Skip to content

Nostradamus Effect

The Browns Board
32 12 1.2k
  • Anyway I think that we'll keep Hillis and if the Colts take RG3 I think that we go all in for Luck. That is the point of this thread, what would we have to do to go up and draft Luck. I don't think that the Rams would/could take Luck, they have Bradford. If they were to trade the pick that could land them either A)Protection for their 70 Million dollar QB or B)A legit WR in Blackmon I'd say that they'd be foolish, unless it's to Cleveland which will ensure that they land one or the other, PLUS if they were to swap picks with Cleveland it would cost them nothing and allow them to pick up another nice pick in the draft...Now the question becomes what pick would suffice. Sure the could trade to some other team but if they covet one of the players in the top 5 they'd have to make due with what we'd give them for it to make sense to trade out of the number two pick and risk losing a much needed playmaker... right?

  • If the Colts foolishly select RG3 with the #1 pick, Andrew Luck will not be available at the #4 pick. The only way the Browns can get the best QB prospect (since probably Peyton Manning), is to move up. Teams will be salivating and make stupid trades with either St. Louis or Minnesota. Minnesota may have their "future" QB in Ponder, but they aren't completely sold on him. RG3 vs. Ponder = stick with Ponder, Luck vs. Ponder = Go with Luck. Since the Labor Agreement changed having two 1st round QBs on the team is not a cap killer. Minnesota can probably trade Ponder for a 2nd round draft choice this year if they really wanted to.

    Bradford came in before the labor agreement, he's a bit more of a weight on the Rams cap. Fisher has to stick with him for a season or two at the least. Tampa Bay would probably offer it's 1/2 picks this year and a first next year to move up 3 spots and nab Luck. The Rams could probably get a 3 or 4 round pick in 2013 to boot.

  • N Neo

    I say we draft a punter, field goal kicker, long snapper, or fullback with our #4 pick. Dawson won't be around forever, Maynard is getting up there too, and I am not convinced that Marecic is the answer either.

    @neo said:

    I say we draft a punter, field goal kicker, long snapper, or fullback with our #4 pick. Dawson won't be around forever, Maynard is getting up there too, and I am not convinced that Marecic is the answer either.

    maynards contract is up, and we still have hodges for about $650K.

  • Browns will stay at pick #4 and let the Dan Snyders of the world be foolish with their future.

    One of RG3, Luck, Kalil, or Blackmon will be there - and that's who we'll take.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Browns will stay at pick #4 and let the Dan Snyders of the world be foolish with their future.

    One of RG3, Luck, Kalil, or Blackmon will be there - and that's who we'll take.

    I agree that if Luck, RG3 or Blackmon are there the Browns would, probably should take one of them.

    What I don't know is why the Rams or Vikings would take RGIII over the QBs they have. There is where a trade would come in.

    Here is something the Colts could consider: we offer them #4 and #22 for the rights to Luck. They then pick RGIII at #4, plus have that #2 pick.

    Would that be good for them?

    Would the Browns be better off sticking with RGIII at #4 plus our #22 rather than going for Luck?

  • @neo said:

    I say we draft a punter, field goal kicker, long snapper, or fullback with our #4 pick. Dawson won't be around forever, Maynard is getting up there too, and I am not convinced that Marecic is the answer either.

    I know you're kidding but if we draft Richardson at #4 that would essentially be upgrading our FB position(which btw does need improving) by using Richardson at HB and Hillis at FB we could have a one two punch to rival the Hillis Vickers combo!

    @poeticg said:

    I know you're kidding but if we draft Richardson at #4 that would essentially be upgrading our FB position(which btw does need improving) by using Richardson at HB and Hillis at FB we could have a one two punch to rival the Hillis Vickers combo!

