Skip to content

Would You Waste It All For 1 Superbowl Win?

The Browns Board
34 15 1.8k
  • chocoC choco wrote on last edited by choco
    #3

    Nope...

    id rather win a few in a row. cant do that by going broke....

  • BendMeOverB BendMeOver wrote on last edited by
    #4

    You can only win one Super Bowl at a time. Worry about the next Super Bowl after you win 1.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #5

    First reaction was yes...

    Then I remembered how much I despised the Florida Marlins' one-season team for denying my Tribe their due.

    So no, I would not trade a decade of real, Conference Championship level competitiveness for a one-and-done SB winner.

  • 1 more season1 1 more season wrote on last edited by
    #6

    Sell the farm? Hell yah take it all. Win one then worry about what comes next because it really couldn't be any worse than last 18 yrs. or the last 40 plus for that matter.

    The list of teams that have never been to a SB is very short and the Browns need to get off of it. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if this team should have even been brought back. Something needs to happen soon.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #7

    I am not sure I understand the question.

  • htownbrownH htownbrown wrote on last edited by
    #8

    I would waste anyone of you for a superbowl win!!!!!

  • I am not sure I understand the question.

    R Represent wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @the-gipper said:

    I am not sure I understand the question.

    Would you cripple the front office and tie their hands for 5-10 years to start another rebuild, and you have 3 seasons of solid ball and a superbowl guarenteed to us in theory i am saying we will win a superbowl so would you take it, if it hurt the browns organization for along time?

    Heres my defense, I seen someone post about the Marlins one and done knock off our Tribe in 97 which was true, but my problem is WE LOST 95 WE LOST, Cavs Finals WE LOST... everytime we get to the one series that matters and we lost, I would go for broke just for a WINNER i don't want all of my memory of Cleveland sport franchises as losses.

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    There are no guarantees. Look at Atlanta, they made a bold move to get Julio Jones, thinking they were 1 player away from the Superbowl.

    The NY Jets have done that too....8-8.

    Recent memory around here was signing Andre Rison....fail. Raymond Claiborne, fail.

    Carolina did get to a Superbowl by selling the future, then suffered for years after.

    As much as I hate the Squealers, Ratbirds, & Patriots they stick with a plan and contend every season.

    We need to get to the playoffs, period.

    All that being said, I still voted "Yes" πŸ™„

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am not sure I understand the question.

    Would you cripple the front office and tie their hands for 5-10 years to start another rebuild, and you have 3 seasons of solid ball and a superbowl guarenteed to us in theory i am saying we will win a superbowl so would you take it, if it hurt the browns organization for along time?

    Heres my defense, I seen someone post about the Marlins one and done knock off our Tribe in 97 which was true, but my problem is WE LOST 95 WE LOST, Cavs Finals WE LOST... everytime we get to the one series that matters and we lost, I would go for broke just for a WINNER i don't want all of my memory of Cleveland sport franchises as losses.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @represent said:

    Would you cripple the front office and tie their hands for 5-10 years to start another rebuild, and you have 3 seasons of solid ball and a superbowl guarenteed to us in theory i am saying we will win a superbowl so would you take it, if it hurt the browns organization for along time?

    Can we go for "Time served" with this proposition? The Browns have already been crippled in their front office for the past 13 years. Lets count them....and win the Super Bowl....then see what happens in the future....all bets off.

    Heres my defense, I seen someone post about the Marlins one and done knock off our Tribe in 97 which was true, but my problem is WE LOST 95 WE LOST, Cavs Finals WE LOST... everytime we get to the one series that matters and we lost, I would go for broke just for a WINNER i don't want all of my memory of Cleveland sport franchises as losses.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Zombo said:

    Yes ... that's why you play the game.

    But if you have an elite QB, a top defensive coordinator, and you don't draft like an idiot you should always be able to challenge.

    Let's get RG and ride this thing out and see where it takes us...

    Zombo

    yes lets ride it out to 1-15

  • There are no guarantees. Look at Atlanta, they made a bold move to get Julio Jones, thinking they were 1 player away from the Superbowl.

    The NY Jets have done that too....8-8.

    Recent memory around here was signing Andre Rison....fail. Raymond Claiborne, fail.

    Carolina did get to a Superbowl by selling the future, then suffered for years after.

    As much as I hate the Squealers, Ratbirds, & Patriots they stick with a plan and contend every season.

    We need to get to the playoffs, period.

    All that being said, I still voted "Yes" πŸ™„

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @bob806 said:

    There are no guarantees. Look at Atlanta, they made a bold move to get Julio Jones, thinking they were 1 player away from the Superbowl.

