Skip to content

Browns Expected To Make A Play For Matt Flynn

The Browns Board
33 25 2.4k
  • From PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/23/report-browns-expected-to-make-a-play-for-matt-flynn/

    Report: Browns expected to make a play for Matt Flynn

    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 23, 2012, 11:04 PM EST

    There has been a lot of chatter at the Combine about the Browns trying to trade up for Robert Griffin III.

    But what if Cleveland has already invested big bucks in a quarterback well before the draft?

    Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository writes the Browns brass “will make a play for Matt Flynn” with the hopes of making Flynn the team’s starter. They will have competition, though.

    “There will be a budget that will not be exceeded in the play for Flynn,” Doerschuk writes.

    That budget may have to include draft picks if the Packers use the franchise tag on Flynn. The Green Bay Press-Gazette believes that’s a “real possibility.”

    Doerschuk believes the Dolphins are ultimately the favorites for Flynn. Miami might not be confident in their ability to get a rookie quarterback to build around and coach Joe Philbin’s history with Flynn gives Miami inside knowledge. (Let’s assume that’s a positive.)

    Teams like Cleveland and Washington are in a tough spot. They may want Griffin, but can they wait for him and risk getting stuck in another season without a real quarterback?

  • Kevin Kolb 2.0 anyone? I can't really comment too much on the guy since i really haven't seen him play. But the guy hasn't played that much. He had one great game with the outstanding Packer's offense, now everyone talks about him like he's a hot commodity.

    Like any player, it's a crap shoot. He probably has a better chance of going to Miami since the Packers O coordinator went there. Plus the weather is much nicer.

  • I agree it's a crap shoot, but I wouldn't discount what he did with that "great Packer O". People don't say that about Rodgers do they?? The fact is Flynn kept the machine running without missing a beat. It could be argued it even ran a little better, at least for that day. The fact is he showed all a GM needs to see....he has shown he can do it.

    In a ideal, glass half full world, we do take Flynn and he works out. This way we have our QB and solid back-up, plus the use of 2 first rounders on a non qb position.

    If we take away the emotion of who we like, who we hate, who's going to be great, who's going to bust, having our QB situation settled before the draft is option 1A.

  • From PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/23/report-browns-expected-to-make-a-play-for-matt-flynn/

    Report: Browns expected to make a play for Matt Flynn

    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 23, 2012, 11:04 PM EST

    There has been a lot of chatter at the Combine about the Browns trying to trade up for Robert Griffin III.

    But what if Cleveland has already invested big bucks in a quarterback well before the draft?

    Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository writes the Browns brass “will make a play for Matt Flynn” with the hopes of making Flynn the team’s starter. They will have competition, though.

    “There will be a budget that will not be exceeded in the play for Flynn,” Doerschuk writes.

    That budget may have to include draft picks if the Packers use the franchise tag on Flynn. The Green Bay Press-Gazette believes that’s a “real possibility.”

    Doerschuk believes the Dolphins are ultimately the favorites for Flynn. Miami might not be confident in their ability to get a rookie quarterback to build around and coach Joe Philbin’s history with Flynn gives Miami inside knowledge. (Let’s assume that’s a positive.)

    Teams like Cleveland and Washington are in a tough spot. They may want Griffin, but can they wait for him and risk getting stuck in another season without a real quarterback?

    @usfbrown said:

    That budget may have to include draft picks if the Packers use the franchise tag on Flynn. The Green Bay Press-Gazette believes that’s a “real possibility.”

    Franchise a back-up QB??? When pigs fly...

    Look at all the hot commodity, back ups that have come and gone based upon a season or less of work. Only one, Matt Schaub has shown he has the chops to make it as a team's #1.

    And you do not crap shoot away a first-round pick...

  • yea cant wait for the wedge to be drove into the browns fans on this signing. Nobody wants a third round qb so lets go sign a seventh round guy

  • yea cant wait for the wedge to be drove into the browns fans on this signing. Nobody wants a third round qb so lets go sign a seventh round guy

    @cdl15 said:

    yea cant wait for the wedge to be drove into the browns fans on this signing. Nobody wants a third round qb so lets go sign a seventh round guy

    I don't care about where he was drafted, I care about if he can play on an elite level. I don't really know enough about the guy to make a strong informed opinion, but I will say if he's got the tools there wouldn't be a better fit for the guy than Cleveland.

  • If the Packers franchise Flynn and we have to trade our 22 plus pay Flynn a huge contract I'd rather roll the dice with RG3.

  • If the Packers franchise Flynn and we have to trade our 22 plus pay Flynn a huge contract I'd rather roll the dice with RG3.

    @badnewsbrowns said:

    If the Packers franchise Flynn and we have to trade our 22 plus pay Flynn a huge contract I'd rather roll the dice with RG3.

    Yep, I can see a possible play for Flynn if he is a FA, I dont want to trade for him.

  • Can you say Scott Mitchell?

  • this has holmgren written all over it. just cause its a similar situation to scott mitchell's doesn't mean flynn will end up the same. youre smarter than that gipper.

    flyyn is a nice option that only costs money...something we have plenty of. how is this anymore risky than trading picks for griffin?

  • Zombo said:

    I haven't watched the Packers-Lions game, so I haven't really seen him play since his only year as a starter in college where he won the National Championship and played really well in beating Ohio St. for the title, but I don't remember being impressed with him as a pro prospect. His scouting report out of college is not that impressive.

