Skip to content

Major Fa Who The Browns Should Sign

The Browns Board
37 22 3.1k
  • Sure, Vincent Jackson, but they had him signing with the ratbirds....

    I like the idea a lot. The Browns would still draft one, who can back up both tackle positions,

    and take over at RT eventually as the starter.

    *************************************************************

    http://bleacherrepor...nfl-team/page/9

    Jared Gaither, OT, age 26

    Tony Pashos, Cleveland's starting right tackle, gave up seven sacks despite missing time due to injury and will certainly

    need to be replaced if the offense is to improve.

    Intuition tells me that the Browns are going into the draft with every intention of selecting Trent Richardson in order to give

    Colt McCoy a bona fide threat and some relief after the catastrophe that was last season's ground game.

    Jared Gaither comes with inherent injury concerns, but he has all the ability to be one of the better tackles in the game and at the very

    least represents a substantial upgrade. Once a rookie starting left tackle for the Ravens, Gaither most recently applied his trade in

    San Diego in relief of the injured Marcus McNeill.

    A towering figure in the NFL, the 6'9", 340-lbs Gaither would likely put his naturally-gifted strength to even better use sliding to the

    right side, and he would come at a fairly low cap number.

    I am guessing this position will be addressed in the draft at some point, but the addition of Gaither could at the very least provide versatile, quality depth.

    runyon27R runyon27 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @calfoxwc said:

    Sure, Vincent Jackson, but they had him signing with the ratbirds....

    I like the idea a lot. The Browns would still draft one, who can back up both tackle positions,

    and take over at RT eventually as the starter.

    *************************************************************

    http://bleacherrepor...nfl-team/page/9

    Jared Gaither, OT, age 26

    Tony Pashos, Cleveland's starting right tackle, gave up seven sacks despite missing time due to injury and will certainly

    need to be replaced if the offense is to improve.

    Intuition tells me that the Browns are going into the draft with every intention of selecting Trent Richardson in order to give

    Colt McCoy a bona fide threat and some relief after the catastrophe that was last season's ground game.

    Jared Gaither comes with inherent injury concerns, but he has all the ability to be one of the better tackles in the game and at the very

    least represents a substantial upgrade. Once a rookie starting left tackle for the Ravens, Gaither most recently applied his trade in

    San Diego in relief of the injured Marcus McNeill.

    A towering figure in the NFL, the 6'9", 340-lbs Gaither would likely put his naturally-gifted strength to even better use sliding to the

    right side, and he would come at a fairly low cap number.

    I am guessing this position will be addressed in the draft at some point, but the addition of Gaither could at the very least provide versatile, quality depth.

    I would love for us to sign a quality tackle and or guard during FA this yr. If we did both that would certainly free up a draft pick to address another area.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #4

    I think Vincent Jackson would like to come to the Browns and be the wr headliner along with Little. Or Manningham. But I think the Browns will still draft a burner wr, too.

    And, they would probably draft another olineman, although it might be a bit later in the draft, as a dev project for a kid who needs some experience, but has a

    really nice upside. The draft is too far away.;

    ,

  • I think Vincent Jackson would like to come to the Browns and be the wr headliner along with Little. Or Manningham. But I think the Browns will still draft a burner wr, too.

    And, they would probably draft another olineman, although it might be a bit later in the draft, as a dev project for a kid who needs some experience, but has a

    really nice upside. The draft is too far away.;

    ,

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #5

    @calfoxwc said:

    I think Vincent Jackson would like to come to the Browns and be the wr headliner along with Little. Or Manningham. But I think the Browns will still draft a burner wr, too.

    And, they would probably draft another olineman, although it might be a bit later in the draft, as a dev project for a kid who needs some experience, but has a

    really nice upside. The draft is too far away.;

    ,

    Cal, you have to take everything you see on Bleacher Report with a serious grain of salt. You want my .02 on what's really going to happen come April? The Browns will get into a bidding war over RGIII.

    Yes, I know you want to give Colt another year with better receivers. I did too- until I spent about 3 hours this past week looking at Browns 2011 games, and the Baylor- Washington game. Trust me, Griffin can make throws Colt will NEVER be able to make, not if he spends the rest of his life in a gym working to improve his arm strength. You notice the Eli to Manningham toss in the SB? That pass is a yawner for Griffin.

    Only a question will be if Manning winds up with the Redskins and Griffin falls into our lap. It's an absolute no brainer on the Browns part to take RGIII.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I think Vincent Jackson would like to come to the Browns and be the wr headliner along with Little. Or Manningham. But I think the Browns will still draft a burner wr, too.

    And, they would probably draft another olineman, although it might be a bit later in the draft, as a dev project for a kid who needs some experience, but has a

    really nice upside. The draft is too far away.;

    ,

    Cal, you have to take everything you see on Bleacher Report with a serious grain of salt. You want my .02 on what's really going to happen come April? The Browns will get into a bidding war over RGIII.