    Well, since some people still consider taking Matt Kalil at four if Luck, RG3, and Blackmon are all gone when we pick, I figured I would just throw those in. Let's face it, if people are willing to just blow a draft pick for the hell of it, might as well get someone we could use. I wouldn't draft Kalil at four if he was the best RIGHT TACKLE in the draft. Let alone draft him and switch him to right tackle. I wouldn't even draft him at 22. Not with Coples,Wright, Floyd, or any other major positions of need still on the board. Seriously, if they draft Kalil in the first, I will throw my computer out of the second story window of my house. (edit) So to the people that keep mentioning his name.....please,please,please,PLEASE STOP. With the turnstile we had at right tackle for the past couple of seasons, I am sure we can pick up a guy in the 3rd or 4th round or maybe the 5th that would be an instant upgrade. PLEASE STOP with the Kalil nonsense, I can't bear to read it anymore 😵

  • Yea, there is absolutely no way we take Kalil. We will certainly draft an O-lineman in the draft somewhere, maybe even two of 'em. But we will not be drafting one in the first round, let alone fourth. No way that will happen. We have other pressing, skill position needs.

  • If the Colts foolishly select RG3 with the #1 pick, Andrew Luck will not be available at the #4 pick. The only way the Browns can get the best QB prospect (since probably Peyton Manning), is to move up. Teams will be salivating and make stupid trades with either St. Louis or Minnesota. Minnesota may have their "future" QB in Ponder, but they aren't completely sold on him. RG3 vs. Ponder = stick with Ponder, Luck vs. Ponder = Go with Luck. Since the Labor Agreement changed having two 1st round QBs on the team is not a cap killer. Minnesota can probably trade Ponder for a 2nd round draft choice this year if they really wanted to.

    Bradford came in before the labor agreement, he's a bit more of a weight on the Rams cap. Fisher has to stick with him for a season or two at the least. Tampa Bay would probably offer it's 1/2 picks this year and a first next year to move up 3 spots and nab Luck. The Rams could probably get a 3 or 4 round pick in 2013 to boot.

    Endymion said:

    If the Colts foolishly select RG3 with the #1 pick, Andrew Luck will not be available at the #4 pick. The only way the Browns can get the best QB prospect (since probably Peyton Manning), is to move up. Teams will be salivating and make stupid trades with either St. Louis or Minnesota. Minnesota may have their "future" QB in Ponder, but they aren't completely sold on him. RG3 vs. Ponder = stick with Ponder, Luck vs. Ponder = Go with Luck. Since the Labor Agreement changed having two 1st round QBs on the team is not a cap killer. Minnesota can probably trade Ponder for a 2nd round draft choice this year if they really wanted to.

    Bradford came in before the labor agreement, he's a bit more of a weight on the Rams cap. Fisher has to stick with him for a season or two at the least. Tampa Bay would probably offer it's 1/2 picks this year and a first next year to move up 3 spots and nab Luck. The Rams could probably get a 3 or 4 round pick in 2013 to boot.

    i don't get all this "they're not sold on him yet" or "holmgren isn't sold on colt yet".

    what's it take to be "sold" on a guy? there are rumors here in ny that peyton manning might come to the jets because they're "not sold" on sanchez. hey say what you want but they play in a pretty tough division and didn't the guy take them to the playoffs a couple of years in a row? (his problem is he doesn't want to put the extra work in that the great qbs do) but who gives a shit about him right now.

    endymion says: Minnesota may have their "future" QB in Ponder, but they aren't completely sold on him. i mean they just drafted the guy. what'd he play in 3 games last year? and they're not sold on him? WTF?

    my nostradamus effect is i find out we trade down 2 spots, get claiborne and then burfict or hightower at 22. or better yet trade our 22 spot along with a second rounder and jump up and grab one of the top rated DEs.

  • Would you rather have Morris Claiborn or Chase Minnifield?

  • I'd rather have Minnifield. Because if we go Minnifield, it means we got better picks early on and still got a solid corner.

  • I'd rather have Minnifield. Because if we go Minnifield, it means we got better picks early on and still got a solid corner.

