Skip to content

Browns Expected To Make A Play For Matt Flynn

The Browns Board
33 25 2.4k
  • chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
    #10

    this has holmgren written all over it. just cause its a similar situation to scott mitchell's doesn't mean flynn will end up the same. youre smarter than that gipper.

    flyyn is a nice option that only costs money...something we have plenty of. how is this anymore risky than trading picks for griffin?

  • B bringbackbrownie2 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Zombo said:

    I haven't watched the Packers-Lions game, so I haven't really seen him play since his only year as a starter in college where he won the National Championship and played really well in beating Ohio St. for the title, but I don't remember being impressed with him as a pro prospect. His scouting report out of college is not that impressive.

    I actually saw the Packers-Lions game and might be the only guy that wasn't overly impressed. I mean, Flynn was certainly efficient, but I only saw 2 or 3 really good throws. I swear most of his TD passes were off of screens. The two I specifically remember are a 1 yard pass to the RB that turned into a 70 yard TD, and a WR screen to Jordy Nelson where he stiff arms a guy to the ground and runs it 10 yards into the endzone. Flynn did have 1 really nice deep ball to Jordy Nelson for a TD but the rest were all dink and dunk where the WRs and RBs made all the big plays happen after the catch.

    Now that doesn't mean Flynn isn't a good QB. You are going to run plays that move the ball no matter how it is done. But knowing what the Browns have at RB and WR, Flynn can't rely on YAC to move the chains. I do not want Flynn if GB tags him and we have to give up draft picks and pay him $14+ million. I would rather have Griffin. And that's saying a lot since I really don't even want Griffin unless we can somehow add a stud WR, RB, and RT all in the same draft.

  • Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #12

    So when the price of top picks in the draft gets cut in half, we decide we want to pay big buchs for an unproven back up?

  • PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by
    #13

    These are my options at QB.

    1)Ride this thing out with Colt McCoy, we're not sure what we have in him yet.

    2)If we must sign a QB every year I'd like to bring in Brock Oswieler from ASU to backup Colt.

    3)If those aren't good enough than I'd much rather take RG3 than Flynn.

    4)... Shurmur said that he's going to talk to Andrew Luck and they can say or write that however they want- maybe they trade the farm for Luck? In this case this option is the wildcard that trumps poor Colt.

  • this has holmgren written all over it. just cause its a similar situation to scott mitchell's doesn't mean flynn will end up the same. youre smarter than that gipper.

    flyyn is a nice option that only costs money...something we have plenty of. how is this anymore risky than trading picks for griffin?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @choco said:

    this has holmgren written all over it. just cause its a similar situation to scott mitchell's doesn't mean flynn will end up the same. youre smarter than that gipper.

    flyyn is a nice option that only costs money...something we have plenty of. how is this anymore risky than trading picks for griffin?

    It is not a matter of being "smart". The truth is, no one knows. I was just speculating. Sure, instead of the next Scott Mitchell he could be the next Johhny Unitas for all I know.

    No one knows.

  • BendMeOverB BendMeOver wrote on last edited by
    #15

    If you gave up your #1 pick (#4 overall) for Matt Flynn, that would be the king of stupid, Mike Wallace would be a far better investment. As other posters have said, Matt Flynn is still too much of an unknown commodity, and I suspect he's kinda a one hit wonder. The Browns would be better served going after RGIII.

  • If you gave up your #1 pick (#4 overall) for Matt Flynn, that would be the king of stupid, Mike Wallace would be a far better investment. As other posters have said, Matt Flynn is still too much of an unknown commodity, and I suspect he's kinda a one hit wonder. The Browns would be better served going after RGIII.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #16

    Endymion said:

    If you gave up your #1 pick (#4 overall) for Matt Flynn, that would be the king of stupid, Mike Wallace would be a far better investment. As other posters have said, Matt Flynn is still too much of an unknown commodity, and I suspect he's kinda a one hit wonder. The Browns would be better served going after RGIII.