    The NY Jets have done that too....8-8.

    Recent memory around here was signing Andre Rison....fail. Raymond Claiborne, fail.

    Carolina did get to a Superbowl by selling the future, then suffered for years after.

    As much as I hate the Squealers, Ratbirds, & Patriots they stick with a plan and contend every season.

    We need to get to the playoffs, period.

    All that being said, I still voted "Yes" πŸ™„

    You forgot about the Eagles bringing in Asomugah, and giving Vick Stupid Money.

    There are no guarantees.

    Just in case the "sell the Ranch for one Super Bowl" crowd missed it. You need to be more than just good- sometimes you have to get lucky too, (both Bengals SB trips), or get red hot at the right time- like the Giants who barely squeaked in this year (they had to beat Dallas the last week of the season to even make the playoffs).

    B.S.PN had all but handed the Lombardi trophy to the Packers before the playoffs started, and um, sorry Charlie. Baltimore had a mighty solid team- and didn't make the grade either.

    So sure, let's make a big push- fall flat like the Falcons and Eagles, and be screwed for the next 2-3 seasons. I've waited 48 years for a Championship- I figure I can wait a few more- because big push or not- realistically, that's how long it's going to take the Browns to get there.

  • chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
    #14

    lol...i find it funny that those that cry the loudest haven't even been alive half the time youve been watching the game...

  • @bob806 said:

    There are no guarantees. Look at Atlanta, they made a bold move to get Julio Jones, thinking they were 1 player away from the Superbowl.

    The NY Jets have done that too....8-8.

    Recent memory around here was signing Andre Rison....fail. Raymond Claiborne, fail.

    Carolina did get to a Superbowl by selling the future, then suffered for years after.

    As much as I hate the Squealers, Ratbirds, & Patriots they stick with a plan and contend every season.

    We need to get to the playoffs, period.

    All that being said, I still voted "Yes" πŸ™„

    You forgot about the Eagles bringing in Asomugah, and giving Vick Stupid Money.

    There are no guarantees.

    Just in case the "sell the Ranch for one Super Bowl" crowd missed it. You need to be more than just good- sometimes you have to get lucky too, (both Bengals SB trips), or get red hot at the right time- like the Giants who barely squeaked in this year (they had to beat Dallas the last week of the season to even make the playoffs).

    B.S.PN had all but handed the Lombardi trophy to the Packers before the playoffs started, and um, sorry Charlie. Baltimore had a mighty solid team- and didn't make the grade either.

    So sure, let's make a big push- fall flat like the Falcons and Eagles, and be screwed for the next 2-3 seasons. I've waited 48 years for a Championship- I figure I can wait a few more- because big push or not- realistically, that's how long it's going to take the Browns to get there.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @hoorta said:

    You forgot about the Eagles bringing in Asomugah, and giving Vick Stupid Money.

    There are no guarantees.

    Just in case the "sell the Ranch for one Super Bowl" crowd missed it. You need to be more than just good- sometimes you have to get lucky too, (both Bengals SB trips), or get red hot at the right time- like the Giants who barely squeaked in this year (they had to beat Dallas the last week of the season to even make the playoffs).

    B.S.PN had all but handed the Lombardi trophy to the Packers before the playoffs started, and um, sorry Charlie. Baltimore had a mighty solid team- and didn't make the grade either.

    So sure, let's make a big push- fall flat like the Falcons and Eagles, and be screwed for the next 2-3 seasons. I've waited 48 years for a Championship- I figure I can wait a few more- because big push or not- realistically, that's how long it's going to take the Browns to get there.

    Actually, I think it will be this coming season when all those moves pay off for the Eagles. I expect them to be prime contenders for the SB...

    Remember after all.....in 16 straight seasons a minimum of 5 teams that failed to make the playoffs one year made them the next year. I expect the Eagles to be one of those teams in 2012.

  • @bob806 said:

    There are no guarantees. Look at Atlanta, they made a bold move to get Julio Jones, thinking they were 1 player away from the Superbowl.

    The NY Jets have done that too....8-8.

    Recent memory around here was signing Andre Rison....fail. Raymond Claiborne, fail.

    Carolina did get to a Superbowl by selling the future, then suffered for years after.

    As much as I hate the Squealers, Ratbirds, & Patriots they stick with a plan and contend every season.

    We need to get to the playoffs, period.

    All that being said, I still voted "Yes" πŸ™„

    You forgot about the Eagles bringing in Asomugah, and giving Vick Stupid Money.

    There are no guarantees.

