Skip to content

Oscars 2012

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
6 2 965
  • Oscars 2012

    OK I’m already pissed off at the glut at Best Picture but since deadline is before the Oscars I’m stuck with the predictions as they are.

    I think the politically correct THE HELP, while not really being Oscar worthy will get a couple in best actress and supporting actress for Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer. Meryl Streep again owns the year’s best performance as Maggie Thatcher. But......

    Supporting actor looks to be Christopher Plummer for BEGINNERS, one that I missed. His close competition is Max Von Sydow and both nominations may be augmented by longevity.

    Best actor, according to the oddsmakers is George Clooney for THE DESCENDANTS, and if he wins will be a purely political gift for a mediocre performance in a mediocre film. Jean Dujardin in THE ARTIST deserves the win.

    I’d like to see THE ARTIST take best picture and that’s what I’m betting on.

    Michel Hazanavicius deserves and will likely take best director though Scorcese might surprise us.

    Woody Allen gets gold for the MIDNIGHT IN PARIS screenplay.

    Place your bets. Oops. Too late……

    I wrote this last week so things may have changed in Vegas but.....

    WSS

  • Hi kids!

    Not bad for a week before the show ha?

    Glad to see the academy decided to step up in a couple of places and not succumb to political pressure.

    WSS

  • Really the show has gotten political. And who would ever watch a movie that was silent movie as though seemed to be, not in the movies that you pay to watch. Only critics would watch that. Glad that Billy Crystal was back. Only good thing!

  • The Artist was great.

    And I'm not kidding.

    WSS

  • Well may need to see it. As you seem to be the movie expert!

  • Well may need to see it. As you seem to be the movie expert!

    @jppt1974 said:

    Well may need to see it. As you seem to be the movie expert!

    No such thing.

    I hate some things and love sone things that other "critics" completely duisagree with.

    It's all subjective.

    😁

    Actually I thought I'd hate it until I sat down and watched for 10 minutes!!

    WSS