hit records than Rush. There music overall has been more popular than Rush's. Rush has it cadre of devoted fans, sure.

    But, again, big picture...Rush is no bigger, better than most of these...except in the minds of those particular devotees.

    Just look at who is IN the HOF already...and don't tell me that none of these acts aren't capable of getting in.

    Also I am HUGE Nirvana fan ... If I were voting I would put them in because they did change music for an entire decade and that is pretty substantial, but at the same time I would not be suprised if they never make it because they do not have a very large body of work. Essentially they only have 3 albums, 1 album of B-Sides and outtakes, and a couple live records. Is that enough for HOF consideration?

    Probably yes. I am not a big fan of Nirvana, but Nirvana was one of those quintessential bands that seems like it belongs in because of the influence they had on music.

    Honestly, I expect them to be first ballot inductees. (but, if as you say, they never make it, it would not break my heart. But I would make 50/50 odds they get in first time at bat.)

  • I agree, quite strongly, with a few of those. However, as jnuh pointed out, the large majority of that list has nothing on Rush. Your list is bunk, and you're making it look longer than it really is by including guys like Joe Walsh and Sting. Those guys are already there, just not as solo acts. What Rush has accomplished, if you look at the numbers, puts them among the likes of the Beatles, Stones, and Aerosmith. The only difference between Rush and these guys is that Rush doesn't play for airtime, yet how many artists who will be in the hall someday or are in the hall now would cite Rush as an influence?

    @vaportrail said:

    I agree, quite strongly, with a few of those. However, as jnuh pointed out, the large majority of that list has nothing on Rush. Your list is bunk, and you're making it look longer than it really is by including guys like Joe Walsh and Sting. Those guys are already there, just not as solo acts. What Rush has accomplished, if you look at the numbers, puts them among the likes of the Beatles, Stones, and Aerosmith. The only difference between Rush and these guys is that Rush doesn't play for airtime, yet how many artists who will be in the hall someday or are in the hall now would cite Rush as an influence?

    A lot of guys get in on their solo careers as well as their careers in bands...includin Neil Young. Hell Eric Clapton is in 3 times already...and could go in again if Blind Faith or Derek and the Dominoes were to be selected. Neil Young is in 3 times: Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, and solo.

    So, Walsh and Sting in their solo careers are still viable candidates.

    And, actually, the large majority of those named acts have a ton over Rush. Many were early influences. Nearly all had more hits.

    No one in their right mind would ever use Rush in the same sentence with The Beatles and The Stones. I don't care how many records they sold.

    With some of these, it seems to be a genre issue. The RRHOF isn't prone to putting too many "Folk Acts" in....and it seems to spurn prog rock acts.

    I gave you this list to show what Rush is up against. And its competition is fierce and getting fiercer with newer acts coming up. (new meaning acts that have been around for less than 25 years. All the acts mentioned are already eligible, there will be many more where those came from)