    Yes, I know you want to give Colt another year with better receivers. I did too- until I spent about 3 hours this past week looking at Browns 2011 games, and the Baylor- Washington game. Trust me, Griffin can make throws Colt will NEVER be able to make, not if he spends the rest of his life in a gym working to improve his arm strength. You notice the Eli to Manningham toss in the SB? That pass is a yawner for Griffin.

    Only a question will be if Manning winds up with the Redskins and Griffin falls into our lap. It's an absolute no brainer on the Browns part to take RGIII.

    S snatch1 wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @hoorta said:

    Cal, you have to take everything you see on Bleacher Report with a serious grain of salt. You want my .02 on what's really going to happen come April? The Browns will get into a bidding war over RGIII.

    Yes, I know you want to give Colt another year with better receivers. I did too- until I spent about 3 hours this past week looking at Browns 2011 games, and the Baylor- Washington game. Trust me, Griffin can make throws Colt will NEVER be able to make, not if he spends the rest of his life in a gym working to improve his arm strength. You notice the Eli to Manningham toss in the SB? That pass is a yawner for Griffin.

    Only a question will be if Manning winds up with the Redskins and Griffin falls into our lap. It's an absolute no brainer on the Browns part to take RGIII.

    I think the Foreskins go hard after RG3 if they don't get Manning

  • Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Manningham is only as good as he is because of the other WR around him and the QB throwing to him. Besides Jackson most famous fault (DUIs) he has never had over 70 catches, is injury prone, and I don't think he has ever scored more than 9 TDs in a season.

  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #8

    My two dream free agent signing's for the off-season would be Dwayne Bowe and DE Anthony Spencer. We would fill our to biggest needs and leave the draft wide open for us to draft the best player instead of for need.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Cal, you have to take everything you see on Bleacher Report with a serious grain of salt. You want my .02 on what's really going to happen come April? The Browns will get into a bidding war over RGIII.

    Yes, I know you want to give Colt another year with better receivers. I did too- until I spent about 3 hours this past week looking at Browns 2011 games, and the Baylor- Washington game. Trust me, Griffin can make throws Colt will NEVER be able to make, not if he spends the rest of his life in a gym working to improve his arm strength. You notice the Eli to Manningham toss in the SB? That pass is a yawner for Griffin.

    Only a question will be if Manning winds up with the Redskins and Griffin falls into our lap. It's an absolute no brainer on the Browns part to take RGIII. Mr. Hoorta

    *************************************************************************************

    After watching mock drafts over the years be so wrong, any report should probly' be taken with a grain of salt !

    The Browns can't afford a bidding war... that's why I haven't watched the Baylor bowl game I recorded.... yet. I believe he is a very, very special player. There

    is no qb next year that is a great a prospect as RGIII and Luck this year.

    I have no problem with an elite qb taking over. I'd be all in wanting to draft RGIII - I'm a huge fan of his - if it were next year and the Browns fixed their RT, DE, LB,

    CB and WR problems. Now, if RGIII falls to the Browns at four? I don't think I could trade down with anybody. But I'd be happy if Richardson was in Cleveland next year.

    And Chase Minifield. And Zach Brown. And Bobbie Massie, RT. And Sanu, WR. FA will be serious for the Browns this spring, and that will make the draft exciting stuff.

    As soon as I watch the entire Baylor bowl game, I'm going to have to say goodbye to Richardson and a trade down. So, it's still on my

    "waiting to watch" list, along with some great westerns. But RGIII won't start the season at qb, but I'd love to see him waiting in the wings for a little while.

    And what better backup qb could the Browns have, if not for Colt? So, I'm waiting until I watch that bowl game, so my stupid mock draft will have RGIII in it.

    But an all out trade war - the Browns can't do that much in FA to pay that kind of price. I think.

  • ThaakT Thaak wrote on last edited by
    #10

    I doubt the Browns go RB at #4 overall. If they want Richardson, they will trade back to get him.

  • N Nw220 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Id love to see Stevie Johnson or Dwyane Bowe, and maybe Brandon Carr as well....

  • My two dream free agent signing's for the off-season would be Dwayne Bowe and DE Anthony Spencer. We would fill our to biggest needs and leave the draft wide open for us to draft the best player instead of for need.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Most of the WR's that fire me up are likely to stay put. Two I like that might move to the North Coast are Colston and Meachem, both with NO last year.

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    ... DE Anthony Spencer.

    Right position, wrong player...

    Assuming we can't land Mario Williams (The real Super Mario of this year's FA's 😉 ), who will leave Houston for a 4-3 team, then DE John Abrahams is my guy. Abrahams is a high-motor vet with some miles left.

    But Mario, back down in a three-point stance, is THE jewel of this year's defensive FA's...

  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I like Abraham to, but he'll be 34 this season and on his way out. Not the direction we should take. Spencer just turned 28, will cost less and should be playing his best ball now.

  • Most of the WR's that fire me up are likely to stay put. Two I like that might move to the North Coast are Colston and Meachem, both with NO last year.

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    ... DE Anthony Spencer.

    Right position, wrong player...

