Todd Mcshay Has Us...
-
We need more than just talented, solid players. We need all-pro , superstar game changers at priority positions.
If RG3 is to become a star franchise quarterback than it's absolutely necessary and no question to trade the house to get him. If they do that and he becomes a franchise guy no one is going to care about the picks traded to get him when we are in the playoffs. On the other hand if we do that and he's not what we hope it will cripple us for years. And as a Browns fan it's hard not to be pessimistic.
Honestly at this point the Browns are so much of a joke why not take the risk and swing for the fences.
On one hand I like the idea of drafting solid guys and building a strong foundation but while new talent develops other talent declines and ages so we end up stuck in mediocrity. Sooner or later you have to gamble and this seems like a good as time as any on a guy like RG3.
At the end of the day passing up on the opportunity to take him is playing not to lose.
Why? I will tell you why. Because I don't want the Browns to be the New Orleans Saints of the 70s....a team that had perhaps the best QB in the league with Archie Manning....whose skill set was not dissimilar to RGIIIs....but the team was so bad around him that they couldn't win a thing.
This team need replenishment at so many positions that to expend vast valuable resources to get 1 guy is absurd.
I don't mind getting that one guy....if we can get him with what we have....but no way would I advocate giving up anything more than say another 3rd or 4th round pick to move up 2 slots.
the Browns HAVE to have those picks at #22 and at the top of the second round to get some talent at positions that they desperately need talent. Giving either of those commodities up to move up 2 slots in unacceptable to me. I mean, sure, we could have another Michael Vick...or another Akili Smith.
I mean, sure, we could have another Michael Vick...or another Akili Smith.
Akili Smith really? Smith was arrested for assault and drunken driving while in college and failed to pass SAT.
It took RG3 three years each to graduate high school and college and has no concerns of character.
Smith ran a pro style offense with the Ducks while RG3 ran the spread.
The only comparison they have is the color of their skin.
-
To me it seems silly that Todd McShay would even make a comment like this before the March 15th deadline arrives. Teams will move up or down the draft board based upon free agent signings and I seriously doubt any team would venture a trade offer prior to then. The Bucs, Skins and maybe even the Jags are potential trade candidates for the Rams/Vikings. I believe that both the Rams/Vikings are considering Blackmon as their selection, who will not be available after a trade.
Unless the Bucs, Skins or Jags have idiots employed in their personnel department (and I think the Skins do...i.e. the owner Snyder) those teams do not appear primed for a play-off run in 2012. That would mean a huge, huge cost to trade this years and next years 1st rounders to move up a few spots. Not to mention, that cost may likely include a 3rd/4th rounder from this year as well.
Everything really falls on Indy. If they keep Peyton Manning (which seems highly unlikely), selecting Andrew Luck will be a huge problem for them. Were I Luck, I would pull a John Elway on Irsay and company. RG3 can wait 1/2 years before taking over the reins in Indy, Luck is more likely to cause friction. Luck does not want an Aaron Rodgers type treatment. Indy can't select RG3 with the 1st overall pick, they would need to trade back to get him, as you can't select an inferior QB first. Hence Cleveland is the only team truly capable of interesting Indy.
I think Holmgren/Heckert may consider moving up 2 spots for RG3, but I don't see them offering more than the #4 pick and your second round pick this year. No other team can match that offer without spending future first rounders and I've already stated my opinion that the three other teams in possible contention for RG3 would be idiots to do so.
You could say Miami is a potential trade candidate for RG3, but that's a huge fall for the trade partner and Miami seems to have a bit better prospects for 2012 with RG3 than the other teams would with RG3.
Endymion said:
To me it seems silly that Todd McShay would even make a comment like this before the March 15th deadline arrives. Teams will move up or down the draft board based upon free agent signings and I seriously doubt any team would venture a trade offer prior to then. The Bucs, Skins and maybe even the Jags are potential trade candidates for the Rams/Vikings. I believe that both the Rams/Vikings are considering Blackmon as their selection, who will not be available after a trade.
Unless the Bucs, Skins or Jags have idiots employed in their personnel department (and I think the Skins do...i.e. the owner Snyder) those teams do not appear primed for a play-off run in 2012. That would mean a huge, huge cost to trade this years and next years 1st rounders to move up a few spots. Not to mention, that cost may likely include a 3rd/4th rounder from this year as well.