    Yes, I agree. Anderson had a few good games until opposing defensive co-coordinators figured him out. Hate to ditto that for McCoy, but I'm starting to get the feeling it's true. Green Bay would be nuts to franchise Flynn- but giving up both first rounders to draft RGIII is both a cheaper and better option IMHO.

    Cassell, Kolb, Mitchell- Oh MY!!!!

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #17

    How much would you trade away to get Luck?

  • How much would you trade away to get Luck?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @mld-woody said:

    How much would you trade away to get Luck?

    It's not how much the Browns would trade away- it's how much the Colts are going to ask. And it's not going to be realistic. I've heard three first rounders thrown out.

    In actuality, the Colts aren't going to trade out of the first pick at any price. They see Manning II.

  • R Represent wrote on last edited by
    #19

    I woke up this morning with a text from my friends in GreenBay

    Hey J You owe a thank you to the city of GreenBay and all it's fans for your future franchise probowl QB !!Flynning!!

    I almost threwup a little in my mouth I am hoping this Canton kid is completely off and GreenBay wants to suck our tits for our first round picks and HELL NO i ain't down with that.

  • Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Zombo said:

    I haven't watched the Packers-Lions game, so I haven't really seen him play since his only year as a starter in college where he won the National Championship and played really well in beating Ohio St. for the title, but I don't remember being impressed with him as a pro prospect. His scouting report out of college is not that impressive.

    Everyone went gaga for Kelly Holcomb after one huge relief start as well, but once teams got a book on him the next season he was what we was ... average at best.

    The Browns staff would have connections in the Packer staff, they are all WCO treeers, so I would think they would have a good idea of where they value him.

    My thought is that for a team that has ached so long without a franchise QB, to bring in a 7th rounder to compete with the 3rd rounder is doing a disservice to the franchise when you hold #4 and #21 and there are two franchise QBs in the Top 5, one of whom you would have a real shot at, and he seems perfectly fit for the WCO.

    Maybe I'm just too tantalized by Griffin, I know Holmgren picked Favre and Hasslebeck off of other rosters and we've seen other WCO QBs like Brunnell come off another roster and have success ... BUT ... as a Browns fan give me a guy with blue chip long-term potential like Griffin, he could still be an asset if Holmgren and co. fail and we are starting over in two years, as opposed to Flynn, who, if he crashes then Shurmur, Holmgren and the rest are probably gone and we are starting all over with no franchise QB again.

    Zombo

  • @mld-woody said:

    How much would you trade away to get Luck?

    It's not how much the Browns would trade away- it's how much the Colts are going to ask. And it's not going to be realistic. I've heard three first rounders thrown out.

    In actuality, the Colts aren't going to trade out of the first pick at any price. They see Manning II.

    cribbs is the manC cribbs is the man wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @hoorta said:

    It's not how much the Browns would trade away- it's how much the Colts are going to ask. And it's not going to be realistic. I've heard three first rounders thrown out.

    In actuality, the Colts aren't going to trade out of the first pick at any price. They see Manning II.

    3 first rounders?? sign me up. We're seriously considering spending 2 first rounders on RGIII.. Luck is the most "sure thing" QB since Manning (Peyton). Id be thrilled and I usually am the guy who is excited to trade back for more draft picks..

  • slimdawgS slimdawg wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Zombo said:

    I haven't watched the Packers-Lions game, so I haven't really seen him play since his only year as a starter in college where he won the National Championship and played really well in beating Ohio St. for the title, but I don't remember being impressed with him as a pro prospect. His scouting report out of college is not that impressive.

    Everyone went gaga for Kelly Holcomb after one huge relief start as well, but once teams got a book on him the next season he was what we was ... average at best.

    The Browns staff would have connections in the Packer staff, they are all WCO treeers, so I would think they would have a good idea of where they value him.

    My thought is that for a team that has ached so long without a franchise QB, to bring in a 7th rounder to compete with the 3rd rounder is doing a disservice to the franchise when you hold #4 and #21 and there are two franchise QBs in the Top 5, one of whom you would have a real shot at, and he seems perfectly fit for the WCO.