    I actually saw the Packers-Lions game and might be the only guy that wasn't overly impressed. I mean, Flynn was certainly efficient, but I only saw 2 or 3 really good throws. I swear most of his TD passes were off of screens. The two I specifically remember are a 1 yard pass to the RB that turned into a 70 yard TD, and a WR screen to Jordy Nelson where he stiff arms a guy to the ground and runs it 10 yards into the endzone. Flynn did have 1 really nice deep ball to Jordy Nelson for a TD but the rest were all dink and dunk where the WRs and RBs made all the big plays happen after the catch.

    Now that doesn't mean Flynn isn't a good QB. You are going to run plays that move the ball no matter how it is done. But knowing what the Browns have at RB and WR, Flynn can't rely on YAC to move the chains. I do not want Flynn if GB tags him and we have to give up draft picks and pay him $14+ million. I would rather have Griffin. And that's saying a lot since I really don't even want Griffin unless we can somehow add a stud WR, RB, and RT all in the same draft.

  • So when the price of top picks in the draft gets cut in half, we decide we want to pay big buchs for an unproven back up?

  • These are my options at QB.

    1)Ride this thing out with Colt McCoy, we're not sure what we have in him yet.

    2)If we must sign a QB every year I'd like to bring in Brock Oswieler from ASU to backup Colt.

    3)If those aren't good enough than I'd much rather take RG3 than Flynn.

    4)... Shurmur said that he's going to talk to Andrew Luck and they can say or write that however they want- maybe they trade the farm for Luck? In this case this option is the wildcard that trumps poor Colt.

  • this has holmgren written all over it. just cause its a similar situation to scott mitchell's doesn't mean flynn will end up the same. youre smarter than that gipper.

    flyyn is a nice option that only costs money...something we have plenty of. how is this anymore risky than trading picks for griffin?

    @choco said:

    this has holmgren written all over it. just cause its a similar situation to scott mitchell's doesn't mean flynn will end up the same. youre smarter than that gipper.

    flyyn is a nice option that only costs money...something we have plenty of. how is this anymore risky than trading picks for griffin?

    It is not a matter of being "smart". The truth is, no one knows. I was just speculating. Sure, instead of the next Scott Mitchell he could be the next Johhny Unitas for all I know.

    No one knows.

  • If you gave up your #1 pick (#4 overall) for Matt Flynn, that would be the king of stupid, Mike Wallace would be a far better investment. As other posters have said, Matt Flynn is still too much of an unknown commodity, and I suspect he's kinda a one hit wonder. The Browns would be better served going after RGIII.

  • If you gave up your #1 pick (#4 overall) for Matt Flynn, that would be the king of stupid, Mike Wallace would be a far better investment. As other posters have said, Matt Flynn is still too much of an unknown commodity, and I suspect he's kinda a one hit wonder. The Browns would be better served going after RGIII.

    Endymion said:

    If you gave up your #1 pick (#4 overall) for Matt Flynn, that would be the king of stupid, Mike Wallace would be a far better investment. As other posters have said, Matt Flynn is still too much of an unknown commodity, and I suspect he's kinda a one hit wonder. The Browns would be better served going after RGIII.

    Yes, I agree. Anderson had a few good games until opposing defensive co-coordinators figured him out. Hate to ditto that for McCoy, but I'm starting to get the feeling it's true. Green Bay would be nuts to franchise Flynn- but giving up both first rounders to draft RGIII is both a cheaper and better option IMHO.

    Cassell, Kolb, Mitchell- Oh MY!!!!

  • How much would you trade away to get Luck?

  • How much would you trade away to get Luck?

    @mld-woody said:

    How much would you trade away to get Luck?

    It's not how much the Browns would trade away- it's how much the Colts are going to ask. And it's not going to be realistic. I've heard three first rounders thrown out.

    In actuality, the Colts aren't going to trade out of the first pick at any price. They see Manning II.

  • I woke up this morning with a text from my friends in GreenBay

    Hey J You owe a thank you to the city of GreenBay and all it's fans for your future franchise probowl QB !!Flynning!!

    I almost threwup a little in my mouth I am hoping this Canton kid is completely off and GreenBay wants to suck our tits for our first round picks and HELL NO i ain't down with that.

  • Zombo said:

    I haven't watched the Packers-Lions game, so I haven't really seen him play since his only year as a starter in college where he won the National Championship and played really well in beating Ohio St. for the title, but I don't remember being impressed with him as a pro prospect. His scouting report out of college is not that impressive.

    Everyone went gaga for Kelly Holcomb after one huge relief start as well, but once teams got a book on him the next season he was what we was ... average at best.

    The Browns staff would have connections in the Packer staff, they are all WCO treeers, so I would think they would have a good idea of where they value him.

    My thought is that for a team that has ached so long without a franchise QB, to bring in a 7th rounder to compete with the 3rd rounder is doing a disservice to the franchise when you hold #4 and #21 and there are two franchise QBs in the Top 5, one of whom you would have a real shot at, and he seems perfectly fit for the WCO.

    Maybe I'm just too tantalized by Griffin, I know Holmgren picked Favre and Hasslebeck off of other rosters and we've seen other WCO QBs like Brunnell come off another roster and have success ... BUT ... as a Browns fan give me a guy with blue chip long-term potential like Griffin, he could still be an asset if Holmgren and co. fail and we are starting over in two years, as opposed to Flynn, who, if he crashes then Shurmur, Holmgren and the rest are probably gone and we are starting all over with no franchise QB again.

    Zombo