Everything really falls on Indy. If they keep Peyton Manning (which seems highly unlikely), selecting Andrew Luck will be a huge problem for them. Were I Luck, I would pull a John Elway on Irsay and company. RG3 can wait 1/2 years before taking over the reins in Indy, Luck is more likely to cause friction. Luck does not want an Aaron Rodgers type treatment. Indy can't select RG3 with the 1st overall pick, they would need to trade back to get him, as you can't select an inferior QB first. Hence Cleveland is the only team truly capable of interesting Indy.
I think Holmgren/Heckert may consider moving up 2 spots for RG3, but I don't see them offering more than the #4 pick and your second round pick this year. No other team can match that offer without spending future first rounders and I've already stated my opinion that the three other teams in possible contention for RG3 would be idiots to do so.
You could say Miami is a potential trade candidate for RG3, but that's a huge fall for the trade partner and Miami seems to have a bit better prospects for 2012 with RG3 than the other teams would with RG3.
Just out of curiosity why would you think the Bucs would move up?? I wouldn't think they would have interest in RGIII at all. Freeman had a spectacular second year ... and while he didn't live up to the hype from year 2 he still didn't play bad. I wouldn't think they have any interest in a QB right now. Especially not at the premium it would take to get RGIII
-
To me it seems silly that Todd McShay would even make a comment like this before the March 15th deadline arrives. Teams will move up or down the draft board based upon free agent signings and I seriously doubt any team would venture a trade offer prior to then. The Bucs, Skins and maybe even the Jags are potential trade candidates for the Rams/Vikings. I believe that both the Rams/Vikings are considering Blackmon as their selection, who will not be available after a trade.
Unless the Bucs, Skins or Jags have idiots employed in their personnel department (and I think the Skins do...i.e. the owner Snyder) those teams do not appear primed for a play-off run in 2012. That would mean a huge, huge cost to trade this years and next years 1st rounders to move up a few spots. Not to mention, that cost may likely include a 3rd/4th rounder from this year as well.
Everything really falls on Indy. If they keep Peyton Manning (which seems highly unlikely), selecting Andrew Luck will be a huge problem for them. Were I Luck, I would pull a John Elway on Irsay and company. RG3 can wait 1/2 years before taking over the reins in Indy, Luck is more likely to cause friction. Luck does not want an Aaron Rodgers type treatment. Indy can't select RG3 with the 1st overall pick, they would need to trade back to get him, as you can't select an inferior QB first. Hence Cleveland is the only team truly capable of interesting Indy.
I think Holmgren/Heckert may consider moving up 2 spots for RG3, but I don't see them offering more than the #4 pick and your second round pick this year. No other team can match that offer without spending future first rounders and I've already stated my opinion that the three other teams in possible contention for RG3 would be idiots to do so.
You could say Miami is a potential trade candidate for RG3, but that's a huge fall for the trade partner and Miami seems to have a bit better prospects for 2012 with RG3 than the other teams would with RG3.
Endymion said:
Everything really falls on Indy. If they keep Peyton Manning (which seems highly unlikely), selecting Andrew Luck will be a huge problem for them. Were I Luck, I would pull a John Elway on Irsay and company. RG3 can wait 1/2 years before taking over the reins in Indy, Luck is more likely to cause friction. Luck does not want an Aaron Rodgers type treatment. Indy can't select RG3 with the 1st overall pick, they would need to trade back to get him, as you can't select an inferior QB first. Hence Cleveland is the only team truly capable of interesting Indy.
Zero percent chance that Indy either trades this pick or does not select Luck. Its a waste of time for me to even type these 2 sentences to respond to this.
-
Old people and uncomfortable racism .... ah. The things you miss while away at college
-
RG3 is a deep ball power slinger and left handed, so unless the browns are willing to dedicate to building around rg3s biggest assets which would include a new vertical playbook, a strong right blindside and some blazing fast WRs it would be waste and with shurmur as the HC a likely disaster in the making..
I do not regard this stubborn ancient minded regime as being open to changing anything that might induce the club to modernize and or win so i would almost bet my right testicle this is not even remotely in the plans and is just another bad guess by a so called pro..
-
-