    Maybe I'm just too tantalized by Griffin, I know Holmgren picked Favre and Hasslebeck off of other rosters and we've seen other WCO QBs like Brunnell come off another roster and have success ... BUT ... as a Browns fan give me a guy with blue chip long-term potential like Griffin, he could still be an asset if Holmgren and co. fail and we are starting over in two years, as opposed to Flynn, who, if he crashes then Shurmur, Holmgren and the rest are probably gone and we are starting all over with no franchise QB again.

    Zombo

    BINGO!! I was thinking the exact same thing about Flynn and Holcomb.

  • @hoorta said:

    It's not how much the Browns would trade away- it's how much the Colts are going to ask. And it's not going to be realistic. I've heard three first rounders thrown out.

    In actuality, the Colts aren't going to trade out of the first pick at any price. They see Manning II.

    3 first rounders?? sign me up. We're seriously considering spending 2 first rounders on RGIII.. Luck is the most "sure thing" QB since Manning (Peyton). Id be thrilled and I usually am the guy who is excited to trade back for more draft picks..

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @cribbs-is-the-man said:

    3 first rounders?? sign me up. We're seriously considering spending 2 first rounders on RGIII.. Luck is the most "sure thing" QB since Manning (Peyton). Id be thrilled and I usually am the guy who is excited to trade back for more draft picks..

    yeah but he's not as cute as the guy from milli vanilli

    millivanillil.jpg

    "RG3 steps back, looks for little he's not open, turns left, OMG he just slipped on his jerri curls!"

  • Zombo said:

    I haven't watched the Packers-Lions game, so I haven't really seen him play since his only year as a starter in college where he won the National Championship and played really well in beating Ohio St. for the title, but I don't remember being impressed with him as a pro prospect. His scouting report out of college is not that impressive.

    Everyone went gaga for Kelly Holcomb after one huge relief start as well, but once teams got a book on him the next season he was what we was ... average at best.

    The Browns staff would have connections in the Packer staff, they are all WCO treeers, so I would think they would have a good idea of where they value him.

    My thought is that for a team that has ached so long without a franchise QB, to bring in a 7th rounder to compete with the 3rd rounder is doing a disservice to the franchise when you hold #4 and #21 and there are two franchise QBs in the Top 5, one of whom you would have a real shot at, and he seems perfectly fit for the WCO.

    Maybe I'm just too tantalized by Griffin, I know Holmgren picked Favre and Hasslebeck off of other rosters and we've seen other WCO QBs like Brunnell come off another roster and have success ... BUT ... as a Browns fan give me a guy with blue chip long-term potential like Griffin, he could still be an asset if Holmgren and co. fail and we are starting over in two years, as opposed to Flynn, who, if he crashes then Shurmur, Holmgren and the rest are probably gone and we are starting all over with no franchise QB again.

    Zombo

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @kosar_for_president said:

    At least he can hit a guy in stride. Pretty accurate on deep passes. RGIII has a better arm & is way more mobile.

  • @kosar_for_president said:

    At least he can hit a guy in stride. Pretty accurate on deep passes. RGIII has a better arm & is way more mobile.

    BrownIndianB BrownIndian wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @hoorta said:

    At least he can hit a guy in stride. Pretty accurate on deep passes. RGIII has a better arm & is way more mobile.

    Wasn't DA too in 2007? The first half .... If we could showcase the Browns Vs Bengals game and say DA was trade - what do u think will be the going price? What was the going price after 2008?

    I would rather take a risk with RG3 than lose draft picks and big money.

  • @hoorta said:

    At least he can hit a guy in stride. Pretty accurate on deep passes. RGIII has a better arm & is way more mobile.

    Wasn't DA too in 2007? The first half .... If we could showcase the Browns Vs Bengals game and say DA was trade - what do u think will be the going price? What was the going price after 2008?

    I would rather take a risk with RG3 than lose draft picks and big money.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @brownindian said:

    Wasn't DA too in 2007? The first half .... If we could showcase the Browns Vs Bengals game and say DA was trade - what do u think will be the going price? What was the going price after 2008?