    Just in case the "sell the Ranch for one Super Bowl" crowd missed it. You need to be more than just good- sometimes you have to get lucky too, (both Bengals SB trips), or get red hot at the right time- like the Giants who barely squeaked in this year (they had to beat Dallas the last week of the season to even make the playoffs).

    B.S.PN had all but handed the Lombardi trophy to the Packers before the playoffs started, and um, sorry Charlie. Baltimore had a mighty solid team- and didn't make the grade either.

    So sure, let's make a big push- fall flat like the Falcons and Eagles, and be screwed for the next 2-3 seasons. I've waited 48 years for a Championship- I figure I can wait a few more- because big push or not- realistically, that's how long it's going to take the Browns to get there.

    1 more season1 1 more season wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @hoorta said:

    You forgot about the Eagles bringing in Asomugah, and giving Vick Stupid Money.

    There are no guarantees.

    Just in case the "sell the Ranch for one Super Bowl" crowd missed it. You need to be more than just good- sometimes you have to get lucky too, (both Bengals SB trips), or get red hot at the right time- like the Giants who barely squeaked in this year (they had to beat Dallas the last week of the season to even make the playoffs).

    B.S.PN had all but handed the Lombardi trophy to the Packers before the playoffs started, and um, sorry Charlie. Baltimore had a mighty solid team- and didn't make the grade either.

    So sure, let's make a big push- fall flat like the Falcons and Eagles, and be screwed for the next 2-3 seasons. I've waited 48 years for a Championship- I figure I can wait a few more- because big push or not- realistically, that's how long it's going to take the Browns to get there.

    I think your missing the point of the original question.

  • @hoorta said:

    You forgot about the Eagles bringing in Asomugah, and giving Vick Stupid Money.

    There are no guarantees.

    Just in case the "sell the Ranch for one Super Bowl" crowd missed it. You need to be more than just good- sometimes you have to get lucky too, (both Bengals SB trips), or get red hot at the right time- like the Giants who barely squeaked in this year (they had to beat Dallas the last week of the season to even make the playoffs).

    B.S.PN had all but handed the Lombardi trophy to the Packers before the playoffs started, and um, sorry Charlie. Baltimore had a mighty solid team- and didn't make the grade either.

    So sure, let's make a big push- fall flat like the Falcons and Eagles, and be screwed for the next 2-3 seasons. I've waited 48 years for a Championship- I figure I can wait a few more- because big push or not- realistically, that's how long it's going to take the Browns to get there.

    I think your missing the point of the original question.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #17

    @1-more-season said:

    I think your missing the point of the original question.

    No, I got it. The original question is flawed by the reality of life in the NFL. You give me a 100% guarantee that Browns are going to win the Super Bowl by selling the ranch? OK then. As I said, the reality is there are no guarantees. Two teams made sell out deals in 2012, and didn't win the SB. If Atlanta doesn't win in 2013, the Jones trade was an epic fail, ditto the Eagles, with Asomugah & Vick. BTW, both those teams were much farther along in the talent department than the end of 2012 season Cleveland Browns. In fact, selling the ranch for the big prize almost never works out (it may make you a playoff team), you'd have to go back a long, long way to find me a team that won it all using that method.

  • chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
    #18

    perhaps another way to ask this question would be:

    how desperate are you to see the browns win the superbowl?

  • perhaps another way to ask this question would be:

    how desperate are you to see the browns win the superbowl?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @choco said:

    perhaps another way to ask this question would be:

    how desperate are you to see the browns win the superbowl?

    Truthfully, it is quite irrelevent because we have absolutely no control over the situation.

    I mean, it is like these stupid Steeler fans that think that because they believe themselves to be "great fans" that that somehow contributes to the Steeler success.

    It doesn't. It doesn't add the fumes of one cabbage fart to the Steeler's success.

    Some publications talk about how the Steeler fan base is so great/large/loyal etc. Balderdash. They just have a winning management/coaching base that has everything to do with their winning.

    That fan base is no more loyal/great/large as the Browns fan base, the Bills, the Bengals, the Lions, the Bears etc...any of the Midwestern city fan bases. What the Steelers have that the others don't have Mr. Wizard, is the victories that have been earned by their ownership/management. That is it.

    So, it doesn't matter how desparate we are to win a title. It won't help one stinking bit. If all of us here washed our hands of the Browns to follow quidditch, rugby, soccer, or musical theater it wouldn't matter. The success or failure of the Browns is solely and completely in the hands of its owner and front office and coaches.

    We can talk all we want. It won't make any difference.

  • R Represent wrote on last edited by
    #20

    The 9 no votes for a guarenteed superbowl in Cleveland just tell me the truth about the level of stupidity on these forums.