    Assuming we can't land Mario Williams (The real Super Mario of this year's FA's 😉 ), who will leave Houston for a 4-3 team, then DE John Abrahams is my guy. Abrahams is a high-motor vet with some miles left.

    But Mario, back down in a three-point stance, is THE jewel of this year's defensive FA's...

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @tour2ma said:

    Most of the WR's that fire me up are likely to stay put. Two I like that might move to the North Coast are Colston and Meachem, both with NO last year.

    Right position, wrong player...

    Assuming we can't land Mario Williams (The real Super Mario of this year's FA's 😉 ), who will leave Houston for a 4-3 team, then DE John Abrahams is my guy. Abrahams is a high-motor vet with some miles left.

    But Mario, back down in a three-point stance, is THE jewel of this year's defensive FA's...

    Williams would come at a high price, not certain he'd be interested in the Browns, but put him opposite Sheard, and Cleveland has a very studly defensive line. 🙂

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #15

    Mario Williams will ask for way too much salary.

    The best player Browns should target as a FA is Calais Campbell, the DE from Arizona. He is by far the next best available FA after Super Mario. He won't be too expensive.. not cheap, but not too expensive either. He's also 25.

    Abraham is finished - he was completely useless this past year in ATL.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #16

    If the Browns don't sign at least one FA to fill a need.... man...

  • Mario Williams will ask for way too much salary.

    The best player Browns should target as a FA is Calais Campbell, the DE from Arizona. He is by far the next best available FA after Super Mario. He won't be too expensive.. not cheap, but not too expensive either. He's also 25.

    Abraham is finished - he was completely useless this past year in ATL.

    Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @unsympathetic said:

    Mario Williams will ask for way too much salary.

    The best player Browns should target as a FA is Calais Campbell, the DE from Arizona. He is by far the next best available FA after Super Mario. He won't be too expensive.. not cheap, but not too expensive either. He's also 25.

    Abraham is finished - he was completely useless this past year in ATL.

    He had 9.5 sacks and 4 FF. Not stellar stats but still good, definitely not anywhere near useless. I will agree that he isn't the kind of person we should be going after.

  • D DawginIT wrote on last edited by
    #18

    I will say with certainty that the Browns won't sign a free agent DE for the intention of a starter but could for depth. This year's DE draft class is loaded. They will get a very good one within the first 2 rounds. I would agree that Manningham is not a true #1; however, he is so much better than any other receiver on the roster that it's a huge upgrade (although I feel Little can be VERY productive with another player like Manningham taking away much attention next season). Realistically, I think Robert Meachem would be a solid pick up if we are able to draft a stud (Blackmon/Floyd/Wright/Sanu). I think a guard/tackle is almost a lock to acquire in FA. Not going to be a big name, but will still be a big upgrade. I'm 6'1" 150 and I would be an upgrade over Pashos.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by MLD Woody
    #19

    I think if we got Manningham + Little, out of all the other WRs we have, one could step up as our 3rd WR.

    I say Manningham because it would be a speed WR next to Little's beastness at WR. A lot of the WRs that are realistically available in this FA class are more of a Little type of WR, and I think we could use a speed WR

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #20

    I'm still with Mathis, but I like the idea of signing the other guy from the Jags better, He's younger.

    But RT is a bigger problem for the Browns. It's easier to plug in a drafted DE, than a RT in a later round.

    So, I opted for the RT free agent. That's all.

  • N Nw220 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Mathis is fine with me as well as Campbell... Not a big Believer in Manningham, i see him as a #3 at best and he will want big money...

  • Mario Williams will ask for way too much salary.

    The best player Browns should target as a FA is Calais Campbell, the DE from Arizona. He is by far the next best available FA after Super Mario. He won't be too expensive.. not cheap, but not too expensive either. He's also 25.

    Abraham is finished - he was completely useless this past year in ATL.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #22

    Not a fan of Mathis' all-round game, but as a designated rusher I'd be willing to consider him, if he turned out to be fairly reasonably priced.

    Also not a Manningham fan. I'm not thinking of him as the "burner" others apparently are in this thread. I thought he was like a 4.5 guy... no?

    @unsympathetic said:

    Mario Williams will ask for way too much salary.

    Abraham is finished - he was completely useless this past year in ATL.

    And someone will pay it... it being Peppers-like $$$ plus some. Williams has developed into the type of dominant DE DC's dream of... but he's not an OLB.

    I'm not saying that we will be able to land Mario, but we have to at least get into the game. You can't win if you don't play.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    He had 9.5 sacks and 4 FF. Not stellar stats but still good, definitely not anywhere near useless. I will agree that he isn't the kind of person we should be going after.

    Yup... Abrahams far from done. A solid deep line you can rotate is maybe the key to what is left for Defenses to hold onto in our "modern" NFL. Abrahams would fill a need here.

    And he would supply the kind of Defensive leadership Fujita has. Unfortunately Scott is done as a player IMO... but as a coach??? If we didn't want him, I know a DC in Dallas that'd take him in a heartbeat. Trade?