    I would rather take a risk with RG3 than lose draft picks and big money.

    Nah- DA was always a statue. Never learned to take something off the fastball either. Your point about one great game is well taken.

    I was just commenting on what I saw.

    I'm with you 100% on RGIII over Flynn. Give a guy who had one good game $5 million plus? You kidding me? Hey, Flynn winds up in Miami, Manning in Washington, and it's looking good for the Browns- they might even be able to lowball the Rams for the #2 pick. πŸ™‚

  • @brownindian said:

    Wasn't DA too in 2007? The first half .... If we could showcase the Browns Vs Bengals game and say DA was trade - what do u think will be the going price? What was the going price after 2008?

    I would rather take a risk with RG3 than lose draft picks and big money.

    Nah- DA was always a statue. Never learned to take something off the fastball either. Your point about one great game is well taken.

    I was just commenting on what I saw.

    I'm with you 100% on RGIII over Flynn. Give a guy who had one good game $5 million plus? You kidding me? Hey, Flynn winds up in Miami, Manning in Washington, and it's looking good for the Browns- they might even be able to lowball the Rams for the #2 pick. πŸ™‚

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @hoorta said:

    Nah- DA was always a statue. Never learned to take something off the fastball either. Your point about one great game is well taken.

    I was just commenting on what I saw.

    I'm with you 100% on RGIII over Flynn. Give a guy who had one good game $5 million plus? You kidding me? Hey, Flynn winds up in Miami, Manning in Washington, and it's looking good for the Browns- they might even be able to lowball the Rams for the #2 pick. πŸ™‚

    I would have liked to see Colt given better tools (may still happen), HOWEVER, RG3 is very impressive & I WOULD be pleased were the Browns to land him.

    Flynn???...Can we say Kelly Holcomb (1 game wonder)? One of the big raps on Flynn out of college was his weak arm. I guess that since it was strong enough for 1 game, it will be fine for 16 & playoffs? How is Flynn proven as a QB enough to deserve a big payday AND cost us valuable draft pick(s) in a pretty strong draft? Some folks are having what my Dad referred to as "pipe dreams" over Flynn. PLEASE, Browns, say NO to Flynn!!! If you spend picks, spend 'em on RG3.

    Mike

  • TypicalBrownsT TypicalBrowns wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @king-ghoolie-lives said:

    For Poetic G, and the rest of the idiots out there whot hink Colt McCoy is a "stud".

    Even the Browns are not stupid enough to keep this shit QB in the saddle.

    were not saying he's a "stud", just saying he's not the downgrade hurting the team like everyone else says.

    People speak of being able to make it in the NFL by saying "this guy doesnt have IT" after a yr and a half of seeing him play, like they can read the midi cloriens in his blood to see if he posseses "the force".

    Watch manning, brady, brees, favre, marino, elway, kosar, graham in their first years and tell me they look like NFL QBs who have "it".

    It takes time adapting to this level of play in the NFL. McCoy can do it.

  • B bringbackbrownie2 wrote on last edited by bringbackbrownie2
    #29

    @king-ghoolie-lives said:

    ALL the QBs you names were CLEARLY stars in their rookie years.

    Any QB who has ever had success in their rookie years was surrounded by offensive talent.

    This is not about McCoy making rookie mistakes, it is about him NEVER making athletic plays. It is about him not WOWING ANYONE on EVEN A SINGLE PLAY.

    Actually I can think of several plays right off the top of my head. Although most are from 2010. McCoy had that 17 yard sneak vs. the Pats where he dove into the endzone. He has also had several other plays where he broke a few tackles and hit a receiver for a 1st down. And even you can't forget the game winning drive against Miami this past year. You even commented after the game that he was outstanding on that final drive.

    McCoy probably isn't a franchise QB, but he is a solid backup. So don't act like he doesn't even belong in the NFL. The Browns will hold onto him at least until the end of his cheap contract for that very reason.

    It's also hilarious that you think Seneca "pick 6" Wallace is any better.