    If you want to break down the basic math of the NFL as it is today

    Chances to win a superbowl 1/32

    Steelers 6

    49'ers 5

    Cowboys 5

    Giants 4

    Packers 4

    Raiders 3 (2 Oak 1 LA)

    Patriots 3

    Redskins 2

    Dolphins 2

    Broncos 2

    Colts 2 (1 Indy 1 Balt)

    Rams 1

    Jets 1

    Ravens 1

    Saints 1

    Chiefs 1

    Bears 1

    Bucs 1

    14 teams have no superbowls to include to Cleveland Browns, i don't even want to include apperances because it makes me sad.

    I only asked would you trade away and kill the team just to win once in your lifetime, all the petty explainations are killing me, i truly believe half the fan base just likes to go get fucked up at the tailgate and loves to walk out the stadium every year in december with 4-6 wins 10 degree weather and primed for the draft.

    If we turn it around here the next few years with HnH so be it but winning a superbowl is the be all end all in the NFL everything else is a failure.

  • T Taco918 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Well the question has two flaws. First how can you sell the farm and still expect to get to a Super Bowl? Now if the farm is draft picks its plausible but even if the Browns did that we still have so many holes to fill it would take a couple of farms to pull it off. Secondly there are no guarantees in the NFL. Who was the last team to sell the farm and actually win a Super Bowl? Im a pretty young so I really can't recall a team pulling it off. Regardless that's why I voted no. It isn't plausible or practical.

  • The 9 no votes for a guarenteed superbowl in Cleveland just tell me the truth about the level of stupidity on these forums.

    If you want to break down the basic math of the NFL as it is today

    Chances to win a superbowl 1/32

    Steelers 6

    49'ers 5

    Cowboys 5

    Giants 4

    Packers 4

    Raiders 3 (2 Oak 1 LA)

    Patriots 3

    Redskins 2

    Dolphins 2

    Broncos 2

    Colts 2 (1 Indy 1 Balt)

    Rams 1

    Jets 1

    Ravens 1

    Saints 1

    Chiefs 1

    Bears 1

    Bucs 1

    14 teams have no superbowls to include to Cleveland Browns, i don't even want to include apperances because it makes me sad.

    I only asked would you trade away and kill the team just to win once in your lifetime, all the petty explainations are killing me, i truly believe half the fan base just likes to go get fucked up at the tailgate and loves to walk out the stadium every year in december with 4-6 wins 10 degree weather and primed for the draft.

    If we turn it around here the next few years with HnH so be it but winning a superbowl is the be all end all in the NFL everything else is a failure.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #22

    @represent said:

    The 9 no votes for a guarenteed superbowl in Cleveland just tell me the truth about the level of stupidity on these forums.

    If you want to break down the basic math of the NFL as it is today

    Chances to win a superbowl 1/32

    14 teams have no superbowls to include to Cleveland Browns, i don't even want to include appearances because it makes me sad.

    I only asked would you trade away and kill the team just to win once in your lifetime, all the petty explanations are killing me, i truly believe half the fan base just likes to go get fucked up at the tailgate and loves to walk out the stadium every year in december with 4-6 wins 10 degree weather and primed for the draft.

    If we turn it around here the next few years with HnH so be it but winning a superbowl is the be all end all in the NFL everything else is a failure.

    Yeah, and if you look at the teams with multiple SB wins NONE of them killed the team to win now. They were all built for the long haul with draft choices, or in a few cases astute trades. IIRC, the only team that ever tried it with some success was: ....Over the Hill gang 40 years ago .....ROTFL, too bad they ran into possibly the greatest team ever- the Miami Dolphins in the Super Bowl!!!

    Sorry you're out of patience- I've been waiting 48 years for a repeat championship- and Indians fans have been waiting even longer- there's not that many of them left alive who can remember 1948. You really think I've loved shelling out for season tickets since '99, and making the 440 mile round trip drive to see this junk? If we win one while I'm still alive- then great- if not- so be it. H&H are finally building this team the right way for the first time in 25 years, and you antsy boogers already want to toss it all down the sewer to have a winning season- with no guarantees of SB glory. Yeah, don't matter if you're good, and unlucky. I well remember The Drive, Fumble, and I was in the stands for Red Right 88. OTOH, the Bengals had luck out the wazoo when they made the SB- fumble recoveries on demand, opposing FGs bouncing off of goalposts out, and their FGs hitting goalposts and bouncing through.

    So take a lesson from Chicago Cubs fans- ain't one of them alive who remembers the last time they won a World Series. And if you can't stand the losing, do me a favor find another winning team to root for. πŸ™‚