HE LOOKS SO LITTLE!

-

HE LOOKS SO LITTLE!

-

HE LOOKS SO LITTLE!

-
I mean, sure, we could have another Michael Vick...or another Akili Smith.
Akili Smith really? Smith was arrested for assault and drunken driving while in college and failed to pass SAT.
It took RG3 three years each to graduate high school and college and has no concerns of character.
Smith ran a pro style offense with the Ducks while RG3 ran the spread.
The only comparison they have is the color of their skin.
It took RG3 three years each to graduate high school and college and has no concerns of character.
hmmm....he put up 4 years of stats in only 3 years? he must be really damn good!
-
If we trade our 22nd pick to move up two slots for RGR3, then i'm warning everyone on this Board right now that he'd better be a star from Day 1 with whatever line and whatever WR's are on our roster. If he isn't winning (starting with Week 1), then my assault will make Lumberg's episode here look like a fairy tale.
i haven't seen a love affair like this since we drafted Wali Rainer (and he was a 4th rounder). i'm getting psyched for this draft.
If we trade our 22nd pick to move up two slots for RGR3, then i'm warning everyone on this Board right now that he'd better be a star from Day 1 with whatever line and whatever WR's are on our roster. If he isn't winning (starting with Week 1), then my assault will make Lumberg's episode here look like a fairy tale.
i haven't seen a love affair like this since we drafted Wali Rainer (and he was a 4th rounder). i'm getting psyched for this draft.
I agree, but I am kind of to that point no matter who we draft.
If at any point in the season we fall 2 games under .500, starting players need to be replaced. At any point during the season we drop 3 games under .500, or lose 3 in a row, the coach is fired.
If you can't win one out of three, you can't coach my team. If you can't keep the team better than 3 games under .500, you have a failed plan that needs to be replaced.
-
I mean, sure, we could have another Michael Vick...or another Akili Smith.
Akili Smith really? Smith was arrested for assault and drunken driving while in college and failed to pass SAT.
It took RG3 three years each to graduate high school and college and has no concerns of character.
Smith ran a pro style offense with the Ducks while RG3 ran the spread.
The only comparison they have is the color of their skin.
Akili Smith really? Smith was arrested for assault and drunken driving while in college and failed to pass SAT.
It took RG3 three years each to graduate high school and college and has no concerns of character.
Smith ran a pro style offense with the Ducks while RG3 ran the spread.
The only comparison they have is the color of their skin.
OK, another Ryan Leaf, or Joey Harrington, or Cade McNown, or Brady Quinn.
All I am saying is that I am more than willing to take this guy...but not at the expense of "wasting" 2 First round picks if he flops.
-
Old people and uncomfortable racism .... ah. The things you miss while away at college
Bullshit. I will guaranfuckingdamntee that you are as many or more racist people your age than there are people my age, not that there is not a share of racists my age.
-
Old people and uncomfortable racism .... ah. The things you miss while away at college
Bullshit. I will guaranfuckingdamntee that you are as many or more racist people your age than there are people my age, not that there is not a share of racists my age.
Bullshit. I will guaranfuckingdamntee that you are as many or more racist people your age than there are people my age, not that there is not a share of racists my age.
It's not really about age to be honest. On college campuses, you tend to run into a lot less bigotry and narrow-mindedness. To qualify myself, it's still there, and I'm sure it varies by campus, but one does tend to run into more ignorance when venturing outside of the ivory towers of academia.
-
Bullshit. I will guaranfuckingdamntee that you are as many or more racist people your age than there are people my age, not that there is not a share of racists my age.
It's not really about age to be honest. On college campuses, you tend to run into a lot less bigotry and narrow-mindedness. To qualify myself, it's still there, and I'm sure it varies by campus, but one does tend to run into more ignorance when venturing outside of the ivory towers of academia.
It's not really about age to be honest. On college campuses, you tend to run into a lot less bigotry and narrow-mindedness. To qualify myself, it's still there, and I'm sure it varies by campus, but one does tend to run into more ignorance when venturing outside of the ivory towers of academia.
Yea, well, trust me, if you go to Hilltuck South Carolina you are certainly going to see it more than on the campuses of the East or Midwest.
-
Well yeah the region matters.
Age definitely matters too, maybe just not as much
(I don't mean full blown racist, there are obviously different levels)
-
Well yeah the region matters.
Age definitely matters too, maybe just not as much
(I don't mean full blown racist, there are obviously different levels)
Well yeah the region matters.
Age definitely matters too, maybe just not as much
(I don't mean full blown racist, there are obviously different levels)
Age is NOT the issue, at all. It is cultural upbringing.
I mean, look at this this way, my upbringing said it was wrong to discriminate on the basis of race, creed, religion, sexual orientation etc.
....but that it was perfectly acceptable to discriminate against anyone that goes to Michigan.
Ya follow?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

...to some degree...