    @hunt-daddy said:

    I'd rather have Minnifield. Because if we go Minnifield, it means we got better picks early on and still got a solid corner.

    😁 +1- I sure hope so!

  • Anyway I think that we'll keep Hillis and if the Colts take RG3 I think that we go all in for Luck. That is the point of this thread, what would we have to do to go up and draft Luck. I don't think that the Rams would/could take Luck, they have Bradford. If they were to trade the pick that could land them either A)Protection for their 70 Million dollar QB or B)A legit WR in Blackmon I'd say that they'd be foolish, unless it's to Cleveland which will ensure that they land one or the other, PLUS if they were to swap picks with Cleveland it would cost them nothing and allow them to pick up another nice pick in the draft...Now the question becomes what pick would suffice. Sure the could trade to some other team but if they covet one of the players in the top 5 they'd have to make due with what we'd give them for it to make sense to trade out of the number two pick and risk losing a much needed playmaker... right?

    @poeticg said:

    Anyway I think that we'll keep Hillis and if the Colts take RG3 I think that we go all in for Luck. That is the point of this thread, what would we have to do to go up and draft Luck. I don't think that the Rams would/could take Luck, they have Bradford. If they were to trade the pick that could land them either A)Protection for their 70 Million dollar QB or B)A legit WR in Blackmon I'd say that they'd be foolish, unless it's to Cleveland which will ensure that they land one or the other, PLUS if they were to swap picks with Cleveland it would cost them nothing and allow them to pick up another nice pick in the draft...Now the question becomes what pick would suffice. Sure the could trade to some other team but if they covet one of the players in the top 5 they'd have to make due with what we'd give them for it to make sense to trade out of the number two pick and risk losing a much needed playmaker... right?

    Ok, in the interest of fan education, I'm going to show you what it would cost to move up and get Luck with the first pick. ...Draft Value Chart... this is the chart all GMs use to calculate trade ups, or downs memorize it. And if there's a quarterback involved there's point premium added to the trade.

    I already told you it would cost way too much to move up to #1. The first pick is worth 3,500 points (qb premium). The Browns #4 is worth 1,800. Go figure where the Browns are going to come up with 1,700 points. If you say their entire draft, you'd have it about right.

    Moving from #4 to #2 is far less costly- in a perfect world, it only will take our second round pick, and a third next year. Maybe not, if Dan Snyder goes nutso, and then we say, thanks but no thanks. Go for Barkley or Price in 2013, or trade down and take Tannehill.

  • @neo said:

    I say we draft a punter, field goal kicker, long snapper, or fullback with our #4 pick. Dawson won't be around forever, Maynard is getting up there too, and I am not convinced that Marecic is the answer either.

    I know you're kidding but if we draft Richardson at #4 that would essentially be upgrading our FB position(which btw does need improving) by using Richardson at HB and Hillis at FB we could have a one two punch to rival the Hillis Vickers combo!

    @poeticg said:

    I know you're kidding but if we draft Richardson at #4 that would essentially be upgrading our FB position(which btw does need improving) by using Richardson at HB and Hillis at FB we could have a one two punch to rival the Hillis Vickers combo!

    Actually, I wouldn't mind Richardson. Anybody other than a left tackle we have no use for. I guess Kalil COULD (and that's a big could) slide over to left guard, but I am not going to pay him top money for a position he might not be able to play. Still wouldn't draft him, it just wouldn't make sense. I agree that a Richardson/Hillis combo would be pretty deadly, but would Hillis agree to the switch?

  • Yeah, I don't know if he would like the switch. He said it himself that he wants to be a HB and he's always seen himself as a HB and not a FB. However, I think he could be a very good FB in a WCO. The FB in the WCO must be able to block, run and pass catch- which Hillis can do all three well. I think that if you split time between Richardson and Hillis at HB 50/50 he'd be okay with it...